The FM08 Career Thread

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Guess they weren't wrong about the December/January slump thing then?

Just lost my last 2 games 3-1.

icon_frown.gif

Ah well, considering we were predicted to finish in last place, I can't complain about being 14th so far, only 6 points off the play-offs.

22 cup finals left.

icon_smile.gif

Season 2023/24 - Manchester United

So my first season in the top flight - Premiership football was ready for me and it was purely a matter of enjoying it but importantly - staying up. I hadn't worked this hard for 2 years in the Championship to then go back down. Plus the board would sack me with any hint of that anyway icon_razz.gif

So the idea was to get the name of 'Manchester United' back to the fearful perch it once rested on. I wanted teams to be afraid of going to Old Trafford eventually. Clearly with some of the quality in the Prem though, this would take a while. I had no money to work with and so had to rely on a pretty similar side to the promoted one of last year. Not all bad, but we did need some experience in there. Fortunately I came across a Slovakian aging DM to fill this job. We started the season promisingly before receiving a few away drubbings to the top sides. Goals were always guaranteed in our games and the fans certainly got good money for their season tickets. It became clear by the half way point of the season we'd stay up - we had too many goals in us, despite the poor defence. So we floated around midtable and finished here

Arsenal were the runaway champions, taking the title back from Tottenham (who had held it for 3 consecutive years. They eventually went on to emulate the great Man United team of 1999 by winning the Prem, FA Cup and Champions League icon_eek.gif It looked like I'd arrived in the Prem just at the resurgence of Arsenal.

Rob Jacobs had another sensational season and ended up top goalscorer not only in England but in Europe as well icon14.gif Top man. Javi Torres was shaping up to have another memorable season until he broke his leg in December icon_frown.gif He was out for the season but we coped well without him. Hopefully he can come back stronger next season.

On the youth front I have 2 players I'm keeping a close eye on:

James Fox

Gareth Scott (1 of the best of his generation supposedly icon_biggrin.gif)

So there we have it. With an £8mill transfer budget for next season I'm hoping to kick on and push for a top half finish. I've been given a new 3 year contract with the eventual aim of challenging for the title. Mon.

Career so far

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">

Season Team Country League Finish Achievements

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

07/08 Stranraer (left 9.6.08) Scotland 4th in Scot D3 Promotion via Playoffs

08/09 Val di Sangro (joined 2.7.08) Italy 2nd in C2/C Promotion via Playoffs

09/10 Val di Sangro Italy 13th in C1/B

10/11 Val di Sangro Italy 7th in C1/B

11/12 Val di Sangro Italy 6th in C1/B

12/13 Val di Sangro (left 5.6.13) Italy 2nd in C1/B Lost in Playoff Semi's

12/13 Brechin City (joined 25.6.13, left 10.8.13)

13/14 Ancona (joined 16.3.14) Italy 4th in C2/A Lost in Playoff Semi's

14/15 Ancona Italy 1st in C2/A Promotion, C2 Super Cup Winners

15/16 Ancona Italy 9th in C1/A

16/17 Ancona Italy 4th in C1/A Lost in Playoff Final

17/18 Ancona Italy 1st in C1/A Promotion, Serie C Cup Winners, Serie C1 Super Cup runners up

18/19 Ancona (left 29.8.18) Italy

18/19 Elche (joined 3.3.19) Spain 9th in Liga BBVA

19/20 Elche (left 27.5.20) Spain 4th in Liga BBVA

20/21 Wigan (joined 27.5.20) England 1st in Championship Promotion

21/22 Wigan (left 4.8.21)

21/22 Manchester United (joined 4.8.21) England 3rd in Championship Lost in Playoff Final

22/23 Manchester United England 3rd in Championship Won the Playoffs - Promoted!

23/24 Manchester United England 11th in Premier League

</pre>

Damn. That table was supposed to read 11th in Premiership for the league finish part. Dafuge possible correction??

Also forgot to say both League Cup and FA Cup didn't go particularly well.

ok have just started my own game,thanks to this thread inspiring me.

have loaded all leagues from england,france,germany,italy,holland,portugal,scotland and spain.

reputation automatic and i am of course irish icon_cool.gif

22-July-07 successful application -Unterhaching

german regional division south,2 year contract on £1,800 per week

5 year plan is survival in the second division

unterhaching is a professional club and located in munich,value £450k but a loan debt of £1.1m

media prediction is 2nd icon_eek.gif,squad looks decent at first glance,feel really fortunate to have such a job to cut my teeth in so to speak.

game on icon_cool.gif

Well, after managing both Coventry and Colchster in my 1st season as a manager, i left for Dunfermline, where i plan to say for at least 2 or 3 seasons. My media prediction was 2nd, and after 20 games (16 left) im currently sitting in 2nd in the Scottish First Division.

here's what the top 3 looks like:

Position  Team         Wins    Draws   Lost    Points

------------------------------------------------------

1st Partrick Thistle 12 3 5 39

2nd [b]Dunfermline[/b] 10 5 5 35

3rd Mohtherwell 11 2 7 35

Considering 1st is the only promotion place, i need to play catch up to a certain extent. But 4 points isn't much, and with 48 points to win, it's still very possible.

My best player so far has been Steve McGarry as he is on great form. I know his stats aren't the best but 17 goals in the league out 19, and 19 goals from 26 isn't bad at all.

Here are my transfers this season:

(i only signed some of them myself, some were signed before i arrived.)

Transfers

If you can help me out, please just comment.

Adam C

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">Position Team Wins Draws Lost Points

------------------------------------------------------

1st Partrick Thistle 12 3 5 39

2nd Dunfermline 10 5 5 35

3rd Mohtherwell 11 2 7 35</pre>

thanks for the tip aaberdenn,

Well we had a inconsistent end to the season which saw my Dunfermline end in 3rd.

McGarry got 32 in 35 games in the league, while overall, he got 35 out of 45.

I plan to stay for another season, and if we fail to get promoted again, i plan to leave.

Just lost again!

This time 3-1 away to Brentford, no wins in 8 now, I think I may have found the problem, a lot of my players are 19 or 20 years old, so inexperience may be the problem, I think that if I stay up this season then I will have to look into bringing in some older players, but in the meantime I will have to make do with what I have at my disposal.

Gilbster - 2009 - Union San Felipe, Chilean First Division B

Well my squad was improved over the close season with loads of signing, and my parent club Colo Colo lending me over a team's worth of players.

Keeping the players happy has been a challenge and I may not keep all the loanees for another season, to see what talent I really have in my squad.

League Table

And in my other job as Ukraine manager, they qualified for the 2010 World Cup Finals, and then managed a friendly result of Brazil 4-4 Ukraine.

Season Team Country League League Finish Achievements

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2008 Limerick 37 Ireland First Division n/a In charge for 113 days.

Was heading for relegation and was sacked.

2008 Union San Felipe Chile First Division B 9th Took over with 11 games to go.

2009 Union san Felipe Chile First Division B 5th

</pre>

I've been following this thread for a while and thought it was a good time to get started as I only have one other serÅŸous game on the go at the moment.

I'm running the following leagues:

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">Country Divisions

Argentina Second division and up

Brazil Third Division and up

England Championship and up

France CFA and up

Greece National League B and up

Italy Serie B and up

Spain Liga BBVA and up

Turkey First Division and up

</pre>

Obviously, I'm looking to build a career up in the smaller leagues and eventually take over at a top English, Spanish or Italian side.

Not sure if it's required here but force of habit from other threads means I'm posting my starting profile. icon_wink.gif

Plenty of jobs on offer straight away, particularly in Brazil. I was tempted by some of the national jobs (Ukraine, Morroco, Nigeria and Congo) as well as Coventry but decided against it as I'd like to start in a completely new enviroment and I'll take a national job after proving myself at club level. So, wanting something straightforward, I settled on Brazilian 3rd Division side ABC FC. What could be easier? icon_razz.gif To continue with the interesting names, take a look at my captain. icon_biggrin.gif Looks like this will be a classic!

By the way, I set my rep to Semi-pro, which was the lowest available (I assume that's lower than automatic). Upon accepting the job, it went up to national immediately. That got me wondering if the rep is relative. I mean a national rep in Belarus must be easier to attain than one in Spain, right? Still, natÅŸonal rep in Brazil seems pretty impressive when all I've done is take charge at a 3rd division side.

I think the rep you get after your first job also has to do with the club you take over, ABC have a relatively high rep and are in the Second Division now IRL so that maybe got your rep up...

I set my reputation to Sunday League Footballer and after taking over Madureira I still had my reputation as unproven, which could have something to do with the club reputation again as Madureira have a much lower rep.

Originally posted by Gilbster:

Keeping the players happy has been a challenge and I may not keep all the loanees for another season, to see what talent I really have in my squad.

I have played a save in Chile before and was also very reliant on the parent club (Univesidad de Chile) at first, but it got less and less over the years, especially when I went up. So I woulnd completely refuse to get some of their loanees. Have you managed to get yur hands on Nicolas Millan? I had him on loan for a couple of seasons and he is absolutel class!!

Originally posted by corinthiano:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gilbster:

I have played a save in Chile before and was also very reliant on the parent club (Univesidad de Chile) at first, but it got less and less over the years, especially when I went up. So I woulnd completely refuse to get some of their loanees. Have you managed to get yur hands on Nicolas Millan? I had him on loan for a couple of seasons and he is absolutel class!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've still been accepting loans. At the end of the day if I can get players I dont have to pay wages for, then I'm happy!

Have just looked up Nicolas Millan and have put a loan offer in for him. If I'm lucky I may get him.

Oddly its my defense I'm more worried about, I could do with some quality wing backs.

Gotta say its the first time I think I've ever managed in Chile (and first time in South America probably for years), and I am enjoying it. Just renewed my contract and am in no rush to leave this club.

Originally posted by DodgeeD:

I've been following this thread for a while and thought it was a good time to get started as I only have one other serÅŸous game on the go at the moment.

I'm running the following leagues:

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">Country Divisions

Argentina Second division and up

Brazil Third Division and up

England Championship and up

France CFA and up

Greece National League B and up

Italy Serie B and up

Spain Liga BBVA and up

Turkey First Division and up

</pre>

Obviously, I'm looking to build a career up in the smaller leagues and eventually take over at a top English, Spanish or Italian side.

Not sure if it's required here but force of habit from other threads means I'm posting my starting profile. icon_wink.gif

Plenty of jobs on offer straight away, particularly in Brazil. I was tempted by some of the national jobs (Ukraine, Morroco, Nigeria and Congo) as well as Coventry but decided against it as I'd like to start in a completely new enviroment and I'll take a national job after proving myself at club level. So, wanting something straightforward, I settled on Brazilian 3rd Division side ABC FC. What could be easier? icon_razz.gif To continue with the interesting names, take a look at my captain. icon_biggrin.gif Looks like this will be a classic!

quality... icon_biggrin.gif he looks pretty good too.

I think the lack of experience has been a major problem this season, in most games that we have lost we just didn't show up, so if we are still in League 2 next season I will have to get rid of those who hardly featured this season and those not worthy of a place in my team and look to bring in a few seasoned pro's, I would have said that after my contract is up I will look to leave the club at the end of the season, but realized that it doesn't expire until 2014.

icon_rolleyes.gif

The only way is up for Basingstoke.

Hey guys, loaded up a new game with most of the leagues from England/Scotland/N.Ireland/France/Italy/Spain/Sweden.

My second nationality is Swedish so I'm VERY likely to spend my first job in one of the lower teams there, the season's mid-way through because I started in England to keep it realistic. I've rejected a couple of offers, just waiting for the right one to come around. Oh, and of course, started off with Automatic reputation to keep things realistic like a real man.

Okay, I've got a job at IFK Hassleholm. The buggers lied to me though, claiming I would get 1.7k for wages, then there is literally half of that. Trying to sort that out. We are 5th with 9 games left and 7 points of the top of the table, so I'll see if I can spark a revolution! Malmo FF were a pre-set parent club though, so some loans would be nice with them being one of the better teams in the country!

End of season update is likely to follow tomorrow.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by corinthiano:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gilbster:

I have played a save in Chile before and was also very reliant on the parent club (Univesidad de Chile) at first, but it got less and less over the years, especially when I went up. So I woulnd completely refuse to get some of their loanees. Have you managed to get yur hands on Nicolas Millan? I had him on loan for a couple of seasons and he is absolutel class!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've still been accepting loans. At the end of the day if I can get players I dont have to pay wages for, then I'm happy!

Have just looked up Nicolas Millan and have put a loan offer in for him. If I'm lucky I may get him.

Oddly its my defense I'm more worried about, I could do with some quality wing backs.

Gotta say its the first time I think I've ever managed in Chile (and first time in South America probably for years), and I am enjoying it. Just renewed my contract and am in no rush to leave this club. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have only played in Chile once, doing iseemonsters small club to big club challenge and really enjoyed it there. The standard there is pretty decent and there isnt that much of a diference in quality apart from the big 3 of Universidad de Chile, Universidad Catolica and Colo Colo. Did you manage to sign Millan?

just finished my first season as manager

after a rather slow start,which began with 3-5-2 formation because the squad was devoid of full backs,3 games in i switched to 4-4-2 with 4 centre backs playing in defence.this gave me great strength and real threat for both set pieces defending and attack.

happy to say i managed to get on track and win the title

http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg1/Murph1984_2008/Season1Champions.jpg[/img]]final league table

top scorer

http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg1/Murph1984_2008/MarioKonrad.jpg[/img]]mario konrad,top scorer

the only downside is that due to the bank loan(which is now complete) and a payout of £1m to the squad for winning the title balance is now £2.1m in the red

but have to be happy,didnt think id be winning promotion let alone a title in my first season as a manager

Unterhaching will be playing second division football in germany next season icon_razz.gif

Originally posted by corinthiano:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by corinthiano:

Gotta say its the first time I think I've ever managed in Chile (and first time in South America probably for years), and I am enjoying it. Just renewed my contract and am in no rush to leave this club. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have only played in Chile once, doing iseemonsters small club to big club challenge and really enjoyed it there. The standard there is pretty decent and there isnt that much of a diference in quality apart from the big 3 of Universidad de Chile, Universidad Catolica and Colo Colo. Did you manage to sign Millan? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The standard in Chile seems OK, and having a parent club provide most of your squad each season is a bonus. Yes I managed to get Millan in on loan for the season. He's so far been great for me (dont remember the stats at the moment.)

So decided to start a new game, keeping my Basingstoke one just in case, anyways, loaded up the same leagues as before but replaced Sweden with Chile, and it wasn't long till I got this job squad doesn't look half bad, so im hoping we do well this season.

This will be fun.

P.S. I have never managed in Chile before.

Originally posted by happy slappy:

So decided to start a new game, keeping my Basingstoke one just in case, anyways, loaded up the same leagues as before but replaced Sweden with Chile, and it wasn't long till I got this job squad doesn't look half bad, so im hoping we do well this season.

This will be fun.

P.S. I have never managed in Chile before.

Glad to see I can tempt more people over to sunny Chile. I havent managed before in quite a few of the leagues I loaded for this career game, and of the more major European countries I included, I barely remember the last time I had a game in most of those. So this whole career should be quite fun for me.

You seem to have a more ambitious chairman than mine though Happy Slappy.

corinthiano Millan has so far on loan for me scored 9 goals in 8 games.

Sorry Happy, but I have just beaten Temuco 2-1 in my game :p

icon_frown.gif

Have you noticed some of the players that are unattached on the player search screen? icon_eek.gif

I must have scouted 15 of those who were rated "quality signings" and ended up signing 6 of them.

Including a 16 y/o goalie who looks quite decent.

corinthiano Millan has so far on loan for me scored 9 goals in 8 games.

He is absolutely massive, I only managed to prolong his loan spell for another season before he got too god to be loaned out. He won Young Player of the Year twice while at my San Antonio Unido side. Those were good days...

Most of my squad is filled of players rated as "one of the best players at the club" including the ones not on loan!

My scouts keep coming up with gems of players, and with Colo Colo giving me great players, I have no idea why I'm not premoted yet.

My earlier worries have been eased, as soon as I started playing matches and generating income through ticket sales, the wage budget reverted to its normal 1.9k. I have won my first two games, bringing me up to 3rd with just 6 games left! I'm 4 points off the league leaders, I reckon I have a chance of catching them and getting promoted. Would definitely help my rep. I noticed that we already had Malmo FF as a parent, so I've loaned a couple of amazing centre mids from their reserves, who've basically been running the show and dragging my mediocre squad along with them.

think ill give this a go

see if it can get me interested again

loaded

Scotland - 3rd and above

England - L2 and above

France - National and above

Spain - BBVA and above

Italy - C2 and above

Holland - 1st and above

Portugal - Lwin Vitalis and above

Germany - First Division

Jose Gonzalez of Spanish/Scottish heritage

lets see what i can be offered

Really interesting idea guys, just started a new game and got a job at German Regional Division South team Oggersheim. I'm way over my wage budjet and have shipped out a CB already and got in a RB. Now lets see how my first season in management goes icon14.gif

2010 Union San Felipe - Chilean First Division B

What a season. Got some slightly better loanees in from my parent club Colo Colo, and the team have done more than I was expecting.

We have just finished top of the table with 1 game left of the season, and have been named champions.

So next season I get to manage in the Chilean First Division. Lets just hope we dont bounce straight back down.

Ukraine in the World Cup in the summer failed to get past the group phase, and Shevchenko has now retired. We also dont ahve any competitive football coming up due to be co-hosts of the Euro 2012 championship.

Season Team Country League League Finish Achievements

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2008 Limerick 37 Ireland First Division n/a In charge for 113 days.

Was heading for relegation and was sacked.

2008 Union San Felipe Chile First Division B 9th Took over with 11 games to go.

2009 Union san Felipe Chile First Division B 5th

2010 Union San Felipe Chile First Division B 1st Champions and promotion.

</pre>

2 seasons at Dunfermline as ended in promotion! icon_cool.gif now I'm trying to get a new deal so i cant take on the challenge to survive in the top division.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">Season Team Country League League finish achievements

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2008 Coventry England English Championship N/A was hovering above

relagtion and resigned

2008 Colchester England English Championship 16th got them out of relegation battle

2009 Dunfermline Scotland Scottish First Division 3rd unlucky to not get promoted

2010 Dunfermline Scotland Scottish First Division 1st Promoted to the top league :D

2011 wait and see...</pre>

Archived