Pre Season Update - 2018/19

twentebadge.jpg

Board Expectations

Eredivise - Challenge for the Title

Champions League - Reach the Playoff of the Champions League

Dutch Cup - Reach the Semi Final of the Dutch Cup

Dutch Super Cup - Not Important

My Expectations

Eredivise - Want to win the league for three in a row, i'll be disappointed now if I don't win it

Champions League - Hoping to match or just better last year's First Knockout Round effort

Dutch Cup - Again will mainly play the reserves this year, probably put the first team out if we get near the final

Dutch Super Cup - Playing Vitesse for the second year in a row, want revenge for that 4-3 defeat last year

Budgets

Transfer Buget - £8m

Wage Budget - £450k - Currently spending £300k

Transfers

transfers2018.jpg

This was the first summer where we brought in more money than we spent and that was down to selling two big players, Emmanuel Kuffour was my DMC but he wanted to move to a bigger club, I told him to rot in the reserves, he then requested a transfer and he then got his big move to Basel! Mario Cotes £9.5m departure to Leverkusen is disappointing mainly as we spent £16.5m in making him Twente's most expensive ever signing only two years ago. However Mario never really found his feet here, scoring 11 goals in his debut year but managing only 4 last season due to a combination of injury and not being good enough to get back into the starting XI upon his return. We had some interest and in the end I decided he would only be warming the bench this year so I was happy to accept the offer.

I decided not to splash big on another striker as I already have three that are more than good enough to start. I then brought in two strikers just to add squad depth, first I brought back Giovanni Sio on loan for the season who I sold to AC Milan after my first year in charge. Also signed Mohammed Agoye for just £950k to round out the strikers, as long as my main three stay fit these two wont see many games, at least until the African Nations when I will lose a number of key players.

To fill the DMC slot following kuffour's departure we brought in Adrian Paradinas for £4.7m from Palermo, delighted with this signing and Paradinas is a much different style of DM to Kuffour but I expect him to slot in nicely. The one position I really wanted to fill was at left back but my first two choices to come in both turned me down, one for Bayern and the other Nottm Forest which was a bit of a blow. We ended up using our link with Man U to sign Stefano Saleri and overspent to bring in Alex Okoro for £4.3m. Two decent players but I am missing that real quality at left back again this year.

Key Men

GK: Oliver Baumann - My very first signing at Twente and still my Number 1 to this day. He does however want to move on and with only 1 year on his contract it will take a big offer that i'm not prepared to make to keep him here. I won't sell him though and will let him leave for free at the end of the season as I wasn't able to find a suitable replacement over the summer, that will be my main priority for next season.

DEF: Leonardo Sigali - Still a key man for me at 31, my captain and leader of this team, out of contract at the end of the season but he will hopefully stay as long as he suffers no major decline over the year. Chips in with key goals aswell.

MID: Adnan Colic - Originally a bench warmer after his summer signing last year Colic ended up having a great year and will be huge on the left wing for me this year.

ATT: Mansour Mendy - My key man, 46 goals last year and if he stays fit this year i'm expecting more great things, desperate to keep him here as long as I can.

Team Report

report18.jpg

Tactics and Starting XI

tactics18.jpg

Next

Hoping for another good season domestically and really hoping for a good draw in the Chamoions League, we will be 3rd seeds this year and I would be delighted if we could make the Quarters this year.

As for me, my contract is up at the end of the season and I decided to reject the first offer I had to renew my contract. I'm leaning towards staying and trying to build the team towards European success but I will wait and just see what, if any offers come my way between now and the end of the season.

You've broken the voodoo! :thup:

Thanks, it certainly feels like it's about time!

That squad is bloody marvellous for the Dutch League. :)

What condition are your youth facilities, junior coaching etc? And the ovrall training facilities?

Cheers, yes it's a good squad for the Eredivisie for sure and in the main it's still a young squad. Would be great to think I can keep them together for a while as I think it could grow into a good European squad aswell.

These are my current facilities, I hadn't touched them before this summer partly down to finances and also partly because I wasn't planning on too long a stay here (although that may change) but the Training and Youth facilities are now both being upgraded.

facilities18.jpg

Everytime it is available, get the Junior Coaching increased so you can get to exceptional level asap :thup:

Good shout :thup:

Champions League Draw - Group Stage

cldraw18.jpg

cldraw18p2.jpg

Not a great draw to be fair, Man U are the reigning Premier League champs led by Neymar and Juve have won 3 of the last 4 Serie A titles. I'll need to pick up 6 points off Zurich to stand any chance here I think.

That should be managable at least.

I certainly hope so!

International Update - 2018

turkeyflago.jpg

Well, I took over at the back-end of 2017 thinking things with Turkey couldn't get much worse. Finishing bottom of their World Cup Qualifying group without recording a win and slipping to 103rd in the World Rankings at least gave me plenty of room for improvement. The squad itself isn't the best, Turkey seem to be in a situation where most of their best players are 30+ while the promising youngsters are just that, youngsters, there are very few prime aged quality Turkish internationals right now. We also have a problem with a real lack of width, the majority of our better players are all central meaning we have been switching between narrow 4-1-3-2 and 4-1-2-1-2 formations.

We started out 2018 with a 3-1 friendly defeat in Chile, my first game in charge of the National side. From there we started showing signs of promise winning in Wales and Australia aswell as a good 2-2 draw in Mexico.

Then it was time for the serious business to get underway:

Euro 2020 Qualifiers

Croatia Vs Turkey - We fell behind early and had a real tough first 10 minutes, from here though we gradually got back into the game producing an equaliser aswell as creating and missing another two great chances to get in front before the break. Was happy drawing at half-time but second half was a real letdown, Croatia dominated all half and it was no surprise when they got a 75th minute winner to beat us 2-1. Still, not a bad showing by any means against one of the stronger teams in the group.

Turkey Vs Israel - We went into this game as favourites and looked to get at them early, we started brightly for 10 minutes until one of our strikers decided to get himself needlessly sent off, from here we were on the backfoot all game and slumped to a very disappointing and frustrating 2-0 home defeat. following this game I was being refered to as the "under pressure" manager of Turkey.

San Marino Vs Turkey - If we were ever in need of an easy game then this was the time, to be honest this was as comfortable a win as you would expect to get here. We cruised to a 5-0 win opening the scoring as early as the 4th minute. Whilst this game was an easy one to have we were at least able to end a shocking run of 15 games without a competitive win.

turkeyfix.jpg

The table doesn't make great reading, sitting 5th after 3 games but our next game will be massive as Belarus come to town, a win in this game in March will put us right back in contention whilst a defeat could put us out of it. Other than oursleves Croatia, since beating us have lost 4-0 to Belarus and 1-0 at home to Israel. Israel's other win was 1-0 at home to Georgia to somewhat surprisingly top the group with a maximum 9 points out of 9.

turkeygroup2.jpg

Two tough sides in the CL, good luck though :thup:

Cheers. They certainly are, thats the problem of being lowly seeded in these draws I guess. Need to be first or second seeds really to get more chance of having that favourable draw.

FC Twente: Simply put, it would be a crushing blow if you dont win the Eredivisie with the talent at your disposal. Mendy is absolute class, and although Kuffour is supremely talented, your replacement will be more than adequate. I cant say I agree with the Cotes sale, though - but then again, you know your team better. Oh, and Colic is a beast!

Turkey: Not the best of starts, but you definitely have time to turn things around. Who are your key players for the squad?

FC Twente: Simply put, it would be a crushing blow if you dont win the Eredivisie with the talent at your disposal. Mendy is absolute class, and although Kuffour is supremely talented, your replacement will be more than adequate. I cant say I agree with the Cotes sale, though - but then again, you know your team better. Oh, and Colic is a beast!

Turkey: Not the best of starts, but you definitely have time to turn things around. Who are your key players for the squad?

Totally agree about Twente, we have built a squad to the point where it should be winning domestic trophies every year, no doubt about that. Mendy is without doubt superb, not bad for a £1.5m punt from the Tunisian league that is now attracting major interest from the top European clubs. Losing Kuffour was a blow but I generally will always let my unhappy players leave regardless of how talented they are.

Fair point on the sale of Mario Cotes and it wasn't an easy decision to sell, I clearly saw great ability and potential to spend £16.5m on him and in his first season I used him as a Target Man/Complete Forward alongside Mendy where he got 10 league goals. Second season he suffered a bad injury early on meaning I replaced him in the starting XI with Adissa Samiou. Because I didn't have a backup target man at that time I went with a Mendy/Poacher and Samiou/Advanced Forward combo. This was so lethal that when Cotes came back I had little need for him and he sat on the bench, when he did come back into the team he struggled for goals. When the summer came around I wasn't planning on selling him but when the offer came in I decided to pull the trigger as I couldn't guarantee him starting games and a player like that will not take being sat on the bench every week. To back up you're point further he has been lethal for Leverkusen since I sold him.

There is still time for me to turn it around with Turkey but truthfully I don't really have belief in the squad, our key men are Nuri Sahin and two defenders, Omer Toprak and Serdar Aziz. all good players but after that it's pretty slim pickings right now. One player I am excited about however is Bayram Mumcu, who at just 17 could be the future of Turkish football. He is heading to Fenerbahce on loan next season which should help his progression.

Thanks for the thoughts, much appreciated :thup:

Champions League Update - Group Stage

Matchday 1: Man U Vs FC Twente - A real tough start to the group, we started great keeping United quiet early on before we took the lead on the half hour, we created another great chance which we couldn't take before the break. We led 1-0 at half time but the second half didn't go well, Smalling equalised after 51 mins and from then on it was backs to the wall, we held out until 83 mins when Neymar produced a bit of magic to undo us, they added a late third meaning we slumped to a 3-1 opening game defeat.

Other Score: Juventus 3-1 Zurich

Matchday 2: FC Twente Vs Juventus - Another tough looking game however we started great, taking the lead in the 2nd minute through Samiou, from there we never looked back producing the most memorable performance in my career as we strolled to a huge 5-1 win. Just a stunning effort which I did not expect at all.

Other Score: Zurich 0-4 Man U

Matchday 3: FC Twente Vs Zurich - I said at the draw that for us to have any chance of qualifying from this group we would need to win these two games with Zurich, well, the first game was a real walk in the park, Samiou putting us in front after 6 mins and seeing us cruise to a comfortable 3-0 win.

Other Score: Man U 6-1 Juventus

Matchday 4: Zurich Vs FC Twente - Zurich were always likely to pose more of a threat at home and they did, however we again were too strong for them running out 3-0 winners for the second time in 3 weeks.

Other Score: Juventus 1-1 Man U

Matchday 5: FC Twente Vs Juventus - We went into the penultimate game knowing a win would put us through but any other result would take it to the last matchday. We started great taking the lead through our Captain Leonardo Sigali, from there United stepped it up and got the equaliser after 31 mins. As the game went on United took control and only due to them missing some good chances we held on for a 1-1 draw. This result ensured Utd would go through.

Other Score: Zurich 0-4 Juventus

Matchday 6: Juventus Vs FC Twente - Going into this game the scenario was pretty simple, we were 3 points ahead of Juve meaning they had to better our 5-1 result back on matchday 2 to knock us out. We started out playing defensively but Juve started like they meant business, taking a lead through abel Hernandez inside 5 mins, they added a second on 24 mins and they just kept coming, wave after wave. At this point some 30 mins in and lucky to only be two down we decided to go slightly more offensive and it paid off on 45 mins as Mendy fired us back into the game. 2-1 down at half time we came out second half and played some of the best football i've seen us play equalising on 48 mins through Niasse and taking the lead on 63 through Colic. Hernandez made it 3-3 just 3 mins later but Samiou scored the winner from the penalty spot seeing us to another memorable win over Juve, this time 4-3 and a place in the last 16.

Other Score: Man U 6-1 Zurich

Final Table

clgroup3.jpg

clgroup4.jpg

I didnt know about Samiou - your All-African strikeforce is fearsome in any league! Mumcu is special, that is for sure - but you will have to be coach long enough to see his prime!

Edit: Congrats on your CL qualification!

Thanks! Yes, they are fearsome although it looks as though that partnership could be about to split up :( I've had significant interest in Samiou and it looks like he'll be on his way very soon.

Mumcu does look special, as you say though I may not be around to see in his prime, not sure I can carry on at Turkey that long!

Juve who? That was an easy group :cool:

:D And they are 7 points clear at the top of Serie A, no sweat :cool:

Champions League Update - First Knockout Round Draw

cml16.jpg

Relatively happy with the draw although Lyon have been in two finals in recent years.

Season 8

Mid season Update 2018/19

twentebadge.jpg

So far so good, certainly can't complain at our first half of the season. In the Eredivisie we have in the main been superb suffering just the two losses to sit top of the league with a nice 7 point cushion. The highlight domestically for me so far has been beating Fortuna 7-0 at their place, i'm starting to like them again now! We also got revenge on Vitesse for beating us in last years Super Cup by beating them 3-0 in the Super Cup this year and have advanced to the Quarter Finals of the Dutch Cup.

Domestic Fixtures

fixtures18.jpg

European Fixtures

eurofix.jpg

Eredivisie Table

tablex.jpg

Key January Transfers

Out

Adissa Samiou - FC Bayern - £21.5m

Our biggest blow this season has come in losing one half of our deadly duo up front. Gutted to lose Adissa although not a bad return on investment considering we bought him for just £1.2m three and a half years ago. I decided to accept the bid because with 18 months left on his contract he was starting to show signs of unrest and wanted huge money to sign a new deal, with some other players on "match the highest earner" contracts I decided I had to sell.

In

Wojciech Szczesny - Free Transfer

With Baumann likely to leave in the summer this was a no brainer.

Yacouba Cisse - Seattle - Free Transfer

Another MLS based player I have been tracking for a few years and picked him up once his contract expired, quality left winger to rotate with Colic.

Oumar Akovi - Zurich - £3.3m

My replacement for Adissa Samiou, spotted him during the Champions League games against Zurich and decided to bring him in once Adissa left. Has the potential to be a key player in years to come.

Marin Grnja - SV Mattersburg - £2m

This was an interesting one as my scouts weren't very high on Marin but I needed a backup AMC and with him also covering wide right and up front I decided to ignore my scouts on this one.

Key Performers

Mansour Mendy - No update would be complete without a Mendy mention, another great first half of the season notching 26 goals so far. PSG are the latest club to try and steal him away but unless they or anyone else meet his £29.5m release fee he is going nowhere, not yet anyway.

Tariq El Taourghi - I haven't mentioned Tariq very much in these updates yet but I get the feeling that is about to change, signed for £1.7m a year ago from FC Istres he has mainly been third choice behind Samiou and Mendy but with Samiou gone Tariq will be moving into the starting XI. He already has 11 goals on the season as i've been easing him into the team.

Leonardo Sigali and Issa Diaby - My two centre halves have been superb so far, they really are a great partnership at the back.

Next

Unfortunately it's time again for the African Nations which will see me lose a lot of my key players for 4 league games and a Dutch Cup Quarter Final, providing I can come through those games unscathed another League Title is certainly within my grasp.

I have a tough looking tie with Lyon in the CL Last 16, i'll be delighted if I can make the Quarters this year.

Lyon's always a tough nut to crack in Europe in pretty much everyone's save, I suppose. Lisandro Lopez is a beast - although Im not sure just how much damage he's doing in yours!

Yes, Lyon and Marseille have been superb in my save. Luckily Lopez went off to Man City a few years ago and he's now seeing out his career at Villa.

Good luck against Lyon!

Thanks, reckon it'll be a close game but will be difficult.

Nicely done on getting through.

Thanks.

Managerial Update

twentecontract.jpg

liverpooloffer.jpg

My contract is up with Twente at the end of the season and as yet I haven't signed a new one. Whilst thinking about my future I have had my first serious job offer from Liverpool who are currently 6th in the Premier League after 20 games.

These are the options that I am considering:

A) Join Liverpool now (no offer to delay until seasons end)

B) Turn down Liverpool but leave FC Twente at the end of the season when my contract expires

C) Turn down Liverpool and sign a new short to medium length contract with FC Twente (focus on short term success)

D) Turn down Liverpool and sign a new long term contract with FC Twente (focus on long term success i.e becoming a top European club over time)

Any advice guys?

Tough decision,it would be appealing to join Liverpool if the players they currently have are not coming to the end of careers but there also seems to be alot of pressure on the Liverpool job if the manager got sacked for being 6th!

On the flip side,you have a very good squad with Twente so I'd personally sign a short to medium length contract with Twente then see how far you have progressed with them by the end of that contract.

Thanks for the advice guys :thup:

Tough call. Any sign of other managers being under pressure at bigger clubs than Twente? As an Everton fan I wouldn't go anywhere near the Liverpool job. Also you are building a decent squad so may be worth hanging about for a short while. See if you can challenge in the CL

There are a few other jobs that may open up but doesn't look like any real big ones other than Liverpool that would tempt me away at this stage. I've been linked to a few including Everton earlier in the season but this is the first actual offer I have had.

Tough decision,it would be appealing to join Liverpool if the players they currently have are not coming to the end of careers but there also seems to be alot of pressure on the Liverpool job if the manager got sacked for being 6th!

On the flip side,you have a very good squad with Twente so I'd personally sign a short to medium length contract with Twente then see how far you have progressed with them by the end of that contract.

Thats a really good point, there are 3 quality youngsters in the first team squad but the vast majority of the core players are 29-31 years of age, looks a bit of a rebuilding project. Add in the board pressure and it doesn't look so appealing I agree.

Considering the strength of your FC Twente side, I would want to see you lead them to the CL title before hopping off for a new challenge.

Yes, you all make good points about the strength of my current squad and a big part of me would like to see the job through and get some European success, my only concern with Twente is losing my better players.

Still, I've got a little while to think about it before I fire up FM again later but I think i'm leaning towards turning down Liverpool and signing a new deal with Twente.

Some great results against Juventus, and a good showing in the league too.

I'd delay the Liverpool offer until the end of the season. That way, you'll probably bag another Dutch league trophy before moving to the best club in the world :D

I think it depends on your desire to win the CL with Twente. You've done it all domestically, so all that's left is some European Success.
Great read so far! I'd say only commit short term, do what you can there and if a job offer pops up that really tempts you then jump at it.
Some great results against Juventus, and a good showing in the league too.

I'd delay the Liverpool offer until the end of the season. That way, you'll probably bag another Dutch league trophy before moving to the best club in the world :D

Thanks for all your thoughts guys, sorry AK :D but i've decided to reject the Liverpool offer and stay at FC Twente and have signed a four year extension.

The aim is a simple one, win the Champions League :D

twentecontract.jpg

That was a tough call but I think in the end you made the right one, going far in the CL with Twente will be a lot more sweeter than if you did it with Liverpool!
I think it's the right decision too. Strong team you're getting together and don't think you are too far from a team who could challenge.
Well done resisting that. Agree with staying but wouldn't have blamed you.

Thanks guys, it's nice to know some bigger clubs are lurking but i'm really excited about trying to take Twente to Champions League success.

Champions League Update - First Knockout Round

twentelyon.jpg

lyontwente.jpg

Great feeling to get through to the Quarters for the first time, we dominated most of the first game and deserved our two goal lead going onto the second leg but the only disappointment was giving up the 88th minute second away goal which I thought may cost us. We were on the backfoot for most of the Second leg but the early goal really gave us a great start but from there we were pretty reliant on a combination of our keeper and some poor Lyon finishing.

My hope was for a Quarter final appearance so i'm delighted already with our CL run this year but with a good draw who knows how far we could go.

Other Scores

cll16scores.jpg

Bit of a surprise to see the two time defending champs Marseille throw away a 2 goal advantage against Chelsea, Vitesse's good run was ended by Barca who along with Real Madrid I hope to avoid. Would be an interesting one if I draw Liverpool who I just turned down.

Impressive progress. Brave to turn down Liverpool.

Thanks, hopefully it'll prove to be the right choice in time.

Great results, well done. You say you want to avoid Madrid and Barca but who do you want to face in the next round?

Thanks, Wolfsburg have the weakest squad out of the teams that are left so would love to draw them. Other than Wolfsburg every squad has more quality than mine so will be tough.

Very good job beating Lyonnais - they are always a tough team to beat.

Thanks, yes they are a strong team on my save and to be honest I could have easily gone out if Lyon found their shooting boots in the second leg.

Great win over Lyon, good luck in the Quarters! :thup:

Thanks! Speaking of which........

Champions League Update - Quarter Final Draw

clquarterdraw.jpg

Got the draw I wanted, now I just have to beat them!

Semi Final Draw

clsemidraw.jpg

If and it's still a big if I get through PSG would be a great draw for a CL Semi if they beat Real.

You did well avoiding all the big guns there!

I sure did and here's how I got on:

Champions League Update - Quarter Final

twentewolf.jpg

wolftwente.jpg

I can't help but feel a little bit unlucky to be out but the big difference between the two sides was the quality of finishing. In the first leg Wolfsburg seemed to score everytime they came forward in the first half and at 3-1 down at half time I thought I was already out. Second half was fantastic as we clawed our way back to win 4-3 but to be honest the damage had already been done. Mansour Mendy at least enhancing his reputation with all our goals.

Second leg was another tough one to take as all four of Wolfsburg's goals were long range screamers and I was pretty stunned to be 4-0 down for the second year in a row during a CL second leg in Germany. We put up a late fight getting two goals back but just couldn't quite force extra time.

Still, all in all a good run to the Quarters of the CL and something to build on for next year, now to finish off our domestic season.

The quarter-finals is not a bad place to be - Rome was not built in a day, and you have done a fantastic job taking a Dutch club not called Ajax or PSV so far into the tournament.

Very true, L16 last year, Quarters this year is good progress. We'll see if I can go further next year.

You did well taking Twente to the Quarter finals,you've done really well building them up.Keep up the good work :D

Unlucky there in the CL and I'm glad you didn't take the Liverpool job!

Although I still think you should leave at the end of the season for some reason.

Thanks, i'm glad aswell now, i'm having a blast with Twente.

I've had a couple of offers to leave as i'm onto the offseason now, Porto and Milan but my new 4 year contract should keep me at Twente for a while. A Part of me thinks I should stay until I win the CL but then I thought I may never leave :D

Archived