England vs Hungary August Your Starting 11,

Jayoel

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hopefully but we shouldn't panic if he doesn't end up a holding midfielder or the next Rio Ferdinand which is all you here about him when he's discussed. People are already putting him in their teams in these types of threads as centre back, Moyes himself always mentions it or has mentioned it in the past. I say let's see how things go before writing his future for him, he may end a great attacking midfielder for all we know

absolutely this, that's sort of the point I'm making - iif he's going to be in the England squad it need to be as the box-to-box midfielder he currently is, not the defender he has no experience as or the holding midfielder he's not yet ready to be.

Michael Johnson is back in training and looking slim and fit, just hope he can rebuild his career because i'm convinced if he had 2 years of development rather than 2 years of injuries he'd already be in the England team

He's the most complete footballer i've seen come out of our academy before his injuries. He'd need to go out on loan though

would happily take him at Newcastle. We 'went' for him in Janurary 2009. I'm glad we didn't as he's been ****ed injury/fitness-wise since then. But now, if he can stay fit, he'd do well with us I think

He got injured in training after his comeback, he got a few reserve games and came on in the Carling Cup game against Scunthorpe and scored a cracking a goal before doing so, he was just unlucky and it could have happened to anyone really. That said when yous did want to sign him he was still injured, so don't think he'd have been back and helped you stay up so would have been a waste of money in that regards

It's possibly because Moyes, a central defender, knows what attributes are needed to be a top drawer central defender and sees them in Rodwell.

Absolutely, I can appreciate that but basically what Zaitsev followed up on. You can't hear Rodwell's name with centre back or holding midfielder after it and Managers and coaches shouldn't be putting any kind of expectation on players that are basically still developing into what's best for them.

If he keeps getting forward and scoring those pesky goals let's embrace it not shake our heads and mutter "he'll never make a holding midfielder" :D Over the top but you get what I mean, we're deciding so early what he will be or won't be when we should just let him be ...

Ashley Cole and Glen Johnson were much better than any of those 3 you mentioned. Gerrard and Heskey had one good half and Milner was decent in that Slovakia game but that's it.

• 1 year later...
Hart, Brown/Tomkins, Rio, Terry, A.Cole, Rodwell, Huddlestone, Barry, A. Johnson, Rooney, Delfouneso. Maybe even a few of the younger players, such as a couple of the players from the successful U17s. Moses and Wickham maybe?

Delfouneso? My word

Carroll and Henderson were thought of better before transferring to Liverpool I guess

And just one person mentioned Lescott and got grief for it :D

Parker was always mentioned as the nouveau midfield hound dog

Milner and Young were always there being from the not-so-offensive Aston Villa, aka everyone liked them back then

Everyone wearing their club-tinted glasses

Enrique and Gibbs being talked up as the future of England :D

People are often too quick to rule out young players imo. Welbeck was at one point written off by lots of Man Utd fans as well as others. If things fall into place for a player they can develop rapidly, just because they aren't doing it now it doesn't matter. That can change.

Archived