FM12: What Team Should I Be?

SRL88

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've really enjoyed playing as Napoli.

You start with very little money to play with, but a team that has 1 excellent player (Lavezzi) and 2 stars (Hamsik and Cavani). You also have a squad which is well set up to play a certain way (if you don't want to play with wing backs, you'll probably need to acquire full backs) and doesn't require many signings to win the league when you're predicted to finish 8th. Cavani will score 20-30 every season for at least 3 seasons (probably more, but he picked up a bad injury on my game). Hamsik scores plenty and collects a lot of assists if used well.

The squad has a fairly low wage budget, which if kept under control, will enable you to pull in steady profits (I've probably averaged a million a month profit for 5 seasons now). If you couple this with success on the pitch, you'll easily work up a good transfer budget to tackle Europe. I've won the league 4 seasons on the trot, won the Champions League on my 2nd and 4th seasons and been beaten in the final.

A great example of a good but not top team, not a typical pick and the potential to do really well.

anyone please?

Sparta Prague, Olympiakos, Panathinaikos, Partizan, Red Star, Austria Wien, Basel, Red Bull Salzburg, Rapid Wien, Galatasaray... Probably your best bet would be Basel or Galatasaray.

some interesting ideas there Gene, thanks. Sparta Prague might look like a good challenge,to try and make them a strong european side. How are they financially?

Almost 8 million in the bank to start with and a transfer budget of 1.91 million. Be advised though, you can only have 3 non-EU players in the first 11.

I've got a save with Austria Wien where I'm in the 3rd season with a transfer budget of 11 million and 22 million in the bank. Quite a fun save.

Edit- Galatasaray have 23 million in the bank and a ton of sponsorship deals, they make quite a bit of money.

Thanks. Any other up and coming clubs from even lower leagues? For example in Bulgaria there is a club, Ludogorets, which has alot of money now.

Vitesse in Holland have a sugardaddy now. Could be an interesting save.

Looking for a short, slightly experimental game as a break from my main save and just because I have a nagging desire to try out a different playing style before I risk it on my beloved 1860. Bit of an awkward request this, looking for something a bit different so would appreciate if anyone can help.

Nation: Any (preferably one where I will have some base knowledge, so most european/major south american.

Division: Top

European Competition: Don't care

Media Prediction: Not 1st, 2nd, 3rd

Board Expectation(s): Lower the better as I will be experimenting with tactics

Transfer Budget: Depends

Wage Budget: Healthy

Finances: As long as they are alright in the short-term I don't mind

Other: ....

I nearly always play with a rigid 442/4231 so for a change I am basically looking to play a very fluid style of football in the following formation:

----------GK---------

----CB----CB----CB--- (would also consider a SW instead of middle CB)

WB-------DM-------WB

-----------------------

----AM---AM---AM----

----------ST----------

So I would like the squad to have players capable of these positions (or money to buy them), as long as they are "Competent" I don't mid retraining. At the moment I have only found Napoli which seems to fit this request so was just looking for a couple more options.

Thanks a lot guys

Gene, how are you getting on with 1860?

I think Genoa or Fiorentina would be a better choice than Napoli. Genoa you have about £3M to spend IIRC plus you have a big wage budget which you can move across. Fiorentina is almost ready made to play that formation, terminate Amauri's loan, sell Berahmi and you'll have about £5M to spend which can go on a forward and a spare DM or CB, also looking at the formation you are planning using Cerci could go for decent money (though he could be retrained to a CF or AMC pretty easily)

I was going to say Napoli myself ha. They play with WB's in real life so they could be a good shout.

Napoli are obviously ready made for it, I was thinking more that with Napoli it is pretty easy to win the league at the first go but with this being a test run for 1860 a more mid/top half side would be a closer reflection to how things would go for him :)

I'm going in to my 5th season with 1860, qualified for europe for the first time so the teams you guys have mentioned are about the right standard in terms of their standing in the league. Thanks a lot for the suggestions I'll take a closer look tonight before choosing.

Also - good username Dexter_Morgan, great show!

No problem mate, been thinking of a 1860 save myself, had a decent one last year until my laptop died I know the money is tight in the first season but is there enough room in wage budgets to sign a few freebies or would I have to get rid of one or 2 of the better players first? Also do they make much money when the season gets going?(And sorry for going a bit off topic, if I end up asking a few more questions i'll take it to PM :) )

Yea money is pretty tight but the squad is great for the second division and I got promoted in 2nd without making a signing (I think I loaned a LB maybe if I recall correctly but I'll check tonight). The wingers and strikers are great and I had no problem beating teams. After that first year yes you make a great profit every year and the club has no debts. The board are pretty tight with it though so the first year or two you will need to look for bargains etc. However if you can stay up that first year in the bundesliga then the money starts coming through. I now have around £40million in the bank through being tight in the transfer market and with wages. I would really recommend them as a fun save. Here's what I wrote to someone else about them:

Yep, just about to enter season 2015/16. Loving it. Got promoted first year with no signings. Wingers (Halfar and Aigner) and strikers (especially Lauth) are too good for the rest of that league to cope with. Finished 14th, 11th, and now 5th in Bundesliga. Club makes healthy profits each year and produces excellent youth players, I already have 3 regens who are regarded as 4.5/5* (leading bundesliga) potential by my staff. And you start with Sebastian Maier who is also developing in to a top player for me. I really reccommend it.

EDIT: Just to show how you can build the team my starting XI is now: ter Stegen (free), Femenia (1.2), Schindler (had from start), Muniesa (free), Newgen,

Crisetig (1.8), Kofi Agyei (4.3), Markovic (1.9), Maier (had from start), Dentino (4.5), Newgen.

Halfar and Aigner both still rotated in for easier games.

The club has no debt and my bank balance is now something like £40mil (but I do tend to be tight with wages and a low-spender - as you can tell from my signings - Kofi Agyei and Dentinho were only bought this year as I made it in to Europe).

In all my FM years I've never managed to have journeyman style career, so what I would like to know is which country is the best to start in and which countries should I load, I'm not fussed about where to start just want a long enjoyable save! Cheers for your suggestions!

Have a look in the Careers Forum and see what other users have loaded.

This is my thread and I feel like I had a good set of loaded I think (they are posted in the OP). I would personally start off unemployed, apply for all jobs and see what comes up.

Nation: European, but not English or Italian

European Competition: Don't mind

Media Prediction: outside top 3

Board Expectation(s): Mid-table or better

Transfer Budget: nothing fancy, just some to be able to maneuver in the transfer market

Wage Budget: don't mind

Finances: no sugar daddy

Other:

I need a new challenge for myself. I've taken Napoli and Inter to the top in Italy, Liverpool to the top in England. I like to take on teams who have the potential to get back to the top of the tree, who have a good size stadium so they can be profitable and a solid enough base to work from. I thought Marseille in France would be good, but that has not at all worked out! So I'm hoping for some good suggestions! Considering Dortmund but as they are current Champions that puts me off a little

Nation: Germany, Italy, Spain, Portugal and last option England

Division: - top div.

European Competition: -

Media Prediction: mid-table / top club

Board Expectation(s): -

Transfer Budget: Enough to buy some talents

Wage Budget: -

Finances: -

Other: So far i was thinking of Athletico Madrid, Malaga, Valencia, Villareal, Porto, Sporting clube Portugal and you can add clubs from the other leagues listed above. I'm looking for a team that have a few good youngsters were i can build on. I prefer a team with high determantion and work rate. Hope you have some ideas for me. Cheers

Looking for a short, slightly experimental game as a break from my main save and just because I have a nagging desire to try out a different playing style before I risk it on my beloved 1860. Bit of an awkward request this, looking for something a bit different so would appreciate if anyone can help.

Nation: Any (preferably one where I will have some base knowledge, so most european/major south american.

European Competition: Don't care

Media Prediction: Not 1st, 2nd, 3rd

Board Expectation(s): Lower the better as I will be experimenting with tactics

Transfer Budget: Depends

Wage Budget: Healthy

Finances: As long as they are alright in the short-term I don't mind

Other: ....

I nearly always play with a rigid 442/4231 so for a change I am basically looking to play a very fluid style of football in the following formation:

----------GK---------

----CB----CB----CB--- (would also consider a SW instead of middle CB)

WB-------DM-------WB

-----------------------

----AM---AM---AM----

----------ST----------

So I would like the squad to have players capable of these positions (or money to buy them), as long as they are "Competent" I don't mid retraining. At the moment I have only found Napoli which seems to fit this request so was just looking for a couple more options.

Thanks a lot guys

Gene, how are you getting on with 1860?

Try Villarreal, 2 players who are SW

Nation: Germany, Italy, Spain, Portugal and last option England

Division: - top div.

European Competition: -

Media Prediction: mid-table / top club

Board Expectation(s): -

Transfer Budget: Enough to buy some talents

Wage Budget: -

Finances: -

Other: So far i was thinking of Athletico Madrid, Malaga, Valencia, Villareal, Porto, Sporting clube Portugal and you can add clubs from the other leagues listed above. I'm looking for a team that have a few good youngsters were i can build on. I prefer a team with high determantion and work rate. Hope you have some ideas for me. Cheers

I would have a look at Gladbach in Germany. A solid young squad with room to build.

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/293492-FM12-Borussia-M%C3%B6nchengladbach-Mehr-als-ein-Wunder

I would have a look at Gladbach in Germany. A solid young squad with room to build.

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/293492-FM12-Borussia-M%C3%B6nchengladbach-Mehr-als-ein-Wunder

Cheers But I was looking to start in Spain or Portugal then look at teams in England, Germany and Italy in that order. I did take a look at Gladbach but they are loosing there best player to Dortmund next season on the new patch.

Looking fora modern day version of Ajax - much like the mid 90's team. Looking for a team that has a collection of good young players that can be built on. Preferably outside the big leagues but looking for any ideas.

Ajax still have the same base, other than that I would recommend Anderlecht or Bilbao

Transfer Budget: nothing fancy, just some to be able to maneuver in the transfer market

Other:

I need a new challenge for myself. I've taken Napoli and Inter to the top in Italy, Liverpool to the top in England. I like to take on teams who have the potential to get back to the top of the tree, who have a good size stadium so they can be profitable and a solid enough base to work from. I thought Marseille in France would be good, but that has not at all worked out! So I'm hoping for some good suggestions! Considering Dortmund but as they are current Champions that puts me off a little

Toulouse FC. Not sure about transfer budget yet, but some very good players in there. Sissoko, Didot, Capoue, Abdennour, M'Bengue. So a very solid base to go from. They really need a striker and a playmaker, but they look a real challenge. Mid-table expectations. I'm about to start with them.

Looking for a team in the lower leagues. Loading up all the UK nations. Don't want anything too hard but not too easy, a team with potential. I was thinking Bradford possibly but wonder if anyone has any better plans.

Nation: one of top european nations

Division:lower league perhaps even the lowest

European Competition: N/A

Media Prediction:dont mind

Board Expectation(s):dont mind

Transfer Budget: large with rich owner

Wage Budget: large

Finances: good

Other: playing on newest patch

Nation: none of top leagues

Division: not important

European: again not important

Media prediction: don't mind

Board expectations: quite relaxed

Transfer budget: none or very small

Wage budget: enough to take in 1 or 2 or sell 2 buy

Finances: insecure or bankrupt

Other: on latest patch

Looking for a nice little challenge I know the likes of port vale Portsmouth are in admin but English league gets a little boring to me along with scottish league with rangers even the 10 point deduction have still won league in season 1 so want a team that may take time to build a dynasty

Hope there is more out there

Nation: none of top leagues

Division: not important

European: again not important

Media prediction: don't mind

Board expectations: quite relaxed

Transfer budget: none or very small

Wage budget: enough to take in 1 or 2 or sell 2 buy

Finances: insecure or bankrupt

Other: on latest patch

Looking for a nice little challenge I know the likes of port vale Portsmouth are in admin but English league gets a little boring to me along with scottish league with rangers even the 10 point deduction have still won league in season 1 so want a team that may take time to build a dynasty

Hope there is more out there

Italy are full of sleeping giants who have fallen down the leagues. Could be fun to try and resurrect one of them:

Very Difficult - Pro Vercelli : Former titans of italian football. Won 7 Serie A Titles between 1908 and 1922. Now find themselves languishing in Serie C.

Tough - Hellas Verona: 1984/85 Serie A Champions, now struggling in Serie B and in need of rejuvenation.

Fun Challenge - Torino: Glorious past including 7 Serie A titles, 5 Coppa Italias but now down in Serie B and forced to live in the shadows of city rivals Juventus.

Nation: Any

Division: Not top

Media Prediction: Any

Board Expectation(s): Quite lenient board

Transfer Budget: Enough to make a few signings

Finances: Secure/ quite a bit in the bank

Other: Want a team quite low down the pyramid but with potential to really get up the leagues. Like Leeds but not massively kean on staying in England fancy a holiday. Also I dont like league restricions i.e only 3 non-eu players. I like Bilbao style football so if anyone knows any teams with a similar base of players would be good. Not too specific I know ;)

Cheers in advance :)

Italy are full of sleeping giants who have fallen down the leagues. Could be fun to try and resurrect one of them:

Very Difficult - Pro Vercelli : Former titans of italian football. Won 7 Serie A Titles between 1908 and 1922. Now find themselves languishing in Serie C.

Tough - Hellas Verona: 1984/85 Serie A Champions, now struggling in Serie B and in need of rejuvenation.

Fun Challenge - Torino: Glorious past including 7 Serie A titles, 5 Coppa Italias but now down in Serie B and forced to live in the shadows of city rivals Juventus.

What like are there finances not really clued up on the Italian leagues am looking for a team that's skint the poorer the better administration or point deduction would be ideal

Nation: Any

Division: Not top

Media Prediction: Any

Board Expectation(s): Quite lenient board

Transfer Budget: Enough to make a few signings

Finances: Secure/ quite a bit in the bank

Other: Want a team quite low down the pyramid but with potential to really get up the leagues. Like Leeds but not massively kean on staying in England fancy a holiday. Also I dont like league restricions i.e only 3 non-eu players. I like Bilbao style football so if anyone knows any teams with a similar base of players would be good. Not too specific I know ;)

Cheers in advance :)

Not sure...but why not try Furth - BundesLiga Second Divison - huge potential and a good challenge.

What like are there finances not really clued up on the Italian leagues am looking for a team that's skint the poorer the better administration or point deduction would be ideal

To be honest Pro Vercelli and Hellas Verona are probably average for their leagues and Torino slightly above average. On the grand scale of things this obviously means that Pro Vercelli have pretty limited resources as they are a 3rd Tier team but they don't have exceptionally bad finances in terms of their standing in the league.

Other:

Why not try Bilbao?

Nation: European

European Competition: Not Bothered

Media Prediction: Mid-Table

Board Expectation(s): Mid-Table/ European Qualification

Transfer Budget: A bit to play with would be nice so 5M+ but not fussed if its a bit less

Wage Budget: A big part and probably the most important for this save is i want someone who is not over budget and must have room for movement.

Finances: Not an issue as to what finances are like.

Other: In a nutshell i am looking for a team with ambition, a good core of players with room for me to put my stamp on the team. I am looking for a club which i could transform from top to bottom, so the facilities must be able to be upgraded. Preferably a team in a country with not many restrictions as to what players i can buy etc. If your recomendation has a team page that would be even better as i am not used to venturing away from England :o I think thats all but if not il add stuff as and when any options have been offered.

Thanks chaps.

Archived