The FM08 Career Thread

Originally posted by happy slappy:

Surprised you didn't take that job offer from France Gilbster, what made you stay?

Wasnt entirely sure it was a step up for me. Thought it may be worth trying to see what I could do with this Chilean side first, before moving anywhere else.

Glad I stayed actually, give I now have my first league title under my belt on this career. If any job offers come in next season, while we are struggling with a possible relegation battle, I'll be more tempted to jump ship.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A Mexican first Division A club has just approached me called Queretaro, and at least they look quite cometitive. However think I owe it to the club I just got promoted to at least give them a bit of time in the new league before I jump ship.

I am starting to think I am missing the point of this whole career thing, as I normally just play a game until I get sacked and then load up a new one. This whole switching clubs thing is a concept I havent quite grasped yet!

Originally posted by Gilbster:

A Mexican first Division A club has just approached me called Queretaro, and at least they look quite cometitive. However think I owe it to the club I just got promoted to at least give them a bit of time in the new league before I jump ship.

I am starting to think I am missing the point of this whole career thing, as I normally just play a game until I get sacked and then load up a new one. This whole switching clubs thing is a concept I havent quite grasped yet!

I had a game at Queretaro and they are a good side. promotion to the top flight should be straightforward (easier than making sense of the whole opening/closing stage, play-off, average points thing anywayicon_wink.gif).

I know what you mean about it being difficult to leave clubs. I think anytime I've switched clubs in a long-term game, I've always kept a save from the point before I accepted the job. maybe the way for you to go is to achieve what you can where you are and see if it raises your rep sufficiently for a job in one of the top European leagues. (That's my plan at least!)

Just finished my first season in League 2 with Basingstoke, and we done really well IMO, finished in 12th, just 7 points off the play-offs, so not bad, though experienced players are a must for next season, the lack of experience within the team took it's toll.

Hopefully a push for the play-offs next season, and we'll take it from there, that is, if I decide to stay in charge.

Thansk to also managing the Ukraine national side, my rep is pretty decent at the moment. I have just glanced at the rules for the Chilean top division and they look as confusing as the Mexican ones did. Maybe if a good European club comes in I may have to jump to get back to a league I can follow!

I am highly curious as to what I can achieve with Union San Felipe, and leaving before having a go in the top division, doesnt sound like a great idea. Only time will tell how wrong I go with my choices.

I already regret leaving my first club after loosing in the playoffs as im now in a poorer standard of league and feel i could have had at least another season to get promoted and see what else i could have achieved before getting promoted, however it was the dutch leagues and i hate their format, but i do wish id have at least tried to win something before bailing but oh well, only time will tell.

Next job for me though will hopefully be abroad, bored of playing in England.

Some of the players on my search screen are quality, but because they can't get Work Permits I can't sign half of them.

icon_mad.gif

Add nationality - EU to your search screen and you won't know what you're missing out on.

Yesss! Colo Colo are offering to loan me Nicolas Millan for the second season. He was great for me this season, with 21 goals in 29 games. This cna only bode well.

Have now also rejected the Gretna job which has been the most tempting offer I've recieved so far. I just dont want to have regrets like Mocko.

Have fun in Holland Aird1e, I've had some fun games there in the past.

Yesss! Colo Colo are offering to loan me Nicolas Millan for the second season. He was great for me this season, with 21 goals in 29 games. This cna only bode well.

Have now also rejected the Gretna job which has been the most tempting offer I've recieved so far. I just dont want to have regrets like Mocko.

Have fun in Holland Aird1e, I've had some fun games there in the past.

Ignore my cheering. Just had the link with Colo Colo terminated due to them being in the same division. This is going to make this season really hard, unless the players I have been signing are actually good.

I just dont want to have regrets like Mocko.

Yep but i also believe that every thing leads to a new path, like yesterday i was not looking forward to my career game with stockport, yet now im 3rd (okay only 3 games gone but i beat one of the best teams in the league) im undefeated and am sorta keeping the finances under control.

But (really dull) story aside, id advise seeing how the season goes keep them up and then if a club with good potential comes knocking take it. Hope that helps

Yeah that does help a bit. Not sure why I feel like I may be doing this career thing wrong, given it is my career, thus should be able to make my own decisions.

After 2 games of the new season, we have won one and lost one. It will probably take me the whole season to understand all the stages of the Chilean First Division.

After 2 games of the new season, we have won one and lost one. It will probably take me the whole season to understand all the stages of the Chilean First Division.

The Chilean First Division is divided into two stages, which means there are two champions per season. Yep that doesnt make sense but most South american countries seem to do it that way.

Even though you play against each team once the league is broken up in 4 groups of 5 for qualification purposes. The top two in each group qualify for the Quarter Finals. But there comes a bit of a catch. If the top two of each group are not the same as the top 8 in the overall league there is a Qualification match between the worst second placed team in the groups aginst the best team in the league standings who didnt finish in the top two in their group. Here an example:

First Division Groups

First Division League Table

In this example Union Espanola finished second in their Group, however not in the top 8, therefore they had to play against Everton (CHI), who finished in the top 8 but only finished 3rd in their group.

Relegation on theother hand is based on the Opening and Closing Stage with the bottom two being relelgated and the 3rd and 4th from bottom having to play a relegation play-off.

Hope this helps mate, if not feel free to ask anything!!

Thanks for that info Corinthiano. That does make slightly more sense now.

Basically try and win as many matches as possible, and if you are lucky you get into a qualification playoff.

What exactly is the qualification for? How many spots for each continental competition?

Finally finished another season with FC Gratkorn, i had a break from the save and been away over the weekend.

2015/16 - FC Gratkorn - Austrian Premier Division

Media Prediction 4th

Transfer Budget 120k

Wage Budget 1.88m per annum

Only a short update, I won the league with 3 games to spare. Managing to beat my previous seasons best of 2nd. Strum Graz were my main rivals throughout the season but a win in the final stages and their draw with Salzburg tipped the title my way. The squad performed well throughout the season, Nikischer/Cristaldo combination working extremely well managing 45 goals between them. With both wanting to leave along with my AMC Rujovic i may be struggling next season if i have to cash in on them.

The domestic double was up for grabs as i took on Mattersburg in the final of the Austrian FA Cup, we lost 2-1 after being 1-0 up at half time. Squad fatigue and a couple of injuries did not help a bit.

Our European ventures were ended prematurely when we were drawn against Rangers in the 1st Round. We lost 7-5 on aggregate. Champions League next season for Gratkorn though.

I only managed to make one big name signing this season which was Cristaldo. For free from Velez. Erba, my new left back was acquired who slotted straight in alongside my well formed defense, he was signed for only 45k.

Finances are sh!te, well only about 1mil in the red but 5.75mil of loans to pay back from the 3 stadium expansions. Wonder whether the board will decide to increase it again this close season.

Actually contemplating moving on next season if there is a offer worth taking, i think i have taken them as far as i can, won the league, the cup and europe 2 seasons in a row, going into a 3rd. The debt is not helping and the loan payments a burden. Having no transfer budget isn't helping me as i need to strengthen the squad to challenge again next season and make europe worth while.

Any thoughts on what to do next season?

Thanks for that info Corinthiano. That does make slightly more sense now.

Basically try and win as many matches as possible, and if you are lucky you get into a qualification playoff.

What exactly is the qualification for? How many spots for each continental competition?

Oops forgot to explain the most important bit. The qualification is for the Knock-Out Stages which determines determines the champion. Naturally it goes Quarters -> Semis -> Final.

The winner of the Opening and Closing Stages get into the Libertadores, plus the side with the best record in the overall league table (Opening + Closing Stage). I dont really know how the qualification works for the Copa Sudamericana (South American equivalent of UEFA Cup) but I assume the second + third best side in the overall league table qualify.

Im off on holiday next week so thought I would give myself a new challenge.

So here I am - Profile

Leagues where I will spend my long, hopefully successful, career:

(All the leagues available in the following countries)

Australia

Belarus

Brazil

Colombia

England

Italy

Scotland

South Korea

Originally posted by mocko666:

How long you been there ToMexico??

been there five seasons now and basically taken them from being a nothing team to the best in Austria with extremely limited resources and a p!ss poor stadium...i think it is time to move on even though champions league football has been achieved.

Originally posted by ToMexico!!:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mocko666:

How long you been there ToMexico??

been there five seasons now and basically taken them from being a nothing team to the best in Austria with extremely limited resources and a p!ss poor stadium...i think it is time to move on even though champions league football has been achieved. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i think i'd be tempted to take them into europe. it might improve your reputation a bit more?? playing on the european stage enhances player reps, so why not managers??

of course it's up to you.....

Well, i got Dunfermline promoted, but iwas less than happy when the board gave me no transfer cash whatsoever. I asked for more, but they said no. then they decided they'd accept a 500kbid for my start striker (who in the last 2 seasons has scored 70 goals in 71 games ) He has now left... I then expected some cash for a replacement, but this was not to be, they gave me NONE of the transfer cash they got from mcgarry.... I then decided enough is enough. I ultimated for more cash, and got sacked... I have now got the job at Pisa. So now i can try to manage in Italy.

Originally posted by matty_8:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by aaberdeenn:

Maybe up your rep a notch or two? What reputation have you been using?

automatic

i was being laughed at by lower league Brazil and Belarusian clubs, was gutting icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, I think the rep. thing is a bit messed up, so you should start at semi-professional at most.

Had an encouraging first few weeks learning my ABCs! icon_biggrin.gif Admittedly, the team were already in a strong position when I took over but two big wins in my first two games secured our passage to the Brazilian Third Division Second Stage. After that, I gave some new signings and youngsters a run out and continued to get the results. icon14.gif So far I have a record of Played 7 Won 6 Drawn 1 with 22 goals scored and 1 conceded. I expect the second stage will be tougher though as one of my opponents, Bahia, topped their group in the previous round in similar style.

Third Division First Stage Final Table

The adventure continues!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by matty_8:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by aaberdeenn:

Maybe up your rep a notch or two? What reputation have you been using?

automatic

i was being laughed at by lower league Brazil and Belarusian clubs, was gutting icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, I think the rep. thing is a bit messed up, so you should start at semi-professional at most. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Apart from automatic, the lowest available rep when I started up was semi-pro. That enabled me to get job offers from Brazilian Third Division sides and national sides as well as Coventry City. icon_biggrin.gif

Hmmm, decisions decisions

The board have managed to strike a deal for a new shirt sponsor for 2 years at 550k per annum, that along with the sale of a fringe player for 150k and tv revenue it has cut my debts down to 275k.

And the inevitable pre season stadium capacity increase has begun, 3500 this time upping it to around 9000 seats. Nice. But its costing me. Another bank loan has gone out. Thats 4 now.

1.1mil @ 12k p/m

2.3mil @ 22k p/m

2.4mil @ 24k p/m

4.6mil @ 45k p/m

totaling 10.5mil in loans taken out and 113k per month in repayments. Fan-fcuking-tastic.

Got a couple of players coming in on free's, a well sought after DM to compete with Gerald Samuel for DM position and a former player Jantscher who is a AMRL FC.

Got to the point where debt and not being able to strengthen the squad like i need to is pisching me off. If jobs in Switzerland or the Czech Republic come up i may take one.

Ok I have a job! The career of Matthew Smith starts here

Ive added Northern Ireland and Wales, and removed Colombia from my previous post.

The club Queens University Belfast in the Northern Ireland 2nd Division

Made up my mind to take the first tempting offer that comes my way. After the first 12 games of this season, in the new division, we have picked up a total of 6 points.

I dont enjoy losing match after match, despite changing tactics.

Just hope I can get a job offer (not intending to apply for anything unless something amazing becomes available).

Good luck and have fun to all the newcomers in this thread

Opted to stay another season, see the champions league venture out and win another title. top after 5 games, 4 points clear so hopefully this season i can gain an early lead and stick with it.

got liverpool in the 3rd round of the champions league if i can beat slovan bratislava on aggregate, currently hold a 1-0 lead from the home leg.

signed a awesome by standards striker from Ried on a free, costing me a fair bit in wages but well worth it, 5 in his first 4 games in the league.

Wow at the halfway point of this season, I have a total of 9 points from 19 games.

Got no idea how to improve my teams fortunes at the moment. I am 8 points away from the side above me. I am thinking its only a matter of time before relegation is completely inevitable.

I'm starting to wonder whether to start again, I think loading a lot of different leagues might have been a mistake, the game is becoming annoyingly slow. There is also the fact that I have spent 15 seasons getting absolutely nowhere.

If I load more divisions from less leagues will it run quicker? I'm thinking of dropping a few of the countries in favour of adding extra divisions to give more of a chance of getting a foreign job.

Originally posted by dafuge:

I'm starting to wonder whether to start again, I think loading a lot of different leagues might have been a mistake, the game is becoming annoyingly slow. There is also the fact that I have spent 15 seasons getting absolutely nowhere.

If I load more divisions from less leagues will it run quicker? I'm thinking of dropping a few of the countries in favour of adding extra divisions to give more of a chance of getting a foreign job.

I think that may be a good idea. I have 48 leagues running in 20+ countries and its really slow in 2011. Think I will rethink my leagues and restart too.

Going to restart using all leagues from the following countries:

Trying to stick to Europe this time. Slightly less leagues in total, and actually picked England this time. Believe my aim is ultimately the Liverpool job.

Belguim

England

France

Germany

Greece

Holland

Italy

Portugal

Scotland

Spain

Wales

Of the jobs available I have been offered Stafford Rangers in the BSP, Llagefni in Wales or Stranraer in the Scottish Third Division.

Since I havent played in Scotland for years, I have gone with Stranraer. And at least in the Scottish Third Division I wont get relegated!

Well wish me luck on this new career!

Archived