Maximising Attack and Defence in a Classic 4-3-3

• crusadertsar changed the title to Maximising Attack and Defence in a Classic 4-3-3
45 dakika önce, crusadertsar said:

Lets start with attack. The classic 4-3-3 (or 4-1-2-3 if you want to be pedantic) lives and dies by its attacking trident. The three forwards spearheading the formation.

classic433.png.feee20f7bfb678e375187d9ebe1d5913.png

The Tactical Variety, Attacking Trident, and Overloads

The Trident - the trio of the two wide forwards and central striker that differentiate this formation from other tactics (and frankly what I love the most about the shape). It's often the reason why other FM managers also choose the 4-3-3 over other less "exciting" shapes. There is just something about having three all-out forwards leading your offence. Albeit two of them are inside forwards and therefore more technical than your typical central striker. And it's actually not as simple as creating a tactic with two attacking inside forwards. You might already have a few inside forward types on your team. Which modern football club doesn't? You might also possess a good central striker too. But is that enough for you to choose 4-3-3 as your primary formation? There is much more to a good 4-3-3 than simply accommodating attacking players at your club.

Variety is the spice that completes the recipe for this formation's success. That's because the three forwards can't all do the same thing. In fact, I go out of my way to make sure that every one of my 11 players does something different as his primary task. Every single role should be set up a little differently from all the others. Occupying a different space, moving into another area on the pitch, or in general focusing on different behaviours from the player next to them.

433roles.png.0de33986ef0caa7de70475d8640c00d5.png

Variety is key in any tactic but even more so in 4-3-3. Since it's a bottom-heavy shape with only one central striker, you will need to be creative and unpredictable in how you attack the space presented by your opposition. Like putting more tools in your tactical toolbox, you need to maximize your attacking potential. Do this by creating more than one outlet for your attack. In the image above, can you guess how many of the 10 outfield roles are involved in attacking? Or are designated as my goals-scorers? Those who exploit space and put pressure on the opposition defences. Depending on their quality, you should be able to get at least 3-4 players like that in the above tactic. Three roles in three separate tactical strata.

In attack there is the Pressing Forward. In the advanced midfield, Inside Forward and Inverted Winger. And then you have the Mezzala in the midfield.

Space is everything in football. You can have your players use the pitch space to its fullest by intentionally overloading some parts of the field while having their teammates ready to pounce and exploit openings elsewhere. Thus the placement of the Mezzala, IW and the right Wingback is very intentional. Here is where you put the players who are most comfortable on the ball and able to keep hold of it under pressure. Players with good First Touch, Dribbling, Passing, Vision, Composure, and Balance. Natural playmakers or in the case of WB - dribblers, tireless runners and crossers as well. The three are meant to hold on to the ball and dominate it down the right side of the field. This will pull the opposition defenders and midfielders and create an overload on the right.

At the same time it is important to have more than one good passer on the overloaded side so as to switch the ball to the other side. So if the player has good playmaker attributes then I would instruct him to pass more directly. The trait "likes to switch ball" is also good one to train. And once you achieve that big switcheroo to the left flank, it is your Inside Forward's time to shine! This player, if he finds himself with lots of opened-up space, needs the attributes to take advantage of the opening (Off the Ball, Anticipation, and the obvious physicals like Acceleration and Pace). Then he will require the attributes to make the best of the goal chance - Finishing, Technique and Composure.

The less obvious attributes, that I nevertheless think are essential, are good First Touch and Jumping Reach. Why is that? Very simple. You will have plenty of crosses coming in from the right flank, from the IW, Wingback and even the Mezzala. So it is best to have a left IF who is comfortable in receiving crosses (Jumping) and getting the ball under control quickly and in a small area while being closed down by opposition players (why First Touch is also important). Ironically, my chosen player has mediocre (for my level) First Touch. But I really like him for his excellent physicals. And especially Jumping, which is rather rare in a technical inside forward type. He is almost like a Wide Target Forward!

IFA.png.724121fb961f74cced7d280941b80a95.png

Of course the typical Inside Forward attributes are still important. Your best goal-scoring wide forward will need all the other attributes required by the role, like the ones highlighted above. Also, "moves into channels" works surprisingly well in such a player. Especially because it is not possible to select this instruction in most wide attacker roles (except Wide Target Forward and Raumdeuter). It is too bad, because it is a great addition to a scoring Inside Forward's arsenal. Especially when combined with tactical overloads. Simply put, when you overload one side, space will most likely occur in the opponents opposite half-space channel (your left on the tactics screen). Their defenders will likely shift to defend or try to regain the ball from your players concentrating on their left (your right) side of the pitch.

It also helps if you have a wingback (even one on defend duty but with underlap instruction to increase his mentality) occupying opponent wide player on the same side as your IF. Essentially your Inside Forward will have an open channel towards the opposition goal. Or at worst in a favourable 1vs1 situation against a much slower, less agile opposition centreback or midfielder.

IW.png.e8994466bc0f38b1d3d621191f1c714c.png

Your AMR IW should also be no slouch when it comes to his attacking aspect. He will need to act as another goal threat if your AML is closed down or the overload does not work. The IW will also tend to carry the ball inside a lot, when not passing or crossing it. As you can see my chosen player might not be the best dribbler so he is probably not the ideal fit for this jack-of-all-trades role but hopefully his excellent playmaking attributes will require less need for dribbling as he brings other more physical attackers into play. I predict a lot of nice through balls and crosses from him towards our left flank attackers. I am also training "likes to switch ball" trait for exactly that reason.

So this is how overloads and the right combination of roles, attributes and traits can really stack the chances in your favour. But that is not all to consider in a classic 4-3-3 when trying to maximize its potential. We cannot forget about the midfield and defence.

To Be Continued ... 

A really nice post, mate, as always:applause:

2 hours ago, Panosgeo79 said:

Amazing read as always man

Have you consider a Raumdeuter instead of the IFa on the left?

Possibly. I don't see how that wouldn't work. Just depends on your player really. It's just my player does not really have the mental attributes for such a demanding role. Would need someone with exceptional off the ball, anticipation and work rate. I selected the role for my guy to take most advantage of his above average physique and decent dribbling. Sort of like a tank to break through defences. Not so much of a wide poacher to run onto space. But you could probably make it work if you have the right player for the Raumdeuter role. 

Since we are talking about offence of 433 and since its my favorite so many years in the game i would love to hear you what is your preference in tempo in such a bottom heavy formation.

I mean do you think suits better slow based tempo in order the deep players reach the attack or even higher tempo can be success.

Always in mind that we are playing at a middle table european team and not a world class that even a scrap tactic will propably succeed

2 minutes ago, Panosgeo79 said:

Since we are talking about offence of 433 and since its my favorite so many years in the game i would love to hear you what is your preference in tempo in such a bottom heavy formation.

I mean do you think suits better slow based tempo in order the deep players reach the attack or even higher tempo can be success.

Always in mind that we are playing at a middle table european team and not a world class that even a scrap tactic will propably succeed

I have been using the combo of short passing and slightly faster tempo (on Positive Team mentality) for years. Sometimes I also add "dribble less often" to that mix. To create the type of pass-and-move football that I love to see. Of course for those ultra defensive sides that are harder to break down I will vary the tempo from time to time. Sometimes "lower tempo" actually works better to break them down methodically. But for the most part  slightly faster and slightly shorter (one notch from default) passing serves me just right. 

We agree then on the style

Looking at your tactic dont you find at times that IFa and PFa have less space for action?

The same about MEZs and IWs that play in the same area.I got what you are trying to do with overloads just asking though

And what about your left wide channel?

It seems little action there for spacing as well 

27 minutes ago, Panosgeo79 said:

We agree then on the style

Looking at your tactic dont you find at times that IFa and PFa have less space for action?

The same about MEZs and IWs that play in the same area.I got what you are trying to do with overloads just asking though

And what about your left wide channel?

It seems little action there for spacing as well 

So far I noticed my PF(A) drifting into right channel actually to help with the overload. Its probably because I tend to play a right footed player there. Hence he does not really get in the way of my IF. Mez(s) and IWs dont really run into each other as much I expected. I instruct IW to stay wider. Anyway it is still early days. Will need to observe more games to give more concrete analysis. 

The Midfield Trio: Half-Back, Water-Carrier and The Needle Player (Iniesta Role)

In a 4-3-3, unlike in a two-men midfield tactic, you have the luxury of one dedicated more defence-oriented player (Half-back) who can solely focus on screening your defence, recycling possession, and linking up with the ballplaying defender to progress the ball up from defence and towards central midfield and attackers. I might even go as far as to state that a half-back is absolutely essential in any tactic where you are aiming to stretch the play with two wingbacks (even if one is a bit more conservative) and to play in attacking possession style. A defend-duty Half-back in DM strata also allows the other two midfielders to embrace more interesting roles and serve as better links with our attack.

The mezzala acts as a the "needle player". Think of him as a sort of hybrid between an aggressive midfield attacker (a sort of deep shadow striker,/inside false winger) and a roaming playmaker. It is a demanding role tasked with bringing the ball up from midfield by either dribbling with it or using his superior off the ball, passing and vision to move the ball via a series of one-two passes or longer through passes towards the attackers. It is a highly technical, delicate job, like threading the needle between midfield and attack. When I think of a perfect mezzala, Barcelona's Andres Iniesta always comes to mind. One of my favourite players growing up. At his prime, he was that "needle" in Pep's Barcelona Dream Team.

image.jpeg.36eac173e139948d7c2a0bc9577a5493.jpeg]

Iniesta had the gift of perfect time. Which is probably the single best talent you can have as a footballer.

The one who plays this game the best is Iniesta: he knows exactly when to go forward and when to drop back. He picks the right moment to do everything: when to dribble, when to speed things up and when to slow things down. And I think that's the only thing that can't be taught or bought. You can learn how to shoot and how to control the ball, but being aware of everything that's happening out on the pitch – that's something you're either born with or you're not.        

- Former Argentina playmaker Juan Román Riquelme on Iniesta

820796764_2016-06-13-Espaa-Repblica-Checa.jpg.58530ddb6371b4cfab7944adce05a4c2.jpg

Iniesta's role in Barcelona's 4-3-3 could have been likened to that of a mezzala, which in Italian basically meant a more offensive–minded box–to-box. But Iniesta made that role so much more.

14659427621531.jpg.d2ac8420868f50556e4e2c76998d7eb6.jpg

At Barcelona Iniesta originally started as a defensive midfielder. But his balance, ball control and agility in close spaces, alongside his flair and composure on the ball, allowed him to evolve into the attacking midfielder. Then he finally staked his world-class player status in central midfield alongside Xavi, at both Barca (under Pep Guardiola) and in international level. It is in this deeper position that his direct style and quick feet came into full effect. Sometimes, the ball looked almost glued to his toes as he dribbled into threatening positions. As a diminutive midfielder, Iniesta had to work so much harder to make his passing, technique, vision and smart movement compensate for any lack of physicality. A perfect of embodiment of Spanish football's focus on perfect technique over pure brawn. 

As a mezzala, Iniesta's ability to read the game was unrivaled. While not being the paciest, he had great acceleration. And was able to closely control the ball at speed, which combined with his low centre of gravity, made him into one of the most skilled dribblers of all time. This allowed him to change direction quickly to get past opponents, despite not being particularly quick. His former manager Pep Guardiola has famously praised Iniesta's "mastery of the relationship between space and time, which he utilises to his advantage in order to disorient opposing players when in possession."

858709-20287458-2560-1440.jpg.fc95ae78aa34c0252d4abb197a5fe3a0.jpg

Of course, it is very likely that your team does not possess a player of Iniesta's caliber. There are very few contemporary players of similar quality. But that does not mean that you could not enjoy the services of a mezzala in your tactic. In this role you could play your typical creative, technical AMC player but with good dribbling, workrate, stamina as well as decent positioning, tackling. Having above average physicals like acceleration and pace also helps. This is the player I am currently using in the role.

mez.png.c4882ac5bcc82e88cb62c3d28536669c.png

The team I am testing this tactic with is in Spain, so naturally I'm blessed with highly technical players. Benat is a young teenager who I expect to really grow into this role. He already possesses some of the required attributes (still has to work on his dribbling). I am also training him to use the trait which I believe complements very well both mezzalas and box-to-box midfielders.

Mezzala's box-to-box partner can be a very similar player except more well-rounded in both attack and defence. So basically with better positioning, jumping and tackling. At the same time he can do with less technique and playmaking ability but more physique and defensive awareness. And he does not really need to be as as fast. Although if you are lucky to have another player that's similar to your mezzala but just more defence-oriented then by all means play them together. Your midfield will be very hard for the opposition to play through. If your player is more limited in his passing ability but still a ball-winning type with plenty of stamina then I find carrilero is a nice alternative. All in all, this player should be your team's "water-carrier", gluing the midfield with his tenacity and contagious energy. A perfect partner to the more technical artist that is the mezzala. 

b2b.png.6a5cea3e6b8f507c5d6c9d3fb90ea8f7.png

B2B Midfielder - The 4-3-3 Tactic's "water-carrier" role.

Where mezzala is all flash and flair leading your midfield, the box-to-box/carrilero is the hard worker behind the scenes plugging the holes left by your advancing "needle" player. Or arriving late to to contribute with longshots and pick opposition defences apart, after they were disrupted by the mezzala and other attackers.

There is a reason why I like my MCR player (mezzala) to be more of the playmaker than his left side central midfield partner. I would like for him to help out in switching possession towards the left flank and our inside forward. He should do this once the overload trap has sprung on the right flank. The mezzala, right-side wingback and my AMR player will all be heavily involved in keeping possession down the right side and then switching it to the left. Once the opposition midfielders and defenders engage us over there, trying to regain the ball, more space should become available on the opposite side. Hence the reason why I am training all three of these players to be able to switch the ball. While on the individual instruction level, I also instruct them to pass more directly.

In general in a well-crafted 4-3-3, midfield is the one place in the formation that you really want to pack with good passers. With mezzala acting as the more advanced link-up player, the half-back takes on the equally important role of being the teams defensive pivot. It is a signature role in any attack-oriented 4-3-3, and does not need much explanation as to why. The game does this rather well.

halfb.png.c5040b059e28c882abe7063fde6a3260.png

Just know that if you are planning to play with a B2B midfielder and mezzala upfront and two wingbacks, then you will probably need a very good Half-Back. I look for very specific attributes in my Half-Backs. Mainly, his ability to pass the ball (in order link up better with the other midfielders), defensive awareness (positioning) and mobility (acceleration, pace). Again, I am managing in Spain so happen to have just such a player on my team. He is also only 21 years old (and has not even reached his full potential).

Pacheco.png.1f5aa60b0ce0b594e956edd82b5fb6b6.png

Will definitely need to improve his strength however. I would try to get someone similar for your team to complete your three-man midfield. Naturally, similarly technical players (who also possess great positioning) might not be as easy to find at the start of the game. But I suspect that a less capable passer, albeit with excellent positioning and physicals, should still work well.

To Be Continued ... 

Edited by crusadertsar

1 saat önce, crusadertsar said:

The Midfield Trio: Half-Back, Water-Carrier and The Needle Player (Iniesta Role)

In a 4-3-3, unlike in a two-men midfield tactic, you have the luxury of one dedicated more defence-oriented player (Half-back) who can solely focus on screening your defence, recycling possession, and linking up with the ballplaying defender to progress the ball up from defence and towards central midfield and attackers. I might even go as far as to state that a half-back is absolutely essential in any tactic where you are aiming to stretch the play with two wingbacks (even if one is a bit more conservative) and to play in attacking possession style. A defend-duty Half-back in DM strata also allows the other two midfielders to embrace more interesting roles and serve as better links with our attack.

The mezzala acts as a the "needle player". Think of him as a sort of hybrid between an aggressive midfield attacker (a sort of deep shadow striker,/inside false winger) and a roaming playmaker. It is a demanding role tasked with bringing the ball up from midfield by either dribbling with it or using his superior off the ball, passing and vision to move the ball via a series of one-two passes or longer through passes towards the attackers. It is a highly technical, delicate job, like threading the needle between midfield and attack. When I think of a perfect mezzala, Barcelona's Andres Iniesta always comes to mind. One of my favourite players growing up. At his prime, he was that "needle" in Pep's Barcelona Dream Team.

image.jpeg.36eac173e139948d7c2a0bc9577a5493.jpeg]

Iniesta had the gift of perfect time. Which is probably the single best talent you can have as a footballer.

820796764_2016-06-13-Espaa-Repblica-Checa.jpg.58530ddb6371b4cfab7944adce05a4c2.jpg

Iniesta's role in Barcelona's 4-3-3 could have been likened to that of a mezzala, which in Italian basically meant a more offensive–minded box–to-box. But Iniesta made that role so much more.

14659427621531.jpg.d2ac8420868f50556e4e2c76998d7eb6.jpg

At Barcelona Iniesta originally started as a defensive midfielder. But his balance, ball control and agility in close spaces, alongside his flair and composure on the ball, allowed him to evolve into the attacking midfielder. Then he finally staked his world-class player status in central midfield alongside Xavi, at both Barca (under Pep Guardiola) and in international level. It is in this deeper position that his direct style and quick feet came into full effect. Sometimes, the ball looked almost glued to his toes as he dribbled into threatening positions. As a diminutive midfielder, Iniesta had to work so much harder to make his passing, technique, vision and smart movement compensate for any lack of physicality. A perfect of embodiment of Spanish football's focus on perfect technique over pure brawn. 

As a mezzala, Iniesta's ability to read the game was unrivaled. While not being the paciest, he had great acceleration. And was able to closely control the ball at speed, which combined with his low centre of gravity, made him into one of the most skilled dribblers of all time. This allowed him to change direction quickly to get past opponents, despite not being particularly quick. His former manager Pep Guardiola has famously praised Iniesta's "mastery of the relationship between space and time, which he utilises to his advantage in order to disorient opposing players when in possession."

858709-20287458-2560-1440.jpg.fc95ae78aa34c0252d4abb197a5fe3a0.jpg

Of course, it is very likely that your team does not possess a player of Iniesta's caliber. There are very few contemporary players of similar quality. But that does not mean that you could not enjoy the services of a mezzala in your tactic. In this role you could play your typical creative, technical AMC player but with good dribbling, workrate, stamina as well as decent positioning, tackling. Having above average physicals like acceleration and pace also helps. This is the player I am currently using in the role.

mez.png.c4882ac5bcc82e88cb62c3d28536669c.png

The team I am testing this tactic with is in Spain, so naturally I'm blessed with highly technical players. Benat is a young teenager who I expect to really grow into this role. He already possesses some of the required attributes (still has to work on his dribbling). I am also training him to use the trait which I believe complements very well both mezzalas and box-to-box midfielders.

Mezzala's box-to-box partner can be a very similar player except more well-rounded in both attack and defence. So basically with better positioning, jumping and tackling. At the same time he can do with less technique and playmaking ability but more physique and defensive awareness. And he does not really need to be as as fast. Although if you are lucky to have another player that's similar to your mezzala but just more defence-oriented then by all means play them together. Your midfield will be very hard for the opposition to play through. If your player is more limited in his passing ability but still a ball-winning type with plenty of stamina then I find carrilero is a nice alternative. All in all, this player should be your team's "water-carrier", gluing the midfield with his tenacity and contagious energy. A perfect partner to the more technical artist that is the mezzala. 

b2b.png.6a5cea3e6b8f507c5d6c9d3fb90ea8f7.png

B2B Midfielder - The 4-3-3 Tactic's "water-carrier" role.

Where mezzala is all flash and flair leading your midfield, the box-to-box/carrilero is the hard worker behind the scenes plugging the holes left by your advancing "needle" player. Or arriving late to to contribute with longshots and pick opposition defences apart, after they were disrupted by the mezzala and other attackers.

There is a reason why I like my MCR player (mezzala) to be more of the playmaker than his left side central midfield partner. I would like for him to help out in switching possession towards the left flank and our inside forward. He should do this once the overload trap has sprung on the right flank. The mezzala, right-side wingback and my AMR player will all be heavily involved in keeping possession down the right side and then switching it to the left. Once the opposition midfielders and defenders engage us over there, trying to regain the ball, more space should become available on the opposite side. Hence the reason why I am training all three of these players to be able to switch the ball. While on the individual instruction level, I also instruct them to pass more directly.

In general in a well-crafted 4-3-3, midfield is the one place in the formation that you really want to pack with good passers. With mezzala acting as the more advanced link-up player, the half-back takes on the equally important role of being the teams defensive pivot. It is a signature role in any attack-oriented 4-3-3, and does not need much explanation as to why. The game does this rather well.

halfb.png.c5040b059e28c882abe7063fde6a3260.png

Just know that if you are planning to play with a B2B midfielder and mezzala upfront and two wingbacks, then you will probably need a very good Half-Back. I look for very specific attributes in my Half-Backs. Mainly, his ability to pass the ball (in order link up better with the other midfielders), defensive awareness (positioning) and mobility (acceleration, pace). Again, I am managing in Spain so happen to have just such a player on my team. He is also only 21 years old (and has not even reached his full potential).

Pacheco.png.1f5aa60b0ce0b594e956edd82b5fb6b6.png

Will definitely need to improve his strength however. I would try to get someone similar for your team to complete your three-man midfield. Naturally, similarly technical players (who also possess great positioning) might not be as easy to find at the start of the game. But I suspect that a less capable passer, albeit with excellent positioning and physicals, should still work well.

To Be Continued ... 

Mate, don't forget to improve their composure too. It is one of the most essential attributes for an attacking style. By the way, a mezzala should be the most creative in the side, packing a large dose of vision and flair because Iniesta was so:)

In my 433 my trio in midfield consist of an Anchor Man,a DLPs and a CMa.

I am always on dilemma if i must use a MEZa instead of the CMa but since i always play with less capable teams i find that roaming creates holes in my midfield.

This is why i dont use both MEZ and BtB together.

In my opinion you need players with very good mental attributes especially concentration and a very capable 6 player to cover.

Dont you find that Mez +BtB along with a HB creates a big gap in midfield?

Edited by Panosgeo79

3 dakika önce, Panosgeo79 said:

I am always on dilemma if i must use a MEZa instead of the CMa but since i always play with less capable teams i find that roaming creates holes in my midfield.

In my opinion you need players with very good mental attributes especially concentration and a very capable 6 player to cover.

Great combination for a mid block counterattacking style.:brock:

2 hours ago, Panosgeo79 said:

I've been using a 4141 and 433 with DMC-s, Mez-s and B2B and having great succes. Won the league first season at Fjolnir (Iceland) and Stabaek (Norway), got promoted first season with FC Dordrecht (NL), predicted 17th and atm won 12/12 first division games with ADO Den Haag. Might just be the match engine not being patched yet but I don't think you need world beaters atm to do well with this setup.

5 hours ago, Panosgeo79 said:

No, I haven't noticed any gaps in my midfield. Could be due to the quality of my plsyers. More roaming is actually what keeps my players closer together. Weirdly enough. I think more fluid teams play generally less wide. It also helps that I tend to tell them to keep passing short and play more narrow.

Edited by crusadertsar

6 hours ago, frukox said:

Mate, don't forget to improve their composure too. It is one of the most essential attributes for an attacking style. By the way, a mezzala should be the most creative in the side, packing a large dose of vision and flair because Iniesta was so:)

Yeah :ackter:totally forgot to mention Composure. Good call! Yeah Benat is not the most creative player and only my back up mezzala. But I have been playing him a lot due to long-term injury to my primary "needle" player. 

Edited by crusadertsar

6 hours ago, kazm said:

I've been using a 4141 and 433 with DMC-s, Mez-s and B2B and having great succes. Won the league first season at Fjolnir (Iceland) and Stabaek (Norway), got promoted first season with FC Dordrecht (NL), predicted 17th and atm won 12/12 first division games with ADO Den Haag. Might just be the match engine not being patched yet but I don't think you need world beaters atm to do well with this setup.

I think with a DMs the gap is not big and your midfield play well together.

The thing is that since the DM is on support someone else must do the job behind and I am not speaking about CDs.

What was your formation pal?

Edited by Panosgeo79

17 hours ago, Panosgeo79 said:

I think with a DMs the gap is not big and your midfield play well together.

The thing is that since the DM is on support someone else must do the job behind and I am not speaking about CDs.

What was your formation pal?

image.thumb.jpeg.fb9650a84f11784b941dc20ab404eac7.jpeg

Also had succes with worse clubs. It's not perfect but I am happy I managed to create something based on Cleon's threads and Rashidi's  yt vids.

I would use the striker in a different role but he really is only good as a TF. 

• 2 weeks later...
42 minutes ago, coach vahid said:

The guy open 150 threads... But never complete a single one...

How do you "complete" a thread actually? Would love to know that.:lol:

What i like to do is motivate tactical discussion and inspire other people to try different things in their own saves. As long as that happens, which seems to do more often than not, then I'm happy. So sorry you are not happy mate. Maybe you can go and read some more of those "completed" threads instead then.

Edited by crusadertsar

5 minutes ago, crusadertsar said:

How do you "complete" a thread actually? Would love to know that.:lol: What i like to do is motivate tactical discussion and inspire other people to try different things in their own saves. As long as that happens, which seems to do more often than not, then I'm happy. So sorry you are not happy mate. Maybe you can go and read some more of one of those "completed" threads instead then.

Are you planning on some extra's in this threat though?

7 minutes ago, warlock said:

This isn't the tactics download forum, it's tactics discussion. He's under no obligation to post every last detail.

Thanks mate for the backup. I think some people don't realize that's it's not that easy to maintain a tactical thread long-term. And how much time can go into writing, testing. And the pressure to put our constant updates when you barely have to time to just enjoy playing the game.

15 minutes ago, BadAss88 said:

Are you planning on some extra's in this threat though?

Yes, i'm considering going back to 4-3-3. It is my favourite shape afterall. It's just after testing it I find it to be rather "toothless" in attack in FM23 ME. And harder to break down parked buses, which is what I mostly face now. At least when compared to the two other tactical systems I tried so far in FM23, 4-2-3-1 and 4-4-2 Narrow Diamond. They are just more enjoyable to play and watch.

Edited by crusadertsar

2 minutes ago, crusadertsar said:

Yes, i'm considering going back to 4-3-3. It's just after testing it I find it to be rather "toothless" in attack in FM23 ME. And harder to break down parked buses, which is what I mostly face now. At least when compared to the two other tactical systems I tried so far in FM23, 4-2-3-1 and 4-4-2 Narrow Diamond. 

Yeah, I'm facing the same problem. It just misses that extra body in attack indeed.

The thing is that IFs are not AFs, you are better of using a 4-1-2-1-2 or a 4-1-2-2-1.

2 AF 1 SS or 1 AF 2 SS, deals more thread but it has a problem defending FB/WB, so you wanna use 'mark specific player' (yes, player not position) on the wider attacking players of your AF/SS.

So your wider attacking player marks the opponent fb/wb, so your CMs can press the opponents players without gettibg drawn out wide.

That is basicly all. Use whatever lines/blocks, TIs, OIs. Role/Duties behind that front 3 and you are always overachieving.

On 01/12/2022 at 09:28, kazm said:

image.thumb.jpeg.fb9650a84f11784b941dc20ab404eac7.jpeg

Also had succes with worse clubs. It's not perfect but I am happy I managed to create something based on Cleon's threads and Rashidi's  yt vids.

I would use the striker in a different role but he really is only good as a TF. 

What other role would you use for your striker?

11 hours ago, crusadertsar said:

I find it to be rather "toothless" in attack in FM23 ME.

No doubt it's dependent on squads and individual players, but I'm not finding that. I'm running a 433dm that @Rashidiput together to emulate Arteta's Arsenal in beta, although I've tweaked it a bit to suit my own preferences. But here's the tactic:

image.png.ad8edcef1f1632b55d35d74b94a3c38f.png

And here's what we've achieved:

image.png.cfea0da4fcf9136af279fe3210237fab.png

Granted, it's with Man Utd (who tend to be overpowered in FM) but it's a long way from plug-n-play. I've tried it on balanced mentality but that does tend to lack a cutting edge, but positive mentality tends to produce shot-happy football. So common in-game tweaks include switching on lower tempo and 'work ball into box'. I've turned off most of @Rashidi's PIs, and his original tactic uses a set of OIs but I've never used OIs in FM and I'm not about to start now.

Other personal preferences include using 'stay on feet' because I hate managing yellow and red cards, and the original has an IWB at LB but neither of United's choices there perform well in the role so I switched that to a standard WB on support. Ditto for the original tactic's F9 up front - none of my strikers is great in that role so I defaulted to AFs. Most goals come from the lone striker - Rashford has 14 from 13 starts - and the Mez-att - Fernandez has 9 from 14. The wide AMs have 19 between them. Most assists come from the mezzalas - Fernandez and Eriksen (my two regular starters) have 22 assists from a combined 33 starts. But we do get goals and assists from all over the pitch.

Despite the excellent attacking threat (48 goals in 16 PL games, best in the league) we're giving up little in defence - just 11 conceded so far, second best in the league. Kudos to @Rashidifor this one, but it shows you can have a well-balanced 433 that doesn't have to be toothless in attack.

And yes, I hate that 3-3 at Bournemouth as much as you do :mad:

Am 15.12.2022 um 10:38 schrieb burnum:

@crusadertsar Just wanted to let you know that I enjoy all 150 of them. Keep going...

Just as me!

you are the workhorse in this forum and I enjoy every part of it. Great work again!

You pair well with the likes of @frukox and @bosque the first being the water carrier always filling the gaps and supporting your creative work and the latter being a Defense pivot with remarkable questions and in the right position. 

On 14/12/2022 at 13:53, crusadertsar said:

How do you "complete" a thread actually? Would love to know that.:lol:

What i like to do is motivate tactical discussion and inspire other people to try different things in their own saves. As long as that happens, which seems to do more often than not, then I'm happy. So sorry you are not happy mate. Maybe you can go and read some more of those "completed" threads instead then.

I don't actually think it is possible to "complete" a thread. I mean, not everyone who attempts to replicate your tactic(s) will have the same questions and no two saves are exactly the same.

Your threads offer a different approach to tactical creation and have a different element when based off of historical tactics/coaches. You will never please everyone, but that is still no reason to change the way you approach your threads. 

Keep up the good work.

On 15/12/2022 at 03:06, warlock said:

No doubt it's dependent on squads and individual players, but I'm not finding that. I'm running a 433dm that @Rashidiput together to emulate Arteta's Arsenal in beta, although I've tweaked it a bit to suit my own preferences. But here's the tactic:

image.png.ad8edcef1f1632b55d35d74b94a3c38f.png

And here's what we've achieved:

image.png.cfea0da4fcf9136af279fe3210237fab.png

Granted, it's with Man Utd (who tend to be overpowered in FM) but it's a long way from plug-n-play. I've tried it on balanced mentality but that does tend to lack a cutting edge, but positive mentality tends to produce shot-happy football. So common in-game tweaks include switching on lower tempo and 'work ball into box'. I've turned off most of @Rashidi's PIs, and his original tactic uses a set of OIs but I've never used OIs in FM and I'm not about to start now.

Other personal preferences include using 'stay on feet' because I hate managing yellow and red cards, and the original has an IWB at LB but neither of United's choices there perform well in the role so I switched that to a standard WB on support. Ditto for the original tactic's F9 up front - none of my strikers is great in that role so I defaulted to AFs. Most goals come from the lone striker - Rashford has 14 from 13 starts - and the Mez-att - Fernandez has 9 from 14. The wide AMs have 19 between them. Most assists come from the mezzalas - Fernandez and Eriksen (my two regular starters) have 22 assists from a combined 33 starts. But we do get goals and assists from all over the pitch.

Despite the excellent attacking threat (48 goals in 16 PL games, best in the league) we're giving up little in defence - just 11 conceded so far, second best in the league. Kudos to @Rashidifor this one, but it shows you can have a well-balanced 433 that doesn't have to be toothless in attack.

And yes, I hate that 3-3 at Bournemouth as much as you do :mad:

Can you share the pi’s? 433 is my favorite formation and I’m still a bit struggling with this years edition. 

9 hours ago, HanziZoloman said:

Just as me!

you are the workhorse in this forum and I enjoy every part of it. Great work again!

You pair well with the likes of @frukox and @bosque the first being the water carrier always filling the gaps and supporting your creative work and the latter being a Defense pivot with remarkable questions and in the right position. 

Thanks! I'm glad to know I am helping you with questions :D I enjoy all crusaderstar topics. I didn't read this one yet. I'm still reading the Jogo Bonito one. I'm a bit slow at this time of the year haha

vor 1 Stunde schrieb bosque:

Thanks! I'm glad to know I am helping you with questions :D I enjoy all crusaderstar topics. I didn't read this one yet. I'm still reading the Jogo Bonito one. I'm a bit slow at this time of the year haha

You did a great job in the clean slate topic (as the questioner and helping with the answers), I always enjoy the conversations 

On 17/12/2022 at 15:44, Skywalk3r83 said:

Can you share the pi’s?

Okay...

All midfielders and WBs are told to mark tighter.

IF-r is told to shoot less often and stay wider.

IF-l told to roam from position.

Both Mez are told to dribble more and shoot less often.

Everyone seems to be shot-happy in FM23 so the 'shoot less' instructions are an attempt to tone that down. I'd keep an eye on the wingbacks and add it for them if you see too much glory hunting.

2 hours ago, warlock said:

Okay...

All midfielders and WBs are told to mark tighter.

IF-r is told to shoot less often and stay wider.

IF-l told to roam from position.

Both Mez are told to dribble more and shoot less often.

Everyone seems to be shot-happy in FM23 so the 'shoot less' instructions are an attempt to tone that down. I'd keep an eye on the wingbacks and add it for them if you see too much glory hunting.

Thanks!!

How about the following midfield triangle:

BBM CMa

HB

play with wingbacks in a low-midblock inside forward and Inverted Winger 

I have exceptional defenders with a lot creativity and power. I have an 17 vision HB

but my midfield is rather slow and no dribblers my strikers are quick And my WB are strong.

I want to build from the back and attack the space created by a low/midblock with my quick IF/ IW

Edited by HanziZoloman