The FM08 Career Thread

Decided to join in the fun and have begun my own career game.

My first job is in the Dutch First Division with Eindohoven

P.S my rep was regional before i took the job, is Eindhoven really that good a team to get a national rep, my hope is to get them into the playoffs and hopefully take them up and then move on as i dont like the dutch league and only took the job to get into a game.

Career

Eindhoven joined 26.2.2008 achievments .........

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by dafuge:

I've made a massive mistake in not signing a new contract with MK Dons. Instead of struggling in League 1 I find myself struggling in the BSN icon_frown.gif

I'm sorry to hear that Dafuge. Hopefully your fortunes will turn soon.

So far I have rejected a large number of Indonesian clubs, applied and been rejected for everything else, and still have over 100 days til my first Ukraine match.

The Ukraine are in a qualifying group with Greece, Albania, Holland and Luxembourg.

After a short spell of just 86days i guided the club to the playoffs without losing however after loosing in the playoffs i decided to end my reign as i decided that Dutch football just isnt for me, way to complicated i may return at some point however i wish too go manage elsewhere for the time being

Career

Eindhoven 26.2.08 - 22.5.08

Gilbster gets a club

Well I have finally been offered a non Indonesian job, and have jumped at it.

I am now the manager of Limerick 37 in the Irish First Division.

I have taken over half way through the season, and the club are in 10th (and bottom) place. Hopefully I can just avoid relegation and see where I go from, from here.

Career History:

9.3.08 Joined Ukraine

6.6.08 Joined Limerick 37

great thread,has really given me the enthusiam to get back playing fm08

just wondering if everybody selects their real nationality for their manager?

being irish i am wondering how much of a diverse effect it would have on my career seeing as i would ideally like to build my reputation by starting abroad and not enter the uk shores until i am at least at the level to take over a scottish prem or english championship level club

any thoughts? or would it be best to just select french/italian/portuguese?

or perhaps have irish and a second nationality also?

i won my last game 5-0, and i then lost 4-3 to bristol, with my keeper being 'fantastic' again.

I'd had enough, i've resigned from Covnetry after just 100 days in the job. Im now on holiday, with aplly for higher reputation clubs and return from holiday when offered a job also ticked.

I have been reading through this thread the last couple of days and I think that I have been looking for a new game to play so I thought I'd give this a try icon14.gif

Selected Leagues

The countries I selected were (I loaded the top two of every league at least);

England

Spain

Italy

Germany

France

America

Mexico

Brazil

Argentina

India

Australia

Manager Profile

Name - Boris Sanchez

Age - Thirty One And One Quarter

Nationality - Mexican

My First Job

Boris Sanchez was named as the new boss of Ukraine today. The words on the lips of most people was Who?

A couple of days later he was assigned as boss of Stranaer.

Hey guys,

After not playing a proper career game since FM06 I have decided to give it a go again. I have gone for the leagues I used to select when playing a career game. They are:

Argentina

Brazil

Chile

Colombia

Mexico

Peru

Uruguay

USA

all nations loaded to the lowest possible division on a larg database.

My aim when playing this game is always to take over Corinthians at some point and take them to Libertadores glory, although that never seems to happen icon_rolleyes.gif

I have started as a Brazilian/German with Sunday League Footballer experience and got a job offer from a very good club, Madureira, a Rio side that plays in the Thrid Division. Here the screenies:

Job Offer

Madureira

I have Vasco as my parent club and have loaned a few decent players from their side. I already have a pretty decent side for Thrid Division standards so didnt need to make a lot of signings. As there is no transfer window in Brazil (well almost no transfer window, I think the only time you cant sign players is between October and December) I am sure some signings will be made, probably youngsters who are playing in the reserves for the bigger teams.

My only siging so far is a delight fo me as he is a Corinthians legend, having won 7 titles in his 6 years at the club, I present to you Marcelinho Carioca. He is very old and his physical stats are pretty bad, but I just had to sign him + he is the best AMC at the club and his free kicks are out of this world.

I have only played one game so far in the Rio State Championship against Flamengo, which I lost 2-0, not too bad. My aim for the season is to reach mid-table in the State Championship and reah the Second or Third Round of the Thrid Division.

Just been sacked from Guiseley after just 4 months in charge. Things weren't going too well and I applied for a couple of jobs which upset the board.

Never mind, I didn't really want to be there anyway, I just hope I can get a move abroad as that was the reason I quit MK Dons.

Unlucky Dafuge. Wonder where you will end up next.

Have a feeling I will be sacked before long from Limerick 37. Just lost a relegation "6 pointer" to put us in bottom place, 1 point behind safety with 7 matches left of the season. If I am not sacked before the end of the season, I will resign, before the relegation auto sacks me.

On the plus side my first match in charge of the Ukraine, saw us beat Greece 4-1 icon_smile.gif

Well I really should learn that posting anything about form etc.. in this forum is a death wish!

Sure enough Limerick lost their next game 1-0 and I seem to be sacked. I dont appear to have the message in my personal inbox though, but I can see Limerick are definitely hunting for a new manager.

Looks like I'm on the lookout for a new club.

Career so far...

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">

Season Team Country League League Finish Achievements

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2008 Limerick 37 Ireland First Division n/a In charge for 113 days.

Was heading for relegation and was sacked.

2008/09 Ukraine Ukraine World Cup Q's

</pre>

sorry for stealing your career code table thing, Dafuge.

Well that was a shorter hunt for a new job than I was expecting.

I am now the new manager of Union San Felipe, in the Chilean Division 1B. I know nothing about Chilean football so this should be interesting.

I have taken over with 11 matches left of the season and the club are in 10th (out of 12) place, and my new assistant manager has just given me a glowing team report. So not entirely sure why the club arent higher in their table.

It seems that if you resign from clubs or are forced to resign it seems almost impossible to get another job unless youve got a high rep. Whats your rep dafuge and what did you start with??

Originally posted by mocko666:

It seems that if you resign from clubs or are forced to resign it seems almost impossible to get another job unless youve got a high rep. Whats your rep dafuge and what did you start with??

I started with automatic, which gave me an unknown reputation. I had raised it to regional during my time at Braintree and MK Dons. Since quitting MK Dons a week before my contract expired hardly anyone was interested in me.

After saying all that I get offered a job.

I'm the new manager of St Albans City in the BSS. Morale is rock bottom and the club are involved in a relegation battle, could be hard work but I don't want to unemployed for the rest of my life.

Originally posted by aaberdeenn:

Going through a bit of a tough time at the moment aren't you? icon_wink.gif

Don't seem to be able to hold a job for for than a few months.

I should never have left MK Dons, that was a big mistake. It has knocked my career back by at least 4 years.

I think I'm starting to enjoy this game.

Uninion San Felipe gave me a 50k transfer budget, and also allow me to scout the whole of South America, so I may actually be able to improve the side.

I am also being linked with lots of other jobs, mainly in the Irish Premier Division.

I have no intention of leaving this Chilean side until I'm either sacked, or a really nice job offer comes in, or I get bored!

2013/14 Season Review

This season has been truly bizarre. With just a week left on my contract with MK Dons, I decided to resign since there was a lot of jobs available and I thought my successes would be enough to earn me a move to a lower league team abroad. I couldn't have been more wrong.

On the last day of August I finally got an offer, although it was from lowly Guiseley in the BSN. The club had a lot of potential, plenty of money and scope for me to improve them considerably. Even though it was a bit of a stop gap job, I thought I could do pretty well there. I had turned around the clubs poor form and I was happily guiding them to a mid table finish when a couple of jobs came up in a lower league in Brazil. Desperate to get my move abroad, I applied for them both. The board didn't like this and promptly sacked me.

I was back to the job centre again, only this time I was being rejected by just about everyone. Finally, in April I got offered the job at St Albans in the BSS. It wasn't the best looking of jobs, poor morale, massive debt and a relegation battle were on the cards but I just had to get back into management. I've started slowly, keeping the current crop of players, not changing too much and just about saving them from relegation. At the end of the season there will be a massive clear out and a brand new squad brought in.

Career so far

Season    Team              Country    League                 League Finish    Achievements
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2007/08   Braintree Town    England    Blue Square South      15th             Took over with 10 games left
2008/09   Braintree Town    England    Blue Square South      4th              Lost in playoff final
2009/10   Braintree Town    England    Blue Square South      1st              League winners, promoted
2010/11   Braintree Town    England    Blue Square Premier    12th             Left after 44 games to join MK Dons
2010/11   MK Dons           England    League 1               24th             Relegated, took over with 1 game left
2011/12   MK Dons           England    League 2               3rd              Promoted
2012/13   MK Dons           England    League 1               17th             Left after contract expired
2013/14   Guiseley          England    Blue Square North      n/a              Sacked for applying for jobs in January
2013/14   St Albans         England    Blue Square South      18th             Took over in April

2008 Review

Well the year started in March, when I loaded the game and after rejecting multiple Indonesian clubs (not my ideal starting league), I took on the jobs of Ukraine manager and a few months later the managerial post at Limerick 37 in the Irish First Division.

It was a short stint in Ireland, taking over at the halfway point of the season with the club bottom, and being sacked with 8 games left, with the club still bottom.

I then got offered the chance to work on my sunburn, in sunny Chile. I am now the manager of CD Union San Felipe S.A.D.P to give them their full title.

Took over with 11 games left and managed to keep them safe above the relegation spot, and have signed a large amount of players hopefully to rebuild for the following season.

Meanwhile the Ukraine have started well in their World Cup qualifiers.

Ukraine Results 2008

I can't help but wonder what 2009 and my second season of this game will bring.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">

Season Team Country League League Finish Achievements

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2008 Limerick 37 Ireland First Division n/a In charge for 113 days.

Was heading for relegation and was sacked.

2008 Union San Felipe Chile First Dvision B 9 Took over with 11 games to go.

</pre>

shame to see you struggling dafuge. i think a lesson has been learned in not being to hasty to leave a job! sure you'll be climbing the leagues again soon.

as for me, i have just started the championship season with Doncaster at last! 2 games gone, and 2 defeats! icon_frown.gif things aren't as bad as they look though, and i am settling in nicely to life in the championship. just smashed the record transfer fee to sign Freddy Eastwood for £1.5 million icon_eek.gif gets injured after coming off bench on debut though... icon_rolleyes.gif

After a poor start at Coventry, i left. This was 100 days after i took the job and i was 22nd. I lost many points due to my goalkeeper.

I shortly got offered the Colchester job, when that happened poor Coventry were bottom, while Colchester were 22nd. I took the job, and i've played 3 games so far.

H 4-1 Barnsley

great result which got the fans immediately happy. Good sign for the U's.

H 1-4 Charlton

completely demolished. Opposite performance and result from my players.

A 3-1 Coventry

Very sweet victory here. I nice way to remember me by. The ironic thing is that my old goaly gave my striker an open goal for my third which finished them off.

7th July 2007

So my career as a football manager begins.

I'm not too sure what to expect but I want to spend my whole career working in England hopefully working my way up from the bottom to the very top. I have no reputation so things could be difficult initially but we'll see how things go.

First things first though, I deserve a holiday, all that typing was hard work, so I set of on holiday waiting for the job offers to roll in.

8th July 2008

My holiday was unfortunately cut short after 24 hours. It was good news though, Stafford Rangers of the Blue Square Premier were offering me the role of manager on a two yeal deal with the aim of establishing their position in the league.

I kindly accepted their offer and we were off, my managerial career has begun.

H 1-0 Hull

a great result, the club is heading in the right direction

A 3-3 Watford

great result against a good side.

H 4-1 Wolves

amazing result, i ewas hoping for a point at most, never expected this.

H 0-1 Portsmouth (league cup)

great performance, perhaps the best under my reign, even if we lost

A 0-0 Sheff Wed

dull game, but we got a point so it was fine.

H 2-1 Blackpool

not amazing, but a win is a win.

Now climbed from 22nd to 16th so far in my 9 games with Colchester.

Ive got 17 out of a possible 27 which is a good solid start.

Originally posted by aaberdeenn:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by bermybhoy:

Managing Rangers icon_eek.gif Se they just got relegated, so good luck with that one.

? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sure they've been relegated from the conference in the real world...presuming they're not that good.

(t.b.s = to be seen)

So my first season went like this:

[b]Year[/b]     Team            [b]Days spent at club[/b]   date left club   [b]Date joined club[/b] position when left       [b]Division[/b]

2007 Coventry 100 16.10.2007 8.7.2007 22nd Coca-Cola Championship

2007 Colchester 197 24.6.2008 10.12.2007 16th Coca-Cola Championship

2008 Dunfermline t.b.s t.b.s 25.6.2008 t.b.s Scottish First Division

I wasn't enthuastic near the end of my 197 days at Colchester, as I wanted a different league and country to play in. I then applied for many Spanish BBVA jobs, and this Dunfermline job. I got the Dunfermline job straight away (man they must be desperate icon_rolleyes.gif )

I believe that we are good enough to be promoted back to where we belong, and i hope i find enthuasim for the role of manager for Dunfermline. We have a media prediction of 2nd, so hopefully i can deliver the goods.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">Year Team Days spent at club date left club Date joined club position when left Division

2008 Dunfermline t.b.s t.b.s 25.6.2008 t.b.s Scottish First Division</pre>

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">Year Team Days spent at club date left club Date joined club position when left Division

2008 Dunfermline t.b.s t.b.s 25.6.2008 t.b.s Scottish First Division</pre>

One last try

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">Year Team Days at Club Date Joined Date Left Position Division

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2007 Coventry 100 8.7.2007 16.10.2007 22nd Coca-Cola Championship

2007 Colchester 197 10.12.2007 24.6.2008 16th Coca-Cola Championship

2008 Dunfermline t.b.s 25.6.2008 t.b.c t.b.c Scottish First Division</pre>

I should never be allowed to manage a team with any form of transfer budget.

I now have far too many players in my squad, most of them are unhappy, and my assistant manager reckons they should all be first team regulars. (Which is why I signed them in the first place).

Any ideas how I can get more than 11 men onto a pitch at a time, so I can keep them all happy?

Oh and after the First Phase of this season, Union San Felipe are sitting in 4th place. Lets hope the other 3 phases are good.

Archived