[RELEASED] FM2009 Sound Pack V1.0

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you for all your comments, it's good to know you're enjoying the sound pack. :)

To the mac users, I'm afraid having never used one, I know nothing about them, and have no idea how to get the sounds working on your machines. Sorry. :(

I think I have to wait for some of the sounds to kick in cause it sounds the same for me and no special chants :(

They should work immediately, as long as they extracted correctly, you have them in the right place, and you have followed the instructions regarding sounds in the preference menu.

If you've followed all the instructions in the opening post, and it's still not working, please try my advice in post #40 above.

Let me know how it goes.

Are there any other download links, filefront doesn't work for me

I'll look at an alternative additional file host site as soon as I have some time. Ideally, I'll have fixed the celebrations as soon as possible, but it's still my all consuming focus at present; I want Version 2 ready as soon as possible, and will upload it to a couple of different hosts for you when ready.

Any preference as to which one?

I have done what you said and then went back and started the second half of my match and the sound was there so thanks.

Although the other team and I have both done quite a lot of subs and there has been no announcement should there be?

I am glad it is working for you now.

Ideally, the announcements should play every time, but unfortunately the game does not always pick them up. It's something I'm looking at in testing, to see if I can increase the level. Can't promise though, just doing my best within the limits I have to work with.

I do find it works more often than not though.

To finish with an update, some slow progression has been made on the celebrations. They seem to be playing more often, but still not every time.

Which is still frustrating the hell out of me, lol. :D

I'll check in tomorrow and see how you're all getting on.

I have been using this pack and I am undecided if the experience is truly what I want.

A lot of the actual on field sounds are no longer there. There is a lack of sound when the ball is truck (ie the thumping sound).

There is also less crowd involvment when a player is advancing into the final third.

I like the added chants, thats the best part, but it really isn't worth losing a lot of the atmospheric sounds.

The match sounds were decent in 09, it just needed to be sparked with some life - with added chants.

If you can add back the sounds to the balls being struck and the sense that the crowd is almost standing (ohh ahhing) at an advancing run, then this patch will be fantastic. Lucky for you, those sounds were already in the original patch, so you just need to put them back. :p

Good attempt though, but needs refining.

Hi Bennico, just wondering before I download this, have you taken into account the lower-league experience? Or will my 894-attendance match sound like a big day at Wembley with the volume down, as the current SI soundscape does?

For some random reason i have grown accustomed to playing FM with no sound. Probably as I'm always watching fam guy etc on other monitor. Might download and give a go though.

Do you also go and watch your favorite football team while listening to Terry Wogan on your pocket radio?

..lol anyway great work bennico i spent about half an hour flicking through the new audio files, i lold at the "referees a w****r" chant.!

Already i cant wait for an updated patch :)

Edit: Geez i really need to learn how to use the tools when posting in this forum!!! :/

2hrs!!! I know my internet is slow but this is bad! But by the comments, will be worth it. You seem to have put a lot of time in so I thank you in advance for this. Just hope that I get to try it tonight...:confused:

Good evening. :)

Sorry haven't had time to check in 'til now, it's been a busy day for me.

Thank you all for your comments. I'm short on time tonight and don't have time to reply to all, but I appreciate the thanks and am glad you're benefitting from the hours I've put into this. I would have done it for just myself anyway, but to be able to share the work so others also may enjoy it, is a good feeling.

Bennico, how are you watching the match? Are you watching the full match?

Indeed. I play every match on full mode.

I have been using this pack and I am undecided if the experience is truly what I want.

A lot of the actual on field sounds are no longer there. There is a lack of sound when the ball is truck (ie the thumping sound).

There is also less crowd involvment when a player is advancing into the final third.

I like the added chants, thats the best part, but it really isn't worth losing a lot of the atmospheric sounds.

The match sounds were decent in 09, it just needed to be sparked with some life - with added chants.

If you can add back the sounds to the balls being struck and the sense that the crowd is almost standing (ohh ahhing) at an advancing run, then this patch will be fantastic. Lucky for you, those sounds were already in the original patch, so you just need to put them back.

Good attempt though, but needs refining.

Thank you for your feedback Ezequiel, it is appreciated.

On the first point, I have not actually personally removed any of the on field sounds. It is most likely that the extra volume of the additional sounds plays over the top of them. Though when I'm watching my local teams (Southampton and Bournemouth), I find that I can rarely hear the sound of the the ball above the crowd I'm in amongst. Whilst it would be good to still hear such sounds in the game, I feel for me personally that it's a small sacrifice for the extra enjoyment I get from what I've added.

On your points regarding the attacking build up, I felt I had actually added an extra dimension to this area. I certainly find (for me at least) that I get at least as much attacking 'anticipation' crowd noise as before, and I personally find the sounds I've chosen to be more realistic than what was already in the game.

I have however taken your thoughts into consideration, and have added a couple more options for the game to select in the early stages of the build ups. It will be in Version 2 of the Pack. :)

Thank you for offering your thoughts on improvements Ezequiel.

is it just me or i dont notice much of a differnce!

How are you watching your games bluemoon? If not on full mode, you will miss most of what has been added. I believe you still hear some of the sounds on extended highlights, but to take advantage of the full range, you'd need to play in full match mode. If you're playing in full mode, and still not hearing a whole host of additions and changes to the previous sounds, then I would hazard a guess that maybe something has gone awry on your installation of the pack.

and can i ask what did you code in to make these files?

I just used the existing code, and manipulated it to conform to the new wave files I've added.

Hi Bennico, just wondering before I download this, have you taken into account the lower-league experience? Or will my 894-attendance match sound like a big day at Wembley with the volume down, as the current SI soundscape does?

Lol, there's not much I can do about that I'm afraid. I'm pretty much a rank amateur at this. :D

Just trying my best at making what improvements I can, with my limited knowledge, in the absence of the usual sound pack makers.

But yes, the volume will decrease proportionately in the same way as it does for you now before you install the sound pack, as I have no idea how to edit that side of the in game sound. If someone knows though, and would like to tell me, that would be great. I'd love to turn up the volume of the travelling fans slightly.

great work bennico i spent about half an hour flicking through the new audio files, i lold at the "referees a w****r" chant.!

Already i cant wait for an updated patch

Thank you. As for Version 2, I am very confident now, that you will not have much longer to wait. Improvements to the selection ratio on the celebrations are coming along very well, it would appear. I will stop short of saying I've cracked it, but it is definitely coming closer. In fact, of the last five goals scored in testing, in four of them, the celebrations worked.

In the other 'one', it still worked, but came in about 10 seconds too late, lol.

My last league game of the season is next up, at home to Notts County. If it all works in that came, then Version 2 Will be released. :)

The sound isn't working for me, not even the original SI sounds!

Any help guys?

My volume is up, 'play sounds' is ticked, in-game volume is 100.

Edit: I just plugged my headphone in and the sound worked for about 10 seconds then went off!!

Sounds like it could be an extraction issue.

Try following my advice on post #40 in this topic. I Hope that helps you out.

Have to go out now for a while, will look in later.

Good evening, and thank you all for the latest feedback, comments and thanks.

It is very much appreciated to hear your experiences and suggestions etc, and to know you're enjoying the pack. :)

Thanks for this mod Bennico!

Works like a charm for me.

About the no celebration sound for some goals, if I'm correct this also happens in the original patched version.

It's interesting you mention that, as I seemed to recall on occasions not hearing a celebration. But I think I just put it down to the generally poor sound quality at the time.

That could indeed add a different inflection on why I cannot get the celebrations to work all the time, if that is in actual fact the case. I'd be interested to hear from others on their experiences of this. Did you all get 100% success rates on the game playing celebrations before the sound pack?

Because I've tried everything I can think of, and still am not getting 100% results in my testing. :(

Benn, just as a quick question, why do most of the sounds only play in Full Match Mode. I play on Key Highlights for speed and i don't see why we should be deprived of the great sounds that you have added in

That is a question I cannot give a complete answer to I'm afraid Hamilton. It is the way the game works, and nothing to do with the way I've made the pack. But when you think of it logically, if you were to sit down and watch Match of The Day, you have the main games with Extended Highlights, and then the round ups with just the key highlights, and the more of the game you see, the more of the crowd you hear. So if you actually went to watch a 'Full Match' live, you'd naturally get to hear the full range of your team's vocal armoury. ;)

So whilst it may be disappointing to not hear as many crowd sounds on Key Highlights, I suppose it is at least realistic.

Any news on the release for Version 2?

Last night Colorado, I was very confident. Unfortunately, after 3 test games achieving a roughly 90% success rate, on my last game of the season, that rate dropped to under 50% again; and I had changed nothing whatsoever. :confused:

I am beginning to think that this could be a fault in the game, rather than my coding. After working on and repairing something michaelmurray spotted, I just cannot see anything wrong now with my code, and don't know why the celebrations fail on occasions, whereas everything else works fine, all of the time.

I will keep trying for now, and then save a separate copy of the most successful code in testing. It may be that Version 2 has to be released as just the best it can be, rather than, as I would dearly like, a complete work with that elusive 100% success rate on the celebrations.

I just keep getting a crash

Hi Peter, that is a shame to hear. I thought it was working ok for you now?

Unfortunately, being an amateur at this and just doing what I can, I really don't know why that happens for you. All I can say is that I have never had a crash, and it seems that it works fine for the vast majority, so I can only think it must be something wrong at your end. Have you tried my advice in post #40?

I'm around for a few more minutes, then out for the night.

Kind Regards,

Benn.

Ok, so finally, here it is. Version 1 of the first Sound Pack for FM2009. :)

For those encountering this for the first time, you may wish to review the following topic, for how this Sound project came about, and the various tips etc that came to light during the discussion:

Matchday Sound: (Would appreciate comment from SI/Sega please)

So, about this Sound Pack (quoting from a summary of mine in the above topic):

When I began working on this, I couldn't have dreamed it would sound so different, with so many improvements. There are now many changes, in almost all areas of the matchday sound; with a new and improved 'background loop' (the sounds that play constantly in the background during the game), lots of chants added, along with drums, foghorns, and all-round improvements in the quality of the crowd's reactions to onfield events. Applause, booing, jeering, (general hostility to the opposition ;) ), cheers, encouragement, appreciation etc; all of these areas have been worked upon, and in my personal opinion, offer a vastly improved sound experience.

There is, unfortunately, one relatively important known issue, which I am working to resolve as fast as possible. Namely, that sometimes, the all important 'Goal Celebrations' do not always play when they are supposed to.

I held back from releasing this pack for a while, as I am not really happy to be releasing a work that is still not yet completely finished. But I know that many are looking forward to it, and as it is only that one area which is not fully functional, the rest of the Pack makes a huge difference to my enjoyment of the game, so I decided to release Version 1 as it is, so as you may begin enjoying it too.

Version 2 will be released as soon as I have resolved the issue with the Goal Celebrations.

That could be tomorrow, a week, two weeks....

I really just don't know at this moment in time.

But rest assured, that as soon as I figure out what is wrong, and make the necessary changes, Version 2 will be on it's way to you.

IMPORTANT INFO:

When downloading this Sound Pack, please firstly, before all else, ensure that you make back-up copies of your original Sound and Match Events folders located at:

C:\Program Files\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2009\data

(please note, that if you downloaded the game via 'Steam', the data folder will appear in your Steam folder)

DIRECTIONS:

Having made your back up (and stored it outside of the main 'Football Manager 09' folder), click on the following Download Link, and download the Sound Pack:

FM2009 Sound Pack V1.0

When it's finished downloading, you will need to 'unrar' the rar file containing the Sound Pack (using a programme such as winrar). Please read the 'Readme' file inside for further instructions, and then extract the two folders in this rar ('Sounds' and 'Match Events') to the following location:

C:\Program Files\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2009\data

(remember that the data folder will be in your Steam folder if you downloaded the game by that method)

Select to "overwrite" existing folders when prompted, (clicking "yes to all").

That's it, all done. :thup:

Upon loading the game, enter the "Preferences" menu, navigate to "Display and Sound" and ensure that you have the option "play all sounds" selected.

The game should now be set to play your new sounds.

As I've said before, I'm disappointed that the celebrations issue prevents the Pack from being the fully finished article, but I don't want to withold it from you any longer.

If you have any questions, comments, suggestions, advice etc, I am happy to hear them in this topic.

I hope that you find this Sound Pack to be an enjoyable addition to your Matchday experience. :)

Kind Regards,

Benn.

Great work Im sure but I really wish SI would do something similar at source! (copywrited items excluded of course). I dont like backing up files and using win rar etc as I dont understand them fully. OK, I am not at the cutting edge of IT experience! but I just want to play the game without risking corrupting vital game files.

Its time SI went that extra distance for us loyal customers.

PS Love FM09 even with its integral half-a$$ed sounds package!

Grabbing, thanks a lot for this :)

P.S. I thought Filefront had died a while back, was that some sort of April Fool or what?

Filefront was going to shut down but then the original owners bought it back and kept it going.

Anyway Benn this works a treat for me thanks dude

Bennico, first of all thanks so much for your efforts. They are greatly appreciated. Just a question about your procedure in post #40. You mentioned the "match events" and "sounds" folders.

Do you mean:

Programme files/steam/steam apps/common/fm2009/data/match events (or sounds)

Or do you mean

Programme files/steam/steam apps/common/fm2009/data/sounds/default/FM2009soundpack v1/match events (or sounds)

Dont want to do the wrong one!

Good afternoon, just a flying visit before work.

Bennico, first of all thanks so much for your efforts. They are greatly appreciated. Just a question about your procedure in post #40. You mentioned the "match events" and "sounds" folders.

Do you mean:

Programme files/steam/steam apps/common/fm2009/data/match events (or sounds)

Or do you mean

Programme files/steam/steam apps/common/fm2009/data/sounds/default/FM2009soundpack v1/match events (or sounds)

Dont want to do the wrong one!

You are welcome.

Hmm, well firstly, that seems to highlight your issue, in that you have two lots of folders there, which will be confusing the game.

Firstly, Do Not forget to ensure you make back up copies of the original 'Sounds' and 'Match Events' folders in Programme files/steam/steam apps/common/fm2009/data and save them somewhere outside of the FM2009 folder.

Now, 'cut and paste' the 'FM2009soundpack v1.0' folder out of your steam folder, and put it somewhere neutral, like 'shared documents'. Be sure to cut/paste, not copy/paste. You want that folder out of your FM2009 folder to start with.

Now, go into the 'FM2009 soundpack v1.0 ' folder, hold down ctrl, and left click both the Match Events and Sounds folders to highlight them, and then right click and select copy.

Then go into: Programme files/steam/steam apps/common/fm2009/data

and then right click and paste.

When asked to overwrite existing folders and files, click "yes to all". (After you've made the back ups first. ;) )

That will replace all the old files with the new sound and config files.

That should hopefully resolve your issues. :thup:

Just some links Bennico so that you can see how much your work is appreciated by people who don't frequent the SI forums :)

http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/f55/bennicos-soundpack-t14993.html#post104873

http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/downloads.php?do=file&id=813

Thank you for the links Zebedee. :)

Sounds good, I only play on key highlights but might give a full match a go to sample the full range of sounds. Particularly impressed with one match I just played. 2-0 up against Lyon in the Champion's League and managed to throw it away to 2-2. All of a sudden I can hear a distant chant of "You're not singing any more!". Even better, was the stunned silence of the home fans as we grab a completely undeserved 94th minute winner!

Good evening. Thank you for your latest comments, it is appreciated, and good to know you're enjoying the sounds.

Fantastic. Works great! Thanks so much for your patience!

You're welcome, glad I could help you get it working.

bennico me again and again asking about the coding you said you just changed the codes but where did you get the sound effects from like the songs etc?

did you use anything like VB to design it?

cheers mate

A bit of a mixture really. Some from old packs, some from reloading my old Champ Manager games and taking some files from there, others I created new wave files, and others still, I mixed existing ones to combine many sounds into single files to play at the same time (using an audio editing program called Audacity).

Sounds good, I only play on key highlights but might give a full match a go to sample the full range of sounds. Particularly impressed with one match I just played. 2-0 up against Lyon in the Champion's League and managed to throw it away to 2-2. All of a sudden I can hear a distant chant of "You're not singing any more!". Even better, was the stunned silence of the home fans as we grab a completely undeserved 94th minute winner!

Lol, if only the "stunned silence" was by design. ;)

Truth be known, it is really annoying me now. :(

On the whole, I'm really enjoying what I've done, but those damned celebrations, I just still seem unable to get that elusive 100% success rate. As was alluded to in an earlier post, the most frustrating aspect, is that I can see nothing wrong with my code, and whatever I try, has so far not been completely successful, which leads me to believe that (as was suggested by 'RSCA4Ever') it could be an actual fault in the game, rather than my code.

If that is the case, it is even more disappointing, as it means there is nothing I can do about it.

Benn,

Your sound mod is excellent and I am anxiously waiting the next version. Your hard work was time well spent.

Thank you. I am glad you are enjoying it.

As for the next version, I am still uncertain as to when this will be. For now, I'm focussing my time and attention to refining the game's selection process, to get the highest success rate possible for the celebrations playing at the right time. I've changed a lot in my experiments, but as soon as I next encounter a combination that gives me around 75% or more, I'll save that as a potential version 2. As I indicate above, it is seeming more and more, like this is a game fault, and one I can possibly never rectify completely to my satisfaction, so it looks like we may well have to settle for 'as close as possible', rather than my preference, namely, 'perfection'. ;)

Unfortunately, the testing process is entering a temporary slowdown at the moment, as both my Southampton and Bournemouth saves are in pre-season, which hampers my range of testing. Coupled with that, it is now half term holidays here, and I'll be going away to my Mum's for a few days with my family. I'll still check in here briefly at some point each day in case anyone needs any help, but will not be able to do any more testing until I return home, probably on Tuesday.

And it has done but it has not affected My team Tottenham who are 1-0 down to ayer Levercusen in the friendly cup

had mute on at the start and I thought oh no but for then I was blind and now I see (and Hear)

Archived