The 2012-2013 Manchester United Thread: Thank you, Sir Alex

ddidiodion

• Replies 12.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Only team that will be annoyed this weekend is Chelsea, after an amazing result at Stoke they would have expected to gain points on at least 1 title rival.

Not really, Spurs, Everton and Arsenal (looks like) losing points solidifies 3rd spot for us

Thought we were really good in the first half, Liverpool very very poor. We got the second and started to sit deeper.

Cleverley and Carrick were awesome first half. Welbeck very good also. RVP is.......... well RVP

What could have been a 10 point lead I fear will be nothing more than 4 at 6pm next Sunday.

Spurs aren't beating us next week, they used up all their luck at OT

EDIT: fully expect 8/9 changes for West Ham, don't think they will play their strongest team now its a reply either.

RvP looked absolutely shattered towards the end though, think we may need to bench him against West Ham, play him against Spuds then rest him again against Southampton.

would be shocked to see him included. west ham looked ***** against sunderland and a game 4 days later will really test their squad. should roll them with our 2nd string really.

Referee was poo today too. How anyone can say Webb favours us baffles me.

Maybe the strange myth that he favours us is getting to him. Certainly could have gotten a lot of calls differently today, like red on the chap who felled Welbeck, penalty on Kagawa (would have been harsh by normal reffing standards but correct by the book, like some other events today...) and red for Glen Johnson's persistent fouling. Don't think there was anything wildly wrong today, but there is a fairly long history of not really getting the decisions from him. Yet the myth lives on.

Anyway... hope we can get at least a draw at Spurs. Don't think City will drop many points going forward now, so we need to keep up the pressure. Hopefully a second-ish string team can sort out WH mid-week and then we are fresh for Spurs. A lot of potential banana skins coming up now in the league, but I hope we continue to win and keep the pressure on City. It wouldn't be fun at all with a repeat of last season. On that note, I'm glad they didn't murder Arse today, as it looked like they would.

Maybe the strange myth that he favours us is getting to him. Certainly could have gotten a lot of calls differently today, like red on the chap who felled Welbeck, penalty on Kagawa (would have been harsh by normal reffing standards but correct by the book, like some other events today...) and red for Glen Johnson's persistent fouling. Don't think there was anything wildly wrong today, but there is a fairly long history of not really getting the decisions from him. Yet the myth lives on.

loads of niggly **** in the middle of the park that we didn't get. kagawa penner was down the other end so can't comment but thought skrtel certainly should have gone for the welbeck foul.

thought Evra and Rafael were exceptional today both attacking and defending - Young played well and it really showed Valencia up when he came on - the guy looks completely shot of confidence - when Young outplays you attacking and defensively then you've got to worry! Kagawa was okay but just looks like a little boy against men, he needs to bulk up more. Delighted with RVP and Welbeck today, linked really well. Welbz just needs a goal and he will be a mighty player; he's starting to remind me of a young Rooney when he lost his confidence to shoot but worked his socks off every game linking well. Thought we stopped pressing as a team the second half and let them run at us more - Cleverley and Carrick needed more help then which is why I assume Jones came on but surely Ando would've been so much better! Not sure Jones offers us anything at the moment - would he be better getting action on loan?

Fletcher seems to have disappeared atm, not sure he can give us much going forward.

Team for Wed:

DDG, Rafael, Jones, Smalling, Buttner, Ando, Scholes, Valencia, Nani, Welbz, Chicha

Rooney, Giggs on bench plus assorted others.

Did anyone notice Vidic holding his knee and grimacing after he went down btw? Bloody well hope it's nothing serious. He played on, so hopefully all is well. I'm just really nervous about him, because it was an incredibly serious injury. Not sure something like that can ever get 100% fixed.

Team for Wed:

DDG, Rafael, Jones, Smalling, Buttner, Ando, Scholes, Valencia, Nani, Welbz, Chicha

Rooney, Giggs on bench plus assorted others.

would be inclined to give rafael a rest. although i've just realised michael keane is on loan so not sure who we could rotate with?

Did anyone notice Vidic holding his knee and grimacing after he went down btw? Bloody well hope it's nothing serious. He played on, so hopefully all is well. I'm just really nervous about him, because it was an incredibly serious injury. Not sure something like that can ever get 100% fixed.

Didn't notice. Happens with me every time van Persie goes down.

thought he was suffering with concussion or something seeing it live but guardian now reporting a knee injury too :( and apparently young left the ground on crutches.

Didn't notice. Happens with me every time van Persie goes down.
thought he was suffering with concussion or something seeing it live but guardian now reporting a knee injury too :( and apparently young left the ground on crutches.

****! They're reporting him as injured? :( :( :(

vid.jpg

Spurs aren't beating us next week, they used up all their luck at OT

Yeah, not a chance they're beating us at OT and WHL in successive games (antijinx to be turned on sometime Saturday evening).

I think Valencia has to play these games to try to find some form

He's played week in week out for most of the season and been largely abominable.

For all we know, maybe Fletcher has had a setback with his illness again. Hasn't been on the bench for a while, has he?

Came on at the end of the boxing day match against Newcastle.

Referee was poo today too. How anyone can say Webb favours us baffles me.

Ha, was wondering where the vitriol for Webb was. Was utterly pathetic today. Started off seemingly wanting to avoid any kind of controversy - 'Liverpool keeper down but they want to play on... best let them then... oh hang on, United are countering now, best blow up', plus any counter where a Liverpool player came off worse in a 50-50 - better blow up to be on the safe side. And for the sake of balance - the freekick that Vidic blatantly headed behind which was given as a GK.

Then it seemed like the slightest gust of wind was a free-kick to the Scousers. That quickly taken freekick towards the end where Sturridge fired into the side netting as the clock ticked 90' - not a chance we get to do that; every time we tried to take a quick short freekick Webb pulled it back, allowing Lucas and friends to get away with disrupting our tempo with cynical fouls. Allen and Gerrard pull players back on the edge of the box as we're on the verge of opening them up - no yellow. Skrtel climbs all over Welbeck as the ball's dropping to his feet, one-on-one with Reina, yellow (fair enough could go either way, but were it Vidic on Sturridge, say, then I reckon the red is coming out. Maybe two). And then a blatant ankle tap from GlenJo on Valencia as he's about to break on the counter doesn't produce a bread-and-butter second yellow? Farce. That said, the ridiculous sending off of Ronnie at Eastlands didn't stop the conspiracy talk so I doubt that shambles will.

Performance wise, we seemed fine until the shock of their goal, at which point we seemed to unravel somewhat. Defence was very solid, de Gea not called into much action beyond the shot before the goal; centre-halves went about their business well and kept Suarez and later Sturridge quiet or in safe areas. Rafa and Evra both played well overall as noted above, but let themselves down for me with Rafa not being switched on enough for the goal and Evra with that suicidal back pass and generally overplaying at the back at times.

Carrick and Cleverley \o/ So, so glad Fergie finally seems to be seeing sense and rightfully picking these two as the big game midfield pairing. Utterly dominant for an hour, then got pulled out of the game a bit (will go into more detail below). Cleverley continues to grow with each game that passes, some lovely play and very unlucky with the effort with his swinger that just faded past the far post. Let himself down a bit with the hospital pass for Carrick for the goal. Seems sometimes to expect others to be as comfortable receiving the ball in tight areas at pace as he does - can't decide whether that's more his fault or just his teammates not being good enough though :D Carrick was in atypical Rolls-Royce form, my MotM. Obviously stats don't paint the whole picture but he drew three fouls (as many as anyone else); made five tackles (second only to Rafael (7(!)); and completed 84% of his 67 passes (only Cleverley (90% (obvs) of 73 and Kagawa 91% of 43 the only players other than the centre halves better than him ). Probably out player of the season so far.

Young was alright, some good moments, some where he didn't seem to know what to do or where to go. Seems a bit lost on the right at times. Was made to look very good by another catshit awful performance from Valencia though. One run shortly after he came on looked to make him think he'd earned his wages for the week. Was laughable in that passage where he took about four touches to control the ball as it kept ricocheting off him until he finally found Carrick, who coolly knocked it back to him - taking a couple or three Liverpool players in the process - to which Tony acted like he'd been passed a bomb. Looked like a competition winner. Far, far too ponderous too often too, always worry when he gets the ball in our half that he's going to lost possession in a dangerous area because he doesn't seem to have the ability to squeeze a pass to a teammate out of a tight corner. Seems to hope for a freekick or to buy a throw each time. Just doesn't seem to fit with our style of play - the quick passing style that brought us the opener - anymore.

Kagawa looked promising on the left at times, though the concept of crossing the ball seemed a complete anathema to him. All went to pot in the second half when Liverpool pushed men forward and he moved inside to try and match up the bodies in midfield, appeared to struggle with the lack of space and maybe the degree of pressing in the middle of the park. Just didn't seem to get a foothold and probably could have been withdrawn 10-15 minutes before he was. Would've put Ando on rather than Jones to busy himself about Gerrard and Allen and still have the potential for a killer sliderule pass or driving run from deep. Looked like Fergie wanted to go to the 4-1-4-1 that's served us well earlier in the season, but Gerrard and Allen were sat so deep that Carrick was having to either press so high that he'd undo some of the best parts of his game (i.e. sitting deep to pick off final third passes and win headers in front of the back four) or afford them too much time by playing his natural game.

Welbz was very good I thought, nice for him to have another game in something approaching his favoured #10 role where he's always delivered for us to my recollection. Some great runs from deep and wonderful movement. Bit unlucky with his finishing but I wonder whether he's going to have a bit of a misleading rep because people misunderstand the kind of player he is; seeing a quick, skillful (black?) forward who must therefore surely be an off the shoulder poacher (the role he has played a lot for us since Fergie thought he and Rooney were too deep against Spurs at the start of last season), where in reality he wants to play in the hole, drifting wide and deep to run at the defence and work quick combinations with the midfield and attack. Obviously needs to improve his goal output somewhat but I don't think he's ever going to be hugely prolific as his natural game just doesn't see him get into those positions often enough.

RvP was RvP. In the early stages of the game I found myself really nervous, suddenly realising just how much I simply expect him to score, like we have a goal start on the opposition. Then started to get flashes of him rupturing his cruciates. Then he scored, of course. Another very good performance, so unlucky that at least one of the backheels didn't go in.

For Weds:

DdG; Valencia, Smalling, Jones, Buttner; Nani, Fletcher, Anderson, Giggs; Hernandez, Welbeck. Lindegaard (DdG) and Powell (Giggs or Welbeck) in if they're fit.

Just a little point about why we shouldn't be judging de Gea (not that many, if any in here are). But I shall ask this question. David de Gea has played 87 hours (5,220 minutes) in goal for United before today's game. How many minutes has he had our first choice* centre back pairing of Ferdinand & Vidic playing infront of him?

I will post the answer at some point tomorrow.

*For the purpose of the question Ferdinand & Vidic are classed as our best pairing.

I think it's just over 100 now? Think it was 50+ minutes before the match

Also, it's so easy to jump on De Gea parrying the ball out. Yes, you'd like him to get the ball to the side but that's not a realistic ask every time. His first concern should be getting his body in front of the ball any means necessary (but god forbid he save with his feet, that just means he's dodgy...), then if possible he should try to push it wide. Where were the defenders? Why was Sturridge the only one following in?

saw vidic clutching his knee to during the game, i'm already assuming the worst :(

have people really been jumping on DDG? in no way was he responsible for that goal... rafa should have been more alert if anyone was to blame. (and whoever was fannying around with the ball outside the area)

another catshit awful performance from Valencia though. One run shortly after he came on looked to make him think he'd earned his wages for the week. Was laughable in that passage where he took about four touches to control the ball as it kept ricocheting off him until he finally found Carrick, who coolly knocked it back to him - taking a couple or three Liverpool players in the process - to which Tony acted like he'd been passed a bomb. Looked like a competition winner. Far, far too ponderous too often too, always worry when he gets the ball in our half that he's going to lost possession in a dangerous area because he doesn't seem to have the ability to squeeze a pass to a teammate out of a tight corner. Seems to hope for a freekick or to buy a throw each time. Just doesn't seem to fit with our style of play - the quick passing style that brought us the opener - anymore.

High praise indeed! :lol:

To be sure, I thought he had a poor game. They showed a close-up of him in about the 70th minute, at which point I was reminded that he was actually out there. Rarely a good sign :D If it's true he has pretty serious back issues, though, he's quite the fighter who can play at all. Maybe this partly explains why he isn't nearly as effective or confident for us right now. Hopefully he gets back to his usual self over the next 1-2 months. Most players tend to have off periods during the season.

Another factor is that teams usually double or even triple up on him now, because they know how dangerous he can be if allowed space. This makes him look crap, because he is no Nani that can jiggle himself out of a telephone boot with the ball at his feet, but it does open up space for others centrally and on the left.

I just don't get why Kagawa hasn't settled into the team and league better. He was so freaking good in Germany, and now he seems off somehow. It's a more physical league I suppose and he's not a tank, but they press plenty aggressively in Germany too, and he dealt with it excellently there. Can only hope he finds his place soon, because he can be a fantastic player. Honestly thought he'd give us 15-20 goals+assists and it's obviously nowhere near that (though he has been injured for most of the season so far).

Will be great to have Nani back, especially now when Valencia is out of form. Hope he can come back to his best for us. Should get good chances on the right now when Valencia is off colour. Hope Young's injury today wasn't serious, and bloody well hope Vidic' isn't.

Surely it's van Persie?
Yeah, Carricks in a group of players (Rafael etc.) who have been brilliant all season, RvP has been something else entirely.

Ha, what a bloody idiot. As I put in my post, I just sort of expect him to score now. How spoiled am I :D? Disregard that bit - Carra at number two though!

I just don't get why Kagawa hasn't settled into the team and league better. He was so freaking good in Germany, and now he seems off somehow. It's a more physical league I suppose and he's not a tank, but they press plenty aggressively in Germany too, and he dealt with it excellently there. Can only hope he finds his place soon, because he can be a fantastic player. Honestly thought he'd give us 15-20 goals+assists and it's obviously nowhere near that (though he has been injured for most of the season so far).

has been out with injury for a long period and not really been played in his best position. don't really buy any of the stuff about not being physical enough - look at mata, silva etc

We don't use him right.

He should be played as attacking midfielder with no defensive duties. no need to track back and get behind the ball. then when the ball breaks he has all the space he needs to do his stuff.

Right now we have him playing like Park Mark II. Running round hassling for the ball, playing in a midfield three or from the left.

We have never played like that though, and as we are finding it, it will be difficult to fit him in.

Archived