Quickfire Questions and Answers Thread (Tactic and Training Questions Only)

Still working on this. Everything I'm trying so far results in the AM sprinting into the penalty area the moment the ball enters the final third out wide. Which is giving my wide players no option but to cross into a crowded penalty area despite all 'less crossing' instructions'.

I need a supporting player alongside my winger (preferably ahead), to both draw defenders out and offer a short passing option. The box to box CM behind isn't providing it either. Any ideas?

What duty do you have him on? At the risk of being "Captain Obvious" I would say an AM(s) might do what you want, plus move into channels PI (I can't recall is that option is still there in 15; if not, try a 'roam from position' PI).

• Replies 17.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What duty do you have him on? At the risk of being "Captain Obvious" I would say an AM(s) might do what you want, plus move into channels PI (I can't recall is that option is still there in 15; if not, try a 'roam from position' PI).

AM-S is as keen to hit the penalty area as anything else in my team. Once my wingers have the ball and move into the final third it's like a switch is flipped and the AM makes a direct run to the penalty area regardless of roaming or channels or run wide instructions. Then he stands next to my centre forward while they both get outjumped by a couple of defenders.

Either the match engine doesn't allow the amount of lateral movement I'm looking or, or it's a wider problem with my overall setup.

Two silly questions :

1. These mid match touchline shouts.... I used a get creative shout with 10 mins to go away against Chelsea whilst 0-2 down and came back to 2-2. Sadly as per usual an Azpilquiwhatshisname long throw got them another goal to lose me the game but how do those shouts affect the team as in does it effect your TI's in any way or is it just a mental thing rather than a visible tactical thing?

2. On the heat map I have a lot of red pass interceptions from my keeper and defenders despite having "retain possession" as a shout and with a 4141 there should be plenty of passing options. I believe that there may be a thing about centre backs just hoofing it regardless of settings and I guess I can ask keeper for a shorter distribution but what do you guys do with such poor distribution from your defensive line?

Two silly questions :

1. These mid match touchline shouts.... I used a get creative shout with 10 mins to go away against Chelsea whilst 0-2 down and came back to 2-2. Sadly as per usual an Azpilquiwhatshisname long throw got them another goal to lose me the game but how do those shouts affect the team as in does it effect your TI's in any way or is it just a mental thing rather than a visible tactical thing?

2. On the heat map I have a lot of red pass interceptions from my keeper and defenders despite having "retain possession" as a shout and with a 4141 there should be plenty of passing options. I believe that there may be a thing about centre backs just hoofing it regardless of settings and I guess I can ask keeper for a shorter distribution but what do you guys do with such poor distribution from your defensive line?

1 - It's purely motivational and has nothing to do with tactics or settings really.

2 - Watch the clips back and see exactly why they give the ball away? Is it a lack of close options near them? Is it due to being closed down and forced to rush a decision etc?

1 - It's purely motivational and has nothing to do with tactics or settings really.

2 - Watch the clips back and see exactly why they give the ball away? Is it a lack of close options near them? Is it due to being closed down and forced to rush a decision etc?

Thanks Cleon. Looked at a couple of games and ticked those passes on the heat maps as your suggestion and it was interesting really.

GK - Mainly loses it due to long kicks or when clearing from a pass back. Might be due o playing a 4141 as the flat midfield doesn't get beyond the striker for any flick on's although Carroll is always injured so the striker is probably not winning the headers. Will change to distribute to full backs unless one of the new settings is a good option this year?

Defenders - A lot of these are from clearances, headers or just clearing crosses or set pieces. As my defence retreats and clears most of my players are retreating so no-one is getting on the end of a clearance. Not much I can do from open play but a couple of tweaks on players positions for set pieces may be an idea so to leave another man forward at least. Same with throw ins down the line. The opposition tends to win it which is annoying because the throw ins tend to be aimed high rather than to feet.

The long passes from defenders either seem to be an attempt at a through ball but that's mainly from Cresswell so I may look at his PPM's or when a forward is closing them down so that's acceptable.

Misc - The only irritant seems to be a handful of passes that are severely under hit but the game I looked at had drizzle as the weather so whilst you would expect the pitch to be quicker I am not sure if FM looks at a wet pitch to be heavier?

Only based on one match but there doesn't seem to be too much that is out of the realms of realistic possibility.

Thanks.

What type of training intensity do you guys use for a england premiership teams that plays on all fronts (top 4)?

In the first season at United I'm using average intensity on team training and average on individual.

Not running into any fitness problems so far but I'm not into UCL. So, how high have you set up the intensity without suffering from injuries, you guys who play as Chelsea/Arsenal/etc.

Second would be: Do the players benefit more from individual training rather than team training? If that would be true, it would make more sense to set individual training to high and team training to low as opposed to average/average ? Or anyhow, give individual training a higher intensity than team ?

hi

I feel a lot of frustrated to play FM. last time I play is FM 2008 where I just choose player and formation. then I play FM 2014 and FM 2015 which much complex. we have to set roles of our players.

I read sticky thread here, they made sense for me teoritically. I understand what I need on midfield, I need a holding midfield, a runner, and somebody to link up midfield and attack. also understand striker combination,wide player combination.

but, those also where my problem start. for example, I can choose so many holding midfield role, like central midfield, anchor man, defensife midfield, etc.there are so many role which I cant tell the difference on the pitch.teorically, I know deep lying playmaker would receive more ball from friend then another,since they treated as playmaker but when I go on the pitch, I cant tell, which role does my team actually need?

This made me just able to create tactic before match. and when the match is started, I dont know what to do. for example, I was managing real madrid. things went well at beggining. altought I didnt know would it best to play using aggressor (sami khedira) or using more creative midfield, I won europe super cup and spanish super cup by big margin. 4-1 againts sevilla, 5-1 and 4-1 againts atletico madrid. the first 3 matches at liga BBVA I scored 14 and conceded just 2

then the problem started. my team was again real sociedad, and I get draw.since then, my team always got draw. worse,my team started to defeat, which is, I dont have any idea. what is wrong on my team. I dont know tactically,what should I do.there are too many things could happen.. and finally I got sacked after I cant get from group stage at champion league.

so ,my question, how could, a totally begginer like me, learn to play FM? I almost cant translate all theory I understand onto the pitch,even I try to see full match. I dont have any idea whats wrong. I more just watching then analysing

I read cleon's thread and see hope since he add analysis part.But I didnt understand that. cleon was so good, he know the important things on the pitch,capture it,and write ithere. but me, When I see full match, I didnt know the problem on my team..

please help me.I wanna enjoy feeling as manager,but I dont know how..

since Im a noobs, I just play classic mode,to alllow me concentrate most just for tactics..

thanks

What type of training intensity do you guys use for a england premiership teams that plays on all fronts (top 4)?

In the first season at United I'm using average intensity on team training and average on individual.

Not running into any fitness problems so far but I'm not into UCL. So, how high have you set up the intensity without suffering from injuries, you guys who play as Chelsea/Arsenal/etc.

Second would be: Do the players benefit more from individual training rather than team training? If that would be true, it would make more sense to set individual training to high and team training to low as opposed to average/average ? Or anyhow, give individual training a higher intensity than team ?

Team training: Low

Individual training: high on all players

Yes the players benefith more from individual training when it comes to develope them.

I have some questions about training and player development:

A) Does the youngsters you have 15-19 years old actually have to start games to effectively gain experience or will sub appearances aslo count towards their experience?

B) I often get players who has 2-3 stars out of 5 in terms of CA\PA around age 18-19. Some of them have i given regular playing time in first team, but upon hitting age 22-23 their stats havent increased dramatically since they where 18-19 years old. Then my assistant (JPA 18-20, and JPP 18-20 in skill) say that they are playing close to their potential which has tapered of at 3 stars now. Have i given them to much game time to early or is my training regime wrong?

C) How long time does tutoring take on fm 2015?

D) If I send a player out on loan or to an affiliate club, will he develop the same if the league is active or not? Or should I never loan out to those clubs, and instead keep him at my club and train him (even if I cant give him enough game time?).

A) Does the youngsters you have 15-19 years old actually have to start games to effectively gain experience or will sub appearances aslo count towards their experience?

B) I often get players who has 2-3 stars out of 5 in terms of CA\PA around age 18-19. Some of them have i given regular playing time in first team, but upon hitting age 22-23 their stats havent increased dramatically since they where 18-19 years old. Then my assistant (JPA 18-20, and JPP 18-20 in skill) say that they are playing close to their potential which has tapered of at 3 stars now. Have i given them to much game time to early or is my training regime wrong?

D) If I send a player out on loan or to an affiliate club, will he develop the same if the league is active or not? Or should I never loan out to those clubs, and instead keep him at my club and train him (even if I cant give him enough game time?).

You really should read this :)

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/380395-Ajax-When-Real-Life-Meets-Football-Manager-FM14

But to give you really quick answers;

A - They need to earn a rating, on FM14 that used to be 20 mins I think its a lot less on FM15 though. But ideally they want 20 + for it to have any kind of impact. Plus the longer the more beneficial.

B- No such thing as too much game time, a player can never get enough. It could be they just had really low potential or it could be you wasted their training.

C -180 days the same as all the other versions.

D - Only loan to active leagues if you feel you must loan him out. Keeping him at your club is always wisest though imo as you can tailor them to be the player you need and tutor them. When you loan out you miss all of that as you can't give orders to the AI on how they should carry on developing him.

a) Players will develop a fair amount at that age from training/reserve games etc. Scraps of first team football will improve their morale helps things progress faster I'm sure.

b) The game takes into account the fact that player development slows down in the mid 20s when estimating potential. Used to be coaches could knock a whole star off their potential on their 25th birthday if they hadn't made it yet.

c) Anywhere between a day (if they hate each other) and ~6 months if things go well. It varies.

d) Leagues where games are being simulated are best.

Can somebody break it to me what's the difference between TIs "More Direct Passing/Route One" and "Much Higher Tempo"? Aren't these two basically doing the same thing about the type of football your team is going to play?

Direct passing is exactly that, direct passing.

Route one passing is long ball.

Much higher tempo is the speed/urgency you play. So using this players will look to make their decision quicker, move the ball quicker etc

Direct passing is exactly that, direct passing.

Route one passing is long ball.

Much higher tempo is the speed/urgency you play. So using this players will look to make their decision quicker, move the ball quicker etc

I believe for a genpressing type of football, I'd need to tick "Much Higher Tempo" rather than the other two?

I believe for a genpressing type of football, I'd need to tick "Much Higher Tempo" rather than the other two?

Much higher tempo controls speed/urgency of action on the ball afaik.

Pressing without the ball is controlled by the 'Close down...' instructions.

Why do my defenders keep hitting it long despite the fact I have the team set on defensive and structured with team instructions including retain possession, short passing. play out of defence, be more disciplined and very slow tempo?

Also why is the marking and tracking of runs so poor When I have team set to structured and I have instructed both my team and my entire back four to mark tight?

Why do my defenders keep hitting it long despite the fact I have the team set on defensive and structured with team instructions including retain possession, short passing. play out of defence, be more disciplined and very slow tempo?

What Role / Duties are playing it long? What are their attributes?

How often is this happening per match?

Do you have any Target Man or Playmaker Roles? Are the passes directed in their direction?

Also why is the marking and tracking of runs so poor When I have team set to structured and I have instructed both my team and my entire back four to mark tight?

I've always considered Mark Tighter to be more of a set piece instruction rather than in open play. Again, reactions depend on the Roles / Duties used. Tracking of runs is best enabled via specific man marking tasks. There is a known issue with "jockeying" of players down the flanks, which SI are on the case of.

Perhaps you have limited their passing options so much they no longer have any safe options in range and just have to lump it long in a panic. The alternative would be wait to get tackled.

Play out of defence has never worked for me, and just results in the opposite; more aimless clearances and worse possession. I feel I need to allow my defenders a reasonable range of passing if I want to see them play the ball consistently to full-backs & midfielders.

Perhaps more of a match preparation question, but does anyone see a significant improvement in direct goals from free kick, if you focus on attacking set pieces? I have fairly great free kick taker with above 17 in free kick taking, så shouldn't be an issue. However, I can't recall seeing a goal going from a direct free kick as of yet.

Perhaps more of a match preparation question, but does anyone see a significant improvement in direct goals from free kick, if you focus on attacking set pieces? I have fairly great free kick taker with above 17 in free kick taking, så shouldn't be an issue. However, I can't recall seeing a goal going from a direct free kick as of yet.

Attacking set pieces will have more of an effect on attacking corners or indirect free kicks. Direct Free Kicks are really all about the taker in isolation. SI are looking into DFKs at the moment. Their overall conversion rate is OK, but there may need to be more distinction made between very good and very average free kick takers.

Also, remember that Free Kick Taking isn't the only relevant attribute.

is it just me or did anyone else had problem with fullback/wingback/qwb crossing the ball straight to the opposition defender/player and waiting till the defender getting close to cross and hitting the defender despite have alot of time and space to cross the ball earlier before being close down ? its frustrating that it happen to me every single match

Not really a stupid question (I hope!) but not really worth starting a new thread about it.

I've just started a game as Newcastle and looking at the team comparison page we are the weakest side and second least aggressive in the Premier League. Now first off I don't know how much to read into this as it could just be some puny ass winger pulling my average down but on the other hand, surely every team has these dweebs so should all be comparable.

Now the strength thing is obvious, we are gonna be worse off in physical battles but I don't really understand the aggression stat. Does low aggression mean they won't close down as much as a more aggressive player OR is it more the nature of their challenges, i.e. a more aggressive player is more likely to slide in with a reckless challenge?

In terms of aggression, the 'Get Stuck In' TI would appear to push the aggression up a bit but with low strength are my challenges just gonna get shrugged off? On the other hand telling my players to close down less would mean they won't enter the physical battles as much but will that mean with their low aggression we're just gonna let sides walk through us??

Just wondering how many of you use "opposition instructions" and how many don't? I tend to use my hopeless Assistant for all this stuff and invariably play better when I don't let him add any so wondering what other peoples thoughts are?

I never use them. They interfere with your actual tactical plan.

Are TIs and PIs cumulative or do they override each other? So for instance, to determine a player's closing down behavior, is it:

1) Default closing down for mentality + TIs affecting closing down + PIs affecting closing down

OR

2) PI affecting closing down if there is one, if not then TI affecting closing down if there is one, if not then default closing down for mentality

Are TIs and PIs cumulative or do they override each other? So for instance, to determine a player's closing down behavior, is it:

1) Default closing down for mentality + TIs affecting closing down + PIs affecting closing down

OR

2) PI affecting closing down if there is one, if not then TI affecting closing down if there is one, if not then default closing down for mentality

It's a little different to before. Before it used be that the PI would override the TI.

Now, the method is that the impact isn't exactly cumulative, but if you have a PI to Close Down More and a TI to Close Down More and a high line, the ME will calculate a combined impact of that, but not on a 1+1+1 basis.

hi..

until now, I cant still the differentce between those dm role when they are do defence

defensife midfield,anchor man, and deep lying playmaker. They are all holding midfield.whats the difference for them when we dont have the ball and do the deffence?

Read the descriptions? Can you really not see the difference?

The Anchor will tend to sit and not chase the ball, whereas the DM will press a little on default. The DLP is a Playmaker who will receive more of the ball, be more mobile than the Anchor and will chase the ball if instructed.

Does 'Exploit the right flank' make you team move the ball to the right more often, or just make the mentalities of the players on the right flank more aggressive. Been using it for a while and I'm not sure it's accomplishing what I want.

Tried using a wide playmaker to encourage getting the ball on that side but the role is far too restrictive in its instructions. I need the movement of a traditional winger and a team obsessed with feeding him the ball.

Does the D-Line instructions only affect the line of your defense or your team as a whole? In other words will a deep D-Line increase the gap between defense and the midfielders, or it will stay the same amount, with the whole team staying more deep? Thanks!

So in my 4-1-4-1 setup im using WB(A) and they do almost everything i want except they cross the ball way too often i'd much rather they look for the cut back to my IF's but with WB(S) they dont "bomb on" enough and stretch the play enough.

Would a WB(S) with gets further forward or forward whenever possible PPM achieve what im looking for as a WB(A) with restricted crossing?

DLP will only really chase the ball if you tell him to. DM will on default tend to close down more than the DLP and Anchor.

ok. how do you think real madrid center midfield work? do they use ball winner, or DLP with chase the ball instruction? or they use Defensife midfield on Toni Kroos?

So in my 4-1-4-1 setup im using WB(A) and they do almost everything i want except they cross the ball way too often i'd much rather they look for the cut back to my IF's but with WB(S) they dont "bomb on" enough and stretch the play enough.

Would a WB(S) with gets further forward or forward whenever possible PPM achieve what im looking for as a WB(A) with restricted crossing?

Aren't WB-As set to cross less often? As in only when they reach the byline instead of crossing early from deep?

ok. how do you think real madrid center midfield work? do they use ball winner, or DLP with chase the ball instruction? or they use Defensife midfield on Toni Kroos?

No idea as I don't watch Madrid very often. The important thing is how you think their central midfield "works".

The important thing in FM is not to get bogged down speculating about things. Just get on with it, watch matches and see what is working and what isn't.

When retraining a player to play in a new position, once they hit natural is it necessary to continue with the position training or can it be abandoned as long as they continue to play regularly in the new position?

I've found that you can take off their positional training AS LONG AS you regularly play them in the position you want them to learn. I'm not sure if it's possible for them to permanently be natural in their new position. Anybody know?

I've found that you can take off their positional training AS LONG AS you regularly play them in the position you want them to learn. I'm not sure if it's possible for them to permanently be natural in their new position. Anybody know?

Yes it is but you must keep playing them in the role or they'll lose it again if you've took them off training for it.

Does 'Exploit the right flank' make you team move the ball to the right more often, or just make the mentalities of the players on the right flank more aggressive. Been using it for a while and I'm not sure it's accomplishing what I want.

Tried using a wide playmaker to encourage getting the ball on that side but the role is far too restrictive in its instructions. I need the movement of a traditional winger and a team obsessed with feeding him the ball.

It will feed the ball mainly down that flank. You could also put a playmaker next to him in midfield with more conservative roles on the other side of midfield.

If somebody as intelligent as Ancelotti is playing Kroos as anything other than a DLP in FM terms, I'd be very surprised.

It will feed the ball mainly down that flank. You could also put a playmaker next to him in midfield with more conservative roles on the other side of midfield.

Cool, thanks.

I'm fairly anti-playmakers in the middle at the moment, but I'll be damned if I can remember why. Will give it a try if my latest tweaks don't work out.