Board Expectations

Eredivise - Challenge for the Title

Champions League - Reach the Playoff of the Champions League

Dutch Cup - Reach the Semi Final of the Dutch Cup

Dutch Super Cup - Not Important

My Expectations

Eredivise - Finish Top 2 to get back into the Champions League

Champions League - Anything past the Group Stage will be a bonus

Dutch Cup - Will probably play the reserves this year, not really bothered about it

Dutch Super Cup - Would be nice to win a trophy, playing Vitesse

Budgets

Transfer Buget - £8m

Wage Budget - £385k - Currently spending £300k

Transfers

transfers2017.jpg

As you can see, a pretty busy summer. The only player I sold who I didn't want to let go was Giovani Casillas, my left winger had 1 year left on his contract and when he indicated he wasn't interested in signing a new one I quickly shipped him out for £5m to Lens. My target at the start of the window was to improve my defence with a new left back, right back and centre back. I ended up bringing in 2 right backs as Stefan Hagen my captain went down with a broken leg at Christmas and even though he is now fit at 30 his attributes have really gone downhill. Signed 2 Centre backs including an ageing Bassong, a left back on loan from Man U aswell as adding 3 wingers and a striker.

I also managed to get good money for 3 players not in my plans for the year ahead, Bryan Linssen, Abdoulaye and Sean Cunningham to leave me with a slightly larger squad than I wanted but still within my budgets. You may also notice Andy Carroll being released on a free, I signed him on a free in February as backup for Cotes and he played 4 games, scoring once. He got angry and when I told him he could rot in the reserves he asked to be let go which I was more than happy to do.

Key Signings

Dominogs Seide - £7m right back from AZ, physically and mentally strong and not a bad technically either, will start as first choice.

Adnan Colic - Another £7m signing, this time a left winger from Championship side Leicester. There is a good chance I overpaid but I needed a good winger and Adnan has good potential.

Issa Diaby - £3m centre half from the Romanian league, will likely start on the bench but should get plenty of game time.

Key Men

GK: Oliver Baumann

DEF: Leonardo Sigali

MID: Emmanuel Kufour and Matias Mirabaje

ATT: Mansour Mendy and Adissa Samiou

Team Report

squadreport17.jpg

Tactics and Starting XI

squadreport17.jpg

Next

Can't wait to the get the season going, from the Champions League draw to the challenge of defending the Eredivisie Title it should be an interesting season.

Well done City.

Thanks.

How do you think you can do in the CL?

We'll be 4th seeds going into the draw so i'm not expecting too much from the CL this year, I'll be delighted to make the knockout stages but depending on the draw 3rd place and a spot in the Europa League might be more realistic. Will update once the draw is done later, i'm looking forward to it but a bit wary of what group we might end up with.

Great result, congrats!

Thanks, even when I beat them they don't make it easy!

Champions League Group Stage Draw

clgroup.jpg

clgroup2a.jpg

Considering I was 4th seeds it could have been a lot worse, in saying that I do have the very strong looking reigning European Champions in OM who are led by Marek Hamsik and a solid looking Leverkusen. Looking at the fixtures I feel the first game against Kyiv game will be crucial to get off to a good start and it could be between myself and Leverkusen for 2nd, we'll see.

Not a bad draw. Might have a shot at qualification, as well as the Europa league.
As you say, the draw could of been a lot worse. Even if you don't make it, you stand more of a chance of picking up some points and thus more money.

I agree guys, and the £6m I got for being in the CL was a nice start!

turkeyflago.jpg

turkeyapp.jpg

I've been hoping for a while now to get into international football and the opportunity to manage Turkey was just what I was looking for. As you can see below they had an absolute shocker in trying to qualify for the 2018 World Cup failing to win a game and finishing bottom of their group. They have failed to qualify for any tournament on FM12 and their World Ranking has slipped all the way down to 103rd, the only way is up from here......I hope!

turkey2018.jpg

turkeyrank.jpg

Champions League Update

clstandings.jpg

clstandings2.jpg

We started slowly in Kyiv being 1-0 down at half time but we sprung into life in the second half scoring 4 goals in 16 minutes before adding a late 5th for the perfect start. Marseille outplayed us for their 2-0 win, it was a game we never threatened to win. For me the key result was the 4-1 win in Leverkusen, it should be noted they are having an awful season in the Bundesliga sitting in 13th place and having now sacked their manager but they still dominated the game however we just took our chances. The home win over Leverkusen was surprisingly comfortable and that put us through with two games to play. The Kyiv home win was routine and we had a chance of topping the group in the final game but to be fair Marseille outshot us 34-5 and we were very lucky to get a point.

Still, more than happy to come second in the group.

First Knockout Round Draw

cldraw.jpg

Again, not the worst draw I could have had and although Dortmund will be favourites I certainly think I have a chance of getting to the Quarters.

Good luck with Turkey, hopefully you can restore some pride!

Thanks! i'll certainly give it a go. I have noticed the key players now seem to be hitting the "veteran" stage of their careers and there isn't a huge amount coming through so should be interesting.

No whipping boys there but still should have been better.

Yes, not the easiest of groups for them but would have expected them to get some wins on the board, their squad isn't that bad although it is beginning to show it's age a little and there appears to be little depth.

Season 7

Mid season Update 2017/18

twentebadge.jpg

My board expectations for this year are to challenge for the title and thus far it's fair to say I am in the mix again. We are however 6 points down on this time last year and currently sit in 3rd place, 4 points off the leaders, Vitesse. We started great with 4 straight wins and to be fair I think we've done ok, we have dropped a few points that we shouldn't have here and there though but Vitesse have been very good thus far even winning 8 straight at one point. Our last game before the break was a crucial 1-1 draw in Vitesse to stop us falling 7 points adrift, that may have been tough to come back from.

Europe has gone great aswell so far.

Domestic Fixtures

fixtures2017.jpg

European Fixtures - Champions League

fixtures20172.jpg

Table

table17.jpg

Key Performers

Mansour Mendy - Mendy has been superb again so far this season notching 23 goals in 24 apps. I gave him a new contract in the summer with a £15m release fee and as soon as the January window opened Chelsea stormed in with a £15m bid which I had no choice but to accept. As he is so key for me and because he loves the club I decided to offer him a new deal in the hope he would turn down Chelsea, he accepted my offer and now has a £29.5m release clause.

Issa Diaby - Issa has been immense for me at the back this year, signed for £3m in the summer he has averaged 7.45 thus far and has already attacted interest from some big clubs. I'm not interested in selling however.

Next

Looks potentially like a 4 horse race for the Eredivisie this season, I certainly want to finish 2nd at least to book a place in next seasons Champions League. Vitesse look very strong this year, they have the biggest net salary in the league and they could be tough to stop this year.

In Europe we have surpassed my expectations and at this stage anything from here is a bonus, I expect to give Dortmund a game for sure.

Congrats on teh CL advancement - Dortmund are tough but should not be impossible!
Agree with this

Thanks abulezz, I agree aswell guys, looking forward to it!

You can't do any worse with Turkey than they have been doing and well done on getting through in the Champions League.

Thanks and very true, just had the draw for Euro 2020 Qualification. Pretty pleased with it to be honest, should at least get some points off San Marino :D

turkeygroup.jpg

Got my first game in charge coming up soon aswell, a friendly away to Chile, hoping to get off to a good start.

Not the start I was hoping for on my full International managerial debut...............

turkeydebut.jpg

I decided on a narrow 4-1-3-2 due to the lack of any real decent wingers but I think it's back to the drawing board on that one. One piece of good news though was the goal scoring debut of 16 year old Bayram Mumcu as he becomes both Turkey's youngest ever player and goalscorer. Looks a prospect that lad.

And..............Oh dear

rankingvm.jpg

Champions League Update - First Knockout Round

twentedortmund1.jpg

twentedortmund2.jpg

I must admit when we were leading 2-0 in the first leg I began to think about the Quarters, at that point we were dominant but they turned the screws in the last 20 minutes and got the crucial away goal. Second leg was brutal, we didn't register a shot on target until the hour mark and Dortmund more than deserved their victory.

Still, I would have settled for just getting out of the group stages at the start of the season so can't really complain too much although I think it does show there is a lot of work to do to get Twente ready to get into the latter stages in future years.

Good effort though.
Unlucky, looks like they dominated 2nd leg. Experience is a good thing though, should know who is up to the task of taking club to the next level now

Cheers guys, yes I got dominated in the 2nd leg for sure. You're spot on, i've got a good idea which players to move on now and hopefully with a decent budget can fill some of the positions that I know I need to improve.

Season 7

Season Review - 2017/18

twentebadge.jpg

In January we found ourselves 3rd in the table and 4 points behind the leaders, Vitesse and with their fantastic form over the first half of the season we were always going to need them to slip up to be able to overtake. Over the next 10 games Vitesse won only 3, drawing 6 and losing 1. This along with Ajax and PSV remaining just a little inconsistent gave us the advantage and despite Vitesse winning their last 7 games in a row we were just able to stay ahead of them, in the end by just 2 points with the title race again coming down to the final day. Our form also had to pick up for us to stand any chance and it did, we won 13 out of the remaining 17 games, drawing 3 and losing 1. Over the season we managed to put together a nice 17 game unbeaten run which started after an Ajax defeat and ended with an Ajax defeat.

In Europe we had a nice run into the Champions League First Knockout Round where we were well beaten by Dortmund, can't have any complaints here as just getting past the Group Stage was a good effort following being 4th seeds in the draw.

We were also able to lift the Dutch Cup this year aswell beating Vitesse 1-0 in the final.

Fixtures

fixtures2018.jpg

Final League Table

table2018.jpg

Key Performers

Mansour Mendy - A magnificent season from Mendy, 46 goals in all comps from a player who nearly left me in January when Chelsea came calling but he turned them down to sign a new contract here and i'm delighted he did as he really led this team to a league and cup double. Not surprisingly I have some big clubs after him this summer but unless someone matches the £29.5m release fee I don't see him going anywhere.

Adissa Samiou - Playing as an advanced forward he has been a great partner for Mendy, my poacher. Helping out with 26 goals in all comps and he is also attracting significant interest from some of Europe's biggest clubs. He like Mendy is currently at the World Cup.

Adnan Colic - I probably shouldn't be surprised that Colic had a good first year but to be honest I wasn't sure on him early on and he spent the first 10 games or so warming the bench. Once he got into the team though he stayed there getting 12 assists and 8 goals, another player who is attracting interest however only from lower level top division clubs.

Issa Diaby - The 21 year old Ivorian has been a rock at the heart of my defence averaging 7.36 over the season, another player I am desperate to keep hold of just a year after I signed him.

Leonardo Sigali - The veteran captain of my team, also a rock at the back forming a great stopper/covering partnership with Diaby. As well as being the leader at the back he weighed in with 11 goals this season, some of which were vital.

Ousmane Niasse - For anyone following this thread you will know I tried in vain to sign Niasse from LA a couple of year ago, even having bids near £9m rejected. His contract ran out in LA this past December and I finally picked him up on a free transfer. A great addition to the team as the season drew to a close helping us with an impressive 10 assists. Already being trailed by some big clubs.

Next Season

Will look to build on this years Champions League campaign to once again reach the knockout stages and hope that our experience from last year coupled with some new additions to the squad can help us go a little bit further. Domestically we have to be looking to defend our Eredivisie Title although it's never easy with Vitesse, Ajax and PSV on our trail.

I'll be in my final year of my 4 year contract this year (how time flies!) and at this stage can honestly say I don't know if it will be my last.

I'm also looking forward to having my first competitive games in charge of Turkey as we look to qualify for the 2020 Euros.

Season     Club               League                                      Position      Achievements

2011       Jevnaker IF        Norweigan Second Division Group 2           5th           Took over on 6.7.11
2012       Jevnaker IF        Norweigan Second Division Group 2           1st           League Champions, Promotion
2013       Jevnaker IF        Norweigan First Division                    7th           Left Club (didn't extend contract)
2014       Fortuna Sittard    Dutch Jupiler League                        14th          Took over on 26.2.14
2014-15    Fortuna Sittard    Dutch Jupiler League                        1st           League Champions, Promotion
2015-16    Fortuna Sittard    Dutch Eredivisie                            15th          Left Club after 6 games for FC Twente
2015-16    FC Twente          Dutch Eredivisie                            6th           Took over on 27.9.15
2016-17    FC Twente          Dutch Eredivisie                            1st           League Champions
2017-18    FC Twente          Dutch Eredivisie                            1st           League Champions, Dutch Cup Winners

International

Season     Nation                      Competition                     Position  

2016       Ivory Coast u23's           Olympic Games                   First Round 
2018-      Turkey

Well done on pipping Vitesse to the post.
Another brilliant season, well done :thup:

Cheers guys, gotta tell you i'm really enjoying this career.

You have such a young team, you are building a legacy at FC Twente. :thup:

Cheers, it's funny because it's not been totally by design that a lot of my main signings are young up and coming guys but more due to the fact that they are cheaper and easier to sign. There is a great core of young players here now although I do wish I could find a few more Dutch players as I am struggling a bit when it comes to registering my Champions League squad!

Nice work, I wish I could do such immersive updates. What leagues are loaded?

Thanks, I started with pretty much every league loaded so I could get a job when starting unemployed and since I moved to Holland and Twente in particular I have turned a number of the leagues off as it was getting a bit slow going. This is what i'm running with right now:

selectedleagues.jpg

Well done on defending your league trophy, and a credible showing in the Champions League too :thup:

Turkey have really fallen on their arse though, considering this is a nation that finished third in the 2002 World Cup.

Thanks, yes Turkey really have gone downhill quickly, at least I can't do much worse!

A great season for you! I see Messi is absolutely owning all the awards - did he manage to win a World Up yet? Marseille back to back Chapions League titles, interesting! And I like how Neymar is with Man utd!

Thanks! Argentina were knocked out in the 2nd round of the 2014 World Cup and i'm just going through the 2018 World Cup now, will update when it's finished. Marseille has a really nice squad, not the best in Europe but it's really well rounded with quality all over the park, for all of their European dominance of late this year was their first Ligue 1 title. Neymar set United back £34.5m and he's paid them back with 45 goals in 2 years and a League title, he couldn't help them against Marseille though as United have lost to them in their last two CL campaigns, both in the Quarters!

That's got to be heart-wrenching for the losing side. What a way to go down.
Just read from start to finish, you've done incredibly well :thup:

Congrats on the back to back championships and good luck for next season!

Well done on the double.

Sudan in the World Cup!

Brilliant career so far.You've done brilliantly with Twente as well,which I hope you can find more success and hopefully in Europe!

Thanks for all the comments guys, really appreciated!

Sudan making the World Cup was certainly a bit of a turn up! Lost 2-0 to Paraguay, 6-1 to Montenegro and 7-0 to Russia. Think it's fair to say they were just happy to be there!

Here's something I found interesting from my save, don't know if this is a common thing amongst others but what is Carlo upto here, looks like he can't make his mind up where he wants to be :D

englandmanagers.jpg

italymanagers.jpg

Great career so far! Really looking forward to seeing how you do in the Champions League this year, hopefully you can get further than the 2nd Round! :thup:

Thanks! Really hoping for some progress in the Champions League this year.

Former Club Watch

jevnaker17.jpg

fortuna18.jpg

Gutted to see Jevnaker relegated back to the Second Division, they had three solid years in the First Division after I left but they took just 1 point from their first 10 games this year and despite briefly putting some form together a shocking last few games saw them finish rock bottom. They also sacked Jon Midttun Lie and replaced him with 37 year old Erlend Ormbostad, hopefully he can get them back up but I think that may be tough.

Fortuna enjoyed another good year finishing 6th for the second season in a row, although they also lost the Europa League playoff for the second year in a row. They really have turned into a good Eredivisie side since I left under Rene Hake.

After two years of torment from Fortuna I think last year I finally lifted the curse, coming from 2-0 down to win 3-2 at their place and then producing this at home:

curselifted.jpg

Archived