Most Balanced Match Engine?

FM2018 was my personal favourite for balance between the match engine and functionality of the tactics creator.

FM2024 is actually very good if you want to play positional football; easily the best ever for moving between one system on paper and a 3-2-5 / 2-3-5 / 3-1-6 in attack. The downside is that unfortunately positional football has become mandatory; you might try to play a narrow system, diamond, something more creative, but it all ends up in a positional 3-2-5 / 2-3-5..

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

12 hours ago, Ö-zil to the Arsenal! said:

FM2018 was my personal favourite for balance between the match engine and functionality of the tactics creator.

FM2024 is actually very good if you want to play positional football; easily the best ever for moving between one system on paper and a 3-2-5 / 2-3-5 / 3-1-6 in attack. The downside is that unfortunately positional football has become mandatory; you might try to play a narrow system, diamond, something more creative, but it all ends up in a positional 3-2-5 / 2-3-5..

Maybe we'll get a philosophy slider next year like we did for team fluidity that lets you go between positional and relational!

Brilliant topic by dubbed5

I also realized that ME is definitely broken in new series of FM.

I tested over 30 tactic scenarios in new ME and older ME and the difference is embarrasing.

You put brutal defence, and still got hammered by 5 goals, apsolute joke od ME. How is that even possible in real life.

FM13 to FM17 has much more realism in tactic creation and playing in game, then FM22, FM23,FM24

Gegenpress is a joke, too much overpowered, and it is so easy to win in new ME managers, game has lost it's charm.

Now its all about putting new manager game every year with no difference at all, just the same game like last year, and making profit from it as much as possible.

Definitely playing older version FM, like FM17 or FM15,16......

Edited by NicePlay89

2 hours ago, NicePlay89 said:

Brilliant topic by dubbed5

I also realized that ME is definitely broken in new series of FM.

I tested over 30 tactic scenarios in new ME and older ME and the difference is embarrasing.

You put brutal defence, and still got hammered by 5 goals, apsolute joke od ME. How is that even possible in real life.

FM13 to FM17 has much more realism in tactic creation and playing in game, then FM22, FM23,FM24

Gegenpress is a joke, too much overpowered, and it is so easy to win in new ME managers, game has lost it's charm.

Now its all about putting new manager game every year with no difference at all, just the same game like last year, and making profit from it as much as possible.

Definitely playing older version FM, like FM17 or FM15,16......

Weirdly enough FM18 onward is when the new engine is transfered hum.... Joke a side i think the best still FM17

12 hours ago, NicePlay89 said:

But its not just in Match engine balance, but look how ugly 2D game looks in FM24 compared to FM17, it is absolutely ridiculous.

In FM17 in 2D you can see beautiful stadium, beautiful grass, the nets and goal post are much more better, lighting is better and ambient, and even on stadium stand you can see when two teams play the derby game, that there are fire flares on the stadium stand on the left side and you can even see the smoke going in the air.

I mean, that was 7 years ago, and look at 2D now in FM24, it is hideous. I just dont understand the SI.

fm24 2d.png

slika 9.png

Looks cool. I got FM 17 btw, and did a quick test.
I set up a very defensive low block tactic using the 10th predicted PL team:

FM17-1.jpg

I simulated until the end of the year, just to see how many goals the team would concede.

FM17-2.jpg

Games (before being sacked): 19
Conceded: 22
Clean sheets: 10

Looks fine, better than conceding ~3 goals/game with a low block like in FM24.

Will do a save later, but now I'm having a blast with FM 13, doing an Atleti 2015/16 challenge where they conceded only 18 goals.

Athleti-1.jpg

Mostly, I use this 4-1-4-1 setup, but sometimes I switch to a more defensive tactic in tough games or when I want to secure a lead.

Athleti-2.jpg

A rough start, but now we are doing very well.
It's still early in the season, but our defense is very solid.
However, we need to score more. Selling Falcao to Arsenal was a big mistake.
I couldn't find a good replacement in time, so now I'm stuck with Costa as my only striker.
Hopefully, he won't get injured before the next transfer window.

Athleti-3.jpg

Athleti-4.jpg

Results seem more realistic, unlike in FM24, where even when playing defensively, you often see scores like 5-2 or 4-3.

Bielsa's Athletic pressed hard and won the possession battle, but they couldn't break through our defense.

Athleti-5.jpg

Barca dominated us as expected, even without Messi who was injured.

Athleti-6.jpg

Real Sociedad had a great start with an on-form Griezmann, so I tried some mind games before our match.
I called the press and praised Griezmann, highlighting him as Sociedad's main threat, you know just to put pressure on him.

It worked. He didn't like being in the spotlight, and his morale dropped from good to okay.

Athleti-7.jpg

Athleti-8.jpg

I also told my boys pre-match to go hard on him.
He had a very quiet game and got injured at minute 37 by my DM's tackle.

Athleti-9.jpg

Sorry, Griezmann, nothing personal.
Karma, though... Koke and Arda Turan got injured on our side. Sweet victory anyway.

Athleti-10.jpg

Great game man and testing also.

Yes, you can clearly see that with full defending tactic in FM17 you have 10 clean sheet games, but on FM24 you have 0 clean sheet games, and that is just absurd and completely unreal.

I played FM13 also, but skin from FM17 is too beautiful and 2D is perfect so I still play FM17. :) :)

slika 9.jpg

slika 6.jpg

slika 5.jpg

slika 4.jpg

slika 3.jpg

slika 2.jpg

slika 1.jpg

19 minutes ago, NicePlay89 said:

Great game man and testing also.

Yes, you can clearly see that with full defending tactic in FM17 you have 10 clean sheet games, but on FM24 you have 0 clean sheet games, and that is just absurd and completely unreal.

I played FM13 also, but skin from FM17 is too beautiful and 2D is perfect so I still play FM17. :) :)

slika 9.jpg

slika 6.jpg

That 2D is beautiful

26 minutes ago, Hzano123 said:

So can we all agree that FM17 is the best FM? 🤣 Literally my favorite

The worst one ever to be honest. And not even joking. When you talk about the most balanced version, FM 2017 should never even be mentioned. 

Of support role strikers sum 80+ pass attempts and 5+ key passes per game, there is something really badly wrong with balance. 

I really miss the timeline in the newer games.
It was so convenient and useful.

timebar.jpg

Found this vote here, about 70% want to have it back, while 18% want to have it but only after the match...

Probably SI wanted the match day experience to be more realistic.
But at least, we should have the timeline after the match, when watching and analyzing the replay.

Edited by dubbed5

I reinstalled FM17.

I like that IF-A doesn't have 'take more risks' hardcoded. IF-A is more of a wide AF whereas IF-S with 'more risky passes' hardcoded is more of a creator.

There is no inverted winger but I guess playing a winger with 'cuts inside' trait will do.

There is no SV. Is there a role that can replicate the BBM role from the DM stratum?

The DM role is a bit strange. DM-D has 'close down more' hardcoded but the DM-S hasn't (even though it has a higher mentality).

Edited by Ein

14 hours ago, Ein said:

I reinstalled FM17.

I like that IF-A doesn't have 'take more risks' hardcoded. IF-A is more of a wide AF whereas IF-S with 'more risky passes' hardcoded is more of a creator.

There is no inverted winger but I guess playing a winger with 'cuts inside' trait will do.

There is no SV. Is there a role that can replicate the BBM role from the DM stratum?

The DM role is a bit strange. DM-D has 'close down more' hardcoded but the DM-S hasn't (even though it has a higher mentality).

I'm also playing FM17 and tend to use either Regista or modify the DM role to suit my needs. Not quite the same, but with the right player traits works out quite similar to the SV support. 

Il 28/2/2024 in 13:40 , Litmanen 10 ha scritto:

The worst one ever to be honest. And not even joking. When you talk about the most balanced version, FM 2017 should never even be mentioned. 

Of support role strikers sum 80+ pass attempts and 5+ key passes per game, there is something really badly wrong with balance. 

In FM24 you can reach those numbers with wingbacks, and with very poor attributes to boot as long as they’re fast “enough”.

10 minutes ago, Muja said:

In FM24 you can reach those numbers with wingbacks, and with very poor attributes to boot as long as they’re fast “enough”.

Could well be. I think attacking minded wingbacks have been really effective ever since roles such as complete wingback were introduced in the game. 

Don't remember if it was FM 2015 or 16 but I remember Oscar De Marcos regularly escaping to a free crossing positions about ten times per game in a simple 4-4-1-1 formation. Not a good player in terms of attributes but in the game 'impossible to mark' for the AI. 

1 hour ago, dubbed5 said:

The new update is out, but it seems there are no fixes or improvements for the match engine (ME). :larry:

Lol, yeah I'm actually astounded to be honest. Either they don't care about this year's game at all, or they've realised they can't fix the current broken ME as it stands and it would be a waste of their time / resources doing so.

It's probably a bit of both I think. And sadly with graphics / presentation probably the order for next year's game, the ME will not improve much at all in that too, maybe only a little focus on the set pieces as that was a refreshed implementation this year.

• 3 weeks later...

I have recently installed FM13 and I can see the effect of collision detection but not in a good way. Players with ball look dumber (as it seems to have a big effect on their decision making) and therefore it is actually quite easy to make defensive systems over effective (poor teams defending like 2014 Atlético). Also yesterday I played FM24 and hate it. It is basically a crossing simulator where central players practically always prefer to play the ball wide and the crossing accuracy even from bad players sometimes reminds me D. Beckham. 

EDIT: Well, after playing some more I am actually starting to like/enjoy FM24. Some of the crossing accuracy still bothers me but generally the engine looks very nice. It just needs a bit of patience which is not my greatest virtue.

Edited by Los_Culés
Starting to like/enjoy FM24.

Coming from FM 21 and after finishing a season on 24 I must say I really like the match engine. Major downside is that it's too easy  unfortunately. The other thing that bothers me is that passing is too good in general. Improving directness and tempo attributes for AI in editor helps but still.

Edited by Mitja

• 2 weeks later...

@vlad_pony - I removed your post as it's got nothing to do with the current topic. It seems more like a mix of an advert for your content and some feedback to what you think about the game. For links to your content you can post here. The rest is more suited for the feedback thread.

11 minutes ago, XaW said:

@vlad_pony - I removed your post as it's got nothing to do with the current topic. It seems more like a mix of an advert for your content and some feedback to what you think about the game. For links to your content you can post here. The rest is more suited for the feedback thread.

Sorry man i just threw some links on steam and screenshot on tactic i didnt want to elaborate too deeply why fm 13 for me is better game than fm 24 but if you want to i can.

As i said stadiums were better, engine was better, tactic creaton in classic tactic mode was better, more streamlined than new fm better AI...I just shared the links so you can see i am NOT LYING when i said i have 10k hours in FM 13 compared to only like 1k hours in new FMs, thats all. You could just remove the links if you want not delete the whole topic for fk sake....I just didnt wanted to be accused of something. I just said i create tactics on daily basis thats all...I dont know where you got that i advertised something it was just to see its not something made up in my head but its reality.

Just want to say fm 13 is still beast and someone need to recreate it into 64 bit so we can play it again. I will buy your new Fms if you want anyway i dont care :D. I just need fm13 without crashes.

You just cant go wild with current tactical screen, Sliders were the way to go but so many stupid people on this Earth whou could not manage and comprehend what the sliders are doing so the SI had to reduce us to this pathetic new tactical screen that is so weak i cant understand.

FM24 ME is a stinker, im sick of seeing set piece highlights, perfect finishing but only when offside, only 2 reliable mentalities, IF's being better at crossing than wingers, BPD doing nothing wrong and getting a 6.6, the CM roles being completely useless compared to the DM roles, goalkeepers not making much of a difference and being able to win the CL with Keepers from League 1.

There seems to be surprisingly much love toward FM 2017 here. As I am not willing to reinstall that version myself, have to rely on YouTube. 

I think this video and the goals quite well summarize the horrors of the match engine even though the take is of course small. In short: the defenders completely ignore the deep-dropping striker when defending and this leads to constant short passing moves at the edge of the penalty area. This is even when the opposition has a clear man advantage when defending. 

I think Rashidi also has a lot of videos from this version which shows how the middle of the park works. It looks like football being played in an airfield as there is so much time and space and the defending side is all the time running around and trying to chase the ball way too late. It's a bit like little children playing football. 

I think that especially Tottenham and Harry Kane especially broke that match engine. 

Decided to give it a go anyway:

Screenshot2024-04-10114432.thumb.png.814e32b482a0c066a01ea12f64e75d76.png

This is an away game against Manchester City. Created a regular 4-2-3-1 tactic with Kane playing as a DLF(A). Those stats and the highlights were just crazy. Kane was about 10-15 times unmarked in front of the defensive line and freely able to feed the overlapping inside forwards and attacking midfielder. Those stats look more like a deep-lying playmaker's stats but when he always operates in dangerous areas, the amount of damage that he is doing is huge. Won the game 4-0 and even though Kane didn't get any assists, he was working like an attacking anchor for us: always available for passes and able to feed his teammates. 

One game with this match engine was more than enough. Can't even imagine how the striker would work against a weaker side and at home. Or with a narrow tactic that exploits the match engine... Or if I would have used more than 15 seconds to set up the tactic. 

Have to once again give SI a lit of credit on how they have managed to be able to balance these kind of things in the newer versions of the game. 

I rest my case: FM 2017 had a shockingly bad match engine. I guess so many people enjoyed it because it was so easy to exploit and to make your attacking players to perform unrealistically well. 

Edited by El Payaso