Post-WC FIFA ranking

PMLF

Tifo did a video on the rankings and because they transfered current standing over and then started using this ELO style it makes it hard for teams to move up and down. Belguim as an example, up until this month hadn't lost many and when they did it was to teams in the top 6, so it had a minimal effect on their score. Basically if you gonna drop a lot in the rankings you have to lose to lower rank teams

USA are a striker away from being capable of contending against anybody. On most days, our midfield will outwork just about anybody and we have the pace to keep teams on the back foot. The defense can be a mess, but that's true of most teams.

Would love to see England play matches in Central America and see how easy they think it is after getting kicked all over the pitch for 90 minutes, while suffering ridiculous abuse from the stands.

13 minutes ago, thomyorkessoul said:

USA are a striker away from being capable of contending against anybody. On most days, our midfield will outwork just about anybody and we have the pace to keep teams on the back foot. The defense can be a mess, but that's true of most teams.

Would love to see England play matches in Central America and see how easy they think it is after getting kicked all over the pitch for 90 minutes, while suffering ridiculous abuse from the stands.

I want us to play Argentina 

2 hours ago, thomyorkessoul said:

The same USA that England barely drew with?

England showed no urgency to attack that game, they were quite happy with the draw from the start. I don't know why, but they definitely did not play to win.

The USA is a worse team than Japan who are 20th, swap the two and it would be better.

Edited by Mahzun_Savas

Just now, thomyorkessoul said:

Reveal hidden contents

44Eq3Ab5LPYn6.gif.e21cf3db4ae6f6d71ac5231929234e17.gif

You can meme all you want, but USA is nowhere close to European or South American teams, wouldn't qualify from either region.

Then you have a decent number of African teams that are better.

You just had the luck of being in one of the worst two groups of the tournament, including the worst European team that lucked into qualifying due to COVID and war in Ukraine.

Every team that could field decent 11 players qualified from your region, including awful Costa Rica.

Italy, Ukraine, Czech, Turkey, Austria, Hungary, Russia, Slovakia are all definitely better teams than the US, whether you like it or not.

Then there are half a dozen other teams that are also decent.

In South America, you have the likes of Colombia and Chile not qualifying, alongside worst teams in the region being on par with Costa Rica.

Serious answer? Because I've seen us play outside of the World Cup. Just because I didn't watch those games doesn't change anything. I'm perfectly capable of reading analysis of the games as well if I wanted to, but frankly I don't care what happens at this joke of a World Cup. It's fitting that a team that lost to Saudi Arabia won the whole thing. It just shows how pointless these arguments actually are.

9 ore fa, PMLF ha scritto:

Maybe they should increase the impact of the WC in the ranking.

I mean... Argentina got the double, America's Cup + World Cup and still behind Brazil?

Just LOL.

Edited by Federico

51 minutes ago, Federico said:

Always baffled by seeing Belgium being that high in the rankings, position earned by doing literally nothing.

yes other than winning more games than any other nation in the world between 2016-2020 literally nothing :rolleyes:

On 19/12/2022 at 09:25, Icondacarver said:

The issue with these threads is that people want rankings to match the eye test. The problem is that the eye test is subjective and so FIFA mirroring the ELO system is as close to objective as it gets 

Yes, other than results what else can you base it on?

In the league we never hear that the table is clearly rubbish because a lower ranked side wins.

Also, by basing it on results and specifying the rules in advance you avoid accusations of fixing for World Cup draws and the like. Want to be in a better pot? Beat more teams to improve your ranking.

Rankings of the World Cup

1. Argentina

2. France

3. Croatia

4. Morocco

5. Netherlands

6. Brazil

7. England

8. Portugal

9. Japan

10. Spain

11. Australia

12. USA

13. Poland

14. Senegal

15. South Korea

16. Switzerland

17. Germany

18. Uruguay

19. Mexico

20. Belgium

21. Ecuador

22. Tunisia

23. Cameroon

24. Iran

25. Saudi Arabia

26. Ghana

27. Costa Rica

28. Denmark

29. Serbia

30. Wales

31. Canada

32. Qatar

Edited by oche balboa

It is a ranking based on criteria. We can question the criteria all we want but all teams know the criteria and even hailed it for years (ELO)

It will always give us random rankings which is the same with other sports. Only male tennis avoids this issue, mainly due to the dominance of the big 3