FM24 - PC/Laptop advice thread *** PLEASE READ OPENING POST BEFORE POSTING ***

If you have basic knowledge of computers and brands you can get second-hand laptops to run Football Manager for around £50-£100 and in today's world the thought of paying £100 every year for the next 3 years or more is far better than paying £500 for a new item. My own latest purchase is an HP Envy dv6-7200sa. This thing has a fast CPU and 2 GB video card. Manufactured in 2013 it's more than ten years old but lucky for me it had been well looked after. If cost £54 plus £6 postage. 

So what I'm saying is look after your money here. When buying second hand laptop always research for faults that are common on the model or brand. For example, Dell is great but their power adapters give a lot of problems and also the sockets they push into are also troublesome. Although easy to find parts expect to buy them often. My partner paid £1700 for an XPS and within 4 years I had to replace 3 sockets, 2 batteries, and no less than 4 power adaptors. Where as my son at the same time went for cheap but powerful MSI for £900 and the only thing that let him down were the plastics. We managed to replace the whole case of that for £100. 

if you are looking for a secondhand laptop feel free to run any links past me and I'll be happy to offer my advice on my experience. I've worked in IT for a very long time and built systems, servers, etc for a living before retiring.

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Delicate Dave said:

If you have basic knowledge of computers and brands you can get second-hand laptops to run Football Manager for around £50-£100 and in today's world the thought of paying £100 every year for the next 3 years or more is far better than paying £500 for a new item. My own latest purchase is an HP Envy dv6-7200sa. This thing has a fast CPU and 2 GB video card. Manufactured in 2013 it's more than ten years old but lucky for me it had been well looked after. If cost £54 plus £6 postage. 

So what I'm saying is look after your money here. When buying second hand laptop always research for faults that are common on the model or brand. For example, Dell is great but their power adapters give a lot of problems and also the sockets they push into are also troublesome. Although easy to find parts expect to buy them often. My partner paid £1700 for an XPS and within 4 years I had to replace 3 sockets, 2 batteries, and no less than 4 power adaptors. Where as my son at the same time went for cheap but powerful MSI for £900 and the only thing that let him down were the plastics. We managed to replace the whole case of that for £100. 

if you are looking for a secondhand laptop feel free to run any links past me and I'll be happy to offer my advice on my experience. I've worked in IT for a very long time and built systems, servers, etc for a living before retiring.

Would either of the following two laptops work for FM24?

Lenovo G560

Dell Latitude E5440

Both in good condition.

Not bothered about watching games maybe the odd replay, would like to run as many of the major leagues as possible. I know the two laptops are old but they are from a family member. I'm not a tech guy at all so any help would be welcome.

Thanks

30 minutes ago, ExpressMouse said:

Lenovo G560

Dell Latitude E5440

Both in good condition.

Not bothered about watching games maybe the odd replay, would like to run as many of the major leagues as possible. I know the two laptops are old but they are from a family member. I'm not a tech guy at all so any help would be welcome.

Thanks

Not the best - If you are going for an older machine I would keep to an i7 and avoid anything that ends in a U. It will run but ... is the answer. FM is not really that intensive just depends on how you want it to run.

Here's a way of seeing the speeds on these, the other CPU is what I run FM24 on. I run in high quality, you can see it's about 9 times faster then the i3 in the Lenovo & 4 times the i5 in the Dell. All you need to do to run these tests is to put the model number followed by the word spec to find the CPU model. Then use the link to compare, you can use my CPU as min if you want a lot of leagues loaded but there are also other things that impact that like SSD drives rather than HD and type of video card.

12 hours ago, ExpressMouse said:

Lenovo G560

Dell Latitude E5440

Thanks

Putting those models into a search doesn't give me a specific spec so its not really possible to say.  I'd really need to know CPU and RAM to be able to say.

1 hour ago, Perrypj said:

Just out of interest, do you think any MacBook’s out at the moment would be good for FM25?

Of course, they are. I don't use a Mac but I understand FM runs seamless on them just like the PC. Not surprising at the new Mac have Intel processors. But not a Mac expert so take anything I say with pinch of salt. DYOR

3 hours ago, Perrypj said:

Just out of interest, do you think any MacBook’s out at the moment would be good for FM25?

The Apple silicon processors have pretty powerful integrated graphics. I would be surprised if they were inadequate for FM25

1 hour ago, Thiago Kalil said:

I like researching players described by the press as prodigies. Is there a way to apply a filter and directly search for prodigy players?

No but there are loads of wonderkid shortlists you can download

Yes that's fine, in fact MSi are my own preferred brand. Not that they don't have "build" problems but in general the parts that matter are high standard and easy to replace. If you don't intend to knock them around they are by far the best value on the market IMO. 

1 hour ago, Bill_Shankly said:

Hi. I have got a new laptop. How do I swap my save from one to the other?

Also, I have used the editor. Can I copy the database across too?

Thanks

Suspect others with more knowledge of FM will have a better answer but if you are waiting you could try copying your saved file to an sd-card. Then install FM on your new laptop and select the saved game.

Hello all,

Could someone give me an idea how well/how many leagues I can reasonably run with the latest M3 Macbook Air specifications? I'm looking at purchasing the 15"  8-Core CPU 10-Core GPU 8GB Unified Memory. Would having 16GB significantly help run the game better?

Thanks for the help!

2 hours ago, JawKam said:

Hello all,

Could someone give me an idea how well/how many leagues I can reasonably run with the latest M3 Macbook Air specifications? I'm looking at purchasing the 15"  8-Core CPU 10-Core GPU 8GB Unified Memory. Would having 16GB significantly help run the game better?

Thanks for the help!

If you are planing to buy that just for FM you are wasting your money. FM doesn't need anything like that to run. 

Min FM CPU benmarke 566

The benchmark of your intended CPU 4000+

3 hours ago, JawKam said:

Hello all,

Thanks for the help!

A Macbook is overkill if you're just playing FM. 8GB will however hold back performance so 16 would be preferable. If it's just for FM you might however be better off to consider a Windows laptop

On 08/03/2024 at 18:13, Delicate Dave said:

If you are planing to buy that just for FM you are wasting your money. FM doesn't need anything like that to run. 

Min FM CPU benmarke 566

The benchmark of your intended CPU 4000+

On 08/03/2024 at 18:30, Gangor said:

A Macbook is overkill if you're just playing FM. 8GB will however hold back performance so 16 would be preferable. If it's just for FM you might however be better off to consider a Windows laptop

Oh, definitely not, but appreciate the concern!

Work needs require a Macbook for daily tasks, though I would love to have FM in mind before purchase so I could have a good experience when I am laid back on a couch.

4 hours ago, JawKam said:

Work needs require a Macbook for daily tasks, though I would love to have FM in mind before purchase so I could have a good experience when I am laid back on a couch.

Well if you did one a dedicated FM laptop find and coupon to save 10% on the price of the Mac and use that 10% to buy a second-hand HP Envy i7 of eBay (£150 ish) or a MSI i7 (£250 ish) :-)

8 hours ago, JawKam said:

If you can get the 16GB version you'll have a better all around experience, especially as the RAM has to be shared with the GPU.

On 12/02/2024 at 14:43, kevhamster said:

Looks decent, and very well priced as well.

We don't have system requirements for FM25 yet, but I'd be shocked if this wasn't good enough.

Hi Kev

Unfortunately, I missed out on the above deal but have found the following - I think the processor is different but is this still a solid choice or are there others on the market for £600-700?

Lenovo IdeaPad Gaming 3 | 15 inch Full HD Gaming Laptop| AMD Ryzen 5 5500H | 16GB RAM | 512GB SSD | NVIDIA RTX2050 | Windows 11 Home | Shadow Black : Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

22 minutes ago, Fieldsy said:

Hi Kev

Unfortunately, I missed out on the above deal but have found the following - I think the processor is different but is this still a solid choice or are there others on the market for £600-700?

Lenovo IdeaPad Gaming 3 | 15 inch Full HD Gaming Laptop| AMD Ryzen 5 5500H | 16GB RAM | 512GB SSD | NVIDIA RTX2050 | Windows 11 Home | Shadow Black : Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

That still looks like a solid choice to me.

13 minutes ago, Fieldsy said:

Hi Kev

Be very careful buying IT stuff from Amazon, you maybe won't get the latest or even what the details say it is. Much better to go to major retail like Scan or if you don't want the latest choose a eBay seller with good rep.  This model is no longer available on the Lenovo site. That could mean they pulled it for a reason or it's out of date but I don't think it's out of date. Looks like an Amazon stock dump to me.

20 minutes ago, Delicate Dave said:

Be very careful buying IT stuff from Amazon, you maybe won't get the latest or even what the details say it is. Much better to go to major retail like Scan or if you don't want the latest choose a eBay seller with good rep.  This model is no longer available on the Lenovo site. That could mean they pulled it for a reason or it's out of date but I don't think it's out of date. Looks like an Amazon stock dump to me.

If it a stock dump, why would it be a negative? Also if it’s not what is advertised as it is through Amazon, I could return easily? 

honestly not having a go and appreciate your views but just trying to understand what you mean!  

10 hours ago, Fieldsy said:

If it a stock dump, why would it be a negative? Also if it’s not what is advertised as it is through Amazon, I could return easily? 

honestly not having a go and appreciate your views but just trying to understand what you mean!  

No problem I don't think you are "having go". I may be wrong, odds are I am but I get concerned when relatively recently released items are reduced in price. You can see this every day in supermarkets when you buy something discounted and find out it's got a fault or develops a fault quickly. Then again it could be that the model was just not selling and it's holding up a new version because they have a stockpile they won't be able to sell if the new version is released. I used to buy IT for a major utility, we had 30,000 desktops and a few 1000 laptops, printers etc. I was always being offered stock dumps that's why I know about them and probably why I'm paranoid about them. You see it's not the fact they might go wrong, they'll be under warranty but the labour involved cost the company far more than the saving we made buying these it.

BTW That does look at good price. You can sign up for their newsletter and get £5 off :-) But does make me wonder how much memory is now because the 8gb version is over £100 less

Hi all,

Can anyone recommend a laptop that is able to run the majority of leagues for a long term save? 

I can afford between £1,500 - £2,000 but could push slightly over if the performance is worth it.

Edited by DizzyNewHeights

9 hours ago, DizzyNewHeights said:

Hi all,

Can anyone recommend a laptop that is able to run the majority of leagues for a long term save? 

I can afford between £1,500 - £2,000 but could push slightly over if the performance is worth it.

At that price anyone any latest Laptops. As an old git I've seen CPU advance but today each advancement is small compared to 5 years ago it's more about energy. It's like new cars, you simply can't buy a bad one today although you can buy one with poor build quality. If you really want to spend that much think about the features you need, the size, the storage and design. My own laptop loads all the leagues without a problem and it was made in 2006. All I've done is add some ram. 

10 hours ago, DizzyNewHeights said:

Hi all,

https://www.currys.co.uk/products/msi-katana-b13v-15.6-gaming-laptop-intel-core-i9-rtx-4060-1-tb-ssd-10254228.html

One of the best laptop CPU's currently available paired with an excellent graphics card.

40 minutes ago, jimlad said:

This seems pretty good value for the specs that it comes with, do you guys agree? - https://www.currys.co.uk/products/gigabyte-g6-16-gaming-laptop-intel-core-i7-rtx-4060-1-tb-ssd-10257149.html

Don't see many Gigabyte laptops around. I'm not up to date but is their 2 year warrantee unique? Mind you don't see too many 16in ones either ;-)

• 2 weeks later...
On 15/03/2024 at 09:27, Delicate Dave said:

Don't see many Gigabyte laptops around. I'm not up to date but is their 2 year warrantee unique? Mind you don't see too many 16in ones either ;-)

That's what she said!

Hi I have read a lot of this forum, not sure it has helped me. Looking for a laptop to get into FM, got a budget of £700, ideally looking to buy from Currys. Seen 4 laptops for this price but I know nothing about tech, so not sure which is best for me. Only want the laptop to play FM and general surfing. Not sure whether to buy now or wait for FM25 specs to be released. Any help is appreciated.

32 minutes ago, Cuppo84 said:

Hi I have read a lot of this forum, not sure it has helped me. Looking for a laptop to get into FM, got a budget of £700, ideally looking to buy from Currys. Seen 4 laptops for this price but I know nothing about tech, so not sure which is best for me. Only want the laptop to play FM and general surfing. Not sure whether to buy now or wait for FM25 specs to be released. Any help is appreciated.

It's up to you whether you wait.  However, I'd be shocked if this struggles with FM25: https://www.currys.co.uk/products/hp-victus-16r0502sa-16.1-gaming-laptop-intel-core-i5-rtx-3050-512-gb-ssd-10250490.html

Thanks for your reply. Is that one better than these?

MSI Thin GF63 15.6" Gaming Laptop - Intel® Core™ i5, RTX 4050, 512 GB SSD

MSI Cyborg 15 15.6" Gaming Laptop - Intel® Core™ i5, RTX 3050, 512 GB SSD

Edited by Cuppo84

19 hours ago, Cuppo84 said:

Thanks for your reply. Is that one better than these?

MSI Thin GF63 15.6" Gaming Laptop - Intel® Core™ i5, RTX 4050, 512 GB SSD

MSI Cyborg 15 15.6" Gaming Laptop - Intel® Core™ i5, RTX 3050, 512 GB SSD

I'd need to see the actual links.   Those titles don't say what model i5 CPU they have, or how much RAM they have.

I'm looking to get back into FM after a few years out, I'd like to get a laptop under £700 but could go for a mini PC instead if the increase in performance is dramatic.

I tend to play with medium databases running most of the top leagues but I would really like to do a decent journeyman save. I  like to play in 2d with 3d replays. I appreciate fm25 will likely be more gpu intensive so would like to prepare although I doubt I'll move away from 2D as I just love it. 

All advice and recommendation welcome, thank you in advance. 

16 minutes ago, HarryT99 said:

I'm looking to get back into FM after a few years out, I'd like to get a laptop under £700 but could go for a mini PC instead if the increase in performance is dramatic.

I tend to play with medium databases running most of the top leagues but I would really like to do a decent journeyman save. I  like to play in 2d with 3d replays. I appreciate fm25 will likely be more gpu intensive so would like to prepare although I doubt I'll move away from 2D as I just love it. 

https://www.currys.co.uk/products/hp-victus-16r0502sa-16.1-gaming-laptop-intel-core-i5-rtx-3050-512-gb-ssd-10250490.html

20 hours ago, HarryT99 said:

If you want to go the mini PC route this is a good option - of course you'd still need to add a monitor, keyboard etc that you wouldn't need with the laptop. The processor on this is more powerful than on the laptop Kev suggests, but it relies on integrated graphics which, while perfectly fine for FM24 and likely adequate for FM25 are weaker than the dedicated GPU on the laptop.

https://store.minisforum.uk/products/minisforum-um780xtx?_pos=2&_psq=780&_ss=e&_v=1.0&variant=46847065489686

10 hours ago, b-d17 said:

Hi all,

Would this laptop run the game reasonably if I keep my expectations low (i.e. 2/3 nations loaded, small database etc.) ?

https://www.currys.ie/products/acer-aspire-3-14-laptop-amd-ryzen-3-128-gb-ssd-silver-10251053.html

Thanks in advance. 

It would run FM24, no idea about FM25 when that arrives but my suspicion is it may struggle.  Also, not sure how it will fare from a graphics perspective so you may need to use lower settings or stick to 2D.

My biggest concern with it is only 4GB RAM, which may cause issues,

If you're happy to consider a refurbished model, this one is worth a look at a similar price and it has a 12 month warranty: https://www.laptopstation.co.uk/products/hp-laptop-15-fc0008na-7t-generation-ryzen-5-8gb-ddr5-ram-256gb-ssd-windows-11-home-15-6-fhd-screen?_pos=1&_fid=18e758228&_ss=c

1 hour ago, kevhamster said:

It would run FM24, no idea about FM25 when that arrives but my suspicion is it may struggle.  Also, not sure how it will fare from a graphics perspective so you may need to use lower settings or stick to 2D.

My biggest concern with it is only 4GB RAM, which may cause issues,

If you're happy to consider a refurbished model, this one is worth a look at a similar price and it has a 12 month warranty: https://www.laptopstation.co.uk/products/hp-laptop-15-fc0008na-7t-generation-ryzen-5-8gb-ddr5-ram-256gb-ssd-windows-11-home-15-6-fhd-screen?_pos=1&_fid=18e758228&_ss=c

I can't see Si wanting to move too far ahead with the specs needed to run FM24, it's all about taking existing customers with you with any updates. But of course, all this depends on what setting and configuration the game player wants to us. FM24 will run almost all machines made in the last 10 years. My own is 2018 with just 1gb video card.

I think the best thing any buyer can do is to get familiar with the CPU, Video, and memory speeds on these laptops because, as we've seen already in this thread, not all are the same, there are a lot of cut down components used to make a regular model cheaper for large retail outlets to sell at discount. So although someone might want to buy from Currys for example, always make sure the model number you want to buy is the same model number of the manufacturer's website. If it's not find out why by comparing the specs. 

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Delicate Dave said:

I can't see Si wanting to move too far ahead with the specs needed to run FM24, it's all about taking existing customers with you with any updates. But of course, all this depends on what setting and configuration the game player wants to us. FM24 will run almost all machines made in the last 10 years. My own is 2018 with just 1gb video card.

I think the best thing any buyer can do is to get familiar with the CPU, Video, and memory speeds on these laptops because, as we've seen already in this thread, not all are the same, there are a lot of cut down components used to make a regular model cheaper for large retail outlets to sell at discount. So although someone might want to buy from Currys for example, always make sure the model number you want to buy is the same model number of the manufacturer's website. If it's not find out why by comparing the specs. 

In theory I'd agree, but they did very explicitly state system requirements would increase with FM25.  I'd still expect them to be relatively modest to maintain as large a playerbase as possible, but until they give us firm info in this regard we won't know for sure.

Edited by kevhamster