FM24 - PC/Laptop advice thread *** PLEASE READ OPENING POST BEFORE POSTING ***

17 minutes ago, Rivanov said:

I don't do heavy duty things. Some light use of Final Cut Pro, Lightroom Classic etc.
But not work related. It will be primarily used for casual browsing, e-mail, Football Manager etc.
I also intent to use Parallels Desktop .. so that's why I'm debatting about the RAM.

But I also read that Apple Silicon uses RAM in a different way than "traditional" PC's. So that on a normal PC, 16GB would be the bare minimum .. while on Apple Silicon it's overkill for most of the tasks?

But I want to use it for several years .. so I don't want to regret it.

Apple uses unified RAM - they aren't the first to do it. And they only did this to speed up their own processor - I'm not sure by how much, but the M1 runs quite well compared to other high end (more affordable Intel/AMD processors running with DDR4 RAM).

You can't replace the RAM in Macs or anything else, so if it's bust it's bust, there's no replacing parts.

By the sounds of it - it's a huge gigantic waste of money - you don't need all that - if you're buying one to look cool then great. 

You'd get a laptop for half the price and spend the rest on sweets.

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm an Apple fanboy and I have only Apple hardware for 10+ years now. ;)

But this will be my first Apple Silicion based Mac .. so that's why I'm curious if the RAM difference between 16GB or 32GB will be a very big one for the coming years.

2 minutes ago, Smurf said:

Apple uses unified RAM - they aren't the first to do it. And they only did this to speed up their own processor - I'm not sure by how much, but the M1 runs quite well compared to other high end (more affordable Intel/AMD processors running with DDR4 RAM).

You can't replace the RAM in Macs or anything else, so if it's bust it's bust, there's no replacing parts.

By the sounds of it - it's a huge gigantic waste of money - you don't need all that - if you're buying one to look cool then great. 

You'd get a laptop for half the price and spend the rest on sweets.

@Rivanov

Sorry - missed the part about Final Cut Pro.

Yes you'll need a Mac for this - but there's equivalent on Windows. 

Just now, Rivanov said:

I'm an Apple fanboy and I have only Apple hardware for 10+ years now. ;)

But this will be my first Apple Silicion based Mac .. so that's why I'm curious if the RAM difference between 16GB or 32GB will be a very big one for the coming years.

Impossible to tell how Apple are going with this. 

If you want to get the 32gb and can afford it - then get it. 

Because you won't be able to upgrade it - so get it now if you want it.

When the M1 macs came out last year (or was it this year?) all the Apple 'fanboys' (as you call yourself) were singing it's praises. I remember questioning it only have 8gb RAM - and they all said you'll never need it with these new processors and unified RAM. Here we are a year later and they are releasing models with 32gb RAM.

I guess they more RAM in them after all. 

Who knows what will happen next year. 

Seems like the Apple Ecosystem is hellbent on sucking in people for more and more money every year, without fail.

1 hour ago, Smurf said:

8gb is plenty really - 16gb is very nice.

32gb - like an ashtray on a motorbike. 

Getting only 8gb is only just enough these days, and is soon going to be not enough. Minimum RAM now should be 16gb, and as you’ve mentioned about affording 32 if you can.

If your using 8gb of RAM in graphic design, your wait times for processing must be large. Especially if you have multiple programs open.

2 minutes ago, Sonic Youth said:

Getting only 8gb is only just enough these days, and is soon going to be not enough. Minimum RAM now should be 16gb, and as you’ve mentioned about affording 32 if you can.

If your using 8gb of RAM in graphic design, your wait times for processing must be large. Especially if you have multiple programs open.

Smurf is referring specifically to RAM requirements purely for FM.  

1 minute ago, kevhamster said:

Smurf is referring specifically to RAM requirements purely for FM.  

I still think 16gbs should be the minimum you go for in a computer these days if buying for FM or other uses, and even go for 32gbs + if you can afford it. It’s reasonably cheap to upgrade a system from 8 to 16 as well.

Programs are becoming more memory hungry and 8 gbs is only going to slow the system down. Plus, it can have an affect in boost the 3D engine by raising the FPS rate if using integrated graphics.

2 minutes ago, Sonic Youth said:

I still think 16gbs should be the minimum you go for in a computer these days if buying for FM or other uses, and even go for 32gbs + if you can afford it. It’s reasonably cheap to upgrade a system from 8 to 16 as well.

Programs are becoming more memory hungry and 8 gbs is only going to slow the system down. Plus, it can have an affect in boost the 3D engine by raising the FPS rate if using integrated graphics.

The amount of memory will have less of an impact when it comes to performance then memory configuration - for FM, if I had to choose between 8GB in dual channel mode or 16GB in single channel, I'd go for the 8GB option.

For other uses, yes 16GB is certainly preferable.  But purely for FM, 8GB is plenty.  You can even get away with 4GB (although I certainly wouldn't recommend going under 8GB if at all possible within your budget).

6 minutes ago, kevhamster said:

The amount of memory will have less of an impact when it comes to performance then memory configuration - for FM, if I had to choose between 8GB in dual channel mode or 16GB in single channel, I'd go for the 8GB option.

For other uses, yes 16GB is certainly preferable.  But purely for FM, 8GB is plenty.  You can even get away with 4GB (although I certainly wouldn't recommend going under 8GB if at all possible within your budget).

If another program is likely to be run at the same time as FM, than 8gbs is not enough. How many people play music through their computer, have a web browser open or some other program open while playing FM/doing other work on their system? Does the editor take up RAM as well?

9 minutes ago, Sonic Youth said:

If another program is likely to be run at the same time as FM, than 8gbs is not enough. How many people play music through their computer, have a web browser open or some other program open while playing FM/doing other work on their system? Does the editor take up RAM as well?

Having played FM21 on a laptop with only 8GB RAM myself quite recently, I can assure you 8GB is absolutely enough for FM.

2 minutes ago, 3LionsFM said:

Is buying a laptop with an i5 generation processor for FM22 and a couple other games decent?

It won't be great in all honesty (most likely) but to know for sure, you'd need to provide the full spec of the machine and say what other games you're wanting to run,

You can get the spec of your machine as text file by following the instructions here (up to step 7 - the rest is only relevant if you're submitting a report to Bethesda, which is obviously not relevant for FM): 

https://help.bethesda.net/app/answers/detail/a_id/25236/~/how-do-i-find-my-dxdiag-file%3F

Just now, kevhamster said:

It won't be great in all honesty (most likely) but to know for sure, you'd need to provide the full spec of the machine and say what other games you're wanting to run,

You can get the spec of your machine as text file by following the instructions here (up to step 7 - the rest is only relevant if you're submitting a report to Bethesda, which is obviously not relevant for FM): 

https://help.bethesda.net/app/answers/detail/a_id/25236/~/how-do-i-find-my-dxdiag-file%3F

Would this be a better choice that I've just asked Smurf about? https://www.argos.co.uk/product/9597002?clickSR=slp:term:acer nitro 5:2:21:1

24 minutes ago, kevhamster said:

Having played FM21 on a laptop with only 8GB RAM myself quite recently, I can assure you 8GB is absolutely enough for FM.

Depends on how many leagues you load and the level of detail wanted. 8gbs is what I run on a laptop as well. Although the chip (i5 8th gen) is not helping here either :(

Looking at new laptop and would be going for i7-11th gen/maybe equivalent ryzen though not as familiar with, 16-32gb, graphics card (haven’t worked this out yet). Not sure how much choice in MB you get with a laptop though hopefully one with a high thread count.

Can’t work out what the difference with the brands are (Dell/Lenovo/MSI/ASUS etc) and if it’s just the look and style of hardware, or if the set-up also differs.

3 minutes ago, Sonic Youth said:

Depends on how many leagues you load and the level of detail wanted. 8gbs is what I run on a laptop as well. Although the chip (i5 8th gen) is not helping here either :(

Looking at new laptop and would be going for i7-11th gen/maybe equivalent ryzen though not as familiar with, 16-32gb, graphics card (haven’t worked this out yet). Not sure how much choice in MB you get with a laptop though hopefully one with a high thread count.

Can’t work out what the difference with the brands are (Dell/Lenovo/MSI/ASUS etc) and if it’s just the look and style of hardware, or if the set-up also differs.

Honestly, the RAM is not the issue (unless it's single channel, which will impact things). It's pretty much all the CPU. 

In terms of brands, all the ones you mentioned are decent enough. 

If you're looking for a new laptop, say what your budget is and what else aside from FM you want to use it for and I'll have a look at what's available. 

On 11/11/2020 at 07:11, Bryce11 said:

Hi guys,

Thanks for setting up such an excellent and helpful forum.

I'm not very technical when it comes to these things but wanted to possible get back to playing FM rather than FMMoble and wanted to know if my laptop will handle FM21 before splashing out £35 and it doesn't.

I have a MacBook Air Retina 13" 2019  

1.6 GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i5 (this may not be enough from what I gather but would 1 country work?)

8 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3

Intel UHD Graphics 617 1536 MB

With currently 42GB of 120GB free

One country (of leagues) will be fine for me if that's all it'll handle (obviously would prefer more) and I prefer the 2D match option than 3D (I'm a little old school in that way).

Appreciate any advice!

Thanks,

Bryce

I have the same Mac but with 16GB ram and played FM 20 with 11 loaded Countries and 52.000 players. Graphics at low resolution. I found it fine to play on. 

Not looking for a laptop but if anyone spots any good desktop deals, please share. I'm not entirely sure what sort of setup I need, but I don't use PC for gaming other than FM, so don't need high end graphics etc.

I would like to be able to run quite a large db without it struggling.

3 hours ago, Sonic Youth said:

For most people 8gb is enough 

Ive been on the verge of 16gb minimum for about 2 years now 

32gb is overkill.

3 hours ago, Sonic Youth said:

I run InDesign, Photoshop and illustrator on a travel laptop with 8gb ram and play fm.

Include chrome, and other apps running from time to time. 

I could be travelling for long hours. Never had an issue.

It works ok for me 

46 minutes ago, coppicat said:

I have the same Mac but with 16GB ram and played FM 20 with 11 loaded Countries and 52.000 players. Graphics at low resolution. I found it fine to play on. 

My PC with 7th gen 7700hq processor 8gb ram and 1550ti loads a lot more than this. And play on high detail level.

27 minutes ago, Colorado said:

Not looking for a laptop but if anyone spots any good desktop deals, please share. I'm not entirely sure what sort of setup I need, but I don't use PC for gaming other than FM, so don't need high end graphics etc.

I would like to be able to run quite a large db without it struggling.

What's the budget

6 hours ago, Smurf said:

Impossible to tell how Apple are going with this. 

If you want to get the 32gb and can afford it - then get it. 

Because you won't be able to upgrade it - so get it now if you want it.

When the M1 macs came out last year (or was it this year?) all the Apple 'fanboys' (as you call yourself) were singing it's praises. I remember questioning it only have 8gb RAM - and they all said you'll never need it with these new processors and unified RAM. Here we are a year later and they are releasing models with 32gb RAM.

I guess they more RAM in them after all. 

Who knows what will happen next year. 

Seems like the Apple Ecosystem is hellbent on sucking in people for more and more money every year, without fail.

Your obsession with putting down Apple is getting a bit weird mate. You’re not alone though. Anywhere on the internet when someone says they’re considering buying a Mac, someone pops up telling them they shouldn’t.

The 8GB M1 Air is more computing power than 95%+ of people will ever need (setting aside gaming for a moment) in an incredibly lightweight, portable package with quite incredible battery life. THAT is the use case where people were saying that 8GB is enough. Because it was. That includes FM by the way. Having used an M1 Air for non-work related use for the last 6 months, it runs it fast with a big db, and smoothly on High graphical settings.

Now they’re releasing machines with more RAM and much more powerful processors for a specific audience. The clue is in the name, and in every single use case they highlighted in the keynote.

The new Pro machines will be quite incredible for the people they’re aimed at. The top end (M1 Max) has similar performance to an i9 with RTX3080 (not to mention the mini led screen etc), but it’s aimed at professionals, not gamers (after all, there’s a limited number of high end games on the Max.

Quite why you think Apple are “suckering people in” is just odd, because every single mention of these new processors in their literature is accompanied by the word “Pro”, and is demonstrated using professional workflows. If people decide to buy them for other purposes, that’s their right, but to claim they were “suckered” just isn’t true.

13 minutes ago, TopToffee said:

Your obsession with putting down Apple is getting a bit weird mate. You’re not alone though. Anywhere on the internet when someone says they’re considering buying a Mac, someone pops up telling them they shouldn’t.

The 8GB M1 Air is more computing power than 95%+ of people will ever need (setting aside gaming for a moment) in an incredibly lightweight, portable package with quite incredible battery life. THAT is the use case where people were saying that 8GB is enough. Because it was. That includes FM by the way. Having used an M1 Air for non-work related use for the last 6 months, it runs it fast with a big db, and smoothly on High graphical settings.

Now they’re releasing machines with more RAM and much more powerful processors for a specific audience. The clue is in the name, and in every single use case they highlighted in the keynote.

The new Pro machines will be quite incredible for the people they’re aimed at. The top end (M1 Max) has similar performance to an i9 with RTX3080 (not to mention the mini led screen etc), but it’s aimed at professionals, not gamers (after all, there’s a limited number of high end games on the Max.

Quite why you think Apple are “suckering people in” is just odd, because every single mention of these new processors in their literature is accompanied by the word “Pro”, and is demonstrated using professional workflows. If people decide to buy them for other purposes, that’s their right, but to claim they were “suckered” just isn’t true.

1) Smurf has actually been quite complimentary about the performance of the M1 based macs in other comments - however his comments here are quite justified if read in the context they're intended.  Smurf even owns Macs and uses them for his work.  Fact is, however good the M1 Macs are (and they are very good based on the benchmarks we've seen and feedback given by people who have used them), they are still overpriced when compared to equivalently specced Windows based machines.

2) This isn't the thread for this.  This is literally meant as a way of helping people get a computer to suit their needs and budget.

Edited by kevhamster

Hi,

Been looking for new laptop, my budget is a bit limited, I know CPU is the most important part. What do you guys think of AMD Ryzen 5 3500U ?

Full specification is:

Lenovo IdeaPad 3  15ADA05

AMD Ryzen 5 3500U

8 GB RAM

512 GB SSD

Amd Radeon Vega 8

I always play about 10-15 leagues with big database, and I play 3 teams at one save. Usually no more than 10-15 seasons. Also I play only 2D, don't like 3D.

1 hour ago, TopToffee said:

the people they’re aimed at.

The people they're aimed at are the clueless. And I mean either corporates where spending 6k or 10k on a computer without blinking, for 1000 employees.

The price is extortionate no matter what way you twist it.

I have worked in Mac's and PCs for about 25 years. I always bought Mac's until PCs went from office computers to more gaming type.

I actually really dislike the Mac OS, it's personal for me. I much prefer the Windows platform. But that's a personal choice.

The only problem I have with Mac is the price. When someone asks about buying a Mac I tell them the absolute truth. 25 years' experience.

Ive actually fixed Mac's from hardware to software more often than I care to remember. I worked production in prepress (printing) running Mac's ran the entire office with 20 Mac's and had to keep them all running smoothly, any downtime was a costly 500 quid an hour per computer.

And they went down a lot.

And the cost of repair and the cost of buying new machines was very expensive from a personal point of view, but not a business type of view.

So when someone comes on here looking to buy a Mac for personal use, I tell them the truth.

You can buy a better Window spec machine for well under half the price of a Mac that would outperform it.

It's not a vendetta against Mac's.

It's the best financial option for people personally buying a computer for football manager.

Im well aware how good Mac's are. I'm also well aware that any computer priced 1899 and above is also equally as good if not better.

My goal here is that people make smart financial buys.

3 hours ago, gggfunk said:

Hi,

Been looking for new laptop, my budget is a bit limited, I know CPU is the most important part. What do you guys think of AMD Ryzen 5 3500U ?

Full specification is:

Lenovo IdeaPad 3  15ADA05

AMD Ryzen 5 3500U

8 GB RAM

512 GB SSD

Amd Radeon Vega 8

I always play about 10-15 leagues with big database, and I play 3 teams at one save. Usually no more than 10-15 seasons. Also I play only 2D, don't like 3D.

What's your budget? 

The 3500u will certainly run the game, but I can tell you from experience with the 2500u which performs virtually identically that it will chug a bit, especially with a larger database. 

10 hours ago, TopToffee said:

Apologies if my previous reply came across a bit snooty or whatever. 

But I never said someone shouldn't buy a Mac - I'm 100% behind buying a Mac if it makes sense for the user.

If the only use is basic internet, netflix and playing FM - then it's a lot of money. 

I hope I explained myself and my motives enough for you to understand - I'm not slating Apple.

Just their pricing model. They are very expensive for what they are.

2 hours ago, gggfunk said:

Hi, thanks for the reply.
I live in Poland, my budget is up to 3k PLN (about 500-600 pounds)

What do you think about this?
https://www.mediaexpert.pl/komputery-i-tablety/laptopy-i-ultrabooki/laptopy/notebook-hp-pavilion-r7-4700u-8gb-512ssd-radeon-15-6-w10-gold

Is AMD Ryzen 7 4700U much better than 3500u?

It's decent, especially if you're not planning on playing modern AAA games.  Good processor, decent integrated graphics capability.

And yes, the R7 4700U is a significant improvement over the R5 3500U.

13 hours ago, Smurf said:

What's the budget

I don't really want to spend more than £1k. Ideally around £700, but I'm not sure how realistic that is.

I don't have the expertise or time to learn to build one, although I understand that is a usually cheaper option.

11 minutes ago, Colorado said:

I don't really want to spend more than £1k. Ideally around £700, but I'm not sure how realistic that is.

I don't have the expertise or time to learn to build one, although I understand that is a usually cheaper option.

https://ao.com/product/3xs118091-3xs-desktop-black-87589-253.aspx

Edited by kevhamster

29 minutes ago, kevhamster said:

It's decent, especially if you're not planning on playing modern AAA games.  Good processor, decent integrated graphics capability.

And yes, the R7 4700U is a significant improvement over the R5 3500U.

Thanks man, really appreciate the opinion.
I'll go for the laptop with R7 then.

4 hours ago, Smurf said:

Apologies if my previous reply came across a bit snooty or whatever. 

But I never said someone shouldn't buy a Mac - I'm 100% behind buying a Mac if it makes sense for the user.

If the only use is basic internet, netflix and playing FM - then it's a lot of money. 

I hope I explained myself and my motives enough for you to understand - I'm not slating Apple.

Just their pricing model. They are very expensive for what they are.

I use a windows laptop for work and a macbook air at home. For work I much prefer a windows laptop and for entertainment purposes I much prefer my nimble Air at home. Use to be a windows only guy but that Macbook Air is just a great little machine which makes the windows laptop seem clumsy and I have no need for a tablet. Horses for courses I guess.  

Hi,

With FM Touch leaving Apple, I'll be dusting of my laptop again, I've not played full FM in a couple of years, but I'm feeling tempted back in again this year to go for the full version rather than FM Xbox, so hope it's ok that this post is regarding an existing laptop rather than a new one, but just want to check it'll handle FM22 ok? Or if i should be looking to upgrade.

I've got a:

Dell Inspiron 15 5000 Series

Intel Core i5 8th Gen (8520U)

8GB RAM

In terms of Graphics cards I seem to have 2:

Intel UHD Graphics 620

Radeon (TM) 530

Thanks

4 minutes ago, coppicat said:

I use a windows laptop for work and a macbook air at home. For work I much prefer a windows laptop and for entertainment purposes I much prefer my nimble Air at home. Use to be a windows only guy but that Macbook Air is just a great little machine which makes the windows laptop seem clumsy and I have no need for a tablet. Horses for courses I guess.  

I'm both too. I think it's courses for horses in this scenario. 

Again - I'm all for buying a Mac if it's the financially viable option for people coming here.

But I will always need to ask do they really need a Mac - and I'll always tell them they can get an equal if not better computer for less money.
Which is factual.

That's literally all this thread is about.  I've posted laptops here I've found and someone else found the exact same one for 100 quid cheaper somewhere else.  Great find. 

I don't recommend the Mac for people because it's extremely pricey. It's rare that someone comes here with more than £1000 to spend.  It's usually the £400-£800 range. 

5 minutes ago, Lozzer83 said:

Hi,

With FM Touch leaving Apple, I'll be dusting of my laptop again, I've not played full FM in a couple of years, but I'm feeling tempted back in again this year to go for the full version rather than FM Xbox, so hope it's ok that this post is regarding an existing laptop rather than a new one, but just want to check it'll handle FM22 ok? Or if i should be looking to upgrade.

I've got a:

Dell Inspiron 15 5000 Series

Intel Core i5 8th Gen (8520U)

8GB RAM

In terms of Graphics cards I seem to have 2:

Intel UHD Graphics 620

Radeon (TM) 530

Thanks

The base speed is below the minimum for FM, but has a boost speed above - if it worked for previous FM editions, it should still work for FM22 as well.  It's not going to be a massively fast performance, but in reality it really should run the game.

If you're unsure, my suggestion would be to try the demo once it's out and see how you find it.

Also, make sure you're using the Radeon graphics card, as that's a dedicated graphics card and so will handle the 3D graphics much better than the Intel UHD 620.

1 minute ago, kevhamster said:

The base speed is below the minimum for FM, but has a boost speed above - if it worked for previous FM editions, it should still work for FM22 as well.  It's not going to be a massively fast performance, but in reality it really should run the game.

If you're unsure, my suggestion would be to try the demo once it's out and see how you find it.

Also, make sure you're using the Radeon graphics card, as that's a dedicated graphics card and so will handle the 3D graphics much better than the Intel UHD 620.

Thanks very much, appreciate the feedback. Maybe a dumb question but how do I ensure it's using the Radeon card?

I want to play all the leagues from England, France, Holland, Italy, Spain, Germany, Scotland, Turkey, portrugal withh maximum database. I did think about using laptop for horizon and other xbox games but its not essential just want to play football manager but if I get 120hz from xbox games it's just a nice bonus 

How much do I need to look at spending and do laptops last a few years? I bought 2 laptops about 20 years ago £700 each and they only lasted me around 15 months while macbook lasted me 10 or 12 years but I'm not paying that much for a laptop

I know pc is better value but looking at playing on laptop when at girlfirend wekeends she can then watch TV while I play football manager. Thank you in advance 

Hi all. 

Looking for some advice for a new laptop as mine is coming to an abrupt end its mainly for FM and a bit of work now and again. Just basically wanting to play with a high number of leagues with a large database and it being able to run quick and smooth not to fussed about 2D/3D match engines my budget is around £650 

Any help would be greatly appreciated 

43 minutes ago, Colorado said:

Thanks for sharing.

How well do you think that would run FM, my knowledge is really limited but I thought i5 processors were becoming dated and 8 gb of ram wouldn't be large enough?

Upgrading the RAM is the easy thing - it would only cost about 50-70 pound to upgrade to 16gb or 32 gb RAM.

The processor is decent. 

It should do well. 

1 hour ago, Tony7 said:

I want to play all the leagues from England, France, Holland, Italy, Spain, Germany, Scotland, Turkey, portrugal withh maximum database. I did think about using laptop for horizon and other xbox games but its not essential just want to play football manager but if I get 120hz from xbox games it's just a nice bonus 

How much do I need to look at spending and do laptops last a few years? I bought 2 laptops about 20 years ago £700 each and they only lasted me around 15 months while macbook lasted me 10 or 12 years but I'm not paying that much for a laptop

I know pc is better value but looking at playing on laptop when at girlfirend wekeends she can then watch TV while I play football manager. Thank you in advance 

Here's what I am always telling people - you spent £700 on a laptop then another £700 on a laptop = £1400

You then realised these £700 laptops were no good - and bought a laptop for about £1500 - and it laster 10 or 12 years.

It's not really surprising. I bought a 00 Ford Fiesta for £2000 and it crapped out on me within 2 years. I bought a brand new Toyota Camry for £40,000 and I have it for the last 7 years and no issues.

It's all relative. 

============

Sorry to pick on your story - but I just thought it was highlightable give the recent posts here.

============

So to help you out - what are you looking to spend on your laptop this time around.

- for the record any laptop I've bought has lasted for about 6-9 years.

3 minutes ago, LeeW24 said:

Hi all. 

Looking for some advice for a new laptop as mine is coming to an abrupt end its mainly for FM and a bit of work now and again. Just basically wanting to play with a high number of leagues with a large database and it being able to run quick and smooth not to fussed about 2D/3D match engines my budget is around £650 

Any help would be greatly appreciated 

This is the best I can see for you now.

https://www.box.co.uk/30029418-Medion-Erazer-E10-Intel-Core-i5-8GB-RAM-_3554453.html