[FM10] Journeyman Career Game

crouchaldinho

• Replies 385
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Only if you can actually load ALOT of leagues. You're not likely to get any jobs but Indonesian First Division or Malaysian Premier Division at that... Then, depending on your nationality/languages (not sure which of the two it counts) you may get jobs in Colombian Second Division, Swedish Second Division, Norwegian Second Division or Northern Irish Third Division... So as you can probably see, you'd need to have quite a couple of leagues loaded. ;p

Actually, if you use automatic reputation, your reputation will adjust depending on the leagues you load, which means you should be able to get a job without any trouble. But it is definitely worth loading some lower level leagues in there, or at least some lower reputation leagues, where you can start your career.

C.

You could try a British save Scoham? All leagues in England, Scotland, Wales and N.Ireland.

Build up your career with the aim of eventually taking over Charlton. It's always good to have a clear objective and some teams you want to manage when you reach the 'big time'.

C.

That's also the other problem, should I load all the British leagues, or the 'big' European nations, or both. And then how low down should I load them.

Will see what I can come up with. Can handle a good amount of leagues, but no point having leagues I'm never going to manage in loaded.

That's also the other problem, should I load all the British leagues, or the 'big' European nations, or both. And then how low down should I load them.

Will see what I can come up with. Can handle a good amount of leagues, but no point having leagues I'm never going to manage in loaded.

I think that's one of the potential difficulties. Don't ever feel like you have to have a specific league loaded. I always feel like I should load Spain but in reality, I'm not all that interested in managing there, and so there is little point in loading that country into my save.

It's worth loading a couple of small countries in which you might build your career, alongside some medium and large ones, so that you have plenty of opportunity to move around and make choices as to where to work during your career. Wales and the lower leagues of Scotland might be quite good in this respect.

Seeing as you don't get that into managing abroad, you could just load the top divisions of the bigger European countries to give you the choice to move abroad when you've made it as a manager. Then you learn your trade in the lower leagues of England, build up your reputation and then someday perhaps manage a big club in Italy or Spain, for instance.

It's well worth thinking out where you want to go in the save and plotting out your potential career in advance. :thup:

C.

Sounds good Munich1860. What are your plans for FM10?

Well, I've only played one season until now as I have to prepare exams (if only you could get a uni degree without studying :(). I started unemployed as usual, but with amateur reputation this time. I entered in Chilean Primera B (2nd tier) to try to improve the CD Melipilla performance, but I only managed to save them from relegation.

In CM 01-02, I started with Top Oss from Holland, taking them to the Dutch 1st tier, only to be relegated. I moved then to Torpedo Moscow and made it one of the best Russian teams and a regular Uefa Cup contestant. Then I moved to Germany to train Munich 1860 and take them to the final of Uefa Cup, losing 1-0 to Valencia. While I was the coach of Munich 1860 I also managed Northern Ireland (sacked) and then Czech Republic (sacked, too)

Perhaps we could set up a blog site for people to post their journeyman career diaries? Or a thread in the careers forum with links to everyones posts

----------------------------------------------

I'm actually wanting to start a journeyman career with as many leagues possible loaded...

I almost always go journeyman :-)

Currently (stil on FM 08) I'm on a save where I started unemployed, got a job at Holbæk in the Danish 2. div. East, got them promoted twice into the Danish Premier Div., and then resigned halfway through the season realising the relegation was practically unavoidable.

Moved on to China where I took charge of Anhui who was newly promoted to 1. div. A, but couldnt keep them up either, so resigned.

Stayed in China for the Changchun job, first season dissapinting 10th place, second season 2nd place and cup final (coming up).

I am also managing the Saudi Arabia NT having just took over; previousli I managed the DR Congo NT without any real succes though.

I've had a few games similar to this in my time, my longest running was slightly differn't to the "Hodgson" style game and more like a "Rikaard" style.

Back on FM 07 I started a game as England manager, with a long term plan of winning a World Cup with the likes of Wallcott, Luke Moore (remember him!), Jack Hobbs etc. I played through the first 3 seasons with reasonable success, only losing a handful of games Euro Championship final, World cup Semi's and a Conferates Cup all to my name. I decided to expand my tasks by taking on a clube role in addition but couldn't lad a decent job anywhere. No Prem team would have me and even upper championship teams (Namely Sunderland) had no time for my ability.

In the end I landed a job with a struggling Wolves, they were in the bottom 8 of the Championship having splashed big cash on many a flop. I had little money to spend, the player's they had brought in were pretty poor and I couldn't re-coup half the money spent AND just half the season to turn things around. I immediately hit the free transfer market and brought in Sol Cambell, Mista, Denilson (the £23m flop of Betis fame) and Anthony Gardener from Spurs for £250k. I not only turned them round but had them promoted to the Prem via a 4th place play-off spot.

In the Prem I landed them a UEFA cup (remember that?) place. I upset the Apple cart by applying for the vacant Spurs job (Which they turned me down for) and knew my time was nearing an end with the Wanderer's. When out of nowhere European Champion's Man Utd offered me the vacancy left by Fergie's retirement, I think this must have been to do with selecting United as my favorite club. At United I made some wholesale changes, bringing in the elite of European youth, setting up a great future for United. I finished 2nd behind Liverpool and won them another Champion's league, but faultered at the beginning of my next season. Although most of my result's were good I seemed to struggle against the rest of the "big 4", so rather than seeing my beloved United perform below par under my stewardship I quit.

I was still England manager and had an impressive reputation, so was offered the Porto job within weeks of leaving United, I accepted but looked at their team in depth and was stumped. I couldn't see where I could improve the team and didn't have the funds to bring in a "big name". So I did a bit of a Clough job and quit, after 14 days in charge.

This Suprisingly didn't damage my reputation, I then applied for a more challenging role. Mantova, just promoted to Serie A, predicted to finish bottom and nowt to spend. Again I got to work on the freebies, bringing in the likes of Van Nistleroy, Carew, Gavin McCann and a bunch of young talent released by United's new manager (fool!). A 6th placed finish and win's over all the teams above me was the reward I was looking for. Next season I had a decent run in the Uefa cup and another top 6 finish. Then I was offered the Liverpool role, despite being a United fan I took the job (mainly because I wanted to pick their English players in friendly's and had been blocked due to playing them for more than 45 minutes). I won Champions league and 3rd in the league in my first season. Made the final in my 2nd but still dind't crack the league.

However I did win the World cup! I left it at that point, got distracted by other games. I still have it loaded on my old laptop though, maybe I'll return one day...

Actually, if you use automatic reputation, your reputation will adjust depending on the leagues you load, which means you should be able to get a job without any trouble. But it is definitely worth loading some lower level leagues in there, or at least some lower reputation leagues, where you can start your career.

C.

He did however say "lowest rep possible", which means Sunday League Footballer, not "Automatic Rep".

Im started a journeyman career for first time because i had a long game save with man u on fm 08 and its all the same now so i started unemployed got a job at Bath City they were in relegation zone when i joined and ive moved them up to 14th atm but only been in charge 2 months. Hopefully i can get far on the game its quite fun and something different probably wasnt best to start a journyman career in my first year at uni though :)

He did however say "lowest rep possible", which means Sunday League Footballer, not "Automatic Rep".

Not wishing to correct you but actually Automatic rep (or at least, the non-bugged version!) might actually be lower than the Sunday League option, depending on the leagues loaded. It is also inaccurate to say that you need a lot of leagues loaded if you want to use Sunday League (or the lowest reputation) because you only need one league where the lowest level of that league has a suitable low reputation. Finally, I believe that the game won't allow you to select Sunday League footballer (it becomes a greyed out option) if you have loaded leagues which are unsuitable for such a low reputation value.

Regards,

C.

I was going to try to stay at one club the whole time but I got sacked, so forget them. Instead I started another game with a lot of leagues where I plan to hop around a bit, starting at Heviz (I think that's the name) in Hungary's second division.

Also, I don't know if anyone said this yet or not, but when loading a lot of leagues it helps to have the detail levels set to minimum for everything. I forget what you lose doing that, but whatever it is I'm not missing it and it goes a LOT faster.

Hehe. I just left Bogotá, things were going down the drain, ended last in the First Phase Table. :p

I brought Bogotá up from Second Division with a squad which wouldn't make it according to media, and I was given absolutely no cash to strengthen the squad for First Division... Started above expectations, picked 17 points in first 10 games, then my tactic was somewhat well-thumbed and my players simply wasn't good enough... I brought them up, wasn't planning on following them down!

After a short spell of unemployment which included expressing interest for around 200 jobs in total, where teams like Stranraer, Drogheda Utd, Distillery, Danubio and Bohemians Prague considered me, I got a job in Arema Malang in the Indonesian Super League. Interesting challenge! Also got elected manager of Cook Islands, took the job mainly to learn english though... ;)

I don't understand the logic of starting Unemployed with Automatic Reputation (=set the reputation tobe appropriate for the club you are managing), seems a bit contradictory!

Automatic reputation is supposed to set your reputation to the lowest value that will still allow you to gain employment within the leagues you have loaded (i.e. when you start unemployed).

I've always used automatic reputation when starting my journeyman game.

C.

I always start these games usually in South America but I can never usually seem to get out of the Brazilian Third Division. The best I've done is manage to go from Brazilian Serie C to the Chilean Primera Division but I was unable to break in amongst the top 5 sides and ended up going back to the Brazilian Third Division.

I think it is considerably harder if you start at a country which is your nationality.

I always start these games usually in South America but I can never usually seem to get out of the Brazilian Third Division. The best I've done is manage to go from Brazilian Serie C to the Chilean Primera Division but I was unable to break in amongst the top 5 sides and ended up going back to the Brazilian Third Division.

I think it is considerably harder if you start at a country which is your nationality.

Do you mean which isn't your nationality? :confused:

I started a quick Journeyman game (contradiction in terms?) after my hard drive crashed and before FM10 was released. In my mind, it's the only way to play the game.

I brought Dorchester up from BSS into BSP, won a cup, almost got promoted into League Two. Then I resigned after my fourth season, when FM10 was released, just to see what would happen. FM09 was my first time playing, so a lot of this is new to me.

Anyway, I couldn't find work in BSP, nor in BSS or BSN with a recently relegated team. I eventually wound up in Italy with a slight salary cut, but a much better team.

Question for everyone: After reading this thread, I'm tempted to start a rather bare-bones game -- England, U.S., and France -- so as not to run too slowly in later seasons if I play one game all year long. But will that significantly hamper my ability to find work if I can't negotiate an honest raise with any given club?

Brazilian Third Division is the most impossible league in the game to promote from... 189 teams and 3 promotion places. I always decline jobs there...

And I can't have my own nationality, then I get employment in Swedish 2nd Division straight away, and that's about the easiest league you can manage except of Belgian 3rd Division. :p

Automatic reputation is supposed to set your reputation to the lowest value that will still allow you to gain employment within the leagues you have loaded (i.e. when you start unemployed).

I've always used automatic reputation when starting my journeyman game.

C.

I'm sure I've read somewhere that it isn't the case this year, automatic seems to give you a much better reputation than sunday league footballer.

currently in a journeyman save.

started as manager of trindad and tobago, got them to the world cup qualifying playoffs against uruguay and lost on 5-3 on aggregate.

Joined santa clara in portugese 2nd div for the last 2 months of the season, got relegated lol. Sacked cause i didn't have the league below loaded. Hired by Tours FC who had just gotten relegated to french national.

Managed to get tours fc promoted by securing a 2nd place finish. Also got hired by boznia and herz, took them to the euros where i was drawn in a group with spain, germany, and belgium. . .lost all 3 games. Offered the job at PSV and left tours fc to take it...that's where i am now. Think i may be a PSV a while, definitely till i win a couple trophies.

I did it in 09, was the best fun, most enjoyable save I've done. Started as reputation "professional footballer" as I thought that would be the most realistic for league football, wasn't too bothered about non league, thought I'd get something in League 2, but started unemployed and got offered the Blackpool job who were predicted to finish 24th in the Championship. Took them to 15th in the first year, and was in 5th around Christmas in the second year where I jumped ship to West Ham who had been relegated in the first season.

Got promoted with West Ham that season, then stayed with them for 4 years or so, dabbling around the relegation places, when Inter Milan offered me a job with £150m transfer budget, moved there and was there for ages, they gave me £150m every year and I built some super amazing squad and it got boring, so I moved to Arsenal when the chance came up and rebuilt them as they were down to 6th-7th after Wenger left.

When I'm done with my customary Arsenal save, I'll do one in FM2010.

It felt a bit too easy to get the Inter job however, so next time I'll start with a lower reputation, although I don't really think a part time or Sunday league footballer would ever get a manager job at a league club, but whatever.

I'm sure I've read somewhere that it isn't the case this year, automatic seems to give you a much better reputation than sunday league footballer.

I was under the impression that this was an unintended bug.

Any idea where you read this Dafuge? A link would be great if you happen to be know of one?

Does this mean Sunday League is now the best option for starting with? I don't understand why they have changed it as the old system worked perfectly. :confused:

What setting are you using for your challenge?

Regards,

C.

It felt a bit too easy to get the Inter job however, so next time I'll start with a lower reputation, although I don't really think a part time or Sunday league footballer would ever get a manager job at a league club, but whatever.

It's really just the wording SI chose to use. Sunday League just gives you the lowest possible reputation, meaning you have to start in the Blue Square N/S leagues in England, or lower tiers in countries like Northern Ireland, Sweden etc.

I had an interesting journeyman career in last years FM where I as usual started off at Celtic and after 6 league titles in a row and a couple of Scottish cup and league cup wins I got the job at Zaragoza. I did okay in Spain but not particularly outstanding, but my achievements with Celtic and steady progress with Zaragoza hadn't gone unnoticed by the AC Milan board and they offered me the managers job with them less than a season into my first season at Zaragoza. I couldn't resist the temptation to manage one of the giants of Europe and took the job without a second thought. At Milan I found myself getting very large transfer budgets every season and in no time I'd built a team that went on to win back to back CL trophies and every domestic honour available several times, then I got offered the Man Utd job and having achieved everything possible with Milan decided to seek a new challenge in the EPL. This chapter in my career proved my only failure in management on that save and I ended up sacked in January of my second season with Man Utd outside of the top four positions and very out of form. My career then took a very surprising turn when after only a few days unemployed I was approached to take over at Man City, which (with the financial backing that i knew would be available to me as their manager) was an offer I couldn't refuse. I didn't get far into my career with them when I got distracted with another save I had going at the same time and haven't managed to get back to it. But I still have FM09 and the save game on my pc and will probably get back to it at some point, if only to see if I can topple my old Milan team as the dominant force in Europe.

Isn't this what automatic used to do? :confused:

Sort of - Automatic gave you the reputation to manage at the LOWEST level of selected league. For example, if you started with England, Spain and Italy as countries and only the top leagues active, then your 'automatic reputation' would be the equivilant of selecting professional footballer or former international. However, if you included Scotland down to division 3, then your reputation would be equvilant to semi-pro or Sunday League.

I like your system of playing but I just don't have the patience for it. My favourite ever game (and most time spent on it) was an FM07 save that started with international rep at Liverpool, saw me sacked and taking the vacant Ipswich job then building them into a solid Premier League side. Having not really enjoyed FM08 or FM09 - because of that Ipswich sve - I'm trying to repeat that 'success' at Man City. If I get into FM10, then maybe by version 10.2 or 10.3 I'll give the Journeyman career game a go...

On FM 09 I had a brilliant journeyman game in south/central America, started off in peru, cant remember the name of the team and after looking on wiki's list of peruvian footy teams still none the wiser! they were pretty awful and i spent a few seasons sitting in mid table with them before resigning in frustration as I didnt feel I could take them any further. then moved onto Chile where I managed Colo Colo for a few years winning a couple of titles and making the quarter final of Copa Sud America. Brazil was my next call with Flamengo, won the regional and national title before moving onto Tigres in Mexico where I had a lot of success with a team of almost all under 21's! as well as a number of league titles and domestic cups, also won copa sud america, the north american champions league (not difficult since the only real competition is your fellow mexican teams! but had fun thrashing some of the rubbish sides in the comp!) and club world championship (beating man utd in the final, bit lucky if truth be told!). Mexico is a great league as you get to compete in both north and south american tournaments! then a short stint at Banfield in Argentina where I didnt win anything in a couple of seasons before going back to brazil with santos but didnt play many games with them before not bothering with the game anymore. I was running the top divisions in Mexico, Brazil, Colombia, Uruguay, Chile and Peru. Have upgraded the memory in my computer now so if I did that again would run the lower leagues in those countries, might have another crack at that.

As always with a new FM game, currently managing my real life club Cambridge United, where I'm establishing them as a championship club. probably wont be too long before I think I've taken them as far as I can go and then plan a european journeyman game - loading 8-10 leagues in europe (might try 12 and see how it runs) - england, scotland, france, italy, portugal, holland, germany, spain plus maybe some smaller ones such as austria, switzerland, belgium and either a scandanavian or eastern european league.

incidently tech heads i have 2GB of ram and a 2.3 GHZ processor - how many leagues with that set up could i realistically run without slowing down too much? i usually go for a small database of players.

I think some people don't understand the journeyman concept...

A Journeyman career is where you start at the bottom and attempt to claw your way to the top by making a reputation for yourself. Starting out at a big club isn't what is classed as a journeyman career... sorry to be pedantic! I just thought id explain the difference.

On FM 09 I had a brilliant journeyman game in south/central America, started off in peru, cant remember the name of the team and after looking on wiki's list of peruvian footy teams still none the wiser! they were pretty awful and i spent a few seasons sitting in mid table with them before resigning in frustration as I didnt feel I could take them any further. then moved onto Chile where I managed Colo Colo for a few years winning a couple of titles and making the quarter final of Copa Sud America. Brazil was my next call with Flamengo, won the regional and national title before moving onto Tigres in Mexico where I had a lot of success with a team of almost all under 21's! as well as a number of league titles and domestic cups, also won copa sud america, the north american champions league (not difficult since the only real competition is your fellow mexican teams! but had fun thrashing some of the rubbish sides in the comp!) and club world championship (beating man utd in the final, bit lucky if truth be told!). Mexico is a great league as you get to compete in both north and south american tournaments! then a short stint at Banfield in Argentina where I didnt win anything in a couple of seasons before going back to brazil with santos but didnt play many games with them before not bothering with the game anymore. I was running the top divisions in Mexico, Brazil, Colombia, Uruguay, Chile and Peru. Have upgraded the memory in my computer now so if I did that again would run the lower leagues in those countries, might have another crack at that.

Yep I agree with you... playing in North, Central or South America is always fun... never a dull moment as I've found lol! I'd recommend downloading Aljarovs North American update where he has added lowers leagues to the USA & the CSL in Canada.

Yep I agree with you... playing in North, Central or South America is always fun... never a dull moment as I've found lol! I'd recommend downloading Aljarovs North American update where he has added lowers leagues to the USA & the CSL in Canada.

the rules are a bit crazy as well! very enjoyable, yes see what your saying about journeyman rules, i normally dont load too many lower leagues due to my pc but as i wrote before have upgraded it now. that peruvian team i managed were pretty rubbish and were expected to finish bottom of the league so i did quite well to get them mid table, admittedly in a league of 12 teams :)

Ive never done a journeyman save normally just stick with one club and make them unreal, but to be honest it gets quite boring after a few seasons. I think i'll give a journeyman career a go and see what its like.

Quick question do you guys, who always do the journeyman thing, apply for any jobs or just wait to be offered them then jump ship???

I was under the impression that this was an unintended bug.

Any idea where you read this Dafuge? A link would be great if you happen to be know of one?

Does this mean Sunday League is now the best option for starting with? I don't understand why they have changed it as the old system worked perfectly. :confused:

What setting are you using for your challenge?

Regards,

C.

Here was where I read it. We switched to sunday league footballer for my challenge a while ago when we realised that automatic didn't always give you the lowest starting reputation.

Isn't this what automatic used to do? :confused:

Well automatic adjusts depending on the leagues you load, though some of the options aren't available if you don't load enough lower divisions anyway. So not really sure why automatic is needed.

That's what Sunday League Football does though, just gives you a very low reputation.

Here was where I read it. We switched to sunday league footballer for my challenge a while ago when we realised that automatic didn't always give you the lowest starting reputation.

I remember something about that, weren't people who were around 45 or above getting a higher reputation when using automatic? And everyone younger got a low reputation similar/same as Sunday League?

Having failed miserably twice with dafuges challenge thiss year I think I will boot up a journeyman game. I'll probably stick to covering 2 continents with Europe and Asia, mainly so I have the option of heading back to my home league in Australia if I feel like it.

Just loaded up leagues in england, scotland, wales, spain, italy, germany, turkey, portugal and greece :)

Now am just thinking who to be should be fun :)

i find its best to apply and declare interest in all jobs and then choose who oyu want, for me a journeyman game is better when you start unemployed.

I loaded all leagues from, england, spain, italy, scotland, wales, sweden, bulgaria, argentina, brazil, denmark, czech, ukrain.

Took the job at litex in Bulgaria, only played 4 friendlies but 4 wins, 18 for 0 against, im sure it wont last long...

i find its best to apply and declare interest in all jobs and then choose who oyu want, for me a journeyman game is better when you start unemployed.

I loaded all leagues from, england, spain, italy, scotland, wales, sweden, bulgaria, argentina, brazil, denmark, czech, ukrain.

Took the job at litex in Bulgaria, only played 4 friendlies but 4 wins, 18 for 0 against, im sure it wont last long...

Just out of curiosity what reputation did you select, since theres alot of discussion on what is best reputation to start with. Might start this tomorrow :)

i started with automatic. It all depends on what yur looking for. If you want bigger clubs you set it high, when i stated there were la liga and prem teams that i could declare interest in but they said no due to my experiance, if i was international footballer i may have had a shot.

it will be more challenging at auto as you can really only get a job with a small rep club

Archived