FM24 - PC/Laptop advice thread *** PLEASE READ OPENING POST BEFORE POSTING ***

Just now, kevhamster said:

In theory I'd agree, but they did very explicitly state system requirements would increase with FM25.  I'd still expect them to be relatively modest, but until they give us firm info in this regard

I didn't know they did that. But then again with all this stuff it is often used for PR and the person saying it hasn't even spoken to the people who know. Sure the will be an increase but I would be amazed if it was wide enough to rule out more than 5% of the existing FM users. But we'll have to see. I know I won't be too fused as I never buy the update till I can get it for a reasonable price, I didn't buy FM24 till I could get it under £20 :-) 

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, Delicate Dave said:

I didn't know they did that. But then again with all this stuff it is often used for PR and the person saying it hasn't even spoken to the people who know. Sure the will be an increase but I would be amazed if it was wide enough to rule out more than 5% of the existing FM users. But we'll have to see. I know I won't be too fused as I never buy the update till I can get it for a reasonable price, I didn't buy FM24 till I could get it under £20 :-) 

It was in the "Future of FM" blog from MIles himself, so definitely someone who would know!

https://www.footballmanager.com/news/future-football-manager

There's no reason why people can't enjoy older versions if they can't play FM25 due to system specs.

I'm still playing FM2012 - quite enjoy this version and the UI is great. 

I've tried 13,14,15,16 etc. but never got into them. 

But I keep going with FM12 because I like it.

On 29/03/2024 at 18:46, Smurf said:

There's no reason why people can't enjoy older versions if they can't play FM25 due to system specs.

I'm still playing FM2012 - quite enjoy this version and the UI is great. 

I've tried 13,14,15,16 etc. but never got into them. 

But I keep going with FM12 because I like it.

Absolutely valid.  FM12 was a definitely one of the best entries in the series.  If FM25 doesn't live up to expectations then I can quite easily see myself going back to FM24 as I've been having an absolute blast playing it.

Hey @kevhamster and others. I've narrowed down my laptop search to two HP Victus laptops:

This one from John Lewis --> https://www.johnlewis.com/victus-16-r0007na-gaming-laptop-intel-core-i5-processor-rtx-3050-16gb-ram-512gb-ssd-16-1-inch-full-hd-silver/p110659731 - £667 thru staff discount code

The one directly from HP --> https://www.hp.com/gb-en/shop/product.aspx?id=876Z1EA&opt=ABU&sel=NTB - £806.56 thru staff discount code

From what I can tell, the John Lewis one has a better processor but "worse" graphics. And the HP one has newer graphics card but a slightly "worse" processor.

Is that right?

If it were your money, which would you pick?

Edited by Mr Adam

28 minutes ago, Mr Adam said:

Hey @kevhamster and others. I've narrowed down my laptop search to two HP Victus laptops:

This one from John Lewis --> https://www.johnlewis.com/victus-16-r0007na-gaming-laptop-intel-core-i5-processor-rtx-3050-16gb-ram-512gb-ssd-16-1-inch-full-hd-silver/p110659731 - £667 thru staff discount code

The one directly from HP --> https://www.hp.com/gb-en/shop/product.aspx?id=876Z1EA&opt=ABU&sel=NTB - £806.56 thru staff discount code

From what I can tell, the John Lewis one has a better processor but "worse" graphics. And the HP one has newer graphics card but a slightly "worse" processor.

Is that right?

If it were your money, which would you pick?

Correct, although on notebookcheck the two CPU's are right next to each other so it seems like there's very little between them.  So, then it comes down to whether you'd rather spend a bit less or not.

Although we don't have system spec requirements for FM25 yet, I don't imagine either laptop having an issue with the game.

Although, here's another suggestion for you.  A CPU which scores a little higher than both of the ones above and a very good graphics card alongside it:

https://www.currys.co.uk/products/asus-tuf-gaming-a15-15.6-gaming-laptop-amd-ryzen-7-rtx-3060-512-gb-ssd-10259874.html

14 minutes ago, kevhamster said:

Correct, although on notebookcheck the two CPU's are right next to each other so it seems like there's very little between them.  So, then it comes down to whether you'd rather spend a bit less or not.

Although we don't have system spec requirements for FM25 yet, I don't imagine either laptop having an issue with the game.

Although, here's another suggestion for you.  A CPU which scores a little higher than both of the ones above and a very good graphics card alongside it:

https://www.currys.co.uk/products/asus-tuf-gaming-a15-15.6-gaming-laptop-amd-ryzen-7-rtx-3060-512-gb-ssd-10259874.html

Thanks mate

And how much better than those is this one? https://www.hp.com/gb-en/shop/product.aspx?id=877A7EA&opt=ABU&sel=NTB

I know its more expensive but I can get it on PayPal interest free credit and over 3 years its only £4 a month more...

15 minutes ago, Mr Adam said:

Thanks mate

And how much better than those is this one? https://www.hp.com/gb-en/shop/product.aspx?id=877A7EA&opt=ABU&sel=NTB

I know its more expensive but I can get it on PayPal interest free credit and over 3 years its only £4 a month more...

It's definitely an upgrade in terms of the CPU, hard to quantify how much better it is though.  But if you're happy to pay the extra, then I'd say go for it.

As already 

59 minutes ago, kevhamster said:

It's definitely an upgrade in terms of the CPU, hard to quantify how much better it is though.  But if you're happy to pay the extra, then I'd say go for it.

As already said all these are easily capable for FM25 even on the wildest guess. I would always choose processor over graphics card but if you are going the graphics way it's also t what the panel is capable of and what sort glare etc etc.  My advice and an old git is don't go into debt for a laptop. Perhaps you can try these before you buy?

8 hours ago, waltonyeah said:

Hello

After a number of quiet years, I'm looking to resume my FM addiction.

How does this laptop which has appeared on Argos for £329 fare?

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/3267651

On the face of it a 12th gen i5 processor, 8gb ram etc sounds good for that price; is there a catch?

I'd literally use it for FM and at a push a Civ game once in a while.

Keeping in mind that this laptop is a couple of years old at this point, it's decent value. It should be fine with FM24 but I suspect it will struggle with FM25 due to the lack of a dedicated graphics processor.

1 hour ago, jamjam said:

Before knowing what the requirements are for FM25 I would be hesitant to choose a laptop without a discrete GPU or less than 16Gb of RAM. If that's a firm budget you might consider looking for a laptop with the AMD Ryzen 6800u processor either refurbished or second hand. It still won't have a dGPU but AMD's integrated GPUs are significantly better than Intel's and would be more likely to manage the new game. Most laptops with this processor were also equipped with 16Gb of RAM. It's also possible you might find an 11th or 12th gen i5 (or AMD equivalent) paired with a RTX 3050 for around that price on the second hand market. 

5 minutes ago, Gregorkyle said:

@kevhamster

Hey, could I get your advice what one of these would be best for fm24 with a big database

1. Buy HP Victus TG02-1013na i5 16GB 1TB RTX4060 Gaming PC | Gaming PCs | Argos

2. Buy MSI Codex 6 i7 16GB 1TB RTX4060 Gaming PC | Gaming PCs | Argos

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/3349593?clickSR=slp:term:pc:28:69:1

It has the better CPU of the two.

5 hours ago, Gregorkyle said:

Ok thanks. Is it a reasonably priced pc and would you 'recommend' it? 

It's about the right price for the spec, and yes it's easy to recommend.  Excellent CPU paired with a very capable graphics card.

Is this PC decent value and spec? £780 but it doesn't include windows 

AMD RYZEN 5 7600
ASUS PRIME A620M-K
16GB DDR5
1TB LEGEND
AMD | RX 6700XT
700W PSU

I'm more of a console gamer but do play Football Manager & League of Legends and would like the option to play more demanding/new games if I feel like it. I will use it for work but that isn't super intensive (usually I'm just running teams, Microsoft office programs, SSMS). It will likely be running on WiFi and I would like 2 monitors so I can game/work on one and watch/browse on the other.

Edited by GriffiN94

3 hours ago, GriffiN94 said:

Is this PC decent value and spec? £780 but it doesn't include windows 

AMD RYZEN 5 7600
ASUS PRIME A620M-K
16GB DDR5
1TB LEGEND
AMD | RX 6700XT
700W PSU

I'm more of a console gamer but do play Football Manager & League of Legends and would like the option to play more demanding/new games if I feel like it. I will use it for work but that isn't super intensive (usually I'm just running teams, Microsoft office programs, SSMS). It will likely be running on WiFi and I would like 2 monitors so I can game/work on one and watch/browse on the other.

Even without Windows, I'd have expected a PC with that spec to be more expensive than that so check carefully to make sure everything with it is above board.

7 hours ago, kevhamster said:

Even without Windows, I'd have expected a PC with that spec to be more expensive than that so check carefully to make sure everything with it is above board.

Thanks mate. It's from Palicomp. Do you have much knowledge of them? They look to have a decent reputation online.

Edited by GriffiN94

1 hour ago, GriffiN94 said:

Thanks mate. It's from Palicomp. Do you have much knowledge of them? They look to have a decent reputation online.

I'd not heard of them, but their Trustpilot reviews are good so I'd call that a green light.

Hi all,

I’m looking for some advice on a new laptop. I’m coming from a 2016 MacBook Pro, which while runs FM24 it does sound like a plane taking off at times and gets quite warm. Only run 2D match engine and a couple of leagues.

Whilst I do use the MacBook for work it’s not essential but I do like how reliable they are compared to laptops I’ve had in the past and the display is excellent.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a laptop that will play FM 24 and should cope well with 25, although we don’t know the specs etc? Would a new MacBook still have similar issues with noise and heat?

Budget around £1000, being able to run multiple leagues and 3D in high quality and having a good display are desired.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

5 minutes ago, thewire147 said:

Hi all,

I’m looking for some advice on a new laptop. I’m coming from a 2016 MacBook Pro, which while runs FM24 it does sound like a plane taking off at times and gets quite warm. Only run 2D match engine and a couple of leagues.

Whilst I do use the MacBook for work it’s not essential but I do like how reliable they are compared to laptops I’ve had in the past and the display is excellent.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a laptop that will play FM 24 and should cope well with 25, although we don’t know the specs etc? Would a new MacBook still have similar issues with noise and heat?

Budget around £1000, being able to run multiple leagues and 3D in high quality and having a good display are desired.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

Anything we say about FM25 is currently purely assumptions and guesswork, as SI have not yet given an indication on system specs.  More information should be forthcoming soon, as I was originally told more info would be coming out Q2, which we're now a few days into!

If you're happy with Mac, then I'd be surprised if the M1/M2 based Macbooks weren't sufficient for what you're looking for.  They've performed very well in terms of processing speed and the integrated graphics capability is known to be very good.

Truth be told, any laptop you look at is probably going to cause a bit of noise and heat whether you're looking at a Windows based gaming laptop, or a Macbook.

There's the M2 Macbook Air for £1k: https://www.currys.co.uk/products/apple-macbook-air-13.6-2022-m2-256-gb-ssd-midnight-10239792.html

Or, if you want a Windows laptop: https://www.currys.co.uk/products/msi-katana-15-15.6-gaming-laptop-intel-core-i7-rtx-4050-1-tb-ssd-10246626.html

25 minutes ago, kevhamster said:

Anything we say about FM25 is currently purely assumptions and guesswork, as SI have not yet given an indication on system specs.  More information should be forthcoming soon, as I was originally told more info would be coming out Q2, which we're now a few days into!

If you're happy with Mac, then I'd be surprised if the M1/M2 based Macbooks weren't sufficient for what you're looking for.  They've performed very well in terms of processing speed and the integrated graphics capability is known to be very good.

Truth be told, any laptop you look at is probably going to cause a bit of noise and heat whether you're looking at a Windows based gaming laptop, or a Macbook.

There's the M2 Macbook Air for £1k: https://www.currys.co.uk/products/apple-macbook-air-13.6-2022-m2-256-gb-ssd-midnight-10239792.html

Or, if you want a Windows laptop: https://www.currys.co.uk/products/msi-katana-15-15.6-gaming-laptop-intel-core-i7-rtx-4050-1-tb-ssd-10246626.html

Thanks, very helpful

1 hour ago, kevhamster said:

Just one further question sorry, do you think 8gb Ram will be sufficient or is it worth getting 16?

Thanks

4 minutes ago, thewire147 said:

Just one further question sorry, do you think 8gb Ram will be sufficient or is it worth getting 16?

Thanks

I think 8GB is likely to still be sufficient, but I'd still recommend 16GB where practical.  With Apple, that does mean a significant increase in price as  a Macbook with 16GB RAM means an increase to £1349, at least in Currys.

21 minutes ago, kevhamster said:

I think 8GB is likely to still be sufficient, but I'd still recommend 16GB where practical.  With Apple, that does mean a significant increase in price as  a Macbook with 16GB RAM means an increase to £1349, at least in Currys.

Nice one

20 hours ago, thewire147 said:

Hi all,

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

It sounds like the current laptop needs the fans cleaned out and the thermal paste changed. That's not hard to do and there will be YT vids for your model. As for new I suspect any £1000 laptop will run FM 24 well and FM25 should be much more demanding. The way I would go is CPU > Graphics Card > Ram > Build > Warentee - All on top of your own usability requirements - for example, I hate loud clicks of the keyboard but I also like the mousepad buttons to be separate. Then the is glare number pad design to think about. Leave it as late as possible, the deeper into the year the cheaper things become up to Oct.

17 minutes ago, Delicate Dave said:

It sounds like the current laptop needs the fans cleaned out and the thermal paste changed. That's not hard to do and there will be YT vids for your model. As for new I suspect any £1000 laptop will run FM 24 well and FM25 should be much more demanding. The way I would go is CPU > Graphics Card > Ram > Build > Warentee - All on top of your own usability requirements - for example, I hate loud clicks of the keyboard but I also like the mousepad buttons to be separate. Then the is glare number pad design to think about. Leave it as late as possible, the deeper into the year the cheaper things become up to Oct.

Good points. Thanks.

On 08/04/2024 at 22:45, kevhamster said:

It's about the right price for the spec, and yes it's easy to recommend.  Excellent CPU paired with a very capable graphics card.

In terms of FM25... do you reckon that system would be okay? 

Hey so i was looking at a laptop primarily for FM and a bit of uni work for around £500 maybe stretching a bit more and the one i was looking at has just gone up to £800 so are there any recommendations that could handle fm25 and have it run smoothly with decent graphics settings and things like that 

15 hours ago, AbleAardvark said:

Hey so i was looking at a laptop primarily for FM and a bit of uni work for around £500 maybe stretching a bit more and the one i was looking at has just gone up to £800 so are there any recommendations that could handle fm25 and have it run smoothly with decent graphics settings and things like that 

There's no way anyone can tell you if it will handle FM25 - this is going to be a complete refresh of the game and the specs have not been released for it. 

For 800 you could get a decent computer. 

Both refurbs and good specs. 

https://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/refurbished-acer-swift-go-core-i7-13700h-16gb-512gb-ssd-14-inch-touchscreen-a1-nx.kf5ek.006/version.asp

https://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/refurbished-hp-omen-16-n0501na-amd-ryzen-7-6800h-16gb-512gb-rtx-3060-16.1-i-a1-79b11ea/version.asp

Hi all! Im currently looking for a mini PC for around £200-£300 that works good for some FM24 (and hopefully FM25 when we know more about the specs).

I haven’t played for some years, but I guess I’ll play 2D and with about 15-20 leagues.

I’ve found a Beelink Ser5, AMD Ryzen 5 5560U for £350, but if possible I’d like to go cheaper as this will only be for FM and nothing else.

Thanks!

On 14/04/2024 at 08:33, Smurf said:

There's no way anyone can tell you if it will handle FM25 - this is going to be a complete refresh of the game and the specs have not been released for it. 

For 800 you could get a decent computer. 

Both refurbs and good specs. 

https://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/refurbished-acer-swift-go-core-i7-13700h-16gb-512gb-ssd-14-inch-touchscreen-a1-nx.kf5ek.006/version.asp

https://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/refurbished-hp-omen-16-n0501na-amd-ryzen-7-6800h-16gb-512gb-rtx-3060-16.1-i-a1-79b11ea/version.asp

Is there anything closer to £500 or so that should handle it? 

10 minutes ago, AbleAardvark said:

Is there anything closer to £500 or so that should handle it? 

As you're asking about FM25, it's more difficult as SI haven't released system requirements for it as yet.  We know the system requirements are increasing from previous iterations, but that's all we know.

I'd expect this one to be fine, but obviously can't give any cast iron guarantees.  I have asked about system specs for FM25, but haven't been given an answer as yet.

I'd suggest using the option to increase the RAM to 16GB.

https://www.laptopstation.co.uk/products/lenovo-ideapad-gaming-3-6th-generation-ryzen-5-16gb-ram-512gb-ssd-nvidia-rtx-3050-graphics-15-6-fhd-screen-gaming-laptop

31 minutes ago, Nicklas said:

Hi all! Im currently looking for a mini PC for around £200-£300 that works good for some FM24 (and hopefully FM25 when we know more about the specs).

I haven’t played for some years, but I guess I’ll play 2D and with about 15-20 leagues.

I’ve found a Beelink Ser5, AMD Ryzen 5 5560U for £350, but if possible I’d like to go cheaper as this will only be for FM and nothing else.

Thanks!

I can't find any mini PC which is cheaper which I'd recommend.

4 minutes ago, kevhamster said:

I can't find any mini PC which is cheaper which I'd recommend.

Thanks for the quick reply! Do you think that one is good enough for 2D, up to 20 leagues?

11 minutes ago, Nicklas said:

Thanks for the quick reply! Do you think that one is good enough for 2D, up to 20 leagues?

As per the OP, we don't comment on how many leagues any specific system will run.  The acceptability of processing speed is subjective.

But, any PC that will run the game can run any amount of leagues, it's just how you personally find the processing speed.  It has a decent CPU though.

47 minutes ago, kevhamster said:

As you're asking about FM25, it's more difficult as SI haven't released system requirements for it as yet.  We know the system requirements are increasing from previous iterations, but that's all we know.

I'd expect this one to be fine, but obviously can't give any cast iron guarantees.  I have asked about system specs for FM25, but haven't been given an answer as yet.

I'd suggest using the option to increase the RAM to 16GB.

https://www.laptopstation.co.uk/products/lenovo-ideapad-gaming-3-6th-generation-ryzen-5-16gb-ram-512gb-ssd-nvidia-rtx-3050-graphics-15-6-fhd-screen-gaming-laptop

thanks how smooth do you think would run with the RAM upgrade vs without 

13 minutes ago, AbleAardvark said:

You might want to checkout the Lenovo main site before you buy, the have a 24 hour crash sale on today.

1 hour ago, Delicate Dave said:

You might want to checkout the Lenovo main site before you buy, the have a 24 hour crash sale on today.

are there any on there you would recommend in the £500 range could probably stretch a bit higher if it’s worth it tho 

1 hour ago, AbleAardvark said:

are there any on there you would recommend in the £500 range could probably stretch a bit higher if it’s worth it tho 

I don't know, I'm not a current expert I prefer to shop second hand but this seems up there and has some decent reviews, you can confgiure it wthout the OS if you already have one and the are option to take it up or down in price. But others will have a better idea on it's value - https://www.lenovo.com/gb/en/configurator/cto/index.html?bundleId=83GSCTO1WWGB1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, AbleAardvark said:

FM24 would be fine either way, although you may need to limit what's running in the background (for example, web browsers - especially Chrome - use a fair amount of memory).

I'd still recommend the 16GB RAM in case it's more important when FM25 comes around,

Edited by kevhamster

7 hours ago, josuts said:

Hello everyone,

Can you please recomend a laptop arround 500-600 euro to play fm24 without worries? Thank you

Can you provide some examples of stores in whichever country you are that you could buy computers please?  I'll have a look around at what's available.

9 hours ago, kevhamster said:

Can you provide some examples of stores in whichever country you are that you could buy computers please?  I'll have a look around at what's available.

i live in Greece:-)

1 hour ago, josuts said:

i live in Greece:-)

The European retailer I'm most familiar with is Mediamarkt, so I looked up their Greek site, which redirected me to Public.gr. No idea if they are representative of local pricing, but from what I can see 500 euros is likely to buy you a modest i5 or Ryzen 5 laptop with 8gb of RAM and no dedicated GPU. This would run FM24 just fine, particularly the Ryzen models which have superior integrated GPUs which will be better able to handle the 3d match engine. I suspect however that this would be a sub-optimal experience for FM25 as it moves to a new engine with improved visuals. At about 700 euros you can get a basic gaming laptop with a faster processor and a dedicated GPU which, while certainly not top of the line, will be much more likely to manage FM25 competently. If you don't mind the second hand market, it might be worth looking out for low end gaming laptops which are a couple of years old which may fit more into your budget. 

50 minutes ago, Gangor said:

The European retailer I'm most familiar with is Mediamarkt, so I looked up their Greek site, which redirected me to Public.gr. No idea if they are representative of local pricing, but from what I can see 500 euros is likely to buy you a modest i5 or Ryzen 5 laptop with 8gb of RAM and no dedicated GPU. This would run FM24 just fine, particularly the Ryzen models which have superior integrated GPUs which will be better able to handle the 3d match engine. I suspect however that this would be a sub-optimal experience for FM25 as it moves to a new engine with improved visuals. At about 700 euros you can get a basic gaming laptop with a faster processor and a dedicated GPU which, while certainly not top of the line, will be much more likely to manage FM25 competently. If you don't mind the second hand market, it might be worth looking out for low end gaming laptops which are a couple of years old which may fit more into your budget. 

As I said before I would always go the processor before the graphics. Most people seem to want to run all the leagues, that needs a fast processor. The problem with only having 500 euro (£430) is your likely to be looking at processors that are around old stock. For that reason, I would recommend the second-hand market where you'll get a better price for the same thing. You can shop for processor & GPU combinations and maybe have some spare cash left to up the memory or SSD card even.

Purely as an example - this is what I use now, it's old but I can load all the leagues playable. Yes, there is a short lag but only when moving from day to day when it's calculating the results around the world. Ignore the price, you can get this model for less than 200 euro - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/384905970595 What you could do is go on MSI website and and look for the next versions of this till you hit one you can afford. Just an idea.

Edited by Delicate Dave

1 hour ago, Gangor said:

700 euros you can get a basic gaming laptop with a faster processor and a dedicated GPU which, while certainly not top of the line, will be much more likely to manage FM25 competently

Absolutely cannot guarantee that at all - no idea what FM 25 specs are