FM24 - PC/Laptop advice thread *** PLEASE READ OPENING POST BEFORE POSTING ***

38 minutes ago, Smurf said:

Upgrading the RAM is the easy thing - it would only cost about 50-70 pound to upgrade to 16gb or 32 gb RAM.

The processor is decent. 

It should do well. 

Here's what I am always telling people - you spent £700 on a laptop then another £700 on a laptop = £1400

You then realised these £700 laptops were no good - and bought a laptop for about £1500 - and it laster 10 or 12 years.

It's not really surprising. I bought a 00 Ford Fiesta for £2000 and it crapped out on me within 2 years. I bought a brand new Toyota Camry for £40,000 and I have it for the last 7 years and no issues.

It's all relative. 

============

Sorry to pick on your story - but I just thought it was highlightable give the recent posts here.

============

So to help you out - what are you looking to spend on your laptop this time around.

- for the record any laptop I've bought has lasted for about 6-9 years.

This is the best I can see for you now.

https://www.box.co.uk/30029418-Medion-Erazer-E10-Intel-Core-i5-8GB-RAM-_3554453.html

Thank you. I play on consoles will only use laptop at girlfriend at weekends for football manager and possibly playing horizon or fable via game pass  

I always thought laptops don't last long because of their cooling systems while apple macbook have better cooling systems they can stay on and just go on sleep mode etc without getting hot but things might have changed regarding how well laptops cooling systems now work etc. I know pcs are better than laptops for cooling etc just as I say I would only use it weekends 

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Colorado said:

Thanks for sharing.

How well do you think that would run FM, my knowledge is really limited but I thought i5 processors were becoming dated and 8 gb of ram wouldn't be large enough?

It'll run it well. 

It's a very good 10th gen I5 (so quite modern and capable) so will handle the game just fine. 8GB is certainly fine for FM, but if you prefer I can look for a model with 16GB RAM. 

Hi all, I’m looking to buy a new laptop for FM22. Budget is around £500-£550. Preferably a 15.6” screen and usually play with a 3D match engine if that helps.

Also have a 200 quid voucher at Currys that needs to be used soon so keep that in mind. 

Let me know your suggestions please

Good evening,

read through the replies and just want to say thanks firstly, what a great job you guys are doing helping everyone!

ive been doing some researching after falling back in love with football manager and really want to improve my gaming experience with FM22 once released.

I currently play on a very basic HP laptop (5 years old). Has 8gb RAM and AMD Radeon but the processor is naff and my laptop is slow, currently doing a factory reset to see if things speed up as FM always runs on 0.5 stars and is laggy. 

I would like to buy a new laptop/desktop around £500-1000. Ideally I want the processing speed to be the key component. 

I have seen a few good models but are there any you’d recommend to maximise my gaming experience. Happy with 3-5 leagues and rest on view only.

does it really matter if it’s Ryzen or Intel? Curious to know.

The laptop will mainly be for football manager.

thanks in advance 

Edited by Jakk Pursey

11 hours ago, roka_fm said:

Hi all, I’m looking to buy a new laptop for FM22. Budget is around £500-£550. Preferably a 15.6” screen and usually play with a 3D match engine if that helps.

Also have a 200 quid voucher at Currys that needs to be used soon so keep that in mind. 

Let me know your suggestions please

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/acer-aspire-5-a515-45-15-6-laptop-amd-ryzen-5-512-gb-ssd-black-10224421-pdt.html

10 hours ago, Jakk Pursey said:

Good evening,

read through the replies and just want to say thanks firstly, what a great job you guys are doing helping everyone!

ive been doing some researching after falling back in love with football manager and really want to improve my gaming experience with FM22 once released.

I currently play on a very basic HP laptop (5 years old). Has 8gb RAM and AMD Radeon but the processor is naff and my laptop is slow, currently doing a factory reset to see if things speed up as FM always runs on 0.5 stars and is laggy. 

I would like to buy a new laptop/desktop around £500-1000. Ideally I want the processing speed to be the key component. 

I have seen a few good models but are there any you’d recommend to maximise my gaming experience. Happy with 3-5 leagues and rest on view only.

does it really matter if it’s Ryzen or Intel? Curious to know.

The laptop will mainly be for football manager.

thanks in advance 

https://www.box.co.uk/30031907-Medion-Erazer-P25-AMD-Ryzen-5-16GB-RAM-5_3820599.html

EDIT:  Ryzen/Intel doesn't necessarily matter as such - both AMD and Intel manufacture processors of differing capability and have both good and bad.

Edited by kevhamster

14 hours ago, Tony7 said:

I always thought laptops don't last long because of their cooling systems while apple macbook have better cooling systems they can stay on and just go on sleep mode etc without getting hot

Laptops tend to have fans which can get clogged with dust. And this causes the computer to overheat. You can buy a cheap laptop stand, and avoid putting the laptop directly on carpet, bed sheets etc. as the fans suck in the dust, so use a magazine or tray, or a cheap laptop stand.

You can clear out the fans by blowing compressed air into the fans. 

Have to say - haven't cleaned the fans on my laptop in about 5 years.

Macs do have fans, but can run quieter due the entire body of the Mac being a heat sink, and it gets very hot from time to time. 

There's quite a few images online of Macs that have overheated and busted the casing. 

Hi guys, 

Great thread and I think it's a good place to get an unbiased opinion. 

Looking for a suggestion for a new laptop to replace an 8 year old HP that's absolutely on its last legs! My budget is around £2,500.  For FM I like to load a large number of leagues with good detail. The last iteration of FM I played was FM15 and I got to the year 2070 or thereabouts. Generally have all top divisions in each available European country loaded, plus some lower divisions in some of the larger profile nations.

Will also being using the laptop for work, which involves a bit of photo/video editing. Don't play any games other than FM, but the laptop will get a fair amount of usage throughout the day. Portability also not a major concern.

Thanks in advance. 

5 minutes ago, MiserableGrimbsy said:

Hi guys, 

Great thread and I think it's a good place to get an unbiased opinion. 

Looking for a suggestion for a new laptop to replace an 8 year old HP that's absolutely on its last legs! My budget is around £2,500.  For FM I like to load a large number of leagues with good detail. The last iteration of FM I played was FM15 and I got to the year 2070 or thereabouts. Generally have all top divisions in each available European country loaded, plus some lower divisions in some of the larger profile nations.

Will also being using the laptop for work, which involves a bit of photo/video editing. Don't play any games other than FM, but the laptop will get a fair amount of usage throughout the day. Portability also not a major concern.

Thanks in advance. 

https://www.box.co.uk/G513QM-HN106T-ASUS-ROG-STRIX-G15-AMD-Ryzen-9-16GB-RAM-_3569894.html

Pretty much top of the range processor, very good graphics card, 16GB RAM and 1TB storage - and well within your budget.

21 minutes ago, Mcfc1894 said:

Thinking of getting this £999 do you  think it would be okay with a lot of league's an is it good Value or can you suggest better around 1500 credit on Currys I'm able to spend

Screenshot_20211021-155527.png

For £999 that's decent.

Hey all

Following the announcement about FM touch looks like will be going back into the market for a new laptop.

TO be honest I know very little about laptops so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I was wondering if this one would run FM, particularly the match engine with out any lag?

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/gaming/pc-gaming/gaming-laptops/msi-gf65-thin-15-6-gaming-laptop-intel-core-i7-rtx-3060-512-gb-ssd-10219733-pdt.html

• Intel® Core™ i7-10750H Processor
  • RAM: 16 GB / Storage: 512 GB SSD
  • Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 6 GB
  • 208 FPS when playing Fortnite at 1080p
  • Full HD screen / 144 Hz

Thank you 

Luke

Just now, Lukecr1 said:

Hey all

Following the announcement about FM touch looks like will be going back into the market for a new laptop.

TO be honest I know very little about laptops so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I was wondering if this one would run FM, particularly the match engine with out any lag?

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/gaming/pc-gaming/gaming-laptops/msi-gf65-thin-15-6-gaming-laptop-intel-core-i7-rtx-3060-512-gb-ssd-10219733-pdt.html

Thank you 

Luke

Im no PC expert myself - however that is higher spec than my i7 - 9750H 8GB RAM and 1660Ti graphics card, and I am fairly happy with the performance of mine, that should do you for a fair few years of FM. 

3 minutes ago, GuitarMan said:

Im no PC expert myself - however that is higher spec than my i7 - 9750H 8GB RAM and 1660Ti graphics card, and I am fairly happy with the performance of mine, that should do you for a fair few years of FM. 

Thank you, very much appreciated  

WOuld it be able to run a number of leagues comfortably as well?

3 minutes ago, Lukecr1 said:

Thank you, very much appreciated  

WOuld it be able to run a number of leagues comfortably as well?

Thats a difficult one to answer as it can vary depending on the number and what you consider comfortable. 

It should be a fairly capable machine however. 

20 minutes ago, GuitarMan said:

Thats a difficult one to answer as it can vary depending on the number and what you consider comfortable. 

It should be a fairly capable machine however. 

Thank you 

To be honest I wouldnt be loading loads of playable nations anyway....at the most would be England, Spain, Italy, Germany and France 

Hi am looking for a laptop now that Touch has been kicked into touch on the iPad. Am looking one of these two. Would appreciate feedback.

ASUS TUF A15 FA506IH  AMD RYZEN 5 4600H.   GTX 1650.  8G RAM.  256GB

DELL  G15.   AMD RYZEN 5 5600H.  NVIDIA RTX 3050.  8G RAM.   256GB

1 hour ago, Lukecr1 said:

Hey all

Thank you 

Luke

That'll be grand.

44 minutes ago, Elmparker71 said:

Hi am looking for a laptop now that Touch has been kicked into touch on the iPad. Am looking one of these two. Would appreciate feedback.

ASUS TUF A15 FA506IH  AMD RYZEN 5 4600H.   GTX 1650.  8G RAM.  256GB

DELL  G15.   AMD RYZEN 5 5600H.  NVIDIA RTX 3050.  8G RAM.   256GB

Both are great - the Dell is better.  What are they priced at?

3 hours ago, kevhamster said:

https://www.box.co.uk/G513QM-HN106T-ASUS-ROG-STRIX-G15-AMD-Ryzen-9-16GB-RAM-_3569894.html

Pretty much top of the range processor, very good graphics card, 16GB RAM and 1TB storage - and well within your budget.

Thanks for the reply. Oh wow really? That's very very much inside my budget. I wouldn't be selling myself short by getting that would I? If not that's great!

15 minutes ago, MiserableGrimbsy said:

Thanks for the reply. Oh wow really? That's very very much inside my budget. I wouldn't be selling myself short by getting that would I? If not that's great!

Absolutely not.  It's basically the best CPU I can see inside a laptop currently.  Anything you'll be paying more for will likely be down to having a higher spec graphics card or possibly more RAM or storage, and the RTX 3060 is actually (considerable) overkill for FM.  16GB is plenty, and 1TB is decent as well.

Hi guys,

I'm currently using a Medion Erazer P6705.

Nothing wrong with it I'm just looking ot treat myself to an upgrade, something bigger and badder.

Would spend up to £1000, more if something was really worth it.

It will be used solely for internet browsing and FM.

Thanks in advance for any replies or suggestions :)

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/dell-inspiron-14-5415-14-laptop-amd-ryzen-5-256-gb-ssd-silver-10224993-pdt.html

what’s your thoughts on this? Surely this will be impressive on processing. I’m more keen on the loading times. Will be connecting up with a gaming monitor so not fussed on size of screen of laptop.

want to play at a high detail.

thanks again 

jakk

New FM is out! Hurray.

For years I have been playing on an old iMac desktop which has been great, but I would really like to move on to a laptop now I think.

Reading through some of these recent posts it seems an i5 or AMD Ryzen 5 is good enough and 8GB RAM is good enough to run FM.  Is that about right?

I usually have a large database, but really only have a few leagues as playable, with a load more view only.  Other than FM the laptop would really only be used for internet browsing, emails, possibly a bit of excel.

I'm thinking something like this?

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/lenovo-ideapad-3i-14-laptop-intel-core-i5-512-gb-ssd-blue-10208461-pdt.html

Would this do the job?

Thanks for your help guys.

• JordanMilly changed the title to FM22 - NEW PC/Laptop advice thread *** PLEASE READ OPENING POST BEFORE POSTING ***
21 minutes ago, elasticspuy2 said:

Hey guys, thinking of getting the macbook air m1 8gb (2020 model) will that be able to run fm22? (And Spotify?)

You're doing an amazing job helping people, thankyou so much

Yes - make sure it is the M1 based model, and not one of the older Intel based ones.

Just a word of warning though, people have reported that the Macbook Air runs quite hot when playing FM.

11 hours ago, Smurf said:

Laptops tend to have fans which can get clogged with dust. And this causes the computer to overheat. You can buy a cheap laptop stand, and avoid putting the laptop directly on carpet, bed sheets etc. as the fans suck in the dust, so use a magazine or tray, or a cheap laptop stand.

You can clear out the fans by blowing compressed air into the fans. 

Have to say - haven't cleaned the fans on my laptop in about 5 years.

Macs do have fans, but can run quieter due the entire body of the Mac being a heat sink, and it gets very hot from time to time. 

There's quite a few images online of Macs that have overheated and busted the casing. 

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/9592227

Thinking of getting that one what do you think? I did see an i7 cpu and 16gb ram but has a shared graphics card. I would only use it for football manager as I have consoles but think it's best I avoid shared graphics cards

Hello, I was considering getting a new laptop for FM21 but stuck with my 2014 mac. However I think it is finally time to get myself a new laptop. I would like to spend £600-800 potentially £1000, but this would depend on how big the jump in performance would be especially as the laptop will only really be for FM. 

Please could you send a few possible options for £600, £800 and £1000 and explanation of what a more expensive laptop could potentially provide in performance 

Thank you :) 

Edited by benhoward12

1 hour ago, Tony7 said:

Thinking of getting that one what do you think? I did see an i7 cpu and 16gb ram but has a shared graphics card. I would only use it for football manager as I have consoles but think it's best I avoid shared graphics cards

Very good - strong processor and the graphics card will manage max 3D settings without breaking a sweat.

1 hour ago, benhoward12 said:

Hello, I was considering getting a new laptop for FM21 but stuck with my 2014 mac. However I think it is finally time to get myself a new laptop. I would like to spend £600-800 potentially £1000, but this would depend on how big the jump in performance would be especially as the laptop will only really be for FM. 

Please could you send a few possible options for £600, £800 and £1000 and explanation of what a more expensive laptop could potentially provide in performance 

Thank you :) 

£600 - https://www.box.co.uk/30029418-Medion-Erazer-E10-Intel-Core-i5-8GB-RAM-_3554453.html

£800 - https://www.box.co.uk/30031834-Medion-Erazer-E25-AMD-Ryzen-5-8GB-RAM-51_3820497.html

What you're getting for the extra £200 is a more modern CPU with a sizeable leap in performance, plus a much better graphics card (although, the graphics card itself won't make any difference for FM as the card in the £600 model will easily handle 3D match graphics at max settings).

There's nothing at £1,000 I'd call a substantial enough leap in spec to consider worth recommending, especially as you don't seem sure about spending that much.  There is one laptop which has the same CPU  as the £800.00 model but with 16GB RAM and the 3060 rather than 3050 graphics card - but I can't honestly recommend the upgrade if FM is all you're using the laptop for, as 8GB is fine for FM, and the 3050 will handle the game's graphics with no issue whatsoever.

10 minutes ago, kevhamster said:

Very good - strong processor and the graphics card will manage max 3D settings without breaking a sweat.

Thank you only negative is battery only lasts 2 hours apparently. I will keep looking and have a short list but 16gb ram and good cpu it looks good 

18 minutes ago, Tony7 said:

Thank you only negative is battery only lasts 2 hours apparently. I will keep looking and have a short list but 16gb ram and good cpu it looks good 

A lot of gaming laptops will struggle to last long not plugged in.  The CPU and graphics cards tend to draw quite a lot of power.

On 20/10/2021 at 01:37, Smurf said:

My PC with 7th gen 7700hq processor 8gb ram and 1550ti loads a lot more than this. And play on high detail level.

Out of interest.... How many Countries and how many players do people normally play with? I load the most important leagues in Europe + Argentina and Brazil (11) and have places like Scandinavia, Turkey, Russia and Serbia run in the background. This was 52.000 players in FM20. 

Is there a huge difference loading more playable Countries?

7 hours ago, kevhamster said:

£600 - https://www.box.co.uk/30029418-Medion-Erazer-E10-Intel-Core-i5-8GB-RAM-_3554453.html

£800 - https://www.box.co.uk/30031834-Medion-Erazer-E25-AMD-Ryzen-5-8GB-RAM-51_3820497.html

What you're getting for the extra £200 is a more modern CPU with a sizeable leap in performance, plus a much better graphics card (although, the graphics card itself won't make any difference for FM as the card in the £600 model will easily handle 3D match graphics at max settings).

There's nothing at £1,000 I'd call a substantial enough leap in spec to consider worth recommending, especially as you don't seem sure about spending that much.  There is one laptop which has the same CPU  as the £800.00 model but with 16GB RAM and the 3060 rather than 3050 graphics card - but I can't honestly recommend the upgrade if FM is all you're using the laptop for, as 8GB is fine for FM, and the 3050 will handle the game's graphics with no issue whatsoever.

This is really helpful and appreciated, thank you very much!! 

10 hours ago, guruhd said:

New FM is out! Hurray.

For years I have been playing on an old iMac desktop which has been great, but I would really like to move on to a laptop now I think.

Reading through some of these recent posts it seems an i5 or AMD Ryzen 5 is good enough and 8GB RAM is good enough to run FM.  Is that about right?

I usually have a large database, but really only have a few leagues as playable, with a load more view only.  Other than FM the laptop would really only be used for internet browsing, emails, possibly a bit of excel.

I'm thinking something like this?

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/lenovo-ideapad-3i-14-laptop-intel-core-i5-512-gb-ssd-blue-10208461-pdt.html

Would this do the job?

Thanks for your help guys.

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/dell-inspiron-15-5502-15-6-laptop-intel-core-i5-256-gb-ssd-silver-10217071-pdt.html

I'm really liking this especially the 36 months interest free!

Will this run my game smoothly?

Thanks.

8 hours ago, Tony7 said:

That is an i5 processor. And the graphics card is strong.

Still good though.

Old laptop on its way out at the wrong time! Currently have HP with intel i5 processor (i5-6200U).

I have been looking at laptops over last day or so and wanted some advice.The options I have been looking at are

- upgrading to an i7 processor (or AMD equivalent) https://www.argos.co.uk/product/8911098?clickPR=plp:4:21

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/lenovo-ideapad-3i-14-laptop-intel-core-i7-512-gb-ssd-blue-10228904-pdt.html

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/7816204?clickPR=plp:7:55

- getting a new i5 (or equivalent) with NVIDIA graphics card built in as an upgrade https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/gaming/pc-gaming/gaming-laptops/lenovo-series-3-15-6-gaming-laptop-intel-core-i5-gtx-1650-256-gb-ssd-10205977-pdt.html

- or to buy a 11th gen i5 or similar as it comes with the built in intel graphics card. https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/hp-14s-dq2512na-14-laptop-intel-core-i5-256-gb-ssd-silver-10222231-pdt.html

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/dell-inspiron-15-5502-15-6-laptop-intel-core-i5-256-gb-ssd-silver-10217071-pdt.html

laptop uses would be mainly fm and odd streaming of tv/movies and general usage.

Price range would be £500 to £700ish.

I would be interested to know what specs/option I should aim for to make the best purchase.

thanks in advance!

Edited by kipper
Add links

11 hours ago, nexting said:

Hi guys,

I'm currently using a Medion Erazer P6705.

Nothing wrong with it I'm just looking ot treat myself to an upgrade, something bigger and badder.

Would spend up to £1000, more if something was really worth it.

It will be used solely for internet browsing and FM.

Thanks in advance for any replies or suggestions :)

Feel like this got missed…

1 hour ago, guruhd said:

I'm really liking this especially the 36 months interest free!

Will this run my game smoothly?

Thanks.

It'll be decent.   Doesn't have a dedicated graphics card, but the integrated graphics on the 11th gen i5's are decent so should manage the 3D graphics at medium settings or higher.

17 hours ago, kevhamster said:

Appreciate that Kevhamster.

Im thinking about buying this tbh, and maybe getting the 17inch screen version. Is there any difference other than the screen size?

12 minutes ago, nexting said:

Appreciate that Kevhamster.

Im thinking about buying this tbh, and maybe getting the 17inch screen version. Is there any difference other than the screen size?

Can you send me the link to the 17" version so I can check it out please?