Sports Interactive Community
wwfan

Stupid Questions Thread (Tactic and Training Questions Only)

Just a quick question, without going too much into deep details. My team has quite many strikers, all of them are mobile, skilled, but lack at heading, so they are quite suited to play as deep laying forward, trequartista, false nine etc. Most of the time, I have used AF/CF + DLF/F9 combination, which right now is not possible, I have tried to see how it would work, but results weren't good, anyone I fielded was suffering.

What would seem to you as a sensible combination of roles for two mobile and skilled strikers?

Just a quick question, without going too much into deep details. My team has quite many strikers, all of them are mobile, skilled, but lack at heading, so they are quite suited to play as deep laying forward, trequartista, false nine etc. Most of the time, I have used AF/CF + DLF/F9 combination, which right now is not possible, I have tried to see how it would work, but results weren't good, anyone I fielded was suffering.

What would seem to you as a sensible combination of roles for two mobile and skilled strikers?

Impossible to say unless you can be bothered to go into those deep details. The full set up and how you are playing is the biggest factor on what is a viable combo for you due to everything being able to work. Also unless your tactic was focused on pumping the ball into the box, I don't see how any of those roles would suffer from someone with a lack of heading, something else will be the cause for the results and I highly doubt it was the heading that was the deciding factor. Those combo's work fine with players without heading.

Apologies for repeating the post, but if someone could clarify this for me:

I'm not sure if this is a stupid one, but is there any way to tell my team to move the ball with higher tempo / more direct passing if possession is recovered high and to build more their play if possession is recovered more deep ?

Thanks

You're right Cleon, I was being lazy there. I apologise.

I'm using a 3-5-2 WB/DM formation, control strategy and fluid.

GK defend

CD stopper, CD cover, CD stopper

WBR attack, DLP defend, WBL support

B2B support, CM attack

DLF support, AF or CF attack

I use push higher D line and pass into space shouts most of the time, sometimes trying to adjust to the opponent via narrower/wider shape and/or exploit sides/middle shouts.

The thing is, my AF/CF player seems to get rather isolated, he is often just there, I would say being useless. No goals, no assists, neither movements to help out others. I'm not able to tell whether it's because of the personnel I have at my disposal (as mentioned before, quick and skilled, but under 10 at jumping, heading, strength, I'm playing 2nd tier in Spain to give an overall idea of the situation), or just a wrong roles/duties selection?

Apologies for repeating the post, but if someone could clarify this for me:

I'm not sure if this is a stupid one, but is there any way to tell my team to move the ball with higher tempo / more direct passing if possession is recovered high and to build more their play if possession is recovered more deep ?

Thanks

There is no way I know of to do directly what you are asking- there is probably a workaround where you could assign PI to your forward players which would be more direct and faster passing. This could work based on the idea that recovered up high balls would more likely be recovered by an advanced player. Outside of that, I am not aware of how you could accomplish this.

Guardiola has these atributes in editor. Do you think that my interpretations of attributes are correct ? And yes I know that these numbers are only a tendency

Attacking 10 - (standard mentality)

Depth 1 - (much higher defensive line)

Directness 1 (shorter passing)

Dirtines allowance 6 (stay on feet)

Flamboyancy 10 (flexible team shape)

Flexibility 17 (it means that he often changes tactic)

Free roles 18 (he use a lot of free roles or he use shout roam from positions)

Marking 7 (nothing to set but 20 could mean tighter marking)

Offside 16 (use offside trap)

Pressing 20 (close down much more)

Sitting back 2 (nothing to set but i could mean that he use defensive or contain mentality before end of the match)

Tempo 15 (higher tempo)

Use of playmaker 5 (nothing to set)

Use of subs 18 (he almost always use 3 subs in match)

width 12 (20 would mean he use play wider, but 12 is too low so i set nothing)

Guardiola preferred formation is 4-1-4-1 and he use these roles: sweeper/keeper, wing back, half back, ball-playing defender, deep-lying midfielder or advanced midfielder, wide midfielder, complete forward or false nine.

Do you agree that Guardiola play this way or not ?

I have a question about team talks. My manager stats are pretty low as I started with no coaching badges. Therefore there are other coaches at the club who have higher ratings for motivation. Suppose both me and one of the better coaches gave the same team talk would the players react better to the coach with the higher motivation stat?

Guardiola has these atributes in editor. Do you think that my interpretations of attributes are correct ? And yes I know that these numbers are only a tendency

Attacking 10 - (standard mentality)

Depth 1 - (much higher defensive line)

Directness 1 (shorter passing)

Dirtines allowance 6 (stay on feet)

Flamboyancy 10 (flexible team shape)

Flexibility 17 (it means that he often changes tactic)

Free roles 18 (he use a lot of free roles or he use shout roam from positions)

Marking 7 (nothing to set but 20 could mean tighter marking)

Offside 16 (use offside trap)

Pressing 20 (close down much more)

Sitting back 2 (nothing to set but i could mean that he use defensive or contain mentality before end of the match)

Tempo 15 (higher tempo)

Use of playmaker 5 (nothing to set)

Use of subs 18 (he almost always use 3 subs in match)

width 12 (20 would mean he use play wider, but 12 is too low so i set nothing)

Guardiola preferred formation is 4-1-4-1 and he use these roles: sweeper/keeper, wing back, half back, ball-playing defender, deep-lying midfielder or advanced midfielder, wide midfielder, complete forward or false nine.

Do you agree that Guardiola play this way or not ?

There's also an attribute about player's creative freedom set at 18, so More Expressive TI. I think the 1 in Defensive Line means Much Deeper and not Much Higher.

In my save the tactic is also a 4141 but with two FB (auto), 2 CD, 1 DM (suport), 1 MC (defend), 1 MC (auto), 2 WM (auto and attack) and one AF.

Guardiola changes a lot his tactics, roles, duties, between a 343, 3421, 3331 and even the last season's 4141 and 4231. And in FM you haven't roles like the box-to-box defender although you can go with a Libero. Alaba or Bernat also play as DM but then they play very wide stretching width, also impossible to replicate.

I have a question about team talks. My manager stats are pretty low as I started with no coaching badges. Therefore there are other coaches at the club who have higher ratings for motivation. Suppose both me and one of the better coaches gave the same team talk would the players react better to the coach with the higher motivation stat?

In theory they would, but honestly, the benefits/detriments of team talks are not all that great, even if you have all the badgers :D. They can provide a slight boost or damage for only the first ten minutes afterwards. The only longer benefit would be to improve match morale, but even then I don't consider it super important.

anyne got a good idea for southampton tactic?

As you should know by now, that isn't the sort of question we encourage. How do you think Southampton play? If you don't know, then why do you want to play in their style? If you do know, then what have you tried?

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/327822-Asking-For-Help-PLEASE-READ-THIS

So you expect people to spoonfeed you again? If you really want to know how they play, go watch a few of their games. Set the roles and TIs and test it YOURSELF. If it's not working, then post for help again.

cause i want to know how they play

Why? I've seen you say you're going to use someone's 4-4-2 with Leyton Orient either today or yesterday?

You've posted in the Southampton Good Player and Team section asking how they play? Do you want to be Saints, do you want to play in the Southampton style as Leyton Orient? Do you want to play 4-4-2? There's simply no consistency to your thought processes. You need to stop flitting from one idea to another and actually stick you your guns because at the moment, you're not helping yourself.

Then start it. Youve been warned a hundred times and given 100 bits of advice, but your persist with single line questions which are not relevant to this forum. Try posting more than 20 words in a single post and you might get better responses, and try keeping to the point of the thread that you post in - "anyone got a tactic for southampton" is not a "stupid questions (tactics and training only)" is it. Same with your 3 posts in a row in the 442 thread.

Its irritating for other posters. It probably cant make life easy for the hard working mods either. I will start using "report post" if you keep posting irrelevant nonsense, which just causes even more pain for the mods.

no i want to start a save with southampton.

OK. Well they have a good and versatile squad, and can play in any number of ways. If you want help, then you really need to start a new thread detailing the style of play you want to create and the steps you have taken to create that style (explicitly detail all Roles, Duties, TIs, PIs etc.). You don't need to know how Southampton play in real life to get them playing well in Football Manager.

At the moment, you are taking a scattergun approach to spamming the forums and there's no commitment to actually getting started and finding your feet with a save. Until you do that, there's not much anyone can do to help.

but i want to play with them like they do in real life u know how people recreate a style i like the way southampton are i dont want to invent

You don't though! You don't even know how they play so how on earth can you recreate their style? :seagull:

thats what im asking how do they play. i know its possession but is there pressing or. thats why im asking in the stupid thread cause i am lol

The point is - how do you know you want to play as Saints and in their style, if you don't even know what it is?! It's like saying you want to be able to play tennis like Nadal, but don't know if he's a serve and volley player or more of a baseline guy.

The point is - how do you know you want to play as Saints and in their style, if you don't even know what it is?! It's like saying you want to be able to play tennis like Nadal, but don't know if he's a serve and volley player or more of a baseline guy.

but i know they play nice passing flowing football just dont know the exact TI to uses etc. dont know why thats so hard tog et lol

thats what im asking how do they play. i know its possession but is there pressing or. thats why im asking in the stupid thread cause i am lol

My advice would be to not worry about how they play IRL. Just play the game. The way I see it, you have 2 options:

- Pick Southampton and pick any strategy you want to on your own.

- Watch YouTube clips, full matches and the Southampton team thread for clues and do it yourself. I can't imagine anyone sitting down and detailing exactly which players, roles, duties, TIs, PIs and Mentality you should use.

Stop feeding the troll guys.

In the last few days he's gone from wanting: a physical, hard working, direct style; a passing possession tactic with Brisbane Roar; a pressing possession style; a 4-4-2 with Leyton Orient; and now something with Southampton.

To quote Cleon in one of Jambo's threads:

"I've told him over the same thing. If it happens again lads, ignore him and either hit the report function or send me a PM and I'll delete his posts so it doesn't ruin the discussion or clog up the thread."

Koeman plays in a different way though :brock:

Like this guy would notice :)

It'll give him a base to build from, the style isnt that wholy different.

I've been trying to play 4-2-3-1 with a pair of BBM and BWM in the CM strata, recently, but I came across the advice NOT to rely on BWM as on the last line of defence among your midfielders, as BWM does not hold position and that will create tons of pressure on your defenders. Can you clarify, how valid this advice is and what role should I assign to my CM, that i want on the defending duty?

(DLP is not an option)

The advice is very valid and you'll easily see this (him leaving position to close down... everything) in a match. Any other Defend duty role would work. Your other options are only DLP/D and CM/D in the M strata.

I've just started up a new save with Châteauroux in Ligue 2 and I noticed that their pitch surface is synthetic, so I was wondering if different surface types actually affect your tactics/ how the players play etc?

I've just started up a new save with Châteauroux in Ligue 2 and I noticed that their pitch surface is synthetic, so I was wondering if different surface types actually affect your tactics/ how the players play etc?

Theoretically it does, albeit more so in terms of how weather affects the pitch, rather than the type of pitch itself. A water logged pitch should be harder to play a short passing game on. I'm not sure how FM replicates heavy rain on a synthetic pitch, so you probably need to look at the conditions in particularly crap weather.

Having said that, I've never honestly changed my approach, regardless of the conditions.

I've been trying to play 4-2-3-1 with a pair of BBM and BWM in the CM strata, recently, but I came across the advice NOT to rely on BWM as on the last line of defence among your midfielders, as BWM does not hold position and that will create tons of pressure on your defenders. Can you clarify, how valid this advice is and what role should I assign to my CM, that i want on the defending duty?

(DLP is not an option)

Why is DLP not an option? Its amongst the best and most essential roles for that type of system i would say?

Theoretically it does, albeit more so in terms of how weather affects the pitch, rather than the type of pitch itself. A water logged pitch should be harder to play a short passing game on. I'm not sure how FM replicates heavy rain on a synthetic pitch, so you probably need to look at the conditions in particularly crap weather.

Having said that, I've never honestly changed my approach, regardless of the conditions.

Thanks for clearing that up for me RTHerringbone.

Why is DLP not an option? Its amongst the best and most essential roles for that type of system i would say?

I just don't have a player, capable of defending and leading the game, my best playmaker has 10 in tackling and will simply fail, defending. So I guess, I'll have to stick to CM (d) with an instruction to close down less.

Thanks!

I'm confused about physical training and the intensity aspect of training, does it mean more time in the training field or more effort?

Does the game differ the categories of training regarding chances of injury?

Does the game differ the intensities of training regarding chances of injury?

Does the physical training category have a direct bearing on condition? Or it is only indirect (raising player's physical related attributes)

Does intensity on any area has a direct bearing on condition?

I'm planning my pre-season training and the official hints and tips informs:

Intense physical training is best carried out in pre-season, before the domestic season is under way.

Too much intense physical training during the season is likely to tire your players out faster and increase the risk of injuries. (what does the game means with "tire faster"?)

I have a dumb question about training.

Re youth (under18) i have read that you can spend a few years training just one physical attribute from age 16, say i wanted to increase strength. Should i train that on heavy? i have read that this is the way to do it. However the player is constantly complaining about high team training workload, advice from coaches is to reduce the individual load.

So two questions, why does the game say TEAM training for the complaint, but INDIVIDUAL for the advice? Also if i just left it, would the players unhappiness harm his progress?

thanks in advance

JoS

Any comments on posts 6252 and 6254 ? Thanks

This isn't really the place for a discussion about AI managers' hidden attributes.

In any case, the AI is adaptive and uses different approaches for different situations, so if you want to know how the AI is playing at any given time, you have to keep an eye on what's going on in the ME.

This isn't really the place for a discussion about AI managers' hidden attributes.

In any case, the AI is adaptive and uses different approaches for different situations, so if you want to know how the AI is playing at any given time, you have to keep an eye on what's going on in the ME.

Oh it wasn't really about how the AI is playing, nothing like that. Only if the assessment made in both posts were accurate when translated to tactics.

I can't find which thread I read it in, but how does the number of attack duty players relate to mentality for the AI? I am playing a team that changes its duties and roles several times per game but seems to keep 2 or 3 attack duties. Does that mean they are playing counter or standard? They are extremely aggressive, so I think they are using an attacking mentality, but I thought I read that the AI uses more attack duties the higher the mentality and less on the lower mentalities.

I just don't have a player, capable of defending and leading the game, my best playmaker has 10 in tackling and will simply fail, defending. So I guess, I'll have to stick to CM (d) with an instruction to close down less.

Thanks!

Why would the same player succeed as a CM(d) but not as a DLP?? :confused:

That makes no sense. If his tackling is his weak point, then firstly why is he your chose player in that position? Secondly, if he has poor tackling, i assume he might have other strengths. So if those are things like passing and first touch, why not play to his strengths rather than worrying about his weakness. There is no reason that a player with 10 Tackling could not be a good DLP(d) in various systems.

I can't find which thread I read it in, but how does the number of attack duty players relate to mentality for the AI? I am playing a team that changes its duties and roles several times per game but seems to keep 2 or 3 attack duties. Does that mean they are playing counter or standard? They are extremely aggressive, so I think they are using an attacking mentality, but I thought I read that the AI uses more attack duties the higher the mentality and less on the lower mentalities.

1 attack duty = contain/defensive/counter

2 attack duties = standard

3 attack duties = control

4 attack duties = attack

5 attack duties = overload

The AI doesn't tend to change roles during a game that frequent either, unless its a totally different shape. They tend to use shouts/mentality changes or formation changes rather than actual roles.

How do you find out the number of attack duties being used?

Some skins show them on the tactic overview.

Why would the same player succeed as a CM(d) but not as a DLP??

At the moment I have CM who is extremely good at tackling, marking and he is quite aggressive, but his vision and decisions let him down at combination game and CM who, on the contrary, passes well, shoots well, sees the pitch, but fails defensively. I used to play them in another formation, but I want to add 4-2-3-1 and try to make things right. Hopefully net transfer window will get me a suitable guy

So, while we are at it, there is one more stupid question, that I have.

Are there any usefull hints on how to use Poacher, TM(A) and CF(A) in the lone striker formation without AMC? I don't really want to limit myself to DLF and F9, when playing with 4-1-2-2-1.

Thanks

So, while we are at it, there is one more stupid question, that I have.

Are there any usefull hints on how to use Poacher, TM(A) and CF(A) in the lone striker formation without AMC? I don't really want to limit myself to DLF and F9, when playing with 4-1-2-2-1.

Thanks

Use wingers to feed a more positional striker; use IFs or RMD if the striker creates spaces... it's this easy

IFs or RMD if the striker creates spaces... it's this easy

But isn't RMD a selfish finisher himself? Also from what I learned IF's even on support duty are not that playmaking players, therefore while it is simple enough to utlize wingers to create chances for TM, it is still not clear how to bring poachers into game. Shouldn't they be fed from the deep while they have the necessary speed?