FM24 - PC/Laptop advice thread *** PLEASE READ OPENING POST BEFORE POSTING ***

3 hours ago, Delicate Dave said:

As I said before I would always go the processor before the graphics. Most people seem to want to run all the leagues, that needs a fast processor. The problem with only having 500 euro (£430) is your likely to be looking at processors that are around old stock. For that reason, I would recommend the second-hand market where you'll get a better price for the same thing. You can shop for processor & GPU combinations and maybe have some spare cash left to up the memory or SSD card even.

Purely as an example - this is what I use now, it's old but I can load all the leagues playable. Yes, there is a short lag but only when moving from day to day when it's calculating the results around the world. Ignore the price, you can get this model for less than 200 euro - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/384905970595 What you could do is go on MSI website and and look for the next versions of this till you hit one you can afford. Just an idea.

Thank you i will have a look:-)

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 21/04/2024 at 09:38, Delicate Dave said:

As I said before I would always go the processor before the graphics. Most people seem to want to run all the leagues, that needs a fast processor. The problem with only having 500 euro (£430) is your likely to be looking at processors that are around old stock. For that reason, I would recommend the second-hand market where you'll get a better price for the same thing. You can shop for processor & GPU combinations and maybe have some spare cash left to up the memory or SSD card even.

Purely as an example - this is what I use now, it's old but I can load all the leagues playable. Yes, there is a short lag but only when moving from day to day when it's calculating the results around the world. Ignore the price, you can get this model for less than 200 euro - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/384905970595 What you could do is go on MSI website and and look for the next versions of this till you hit one you can afford. Just an idea.

@josuts just to clarify, the performance of the processor on that link is about 30-40% slower than that of a modern Ryzen 5 or i5 in a £500 laptop. Yes it was top of the line when released, but that was almost a decade ago.

On 21/04/2024 at 09:53, Smurf said:

Absolutely cannot guarantee that at all - no idea what FM 25 specs are

Well no, but as anyone can see I don't make the claim you're implying. I said "much more likely". Personally I'd be shocked if an FM was released in the next few years that didn't work at least on low detail settings with a laptop 2050. Given historical hardware targets for this series I don't think that's an unreasonable point of view.

36 minutes ago, Gangor said:

@josuts just to clarify, the performance of the processor on that link is about 30-40% slower than that of a modern Ryzen 5 or i5 in a £500 laptop. Yes it was top of the line when released, but that was almost a decade ago.

Well worth pointing out, I merely gave the person a point at which to start - That being a laptop that now runs FM24 all leagues loaded playable. I also stated the price at which this could be had 200 euros or less. From there he can research newer laptops with better specs up to his budget and know his playtime will be reasonably smooth. Also, I agree with your next post - if FM24 doesn't run on even the old CPU I posted then their customer base will be cut in half. I know I certainly won't be spend £1000 or more to run FM25. Also I think we are coming to the end of the period where games forced the advance of computers, and the advances in interactions get lower each year. 

Hello everyone and thank you for your proposals! I spend some more money and order online  this one

Asus TUF Gaming A15 FA506NF-HN016W 15.6" FHD 144Hz (Ryzen 5-7535HS/16GB/512GB SSD/GeForce RTX 2050/W11 Home)

Hope its good for FM:-)

37 minutes ago, josuts said:

Hello everyone and thank you for your proposals! I spend some more money and order online  this one

Asus TUF Gaming A15 FA506NF-HN016W 15.6" FHD 144Hz (Ryzen 5-7535HS/16GB/512GB SSD/GeForce RTX 2050/W11 Home)

Will definitely be fine for FM24, would be surprised if it also wasn't ok for FM25.

3 hours ago, kevhamster said:

Will definitely be fine for FM24, would be surprised if it also wasn't ok for FM25.

sounds great then! next days when i receive it i will know more for sure!:-)

5 hours ago, josuts said:

Sure it will be and you did well to get that for 500 euro ;-)

10 hours ago, Delicate Dave said:

Sure it will be and you did well to get that for 500 euro ;-)

Actually i order it new and costs around 900 euro

Hi I’m just about to get a new desk top and wondering if any of you tecs think this is worth it ? 

3XS Core 4060 RGB Gaming Tower - NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060, AMD Ryzen™ 5, 1 TB SSD - Black
its £999 but you get a free 26” monitor a free keyboard and free headset with it

Hello,

im building a new pc around the AMD platform.

I already have my RX7800xt and I need some advice regarding what CPU to get.

The Cpu-s I was looking at are: 

Ryzen 7800x3d and Ryzen 7900.

Football manager is the game I play the most, by far. So which of these two do you recommend I should get?

7900 is much better at productivity and 7800x3d has V-cache that is good for gaming.

I have observed both FM23 and FM24 benchmark threads and im still not sure what to get.

I don`t use my PC for any other use but netflix and web browsing and some gaming.

thx in advance

2 hours ago, vex385 said:

Hello,

im building a new pc around the AMD platform.

I already have my RX7800xt and I need some advice regarding what CPU to get.

The Cpu-s I was looking at are: 

Ryzen 7800x3d and Ryzen 7900.

Football manager is the game I play the most, by far. So which of these two do you recommend I should get?

7900 is much better at productivity and 7800x3d has V-cache that is good for gaming.

I have observed both FM23 and FM24 benchmark threads and im still not sure what to get.

I don`t use my PC for any other use but netflix and web browsing and some gaming.

thx in advance

I believe threads are more important than cache for FM from what I can tell from the benchmark thread. You could of course compromise with the 7900x3d? 

Having said this I think I'd personally be more tempted by the 7800x3d for a purely gaming PC.

yeah, 7800x3d is better at gaming but 90% of time i play football manager or civilization.

7900x3d is more expensive where I live so I think im going to stick to one of this two.

On 27/04/2024 at 10:09, wally13 said:

Hi I’m just about to get a new desk top and wondering if any of you tecs think this is worth it ? 

3XS Core 4060 RGB Gaming Tower - NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060, AMD Ryzen™ 5, 1 TB SSD - Black
its £999 but you get a free 26” monitor a free keyboard and free headset with it

Without knowing which Ryzen 5 CPU it is I wouldn't really like to say.  Can you post a link to the full spec please?

2 hours ago, kevhamster said:

Without knowing which Ryzen 5 CPU it is I wouldn't really like to say.  Can you post a link to the full spec please?

Hi cheers for reply it’s 

• Dedicated GeForce® RTX™ 4060 8GB graphics
  • AMD Ryzen™ 5 5500 processor with 6 cores
  • 16GB of DDR4 RAM - run the most demanding software
  • the reviews I’ve seen on the processor seem really good 
Edited by wally13

Hi All, I have read the opening post and totally understand no one can give 100% answers. So I have dipped in and out of football manager since the days or Championship manager (yes, yes I am old). I now have a 7 year old son who over the last 9 months has become football obsessed, He has a PS5 for his Fifa (FC now actually) Games, and I did buy him FM console,  but he refuses to go any other team than the one we support (Carlisle united unfortunately), I find that the console version is harder to control and he is finding it too hard, to help him enjoy it a little bit more I am looking at buying him one if the mini Pcs (intel NUC or like the small Lenovo / HP) and hook it up to the tv in his room, This way I can load the save up in FMRTE, give him some money, maybe send a few of his fav players like Mbappe, Ronaldo over to Carlisle, then hope that if he starts winning, he will enjoy it, then in turn learn to play properly. 

Now I recently got myself a NUC but I got a new  13th gen i7 and the brief play I have had the game plays perfectly, so I know the small form factor isn't a bottleneck for heat or anything, however after buying myself one, buying him one is waaayyyyyyy out my budget, also the fact he is 7........ and if he still doesnt play it much, I dont want to lose alot of money. 

A few machines I have been looking at are slightly older i3 and i5 machines, around generation 6, so like a i5 6500T or i did see a celeron N5095, most machines have had 4/8gb Ram (probably cheap and easy to upgrade to 16 if needed) 

I will probably only be loading main English leagues, maybe a couple main leagues like Spain or France. The machines I have looked at are all "above" minimum spec, but just wondering about a rough guide to the gameplay if anyone has played on similar. I would happily buy him a laptop or better machine over time if he does become addicted (like he is to fifa) but just after a general consensus and a "dont go Celeron route" or make sure its over a gen 8 i3....... 

The ones i have been looking at are second hand, small for factor as he only has a small room, and all around the £75-£100, i may go slightly higher but would rather not.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Houghton19

46 minutes ago, Houghton19 said:

Hi All, I have read the opening post and totally understand no one can give 100% answers. So I have dipped in and out of football manager since the days or Championship manager (yes, yes I am old). I now have a 7 year old son who over the last 9 months has become football obsessed, He has a PS5 for his Fifa (FC now actually) Games, and I did buy him FM console,  but he refuses to go any other team than the one we support (Carlisle united unfortunately), I find that the console version is harder to control and he is finding it too hard, to help him enjoy it a little bit more I am looking at buying him one if the mini Pcs (intel NUC or like the small Lenovo / HP) and hook it up to the tv in his room, This way I can load the save up in FMRTE, give him some money, maybe send a few of his fav players like Mbappe, Ronaldo over to Carlisle, then hope that if he starts winning, he will enjoy it, then in turn learn to play properly. 

Now I recently got myself a NUC but I got a new  13th gen i7 and the brief play I have had the game plays perfectly, so I know the small form factor isn't a bottleneck for heat or anything, however after buying myself one, buying him one is waaayyyyyyy out my budget, also the fact he is 7........ and if he still doesnt play it much, I dont want to lose alot of money. 

A few machines I have been looking at are slightly older i3 and i5 machines, around generation 6, so like a i5 6500T or i did see a celeron N5095, most machines have had 4/8gb Ram (probably cheap and easy to upgrade to 16 if needed) 

I will probably only be loading main English leagues, maybe a couple main leagues like Spain or France. The machines I have looked at are all "above" minimum spec, but just wondering about a rough guide to the gameplay if anyone has played on similar. I would happily buy him a laptop or better machine over time if he does become addicted (like he is to fifa) but just after a general consensus and a "dont go Celeron route" or make sure its over a gen 8 i3....... 

The ones i have been looking at are second hand, small for factor as he only has a small room, and all around the £75-£100, i may go slightly higher but would rather not.

Thanks in advance.

I suspect the problem you will have is finding one at that price with a suitable graphics card, as that alone would cost £100 or more. Might well be better to look for a secondhand laptop, perhaps one with the screen not working even. I've said on other thread I use a 2008 laptop with 8th gen i7 and a GeForce GTX 1050 4gb. That runs the FM24 with all the leagues just about comfortable. But I've also run a few leagues with an older i5 with a GTX 950M. I would go below that.

41 minutes ago, Delicate Dave said:

I suspect the problem you will have is finding one at that price with a suitable graphics card, as that alone would cost £100 or more. Might well be better to look for a secondhand laptop, perhaps one with the screen not working even. I've said on other thread I use a 2008 laptop with 8th gen i7 and a GeForce GTX 1050 4gb. That runs the FM24 with all the leagues just about comfortable. But I've also run a few leagues with an older i5 with a GTX 950M. I would go below that.

Thanks for that, I hadn't actually ever thought about getting a laptop with a fauty screen!!!!! just out of curiosity, what rough settings would you be able to run with an integrated Intel® UHD Graphics 620 or similar? might make him use the old 2d circles i had to endure in my golden days!!!! 

another idea, I am just in the process of selling my old desktop, i7 6700K, with ASUS ROG motherboard, I could re house into a smaller case, but then I would struggle with the getting the graphics card I have in it into a smaller case.....

Edited by Houghton19

56 minutes ago, Houghton19 said:

Thanks for that, I hadn't actually ever thought about getting a laptop with a fauty screen!!!!! just out of curiosity, what rough settings would you be able to run with an integrated Intel® UHD Graphics 620 or similar? might make him use the old 2d circles i had to endure in my golden days!!!! 

another idea, I am just in the process of selling my old desktop, i7 6700K, with ASUS ROG motherboard, I could re house into a smaller case, but then I would struggle with the getting the graphics card I have in it into a smaller case.....

UHD Graphics 620 way less than the 950m. But he's a kid, perhaps he would enjoy playing in 2D :-) other options are using a full size case and putting it the other side of a wall in the hall or another bedroom or even loft and then run a long HDMI cable though a small hole. My kids are grown up not, in fact my daughter was 36 yesterday but if it was me I would do my best NOT to spend any money in hope. Also I wonder if you could run FM via remote desktop. Thereby having it on your PC but just puttin a shortcut to FM on his PC.

5 minutes ago, Delicate Dave said:

UHD Graphics 620 way less than the 950m. But he's a kid, perhaps he would enjoy playing in 2D :-) other options are using a full size case and putting it the other side of a wall in the hall or another bedroom or even loft and then run a long HDMI cable though a small hole. My kids are grown up not, in fact my daughter was 36 yesterday but if it was me I would do my best NOT to spend any money in hope. Also I wonder if you could run FM via remote desktop. Thereby having it on your PC but just puttin a shortcut to FM on his PC.

I already do this on mine...... I use Remote desktop to play when Im at work sometimes, I thought I could get him to remote into the one in his room from his iPhone while we were out. I think he will enjoy it, he has played the PS5 one a few times but its too locked down, I cant even add a second manager to just give him loads of money. I have a friend with a similar machine, might get him to install it and test. or pay a little bit more and get it from a shop I might get a 30 day returns with.  

18 hours ago, wally13 said:

Hi cheers for reply it’s 

• Dedicated GeForce® RTX™ 4060 8GB graphics
  • AMD Ryzen™ 5 5500 processor with 6 cores
  • 16GB of DDR4 RAM - run the most demanding software
  • the reviews I’ve seen on the processor seem really good 

It's ok considering the free monitor.  However, I'd consider this better at £899 which still gives you money left over to buy a monitor: https://www.currys.co.uk/products/msi-mag-infinite-s3-gaming-pc-intel-core-i5-rtx-4060-1-tb-ssd-10252405.html

15 hours ago, Houghton19 said:

Keeping this i7-6700k is better than any of the other options you have.  It does have integrated graphics, so if your son doesn't mind playing on 2D this could be an option.  All of the other options you've given have weak processors which mean the game will take a long time to process.

Hi all,

Looking at laptops at £900 - £1100, found these three, which is best value for money do you think? (primarily for FM25 but also will dabble in other games - RDR2/GTA etc)

ASUS TUF Gaming F15 15.6" FHD 144Hz Intel Core i7 RTX 4060 Gaming Laptop LN143972 - FX507VV-LP148W | SCAN UK

Asus TUF A15 AMD Ryzen 7 7735HS 16GB 512GB RTX 4060 144Hz 15.6 Inch Windows 11 Gaming Laptop - Laptops Direct

ASUS TUF Gaming F15 Intel Core i7 16GB 512GB RTX 4050 144Hz FHD 15.6 Inch Windows 11 Gaming Laptop - Laptops Direct

Also, has anybody used one of these and can tell me if the screen quality is as average as the reviews say?

Any feedback appreciated

On 22/04/2024 at 09:58, Gangor said:

Well no, but as anyone can see I don't make the claim you're implying. I said "much more likely". Personally I'd be shocked if an FM was released in the next few years that didn't work at least on low detail settings with a laptop 2050. Given historical hardware targets for this series I don't think that's an unreasonable point of view.

So would I - but you still can't guarantee it until the specs are released for FM25.

We have no idea what the wholesale changes are to the game - it's apparently totally revamped and using different underlying technology. 

I bought a new PC before and the specs were excellent on it - and I bought LA Noire to play - and the game would not run on it at all - despite the specs being well above the requirements. I had to contact Nvidea to get an unreleased Graphics Driver - in the end it worked. But it wasn't easy. 

Nothing is guaranteed, in my experience.

I think it's best not to give false assurances on the unknown.

9 hours ago, webeto said:

Hi all,

Looking at laptops at £900 - £1100, found these three, which is best value for money do you think? (primarily for FM25 but also will dabble in other games - RDR2/GTA etc)

ASUS TUF Gaming F15 15.6" FHD 144Hz Intel Core i7 RTX 4060 Gaming Laptop LN143972 - FX507VV-LP148W | SCAN UK

Asus TUF A15 AMD Ryzen 7 7735HS 16GB 512GB RTX 4060 144Hz 15.6 Inch Windows 11 Gaming Laptop - Laptops Direct

ASUS TUF Gaming F15 Intel Core i7 16GB 512GB RTX 4050 144Hz FHD 15.6 Inch Windows 11 Gaming Laptop - Laptops Direct

Also, has anybody used one of these and can tell me if the screen quality is as average as the reviews say?

Any feedback appreciated

First one for me

On 22/04/2024 at 09:58, Gangor said:

1 hour ago, Smurf said:

So would I - but you still can't guarantee it until the specs are released for FM25.

<snipped>

Just to say - you're probably right - and I'm probably being over cautious.

It just makes me really nervous to say something might work when it's unknown.

I agree with your assessment - but I will remain being cautious in recommendations until I know more.

10 hours ago, webeto said:

Hi all,

Any feedback appreciated

The top one is most performant, but might be overkill, depending on the requirements for FM25. It would be a good choice though. The Ryzen laptop is also worth considering as it has a more capable iGPU which means you could use that rather than the 4060 when away from a wall plug, giving better battery life. 

4 hours ago, Gangor said:

The top one is most performant, but might be overkill, depending on the requirements for FM25. It would be a good choice though. The Ryzen laptop is also worth considering as it has a more capable iGPU which means you could use that rather than the 4060 when away from a wall plug, giving better battery life. 

5 hours ago, Smurf said:

First one for me

Yeah I agree the top is best spec, but it's a case of is it really worth the extra cost?  Would I get value for money?

Also, I was leaning towards the F15 due to processor, but is the ryzen 7735HS more than good enough for FM performance?

I'm looking at a new laptop (my old one has trouble charging, the port is loose, my local repair shop says this is because my motherboard is donald ducked and a new laptop is the only option).

Which of these is the better option please:

https://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/acer-nitro-5-an517-55-intel-core-i5-16gb-512gb-rtx-4050-144hz-fhd-17.3-inch-nh.qlgek.001/version.asp

https://www.currys.co.uk/products/asus-vivobook-16x-k3605zc-16-laptop-intel-core-i7-512-gb-ssd-silver-10251971.html

I am guessing the top one, it will be mainly for playing FM, maybe some other games too.  TIA

36 minutes ago, Rambler said:

I'm looking at a new laptop (my old one has trouble charging, the port is loose, my local repair shop says this is because my motherboard is donald ducked and a new laptop is the only option).

https://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/acer-nitro-5-an517-55-intel-core-i5-16gb-512gb-rtx-4050-144hz-fhd-17.3-inch-nh.qlgek.001/version.asp

https://www.currys.co.uk/products/asus-vivobook-16x-k3605zc-16-laptop-intel-core-i7-512-gb-ssd-silver-10251971.html

I am guessing the top one, it will be mainly for playing FM, maybe some other games too.  TIA

The second one would perform better in FM currently, cooling solution notwithstanding, as it has a more powerful processor. The better GPU in the top laptop may be more important for FM25 however

2 hours ago, webeto said:

Yeah I agree the top is best spec, but it's a case of is it really worth the extra cost?  Would I get value for money?

Also, I was leaning towards the F15 due to processor, but is the ryzen 7735HS more than good enough for FM performance?

The Ryzen is fine, but it would likely be noticeably slower. It does use less power though if you use it away from the wall

4 hours ago, Rambler said:

What is the model of the old laptop, It's extreamly unlikely you can't change the socket. This is often just a un-do screws job I've done loads and they cost of the part would be about £5.

2 hours ago, Delicate Dave said:

What is the model of the old laptop, It's extreamly unlikely you can't change the socket. This is often just a un-do screws job I've done loads and they cost of the part would be about £5.

It's an MSI 7RFX Leopard Pro, about 6 or 7 years old.#, Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7700HQ CPU @ 2.80GHz, 8GB of RAM, GTX 1060

Edited by Rambler

12 hours ago, Rambler said:

It's an MSI 7RFX Leopard Pro, about 6 or 7 years old.#, Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7700HQ CPU @ 2.80GHz, 8GB of RAM, GTX 1060

Well good it's the one I've been using for a while and it's on it's 3rd case, so I know for a fact the socket is just a cable you can buy for a few quicd. In fact, you can get a replacement motherboard for around £100 on eBay. It's not a hard job and may be worth investigating on Youtube and checking the cost of the part on eBay. That Laptop is more than capable for FM24 and I assume FM25 as well. You can even overclock using the MSI afterburner. What you got to loose by having a go? £5 

Man, I really hate computer repairshops, they are the new car mechanics and will rip off anyone if it saves them doing work, The reason they have told you that is the MSI is a bit time consuming so they expect to spend 1-2 hours to change a part that cost £5. I suspect they think you won't pay £100. 

Im gonna be brutally honest.

DONT BUY LATPTOPS FOR PLAYING FM OR GAMING ANYWAYS

i met the same mistake, and bought a 16gb 600$ laptop, turns out it suck for playing on laptops

just make a PC, you can build a pc buying all the parts and assembling, you can pay30$ and any store will build it for you.

all you need is joining pcpartpicker and they will help for sure...

if you want help here I can help you...

Im experienced building pc's and I can  give you a build, so you can buy all the parts...

if you need help just ask

20 minutes ago, deltasfd11 said:

i met the same mistake, and bought a 16gb 600$ laptop, turns out it suck for playing on laptops

just make a PC, you can build a pc buying all the parts and assembling, you can pay30$ and any store will build it for you.

Im experienced building pc's and I can  give you a build, so you can buy all the parts...

$600 isn't much for a laptop at any given time.  It's unlikely to have included a dedicated graphics card at that price.

Just because you had a bad experience with one laptop doesn't mean that's going to universally be true for every laptop out there.

Some people don't have space for a desktop PC, or some just want the portability factor.

youcould make one of this builds and play everything...

dont waste money on the laptop market...

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/YMYF6D

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/8Z73Jy

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/wtFNVW

this would be the best build for most people.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/BJdV89

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/rjMt28

this 2 build will be amazing for most people

7 minutos atrás, kevhamster disse:

$600 isn't much for a laptop at any given time.  It's unlikely to have included a dedicated graphics card at that price.

Just because you had a bad experience with one laptop doesn't mean that's going to universally be true for every laptop out there.

Some people don't have space for a desktop PC, or some just want the portability factor.

its not  an opinion... 

any good pc with a gpu will be better than any laptop at the same price or even higher

laptop market is heavily inflation....

at 700$ you can build a very good gaming pc wich will play everything for years to come and now battery issues...

and better frame frate..

pc's are just better not an opinion

3 hours ago, deltasfd11 said:

its not  an opinion... 

any good pc with a gpu will be better than any laptop at the same price or even higher

laptop market is heavily inflation....

at 700$ you can build a very good gaming pc wich will play everything for years to come and now battery issues...

and better frame frate..

pc's are just better not an opinion

Yes, a good desktop will generally be better, plus you get the upgradability factor.... But a lot of people want a laptop for various reasons, and what we do here is helping them find the best one for the budget rather than trying to lecture people over their choice of form factor being wrong. 

4 hours ago, deltasfd11 said:

No point in diluting the thread with a one off bad experience. 

People want laptops for portability.

Next is the price point for people - and they want a computer they can afford that will run FM.

FM is different to other games, it's more processor intensive and less focused on graphics. 

And you can get really strong performance processor laptops these days. 
Although this might slightly change for FM25 - who knows. 

Yeh in generalities, a desktop has pros and cons. 

But at the end of the day - some people request Desktops and that's recommended to them. 

But nowadays - people want portability, small compact and don't take up a dedicated portion of a room. 

But we have definitely recommeded desktops to people. 

All we are doing here is catering to people's budgets first and foremost.

How much they have to spend - getting together as a community - and pointing to laptops within their budget that are suited to Football Manager only.

Sure some people want other games too - so we can cater to offering suggestion on this.

But please do not dilute the thread with warnings (false warnings) of not buying a laptop. 

Absolutely not necessary.

1 hora atrás, Smurf disse:

No point in diluting the thread with a one off bad experience. 

People want laptops for portability.

Next is the price point for people - and they want a computer they can afford that will run FM.

FM is different to other games, it's more processor intensive and less focused on graphics. 

And you can get really strong performance processor laptops these days. 
Although this might slightly change for FM25 - who knows. 

Yeh in generalities, a desktop has pros and cons. 

But at the end of the day - some people request Desktops and that's recommended to them. 

But nowadays - people want portability, small compact and don't take up a dedicated portion of a room. 

But we have definitely recommeded desktops to people. 

All we are doing here is catering to people's budgets first and foremost.

How much they have to spend - getting together as a community - and pointing to laptops within their budget that are suited to Football Manager only.

Sure some people want other games too - so we can cater to offering suggestion on this.

But please do not dilute the thread with warnings (false warnings) of not buying a laptop. 

Absolutely not necessary.

ok, you guys want portability.

sorry didnt know

but, about FM working, Im a tech guy and testing FM on my PC and FM is not heavy on cpu total usage at all, it never goes more than 18% of the cpu usage when gaming, processing or in match,..

but its ram heavy and disk usage heavy.

because all that work and data and loading, its very heavy on RAM.

wich laptops always have less RAM and slower ram. also ssd's on laptops at low price points are always slower

buying a 16gb ram laptop now will be at 80% RAM usage on windows 11 when playing FM24 

in 2 FM versions the 16gb will fall short. if FM24 is at 80%+ RAM usage, i cant imagine after FM25

laptops with 32GB ram are very expensive compared to pc's

recently had to update ram to play better FM25 and the ones coming next...

i know you want laptops but cheap laptops will fall short, unless you spend a lot of money

1 hour ago, deltasfd11 said:

ok, you guys want portability.

sorry didnt know

but, about FM working, Im a tech guy and testing FM on my PC and FM is not heavy on cpu total usage at all, it never goes more than 18% of the cpu usage when gaming, processing or in match,..

but its ram heavy and disk usage heavy.

because all that work and data and loading, its very heavy on RAM.

wich laptops always have less RAM and slower ram. also ssd's on laptops at low price points are always slower

buying a 16gb ram laptop now will be at 80% RAM usage on windows 11 when playing FM24 

in 2 FM versions the 16gb will fall short. if FM24 is at 80%+ RAM usage, i cant imagine after FM25

laptops with 32GB ram are very expensive compared to pc's

recently had to update ram to play better FM25 and the ones coming next...

i know you want laptops but cheap laptops will fall short, unless you spend a lot of money

I mean that's just not true.  CPU is everything in FM.  How much is used of course will depend on how many leagues you have running and the detail level selected.  Check out the benchmarking thread to see the difference a better CPU makes.

RAM i've not overly sure on, FM seems to just use whatever you have.  Not sure it actually impacts performance.

Get yourself over to the benchmarking thread and run the tests.  You could then take out a stick of RAM and see if it makes any difference.  Even accounting for losing out on dual channel I doubt it will make too much difference.

Happy to be proved wrong though

Your test results would be greatly appreciated  :)

Edited by Brother Ben