Here we go...

City2000

• Replies 501
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Season 9

Season Review - 2019/20

twentebadge.jpg

Domestically we had a fantastic season, winning the double. The league never really looked in doubt after we put a run together of 19 straight wins following an opening day draw, one slight disappointment was only matching Ajax's record from the early 70's as we lost 1-0 to AZ to deny us that 20th straight win. Following that defeat we went the last 13 games unbeaten to cruise to the Eredivisie title.

We also managed to win the KNVB Beker by beating AZ 4-2 in the final. Funnily enough the only time we looked like going out was in our first game at Helmond Sport where we needed a 94th minute equaliser just to get to extra time.

Europe went great until we ran into Liverpool in the Champions League Quarters, they smashed us 3-0 in the first leg going through 4-2 on aggregate. Our second Quarter Final defeat in a row.

Domestic Fixtures

fix20.jpg

European Fixtures

clfix1.jpg

Final League Table

table2020.jpg

Key Performers

Mansour Mendy - Not as big a season as last year but still took down the Eredivisie Top Goalscorer award.

Tariq El Taourghi - Missed the first half of the season through injury but made up for it once he came back.

Oumar Akovi - Not a bad third striker who notched 20 goals. Played the first half of the year after Tariq's injury before sharing striking duties once Tariq came back.

Issa Diaby - A great season at centre half from Diaby who weighed in with 12 goals aswell.

Next Season

All our aims now have to concentrate on trying to achieve European success, domestically we have a squad ready to dominate but in Europe it's a different matter. My aims will be to bring in a new Centre Half, Right Winger and Attacking Midfielder who can operate as a playmaker to hopefully give us that extra little bit of quality we need.

As for me, I've been linked with Lazio, Napoil, Blackburn, Liverpool (again) aswell as Santos but my aim remains the same, to bring Champions League success to Twente. I will also see what International offers come my way after Euro 2020 but i'm leaning towards concentrating solely on Twente matters.

Career Overview

Season     Club               League                                      Position      Achievements

2011       Jevnaker IF        Norweigan Second Division Group 2           5th           Took over on 6.7.11
2012       Jevnaker IF        Norweigan Second Division Group 2           1st           League Champions, Promotion
2013       Jevnaker IF        Norweigan First Division                    7th           Left Club (didn't extend contract)
2014       Fortuna Sittard    Dutch Jupiler League                        14th          Took over on 26.2.14
2014-15    Fortuna Sittard    Dutch Jupiler League                        1st           League Champions, Promotion
2015-16    Fortuna Sittard    Dutch Eredivisie                            15th          Left Club after 6 games for FC Twente
2015-16    FC Twente          Dutch Eredivisie                            6th           Took over on 27.9.15
2016-17    FC Twente          Dutch Eredivisie                            1st           League Champions
2017-18    FC Twente          Dutch Eredivisie                            1st           League Champions, Dutch Cup Winners, UCL L16
2018-19    FC Twente          Dutch Eredivisie                            1st           League Champions, UCL Quarter Finalists
2019-20    FC Twente          Dutch Eredivisie                            1st           League Champions, Dutch Cup Winners, UCL Quarter Finalists

International

Season            Nation                      Competition                     Position                 Achievements

2016              Ivory Coast u23's           Olympic Games                   First Round 
2018-2019         Turkey                      Euro 2020 Qualifiers            4th                      Sacked

Easy peasy! :thup:. I'm surprised to see Feyenoord struggling.

Your antics in The Netherlands are tempting me to add the Dutch leagues in a couple of seasons in my save. I've only ever played in The Netherlands once before and that was on CM97/98 (I think...it was a long time ago!). A very enjoyable read :thup:.

Pretty much matched the previous season.
Fantastic season, with over 100 goals scored and only one defeat in the league. Hard to improve on that.
Smashed it, brilliant. Be very interesting to see what you do next year
Excellent season in Holland, just need to improve in Europe now. It's going to be tough, but with a bit of perseverance and a slice of luck, you might well do it soon :thup:
Brilliant season :thup:. Hopefully you get closer to winning the Champions League next season.
Great season domestically. Hope you find some decent players so can make that push in Europe
Easy peasy! I'm surprised to see Feyenoord struggling.

Your antics in The Netherlands are tempting me to add the Dutch leagues in a couple of seasons in my save. I've only ever played in The Netherlands once before and that was on CM97/98 (I think...it was a long time ago!). A very enjoyable read :thup:.

Another fantastic season in Holland - it seems to me teh time is approaching for you to move on. Or am I off base completely :)

Thanks for all the comments guys!

@Raware - The Dutch leagues are a whole lot of fun, I don't remember playing in them for a long period of time before but I loved my time at Fortuna and although it's getting a bit easy domestically am still enjoying Twente life, it was a whole lot of fun building them up and overtaking Vitesse, PSV and Ajax.

@abulezz - The only thing keeping me at Twente is the challenge of winning the Champions League, I don't see myself renewing my contract here but i've still 3 years left to hopefully get that success. I'm a little concerned though as I have just had 3 players come to me saying they want to join bigger clubs, I'll need to keep all my key players to have any chance.

Around the World Update 2018/19

Champions League - Man City V Barca

Europa League - Leverkusen v Spurs

English Premier League - Final Table

La Liga - Final Table

Serie A - Final Table

Bundesliga - Final Table

Ligue 1 - Final Table

Awards

Ballon d'Or

World Player of the Year

World Team of the year

Euro 2020

Groups A-C

Groups D-F

Knockout Stages Tree

Former Club Watch

jevnaker20.jpg

fortuna20.jpg

Great bounceback year from Jevnaker just missing out on promotion back to the First Division on goals difference. Fortuna also bounced back well from nearly being relegated the season prior to finish a respectable 9th.

Season 10

Pre Season Update - 2020/21

twentebadge.jpg

Board Expectations

Eredivise - Challenge for the Title

Champions League - Reach the Group Stage of the Champions League

Dutch Cup - Reach the Semi Final of the Dutch Cup

Dutch Super Cup - Not Important

My Expectations

Eredivise - Looking for 5 in a row, anything less wil be a massive disappointment

Champions League - Want to make the Quarters as a bare mimimum, really looking to kick on this year

Dutch Cup - Want to win it, should win it

Dutch Super Cup - Playing Vitesse for the fourth year in a row, currently 1-2, not really bothered too much though

Budgets

Transfer Buget - £15m

Wage Budget - £750k - Currently spending £550k

Transfers

transfers20.jpg

Not as busy a summer as last year as I mainly just concentrated on improving the first team this year, I wanted three new signings, a Centre Back, Right Winger and a new Playmaking Attacking Midfielder. I managed to get my new CB and AMC but missed out on my number 1 target Right Winger, I made a few bids between 8-12m for Kabba Obul before Spurs came in and blew me out of the water with a £17.75m bid. I ended up getting Transfer Listed Alex Chamberlain from Aston Villa as there was nobody else that I could find that was worth bringing in, very disappointed to miss out on Kabba. Really feel he was the last piece of the puzzle.

Key Players In

Petr Vyskocil - £12.5m - Deportivo - My new Centre Back, Petr still has some way to go to meet his 4* potential and thats why I chose him over my other targets as he alredy looks more than good enough to play in my side. I now have three quality centre backs to choose from plus a few good prospects as backup.

Pascal Eze - £4.7m - Young Boys - I decided I wasn't happy with the creativity levels in my current AMC so I decided to replace him with Eze. I'm excited about Eze as he looks like the replacement i've needed since I sold Niasse last summer.

Alex Chamberlain - £2.2m - Aston Villa - Having missed out on Kabba Obul I couldn't find a right winger that I was really happy with so I decided on Chamberlain who has the added bonus of being a real utility player. I do already have a decent right winger but he currently has a broken leg.

Key Players Out

Leonardo Sigali - Bayern - Free - Sigali has been a great servant for me at Twente being my first choice centre half for the last 4 years but at 33 I felt it was time to move him on. The fact he has gone to Bayern shows he still has quality but I do have some other defenders that are good enough to take his place now.

Marin Grnja - Malaga - £8.75m - I do like Marin but last year he really disappointed with an average rating of 7.07 so I decided to replace him.

Kelvin Orvambo - RC Lens - £4.1m - A good right winger but wasn't happy playing backup duties so I shipped him out.

Key Men for 2020/21

GK: Mohammed Abdel Wahab

DEF: Domingos Seide - One of my best bits of business over the summer was persuading this guy to sign a new contract. Cost me a fair bit but I think it will be worth it.

MID: Adrian Paradinas

ATT: Mansour Mendy

Team Report

team20.jpg

Starting XI and Tactics

tactics20.jpg

Next

Domestically we are dominant so will be hoping for our third double including a 5th straight Eredivisie. The Champions League is where the real challenge is right now, I hope to get to the Quarters, from there anything could happen.

Someone that has sold more than what he has spend, hoorah! :D

Good luck this season City!

Good luck this season mate

Thanks guys :)

Champions League Update

clgroup7.jpg

clgroup8.jpg

Looks like a comfortable group in terms of finishing top 2, we'll see...........

Also had a chance to think about my Twente future and i'm leaning towards leaving at the end of the season, the lack of a challenge domestically is making me feel like it's time for a new challenge. I haven't made my mind up for sure yet though as I would love to win the CL with Twente but not sure how realistic that is at this stage.

Carlo Ancelotti took over the England job when apelllo retired in my save, failed to lead England to the World 2014, got sacked, and never came back :)

Interesting, Carlo just got sacked after England's 2nd round exit to Spain at Euro 2020, Wonder if he will now head back to Italy for a 3rd spell! As a matter of interest Sean Dyche has taken over as England manager and in his first press conference declared his team would play defensively, thats the way to win over the fans!

Topping the group. Well done.
:D

Well done indeed.

Trouble is, the only way is down.

Thanks guys, I'll take topping the group at any stage :D

Should be an interesting Champions League! Best of luck :)

Thanks!

I'm pretty sure you'll top that CL group! Good luck!

Thanks, although right now I have a decision to make........

I've decided that i'm definetly going to leave Twente at the end of the season and i've had my first serious offer from another club so my decision now is do I see out the season at Twente and give the Champions League one more crack or move now to Inter? I'm going to have a real good think about this one and any advice will be greatly appreciated.

interds.jpg

The Squad:

intersquadp.jpg

Recent History:

interhistory.jpg

One concern if it doesn't click quickly Inter aren't shy in getting rid of their managers!

intermanagers.jpg

Edit: One additional point, Inter are 12th after 10 games currently 7 points from the top of the table, 2 points from the relegation zone.

Thanks for all the advice guys :)

I'm going with the majority here and turning Inter down to give the Champions League one more shot. We'll see what awaits in the summer.

Part of me would really like to stay at Twente until I win the CL but domestically it's just too easy right now. The CL games are great and a real challenge but getting through the league games is getting a bit of a chore now.

Good decision :)

Though I have to say that I support your general decision to move as there is only one challenge left and reaching that is just down to too much luck.

Inter would have been very interesting in its need and potential for a total reconstruction of the squad, but their history indeed points at a too high risk of being given no time whatsoever.

Having seen that, I'm sure though that you'll get another high profile offer again soon.

good luck with not taking inter just read every post you've done (in the thread). i like it when people do journeyman careers. got me thinking as i just been testing tactic after tactic to start 1. keep the good thread up

good luck with not taking inter just read every post you've done (in the thread). i like it when people do journeyman careers. got me thinking as i just been testing tactic after tactic to start 1. keep the good thread up

Thanks! Hope you enjoyed reading the thread :)

The right decision to stay I think. Have one more shot at winning the CL Twente.

Thanks, I think it's worth one more shot.

Season 10

Mid season Update 2020/21

twentebadge.jpg

Another dominant season so far domestically in which we have managed to break Ajax's long standing record of 20 straight wins, we made it to 22 before AZ who ended my run last year beat me again. The league already looks to be wrapped up although Vitesse did put up a good fight but have fallen away in the last few games. Europe has also been good so far with no real concerns in progressing from our group, we did need a 94th min winner in Glasgow to secure our place at the top of the group though. We have drawn Bayern in the next round, not sure about that draw!

Domestic Fixtures

domesticx.jpg

European Fixtures

eurofix1.jpg

Group Table

Eredivisie Table

table2r.jpg

Key January Transfers

In

None as i'm happy with the squad.

Out

Issa Diaby - A shame to see Issa go, a key member of my back-line for many years but he had a £10m release fee that Lyon were prepared to meet. Decided not to bring a replacement in as I still have 4 capable centre halves.

Key Performers

Mansour Mendy

Oumar Akovi

Both Mendy and Akovi have been in superb form starting nearly every match together so far this season.

Next

Again my main focus is on the Champions League, a tough tie awaits against Bayern but i'm hoping this will be our real breakthrough year in Europe. This will most likely be my last season at Twente, I love the CL games but the domestic fixtures have become too easy now and I feel like I need a new challenge. I'll continue until the end of the season to hopefully make it 5 Eredivisie's in a row and have that last crack at the CL with Twente.

You are absolutely strolling it.

Indeed :cool:

Good luck against Bayern. I'd say that's a 50:50 match which could quite easily go either way.

Oh, and how dare you lose a match domestically! That's just not good enough! :D

Thanks! I was actually fuming after that loss :D

Walk in the park. I think you can get past Bayern and then you need a bit of luck to go all way.

Thanks, hopefully i'll get that bit of luck.

You're making it look easy

Thanks.

On the domestic front,it really is a walk in the park for you

Good luck against Bayern

Thanks, I think i'll need that bit of luck.

Can understand this is getting boring for you. Would be lovely with some CL success before you leave though. Then to do it all again somewhere else ;)

Yes, it's just really getting to that stage. I'm hoping if I hit one of the big leagues that at least the competition will be stronger over time than it has been here.

just read all of this, great stuff mate. I think you made the right decision turning down the Inter job.

Thanks, hope you enjoyed reading it all.

All too easy again in the league. Good luck against Bayern

Thanks.

Archived