England vs Hungary August Your Starting 11,

Jayoel

Yeah those managers who pick heskey know nothing about football, all those managers who have made careers out of the game and have signed this lump what a bunch of charlatans.

You do realise your wrong? Totally and utterly wrong.

Stop digging because its not going to be pretty.

if you were to ask Martin O'Neil whether he regrets signing him or not I bet he'd say he does. Far, far better players around from our country who can play the role he's meant to.

He used to be alright, yeah. But that was when he had Michael Owen next to him scoring loads of goals and making him look better than he actually was.

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So all the other managers Sven, ginger Steve, Capello, Houliier etc are all poor know nothings but MArtin O'Neil gets away with it because in your head he would admit to regretting signing him?

Someone take the spade away from this lad.

I'm pretty sure many other people feel the same as me. In fact, I've seen loads of people from these boards slate Heskey. It's usually only the minority who stick up for him

Fwiw, McClaren barely picked Heskey

Should just go for a new approach to be honest.

GK: Joe Hart

DR: Micah Richards

DC: Ryan Shawcross

DC: Steven Taylor

DL: Keiran Gibbs

DM: Owen Hargreaves

MR: James Milner

ML: Adam Johnson

AM: Ashley Young

FC: Andy Carroll

ST: Gabby Agbonlahor

Not saying we'll win but it's best to get these players bled in quick, Andy Carroll is an unknown at the moment, he'll either end up terrible and boring or quite decent, we could lose him to Scotland so we're best off tying him down as soon as possible. Players of his mould either click or don't.

Putting Owen Hargreaves as the DM keeps an experienced head in there as a cornerstone for the team, best bet for captain aswell.

Sturridge, Rodwell and Wilshire are awesome talents and would fit in the squad but I think it's gotta be a fine balance between youth and experience.

I know alot of people are thinking "That's daft, none of these are ready". We play enough poor teams and fail to dominate as we have big reputation players underperforming, we need some of the young players with something to prove, something to earn. Even if the young approach doesn't work well, bring some of the older players in and go 50/50. It'll then give the older players a reason to play out of their skin, their place in the team.

Yeah, I'm sure their club managers who see them day in day out won't have noticed how good they are and will be influenced by a performance in a friendly against Hungary.
if you were to ask Martin O'Neil whether he regrets signing him or not I bet he'd say he does. Far, far better players around from our country who can play the role he's meant to.

He used to be alright, yeah. But that was when he had Michael Owen next to him scoring loads of goals and making him look better than he actually was.

As a matching winning player on his own Heskey is not the same player he used to be he once had excellent pace and power strength etc. I dont think o'neil does regret signing him one bit otherwise he would have offloaded him already, i can see peoples points on Heskey not being the player he used to be but he is not as bad as people make out many (English) people seem to forget that football is a TEAM game and not 11 solo players going out to play a football match otherwise England may have got to the semi and Brazil and Argentina wouldnt be out the World Cup? In recent times due to the media alot has been mentioned about the Anchor man/Water carrier (as Deschamps was once labelled) who has become vitally important to a 451/433 system but i think Heskey in a 442 system works well especially if you have Wayne Rooney in form playing of him.

I agree about a few players around the country being better than Heskey but none have his experience when going into a Major Tournament which i think Capello was looking for when he choose Heskey.

Overall Emile Heskey is a very underated player his team mates say he makes the game easier for them with all the attributes he brings to the game and from the outside thats what people dont see.

I'm pretty sure many other people feel the same as me. In fact, I've seen loads of people from these boards slate Heskey. It's usually only the minority who stick up for him

The majority of posters on this board are dribbling idiots who think sacking Capello and installing 'Arry would solve all of England's problems.

If you ask any of the coherent, intelligent members of the board about Heskey, they'd more than likely all agree that he was a very good player who's now on the decline and one who deserves respect for what he has been able to bring to any side he has played for.

I cant have seen them and they have not made stipud comments like yourself claiming anyone who rates/sticks up for heskey knows nothing about football.

Personally id go with Capello over you. He seems to think something of him.

Should just go for a new approach to be honest.

GK: Joe Hart

DR: Micah Richards

DC: Ryan Shawcross

DC: Steven Taylor

DL: Keiran Gibbs

DM: Owen Hargreaves

MR: James Milner

ML: Adam Johnson

AM: Ashley Young

FC: Andy Carroll

ST: Gabby Agbonlahor

Not saying we'll win but it's best to get these players bled in quick, Andy Carroll is an unknown at the moment, he'll either end up terrible and boring or quite decent, we could lose him to Scotland so we're best off tying him down as soon as possible. Players of his mould either click or don't.

Putting Owen Hargreaves as the DM keeps an experienced head in there as a cornerstone for the team, best bet for captain aswell.

Sturridge, Rodwell and Wilshire are awesome talents and would fit in the squad but I think it's gotta be a fine balance between youth and experience.

I know alot of people are thinking "That's daft, none of these are ready". We play enough poor teams and fail to dominate as we have big reputation players underperforming, we need some of the young players with something to prove, something to earn. Even if the young approach doesn't work well, bring some of the older players in and go 50/50. It'll then give the older players a reason to play out of their skin, their place in the team.

Not daft, but way to immediate and drastic. Need to make a transition wit hthese friendlies by still playing the flops but less and less often so the youngsters can build up their experience over time.

I cant have seen them and they have not made stipud comments like yourself claiming anyone who rates/sticks up for heskey knows nothing about football.

Personally id go with Capello over you. He seems to think something of him.

yeah, that was wrong. Didn't mean that.

I am sick of Gregg thinking that he's better than everyone else though. Obviously knows a bit of what he's on about, but he doesn't need to put everyone else down and big himself up as a 'coherent and intelligent member of the board'.

Maybe he doesnt (need to put people down although im not saying he was), but when reacting think about it. Because all you have done is make him right. You sound like a deluded geordie when you make comments like that about people who rate heskey.

just because you disagree with an argument doesn't mean the other person is absolutely and categorically wrong though.

I realise I've just contradicted myself here btw, but I did take back that you know nothing

Yep they all no how good they are thats why Capello played Wayne Rooney, even though he was out of form, the pressure had got to him and he performed poorly. Different people re-act differently to pressure and i was commenting on giving them a chance is that not allowed, because there club managers don't play them they must not be good enough?

I'm afraid that argument falls flat on its face with the proof of one Miroslov Klose not good enough to be in the FC Bayern team apparently but yet he is having a fantastic World Cup, he is in with a shout of being the only player EVER to claim the golden boot TWICE and is 1 goal away from = Ronaldos 15 goals in the world cup finals.

To answer your question how do i no about these players its due to the same way most people no about these players through great games like FM and through the media.

And are you telling me that if he did play that team that i said (highly unlikely of course) but say 2 or 3 players where exceptional that wouldnt change public opinion .... the last big public opinion i heard about was who the **** is owen haregreaves in 2006 and correct me if im wrong wasnt he England best player in world cup 2006!?

Dear lord, where to start?

I have no idea what point you are making with your first paragraph. Rooney has performed well in big games before, so it's hardly as simple as him not being able to handle the pressure.

Klose played 38 times last season and scored 6 goals.

Right, so you're judging who should be in the England team based on a computer game. You do realise real life is a little different?

I'm saying 2 or 3 players wouldn't be exceptional because they aren't yet good enough and don't have enough experience of playing competitive football, let alone international football. This isn't "big public opinion" like you claim Hargreaves was. The opinion on Hargreaves was from people who didn't follow his career in Germany and only saw him play for England when he played out of position at right back and right midfield, once he moved to his correct position he excelled. That surprised no-one who had seen him play for Bayern.

We need to blood some players, but we need to blood the right players and we need to do it gradually. Just selecting half decent Premier League players based on the single fact that they're under 25 will not help. What you do in these situations is make sure you give them the best chance possible to succeed, so you play them alongside players with experience and in their normal positions, otherwise it may as well just be an u21 international or a B team match.

---------------------Hart

Johnson--------Terry----Jagelika----------Cole

----------------Milner-----Barry

Lennon------------Gerrard-----------Johnson/Young

-------------------Rooney

No point going all out change, might as well work players in. In the future, Dawson/Shawcross/Cahill in for Terry, Gibbs for Cole, Rodwell for Barry, Wilshere for Gerrard, then perhaps Wickham might develop like suggested and become a decent partner for Rooney, that's more 2014 World Cup though.

I think is more important is getting defence to work well together, and a better midfield pairing. Maybe here particuarly is in need of more new blood instead of continuous Lampard-Gerrard pairings. Its also probably about time that squad of 30 that was intially chosen was actually played more. And have a few new additions.

I think it also doesn't just depend on how good players are for their club- but how well, and willing, and confidently players can play for their national side. You look at Germany, Podolski and Klose both had below-par seasons but come playing for their country- really work well together. It was the same for Baros and Gomes- not fantastic players but performed well for their country. Its why maybe players like Agbonalahor or Ashley Young should be given more of a chance.

I'm thinking of how I should change the 30 man squad I named, most of the names in there have been mentioned by others but I still see Cappello's squad being completely diffrent, not sure how thoguh. he'll probably send out a scouting network to teams in pre-season to decide his squad as the league won't have started yet.

I'm thinking of how I should change the 30 man squad I named, most of the names in there have been mentioned by others but I still see Cappello's squad being completely diffrent, not sure how thoguh. he'll probably send out a scouting network to teams in pre-season to decide his squad as the league won't have started yet.

To be honest, I think he's already got notes from last season. Pre season friendlies will tell him nothing.

Think maybe Fabio or Baldini mentioned him towards the end of last season.

So because maybe someone mentioned him he will be called up? been there are done it with championship strikers, david nugent anyone? (link to capello mentioning him btw ive not read it!)

Carroll has done nothing to show at the moment that he is ahead of most other England choices. A great start to the PL and maybe, but at the moment he hasnt shown anything to say he is worth a England call up in my opinion.

just because you disagree with an argument doesn't mean the other person is absolutely and categorically wrong though.

I realise I've just contradicted myself here btw, but I did take back that you know nothing

The fun of the internet is you cant just say something delete it and then have it not play a part in the next argument.

Between now and forvever it will be used against you ul :thdn:

You'd still play Carragher even though he's AGAIN said he doesn't GAF about England?

If he could be talked into it I still think he's one of the best options we have.

I wish Scholes had come back too tbh, would be better than a lot of the options we have/had on the bench.

I do find it a pity when players turn their backs on clubs/countries, but I wouldn't discount any of them from possible future selection.

When's Becks back to being fit, would pick him ahead of Lennon.

Carragher isn't playing and nor should he. The fact a few players have been mentioned by name by Capello make me think they'll be included, Dawson is one of them, regular for Spurs, King won't feature in anymore squads, that experiment is done.

Zamora is the other so let's hope he starts off as he finished last season. Can hold the ball up well, hard working and has added goals to his game, I think Heskey has been much maligned but always done a good job but I just think he'll be dropping out of the upcoming squads mostly cause his club appearances seem to be dwindling. Were last season but he'd played through qualifiers and did his job well, just think that will change.

None of this Gibbs and stuff going on though, far too soon. I'd hope Rodwell can continue playing more for Everton, become a mainstay of the U21 team (how old is he again?) and maybe have the odd squad call up, qualifying is 2 years so no rush, we have important games in the next 3 or 4 months and there won't be massive changes, it'll be gradual.

I wonder if Ashley Young will start playing well again, hopefully Adam Johnson can develop some more, he was excellent last season, I'd have taken him to the World Cup and had the confidence to put him on the pitch. He's one of our few wingers that actually has a trick to beat a defender standing up in front of him instead of knocking it past someone and scrambling and losing the ball *ahem SWP ahem*

Probably minor changes for the rest, return of Walcott? (based on what so early in the season I don't know), Milner in, Carrick in, Huddlestone and Scott Parker probably in

Did the last few weeks teach you nothing?

Not really, watching England in the World Cup hasn't changed my views or opinions on any players. I'm suprised it's changed so many people's views on here, people calling for a whole starting 11 change etc.

If not for Green's error we would have gone through group stages top with nothing conceeded. I really don't think massive changes (at back especially) are needed, it's just a pity we were down to our 5th choice centreback by the time we got to the best team in the tournament.

If he could be talked into it I still think he's one of the best options we have.

I wish Scholes had come back too tbh, would be better than a lot of the options we have/had on the bench.

I do find it a pity when players turn their backs on clubs/countries, but I wouldn't discount any of them from possible future selection.

When's Becks back to being fit, would pick him ahead of Lennon.

I could name you half a dozen English defenders who are all better than Carragher and all should have been ahead of him come the World Cup squad. It was one of Capello's biggest mistakes.

As for Beckham, I know i've been one of his biggest critics over the years on these forums, but really? He'll be 37 at the next European Championships and 39 for the next World Cup.

The European Championships should be a testing ground for a new look side to go on and towards the 2014 World Cup. That, in my honest opinion should be what a Confederation's championships for the bigger sides should be about. With that in mind, there is absolutely no way on earth that Beckham should be in any future England squads unless they need somebody as a result to a major injury crisis in that position.

Not really, watching England in the World Cup hasn't changed my views or opinions on any players. I'm suprised it's changed so many people's views on here, people calling for a whole starting 11 change etc.

If not for Green's error we would have gone through group stages top with nothing conceeded. I really don't think massive changes (at back especially) are needed, it's just a pity we were down to our 5th choice centreback by the time we got to the best team in the tournament.

I've always thought Carragher was a liability in defence.

I'm assuming you haven't seen much of him. He's got very good touch and technique, is fantastic in the air and he can finish.

Based on the fact that Capello has already marked him out as an England international for the future.

I've seen enough of him to know that i've not been overly impressed with him and that he'll have to go some way to improve particularly over the course of this season against better defenders for me to believe he's anything other than a middle of the road at best footballer.

If he proves me wrong, excellent. Will be nice to see a British Striker with good touch and technique come along again.

Rodwell is potentially excellent, get him used to the international scene along with other promising young players and in a couple of tournaments time they'll be experienced enough at that level to really push on and maybe compete to actually win something. Keeping with the current older players has no upside at all, they won't win anything so why stick with them? If we go to the next 2 tournaments with the same players then all we're doing is wasting time, we'd then have to bring through the younger players who'd then need time to adapt to international football and by then it might be too late.

Best post in the whole thread this is. The only thing that i'd disagree with, not that brett's directly mentioned it, is to play a mix of experience & youth in the qualifiers to make sure we get to the major tournaments, then phase out the older players to give the youngsters a chance to get some experience againt the likes of Spain, Germany, France, Italy etc.

Look at the German national side & players like Ozil, Schweinsteiger, Müller etc., they've had a fantastic World Cup mixed with experienced players such as Klose. Yes, they are all very talented individuals which we perhaps lack at the moment, but there is no reason why players whom are of my age (16/17) cannot advance significantly in this period to the same standard as the German internationals & provide us with an excelent performance at the 2014 WC and beyond.

I'm assuming you haven't seen much of him. He's got very good touch and technique, is fantastic in the air and he can finish.

Based on the fact that Capello has already marked him out as an England international for the future.

Still awaiting the link for that one?

Andy Carroll all that yet still....kinda untested and unproven at PL level. You would expect him to be good in the air, he is a tall player. As for the rest i think you over exaggerate. He really isnt that well rounded yet.

The best thing you guys could do would be to cut all the old players who are on the fringes of the squad. It is absolutely pointless to have any player who is likely to be in their 30s come 2012/2014 and not be a first choice player around the squad. Those places could be used for the youngsters.

It would also be an idea to not remove them completely from the Under 21 scene once they get their call ups. Allow them to play in both, so you'd have maybe 10 players for 5 places (to make the numbers easy) with some being called up for one game while the others stay at u21 and the next game, shuffle the pack a little.

seriously people think about the future lampard, gerrard and rio all will be too old in 2 years time why not start now and replace them giving others big game experience?

.........................................hart..........................................

g.johnson.................dawson................terry................a.cole

.....................................carrick/barry..................................

lennon.................................................................a.johnson

.........................................milner.......................................

...................rooney................................defoe....................

I could name you half a dozen English defenders who are all better than Carragher and all should have been ahead of him come the World Cup squad. It was one of Capello's biggest mistakes.

Given how many players bottle it when it comes to big occasions, I don't think it was a mistake to include an experienced head who can handle that pressure.

I'm not blind enough to think that Carragher isn't way past his best, but against the other options that were available to throw into the world cup squad, I don't think he was a poor choice.

As for Beckham, I know i've been one of his biggest critics over the years on these forums, but really? He'll be 37 at the next European Championships and 39 for the next World Cup.

Would just like him in the next couple of friendlies tbh, fans need to get back behind the team again and Becks raises the crowd more than anyone else.

Picking a whole team of youngsters to get them ready for 4 years time is just going to lead to inevitable disappointment for the next few games as they fail to shine/gel together. Leading to more media doom and gloom and Capello losing his job.

Given how many players bottle it when it comes to big occasions, I don't think it was a mistake to include an experienced head who can handle that pressure.

I'm not blind enough to think that Carragher isn't way past his best, but against the other options that were available to throw into the world cup squad, I don't think he was a poor choice.

Would just like him in the next couple of friendlies tbh, fans need to get back behind the team again and Becks raises the crowd more than anyone else.

Picking a whole team of youngsters to get them ready for 4 years time is just going to lead to inevitable disappointment for the next few games as they fail to shine/gel together. Leading to more media doom and gloom and Capello losing his job.

It's true. Carragher didn't bottle it when it came to the big games, he was just too slow and weak to cope with a guy who couldn't break into Hull's first team last year.

Archived