Lets not kid oursleves there is too many long shots

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have been beating many a time by the dreaded long shots even when ive dominated a game

ive been 4-0 up once and had the game set too 4-4 due too them i dont know how too stop them closing down doesnt seem too do much.

From my experience all closing down does is make them shoot from further away, which, in an ideal world, is a good thing. Not in FM09 at times, as shooting from further out seems to increase the chances of scoring.

This is the first version of the game where i have had to really sit and think about my tactics and its taking some getting used to.

Loving it though

Absolutely, I've never analysed my tactics so much and it is by far the most enjoyable way to play the game. It isn't an arcade game afterall, it need some thought and investment. The 3D really helps with that too and although my pc is flat out trying to play the 3D it is a great enhancement.

it tends to mean that the strikers aren't getting any support from the midfield, so they have no where to go, therefore they will take a pot shot from distance, does it tell you the gap between you midfield and strikeforce is too big, as i was getting the long shots issue as the gap between my strikers and midfield was too big, suddenly i have changed it, only one midfielder has long shots selected, so he does take potshots at the goal from 30-40yds but he has a good conversion rate of those types of shots.

Once i closed the gap, my 4-4-2 formation works really well, a nice slow controlled build up, targetting the wings and the occasional through ball through the centre, and because my strikeforce is now closer to my midfield, the interchanging of play between the two is better, and therefore the strikeforce don't seem to take that many pot shots at goal at all.

i think it can be overkill, especially when weaker teams score alot of rangers

just tell your strikers to long shot rarely?

Ade does it too much for me

strikers is not the problem its defenders(especially) and midfielders always shooting from far out and 8timesoutof10 scoring

strikers is not the problem its defenders(especially) and midfielders always shooting from far out and 8timesoutof10 scoring

The answer to that has already been given in this thread - there isn't close enough interaction between defence/midfield/attack (as applicable) thus they are having to shoot rather than pass it & continuing the attack

Oh and btw i agree with the thread title, there are not too many long shots

just wondering guys, if you have a team tactic and state in it to shoot from long range BUT have individual tactics ALSO stating not to shoot from long range, which tactic would the game use ? I'm leaning towards the team tactic. So ideally 1 would have to have the same for both sides of the fence.

I cannot say that I have seen abnormally long shots leading to goals that much often in my matches, not from my players or the AI teams. The furthest out some goals have been are 25-30 yarders, which I do not think are what is being discussed here.

I set all players to rarely take long shots, and even have a vast majority of them with normal to much creative freedom. I am glad they comply with my instructions and do not aimlessly punt the ball towards goal all that often.

My own concern is that I do not see that many tap ins. My team scores goals from all over the place, but tap ins are a distinct rarity. This most probably would be down to my tactics, but I do not want to change them much since I am banging in goals. Do not fix what ain't broke aye?

Please do enlighten us on the AI side of things in regards to this topic ...

Try reading the thread perhaps?

But i'll sum it up for you incase its too much hard work..

You restrict the AI to long shots from there centre backs/full backs but even players with longs shots of around 5 can score screamers. There are far too many games where its possible to let 3 long range belters in from central defenders or full backs. For instance, the example someone else gave earlier of Wes Brown banging in 2 from 35 yards.

Or John Terry getting a hat trick of long range efforts.

So far Diakete has scored 4 goals for me, Radu has scored 5, and Dabo 3. They are DC, DC and DM respectively.

This is in 22 games. They are nearly all long shots, none of these players take my penalties.

Sorry but the stats say this is an issue.

Wakers - maybe you need to take a look at how your tactics are. Any $$ you dont have your defenders to tight mark neither your midfielders when they don't have the ball.

Yes I do, but thats besides the point. Nothing I do to my tactics should enable John terry or Wes Brown to shoot like they're Matty Taylor. Its amazing how some people will blindly defend this game sometimes.

Wakers, it depends on the frequency that CB's do it. I haven't experienced it, but I haven't played much of the game, if they have only done it once then I would put it down to freak Jason Cundyness :D If they are doing it time and again, it would appear to be an issue, and not one that tactics will fix, if it's not in the bugs forum you should raise the issue and make sure SI are aware.

Wakers, it depends on the frequency that CB's do it. I haven't experienced it, but I haven't played much of the game, if they have only done it once then I would put it down to freak Jason Cundyness :D If they are doing it time and again, it would appear to be an issue, and not one that tactics will fix, if it's not in the bugs forum you should raise the issue and make sure SI are aware.

Already did, it was under investigation and my thread was closed.

The answer to that has already been given in this thread - there isn't close enough interaction between defence/midfield/attack (as applicable) thus they are having to shoot rather than pass it & continuing the attack

Oh and btw i agree with the thread title, there are not too many long shots

maybe u should read the title again :)

Who ever is saying its tactics and not enough interactions between strikers and midfielders are wrong. My units are 2 notches apart you can't get tighter then that.

i am fully in agreement with you. But it seems everyones got there SI Blinkers on and are happy with a mediocre match engine

Again so many people cant be wrong, its fact that far more people are saying the same thing regardless of what people, "who would like to think they are better at the game then everyone else" says ......its not tatics im top of the league unbeatin after 23 matches(i dont want to win 4-0 with 3 long shots and a freekck).

fact is the match engine is poor.......plan and simp....i'm not sorry for setting my standards too high.... i listened and went back to 3D for 5 matches, yeah i was winning games but sol Campbell(yes i know) and Toure both got a brace 2 matches in a row from 40 yard shots.......Dumb!.......i wouldnt mind if it was Bentley and Van Persie. and dont get me started on the goalkeepers!!!!!

Im not asking for a mutiny against SI(they gave me the greatest game on earth)just wondered if others were having the same prob and if there was gonna be a patch to fix it.

Ive sorted my long shot problem, all i do is focus passing down the flanks, the players then look to pass outwide instead of shooting

thats only half the problem (nonsense post anyway) how do u stop conceding them then tell the opposition to do the same FFS

Ive sorted my long shot problem, all i do is focus passing down the flanks, the players then look to pass outwide instead of shooting

What a stupid post. You've sorted nothing. All you've done is told your players to play wide. The AI still scores long shots. The games where you cannot go wide you're stuck and will probably end up loosing.

What a stupid post. You've sorted nothing. All you've done is told your players to play wide. The AI still scores long shots. The games where you cannot go wide you're stuck and will probably end up loosing.

Im currently have not noticed any such thing. In fact a friendly i played against Marseille the ass manager praised our boys to limiting them to shooting from range, they had 4 long shots of their 8 total shots NONE of which appeared as an extended highlight they were so crap.

And my team rarely ever shoot from range apart from my DMC and generally only when everyone in front of him is to pushed up the pitch and marked to death.

I still maintain that while the match engine is nowhere near perfect and yes it may favour long shots that if you are being repeatedly scored against from them that its more down to your tactics than anything else (and maybe a crappy goalie)

I'm not having any problem with the AI scoring stupid amounts of long shots - so far, out of 8 competative games on my current save, I've conceded 2 from outside the box, and one of them was a 1-on-1 with my keeper when the striker shot early. I've also scored 2 from outside the box, 1 of which was an incredible 35 yarder, but the player in question seems to make 5-6 long shots per match, and most go into row Z, so it's a believable fluke.

Just curious if this is a lower league problem or if the AI is scoring to many long shots in the higher divisions as well.

I play a lower league team and currently have everyone set to long shots rarely.

But as I think about this, maybe I should increase my long shots.

I mean the goalies aren't that good at this level and even just getting the ball into a crowd of players near the goal may not be a bad plan sometimes. Plus most of the time my low skilled players just lose the ball if they try and work in closer.

Has anyone flagged this problem in the bugs forum?

The long shooting, and the reluctance to pass into the box is really starting to grate on my nerves. For me it's starting to become a game-killer. I mean, how can you play a season when your players are too scared to pass, and shoot, inside the box? Suddenly everyone has become steven gerrard.. or think they are.

Does anyone know if this problem will be sorted in the next patch?

Seems to me like the tempo is having an effect ... just my observation .. but when I play a quick tempo - certainly against teams that are packing the defence .. my strikers and midfielders are having a quick look up - not seeing a pass on and so deciding to shoot from whereever .. when I've lowered the Tempo .. I've not seen it as much ..

Which makes sense .. the guy on the ball is looking to do something with it and do it quickly .. if there isn't a killer ball on, he's under instructions to get rid quck and so deciding to shoot instead of putting his foot on it and looking for a better option.

Does anyone know if this problem will be sorted in the next patch?

It probably wont because theres too many people with SI blinkers on saying theres nothing wrong with the match engine and there arnt many long shots, it seems that me, you and a few others are playing a different game to everyone else.

Try reading the thread perhaps?

But i'll sum it up for you incase its too much hard work..

You restrict the AI to long shots from there centre backs/full backs but even players with longs shots of around 5 can score screamers. There are far too many games where its possible to let 3 long range belters in from central defenders or full backs. For instance, the example someone else gave earlier of Wes Brown banging in 2 from 35 yards.

Or John Terry getting a hat trick of long range efforts.

yes i had paul mcshane score one against me, totally ridiculous!

Archived