Here we go...

City2000

• Replies 501
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's an odd fixture for sure guys, can't remember too many like it myself, didn't even know about the ones you mentioned.

Quite looking forward to it and it would be pretty embarrassing to lose although at least I could just take control of the reserves if I did :D

Champions League Update - Group Stage

clgroup5.jpg

clgroup6.jpg

Well, I was pretty happy with the draw and it's nice to win our group at the third attempt. No real problems here, we were clinical in Sampdoria in our opening game which really opened the group up for us, from there other than a draw in Lyon we won the rest of the games pretty comfortably to top the group with a game to spare.

In terms of who we might draw in the First Knockout Round:

Group Winners: Marseille, Arsenal, Juve, Barca, Man City, Galatasary, Chelsea

Runners Up: Valerenga, PSG, Liverpool, CSKA, Bayern, Real Madrid

Clearly I would love Valerenga and really want to avoid Real and Bayern.

Thats a good result, right there - 5 goals conceded and 20 goals scored. Hopefully you'll get a favorable draw!

Thanks, was really nice to top the group and that 4-0 win over Lyon was a real highlight.

Just played my All Twente Cup tie..............

twentevtwente1.jpg

Pretty comfortable win but check out the attendance, I don't think the game quite captured the Twente fans imagination as much as it did mine :D

Definitely a winnable tie. Valerenga would have been nice though, almost a bye :D

Thats what I was hoping for, maybe in the next round :D

On another note, finally some recognition for my main man

mendyworld.jpg

Not in the first XI but i'll settle for a place on the bench for now!

Great results in the group stage and certainly a winnable tie against the rich French. Wouldn't hold out much hope for Vålerenga progressing further though, unless Arsenal have imploded.

Mendy looks stunning.

You should have sent a lot of first teamers to the reserves and tried to win the tournament with the ressies :D

Great results in the group stage and certainly a winnable tie against the rich French. Wouldn't hold out much hope for Vålerenga progressing further though, unless Arsenal have imploded.

Mendy looks stunning.

You should have sent a lot of first teamers to the reserves and tried to win the tournament with the ressies :D

I've had some good players in the past but I think Mendy is on his way to being my favourite ever!

I did think about it :D

Season 9

Mid season Update 2019/20

twentebadge.jpg

Well, Couldn't really have asked for more from the first half of the season. After drawing our first league game at Heracles we have won our last 16 league games in a row to pull 13 points clear of Vitesse. Infact our only defeat so far this season was in the Dutch Super Cup in extra time at the hands of Vitesse. Our record so far this season including the Champions league is P27, W24, D2 L1.

Domestic Fixtures

twentefix4.jpg

European Fixtures

clfix.jpg

Eredivisie Table

table1do.jpg

Key January Transfers

In

Vladimir Zakostelsky - £1.4m - SFC Opava - Not really a key signing but Vladimir is my only transfer action of the January window, looks a good prospect for the future.

Out

I managed not to sell anybody in this window, I had a number of offers for some key players and although I will have some serious decisions to make in the summer as some contracts are running down I wanted to make sure this squad stays together at least until the summer.

Key Performers

Mansour Mendy - Not quite as dominating as last season but 24 goals in 21 apps will do me.

Oumar Akovi - Akovi became Mendy's strike partner after injury to Tariq el Touraghi and he certainly stepped up with 15 goals in 20 starts. With Tariq back for the second half of the season we'll see whether he can keep his place.

Domingos Seide - Stunning season so far from Seide at right back averaging 7.58 in all comps, he however is one of the players I may lose in the summer. With just 18 months left on his contract and him wanting £85k per week (my highest earner is £37k per week) and a stupidly small release fee to even consider re-signing I may sell him.

Adrian Paradinas - Paradinas is a superb DMC averaging 7.47 so far this season and i'm delighted that he has got International recognition with Spain this year earning his first 7 caps. He has 2 1/2 years left on his contract but i'm looking to make him my highest earner in the next few weeks to tie him down for a few more years yet. The one downside of that is I have a lot of players with "match the highest earner deals".

Next

With the Eredivisie all but won already all my efforts will now concentrate on the CL, a winnable game first up with PSG so hopefully I can at least match last years Quarter Final efforts.

Not a bad start! :D

I've had worse starts for sure :D

Thats one heck of a unbeaten streak!

Its good to see Mendy get some recognition - he's been a beast :)

Yes, he's won a couple of African Player awards but this is the recognition I really think he deserves. I'm lucky he loves FC Twente or like Samiou he would have been out of here by now.

So many green dots! Walking the league already with just 17 games gone!
What a cakewalk.

Amazing really, I don't remember any starts to a season as good as this in a top tier league before and I have been playing these games a long time!

Doing okay I suppose ;)

The new signing looks great for 17. Should be a few goals from set pieces once he gets in the first team.

He does look great for his age, as you say can't wait to get him on set pieces in a few years time!!

One another note, I have now broke my own record from a few years ago and we have now gone 28 games unbeaten in all comps.

I got a bit ahead of myself in the post above but we have now managed to set a new unbeaten record of 30 games for FC Twente.

unbeaten.jpg

Following that game was my 200th in charge of Twente vs AZ, not only was it a milestone game for that reason but we also had the chance to break an Ajax record from the 1970's of 19 straight league wins and go to 20.

200up.jpg

So, what happened.............

losea.jpg

We put in a shocker of a performance losing 1-0 to AZ, easily our worst performance in a long, long time. That wins record and Ajax's 52 game unbeaten run feels a long way away again now!

Thats a rubbish way to celebrate.

Sure was.

Flying in both the league and Champions League, keep it up :thup:

Thanks!

Champions League Update - First Knockout Round

sgtwente.jpg

twentepsg.jpg

Other Scores

clscores.jpg

First leg we got a little lucky to come away from PSG with a score draw, PSG dominated the majority of the game and our first goal was offside whilst our second was a stunning free-kick. However we went into the game without Mendy who was nursing an elbow injury so a draw was a good result, the away goals were also a bonus. Second leg was a similar story in terms of luck as although we dominated we again relied on fortune with an own goal and a penalty to secure our passage to the Quarters. Certainly not complaining though!

As for the Quarters, clearly I would love to draw CSKA. Anybody else will be very tough.

Should be an interesting tie after you turning them down :)

And remembering the age structure of their squad, their name may by now be bigger than the team... I fancy your chances of getting through! :thup:

Just what would you do if you actually win the CL this year? Domestically it seems to be a bore now.

I think you will get past Liverpool. Semi's will be interesting, either side should prove to be a challenge.

I hope you are right about the Liverpool game! I would like to test my team against Bayern or Man City and just see how we compare.

Should be an interesting tie after you turning them down :)

And remembering the age structure of their squad, their name may by now be bigger than the team... I fancy your chances of getting through! :thup:

Just what would you do if you actually win the CL this year? Domestically it seems to be a bore now.

Yes, the majority of their squad looks to be a little over the hill but they do have 3 or 4 very good players aged 22-24 to contend with. Again, I hope you are right aswell!

Thats a very good question, domestically we seem to be at that stage where we are just too good for the rest of the league and at times I fell like i'm on auto pilot going through the Eredivisie games. The only real domestic challenge that there is now is to try and break some of Ajax's long standing records.

If I were to win the CL this year I honestly don't know what I would do, on one hand it would be job done but on the other I have built such a good squad i'm not sure I would want to leave it behind just yet. I do want to manage across Europe, I would like spells in Germany, France, Italy, Spain and England if possible, i'm planning on this being my only save during FM12 so I guess time is on my side still.

Anyway thanks for the comment, the short answer to your question is no idea :D

Amazing start in the league, it's far too easy for your side now. Nice win against PSG, are they still owned by the Qataris?

Thanks :) Yes, PSG are still owned by the Qataris who are still spending big money on the team every year, however, all they have to show for their money so far is 1 Ligue 1 Title, 1 Europa League and 3 French Cups. They are having a tough time trying to topple Lyon and Marseille.

Been reading this thread with interest for a while now - one of the reasons I went to Lokeren and then Anderelcht myself was to try and emulate your success, albeit I was in Belgium.

Great stuff mate. :applause:

Thanks Daz :) Much appreciated mate.

You certainly did a great job in Belgium!

Champions League Update - Quarter Final

livtwente.jpg

twenteliv.jpg

Gutted, annoyed, frustrated, fuming. All those words could sum me up after that first leg at Anfield, we were simply awful as Liverpool cruised to a 3-0 win which to be fair could have been worse. Second leg was a bit better but the damage was done in that horror show at Anfield. In all our CL exits so far we have been hammered in the away legs conceding 11 goals in those 3 away games alone.

For the first time during this career i'm not sure where I go from here, maybe to the chairmans chequebook!

Thats a pity.
Tough break on the Champions league...don't take it too hard, just come back with anger and revenge for next year! ;)
Unlucky in the champions league but at least it gives you motivation for next season! :D
Sad exit :(
Very suprised at how much they dominated you in the first leg. TBH I'd be thinking it might be worth going back to the training pitch rather than the chairmans chequebook. Few tweaks of the tactic might be needed not new players.

Thanks for the comments guys :)

I've gotten over it now and i'll take the advice and come back stronger!

SBB, that's a fair point and something I have also been thinking about. Clearly our 4-1-2-1-2 is great domestically but maybe too open against the better European sides. I'm considering dropping my AMC back into a DMC role to form a deep 4-4-2 in europe, particularly away from home. I've used it a few times when forced into it by injuries domestically and it seems to work well. Mind you, I think the chairmans chequebook will be opening just a little aswell!

Archived