Champions of Europe 2012/13 Thread

Philip Rolfe

Not if we play the same we did against Steau no but I don't think we will. Whilst the Steau game was awful, it had that feeling of just play enough to win 1-0 and then beat them at home. However we actually played worse than that and Steau punished us, even if their only real chance was the penalty that shouldn't have been given :D Plus we will actually have a striker this weekend :thup:

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I actually wouldn't be particularly surprised if Torres does start, we play just as badly as Thursday and lose 2 or 3-0.

Also, hasn't Howard Webb been confirmed as ref? If so, then I fully expect some decisions that make the slightly debatable decision the other night to pale in comparison.

Just read this on The Guardian:

"Rafael Benítez has been in charge of Chelsea for 29 games, and in not one has he picked a midfield five of Mikel, Lampard; Mata, Oscar, Hazard."

I hadn't really thought about it tbh. I guess it's not a massive shock as he clearly didn't want to play Oscar at the start and then Mikel went to ACoN, but it's still a little surprising.

Looking forward to watching the rugby more than the football tomorrow.

Yeah same here, may well end up watching Liverpool Spurs instead of us too, don;t think it's gunna be a fun afternoon

On a lighter note, I'm hoping the rumours of Deen-Conteh going to Bournemouth on loan are true as I'll be seeing them 3 times over the next few weeks so will be able to see/report back on how he does :thup:

He might regret not starting Terry. Would be better to have him playing today, rested against Steau and then play against West Ham. Also would have put Hazard in. Wasn't great against Steau but he has the ability to do something extraordinary. Saying that he will be good coming off the bench in the last 30 mins. Although this is Benitez so he will probably get 5 mins at the end.

I have to say it would be better to play Mata today and rest him against Steau. I think we can beat them without him, we just have to play much much better.

Think we may well get completely embarrassed today, 5-0 wouldn't surprise me. Awful team again, just have no hope today at all. Really hope I'm wrong but just ergh

My most optimistic prediction is a 4-1 defeat, just gotta hope Benitez walks for it (though I'm not hopeful ofc)

There's no need for the team to be that strong (excluding the omission of Terry), for me we should be resting all our best players to hold onto the Champions League spot. As for Benitez never picking the midfield five, much as I can't stand defending the giant buffoon, I still think Mikel and Lampard are too slow to be effective at controlling the midfield, as shown against Atletico in the Super Cup. One could also argue that Mata, Oscar and Hazard are a bit too similar to play together, hence Moses often getting a nod, but I'm not quite so convinced something couldn't be done with a competent manager.

EDIT: Brilliant goal from Carrick and Chicharito. Have a feeling there could be a lot of this.

What is Benitez doing? I haven't seen many non United games this season and I didn't realise he has been so bad. Why is he fighting with Terry (according to my commentators)?

From what I've read Benitez had a go at the team after one of our **** performances, and Terry had a go back in defence of the players (and quite right too, the players have been poor but Benitez makes the situation much, much worse) and Benitez has taken it to heart. Could be bollocks but it wouldn't surprise me.

Lampard off. I'm past despair, it's just funny now :cool:

I know it's easy to say now, but bringing Mikel on wasn't a bad idea. Whether it was for Rambo or Lampard, I wouldn't have particularly minded (obviously hindsight helps here), but the idea of bringing Mikel on to gain some more control was a needed one. Having said that, Mikel should have started.

Lampard was pretty poor today.
I know it's easy to say now, but bringing Mikel on wasn't a bad idea. Whether it was for Rambo or Lampard, I wouldn't have particularly minded (obviously hindsight helps here), but the idea of bringing Mikel on to gain some more control was a needed one. Having said that, Mikel should have started.

Just said in the other thread actually, credit to him, bringing Mikel on has worked. Thought at the time it should've been for Rambo, that was my main problem really. Should've been Obi starting anyway.

Ended up playing quite well by the end, but having another match added to our schedule is frankly the last thing we needed. Deserved to win based on the second half performance, and some credit to Benitez for that I suppose, but rationally, a loss would in some ways have been preferable to a replay since I really can't see us winning the Cup (and I'd rather Benitez not win anything).

That second half was the most I have enjoyed a game for weeks, maybe even months. After the subs and the change in tactics the team just seemed so energized and alert, have got so used to the limp, flacid performances like Thursday night I almost forgot how good this team can be.

Archived