FM20: Leeds Utd - On the way up!!!

Davidcc

Had a good first season. Didn't make any first team signings. Defence was really solid, mainly built around the CM's getting the ball over the top to the front 3.

Squad: 7xD6byx.png

Tactics: vZv3lH8.png

Table: 4yoyhGy.png

Got Watkins and Eze coming in next season. Looking at CB's, GK, RB, a ST and a DLP and playing Phillips as the MEZ.

Edited by i3rooker

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Second season finished and it went way over expectations. Started pretty slow but suddenly I hit an awesome period, where I won against Liverpool and drew Man City and Chelsea. Throughout the season it was almost goals galore. Scored 64 and conceded 56. In the end I was number eight with 62 point – same as Chelsea, who was seventh.

Brought in Haaland in the summer, and he was fantastic. 20 Premier League goals, but he was not the only one doing very great. Curtis Jones was on loan once again, and he was involved in 19 Premier League goals – same Hélder Costa btw.

In January I got Jude Bellingham but loaned him back to Birmingham straigt away, as I had Carlos Aleña (loan) and Jamie Shackleton for that position. For the next season he will play as CM with Phillips, while Kenneh, who is evolving very good, will be DM.

Preferred lineup this season:

GK: Kiko Casilla
RB: Louis Beyer (bought from Gladbach)
CB: Ethan Ampadu (loan)
CB: Liam Cooper
LB: Barry Douglas
DM: Nohan Kenneh
CM: Kalvin Phillips
CM: Jamie Shackleton
RW: Hélder Costa
LW: Curtis Jones
SS: Erling Haaland

Will try to get the following this summer:

First choice goalkeeper
New CB – maybe prolong Ampadu’s loan
New CB
New LB – hopefully Jamal Lewis, but certainly impossible
New winger – hopefully prolong Jones’ loan
New winger – need more depth

Summersignings:

Elías Machuca (Racing Club) - £4.9m
18 year old CB with a great potential. Already got three stars now so could also play a lot of games this season.

Timo Horn (FC Köln) - £9.25m
My new first choice between the post. Had a hard time finding a great goalkeeper, and I am not overly happy with Horn.

Guilherme Arana (Sevilla) - £17.25m
Had to pay a lot for the left back, but he was the best one available.

Ilaix Moriba (Barcelona) - £150.000
Suddenly got the chance to sign him up. A lot of other teams also offered a contract to him, but somehow I got him very cheap. He is actually very good, but I don’t need him as I have Shackleton and Bellingham for the mezzala role. Will maybe loan him out.

David Neres (Ajax) - £19.25m
He has perfomed very well in Ajax, and I hope he can boost my wingers. Looks like a starter.

Marin Pongracic (Red Bull Salzburg) - £14.75
Was after a bunch of CB’s and ended up with the best available. Very satisfied with this transfer. Never had him before though.

Got rid of Mateusz Klich, Kiko Casilla, Gaetano Berardi, Rafa Mujica and Adam Forshaw.

Edited by MBJ96

Third season finished. There was a lot of up and downs. Did not perform continually. But ended as number six with 65 point. Three more as the second season. Scored 52 goals and conceded 36. Now I’m qualified for Europa Conference League. Lost the final in the Carabao Cup and lost in fifth round in the FA Cup vs Spurs.

Bought Ferland Mendy in January for £11m, and he did a great job together with Arana at left back. Was not satisfied with Curtis Jones, Jude Bellingham and Helder Costa. Kalvin Phillips was amazing, and David Neres and Marin Pongracic did great.

Preferred lineup this season:

GK: Timo Horn
RB: Louis Beyer
CB: Marin Pongracic
CB: Elias Machuca
LB: Ferland Mendy
CM: Jude Bellingham/Ilaix Moriba
RW: David Neres
LW: Curtis Jones

Now I want to buy a new winger, a right back, a central back.

Season 2 complete, massive overachieve really finishing 5th in the league, winning the league cup and a run to the quarters of the FA cup.

Stand out players were Haaland, Tricao, Bellingham & Kana.  Kenneh, McCalmont and Bogusz are all developing brilliantly, season 3 could be the year that Kenneh takes over from Phillips in the HB role.

Season 3 transfers in:

Itter - New left back was a priority, not convinced he's the long term solution, but the best I could do.

Dan-Axel Zagadou - Odd one this, looks like a very good player, but Dortmnd had him listed for £2.3m, probably a slight upgrade on Drongelen, but again probably not long term.

Valverde - Made perm for £4m following his loan

Fati - Got him on loan from Barca, he doesn't really fit my team immediately, but the long game here is to get him to love me and the club on the off chance that Barca list him or reduce demands, he'll get games on the right wing.

Nketiah - Again a loan, needed some solid backup for Haaland, proven in my system so easy decision

Outs

Cooper - £1m to Blackburn

Costa - £6m to Blackburn

Costa wasn't happy we wasn't getting games, which he never will whilst Trincao is fit, plus I got a decent LW prospect through youth intake, so another easy decision. I also got a 4.5 potential GK through which i'm really happy with, not a position i'm going to have to worry about for a long time now.

Still got £32m left for the January window, need a long term right back solution, but cannot find anyone right now.

Other good news is I managed to negotiate the release clause out of Haalands contract.

I'd be happy with a repeat of last season, the oldest player in my whole squad is Phillips at 25, I have 7 teenagers and most of the rest are 21-23.

28 minutes ago, MBJ96 said:

Which tactic are u using?

One I used in FM19, it's a 4-1-4-1. I posted it on FM Base.  It's a tweak of one I downloaded last year, but for the life of me can't remember what the original was.

If you want to try find it, it's called "Teenage Kicks" :thup:

1 hour ago, Coolio5 said:

I play 4141 too- very balanced tactic.

where to you play Bellingham? Jamie Shack has kept him out of my side (England regular).

I retrained him as the RM to replace Pablo, because he starts as a CM/AM, his stats now basically make him the complete wide player, he can create / score - basically do everything.  

I'm probably going to try re-train Fati as a Mezzala, I did the same with Arp in FM19.

Shackleton hasn't really had a look in for me, Bogusz and McCalmont have kept him out from the start. 

23 hours ago, macca72 said:

Here's Bogusz.

If his "pre-concern" becomes a request he'll be gone. No time for that sort of behaviour with me :herman:

Screenshot 2020-01-26 at 11.47.41.png

Wow! He looks great. I loaned him out to Pompey 2 years running and his development was meh...

Fouth season is done, and what a season it has been. Managed to get the sixth place in Premier League with 67 point. That’s better than the last seasons. But even more impressive. I made it all the way to the final in Europe League, which I lost in extra time vs Chelsea. Bad luck.

My top performers were Erling Haaland, who made 32 goals in 50 appearences, Kalvin Phillips, Nohan Kenneh and my central defence with Marin Pongracic and Presnel Kimpembe.

Bought Kimpembe for a big amount in the summer, but he is the only player to have played every minute of the season. In January I got Antony, and the Brazilian did very good on the right wing.

Preferred lineup:

GK: Timo Horn
RB: Kyle Walker (on loan)
CB: Marin Pongracic
CB: Presnel Kimpembe
CM: Ilaix Moriba/Jude Bellingham
RW: Antony
LW: Alex

15 minutes ago, Ronaldo Beckham said:

Yeah I am going to start a new long term save with Leeds once there is a data update with Augustin at Leeds.

He won't be in the official one as its a short term loan i think.. but he'll be in the unofficial ones i'm sure.

1 hour ago, Welshace said:

He won't be in the official one as its a short term loan i think.. but he'll be in the unofficial ones i'm sure.

Loan with an option to buy, so he should be in surely?

Also Poveda, he's not in touch at all, even with large db, so that will be an interesting one...

1 minute ago, macca72 said:

Loan with an option to buy, so he should be in surely?

Also Poveda, he's not in touch at all, even with large db, so that will be an interesting one...

Dont think he will be, option to sign isn't usually a factor...

Poveda has some skill in fm, but as is usually the case, he's a young player with no game time so he's pretty poor for first team football :

49QxvTL.png

17 minutes ago, macca72 said:

Augustin not being in the update would be a massive blow, I'd not bother with a fresh save.

Poveda one to develop along with the current crop though :thup:

I'll just add the loan in tbh .. i prefer playing with the official data updates, but i will add in important short term loans and transfers that are missed most of the time :)

Summer transfer window is a finished business, and now I am ready for the fifth season.

Transfers in:
Emil Audero (New first choice goalkeeper)
Jayden Bogle (Will play a lot at right back)
Kalidou Koulibaly (Got him for £4m. Still has one a two good years)
Tyrone Mings (Really much a backup for Mendy)
Alex (Loaned once again from Arsenal. Wonderkid)
Lee Wallace (Loaned from Chelsea. Wonderkid attacker)
Eduardo Camavinga (Loaned from Atlético – only paying cheap wages)

Transfers out:
Tyler Roberts - £12m
Helder Costa - £6.5m
Liam Cooper - £2m
Timo Horn (Loaned to Freiburg)

Udklip.png

Edited by MBJ96

19 hours ago, Welshace said:

I'll just add the loan in tbh .. i prefer playing with the official data updates, but i will add in important short term loans and transfers that are missed most of the time :)

Sadly playing FMT doesn't give me that option. Shame but can't do much about it.

On 27/01/2020 at 16:26, Welshace said:

That’s not true? A short term loan is up to 93 days, this is a loan until the end of the season. Crystal Palace signed Batshuyai in January and he was on the squad after the January update. 

Same way Nketiah won’t be on the Leeds squad after the update, Augustin will. Why would it be any different. 

5 hours ago, i3rooker said:

That’s not true? A short term loan is up to 93 days, this is a loan until the end of the season. Crystal Palace signed Batshuyai in January and he was on the squad after the January update. 

Same way Nketiah won’t be on the Leeds squad after the update, Augustin will. Why would it be any different. 

Hope so, we'll see.

On 15/01/2020 at 07:39, macca72 said:

Mateta looks good, few less than attractive mentals but ticks the Nketiah boxes.

Martinez is circa £20m, which is in budget but feels like a lot for a Haaland makeweight.  Ruidiaz is also good, but is 29 and against my philosophy.

Morelos is a possible, aggression worries me a bit but if i'm spending £20m, has to be someone with something a bit special as if Haaland was to become available in Jan, I'd probably have no budget left to do the deal.

Arp is also a loan possibility I reckon, he's played zero games for Bayern all season, I could get him for peanuts but no way will I meet his wage demands, he's already on 83k a week...

I managed to get Arp for 10.5m but on a wage of 105k pw.Maybe juggle the books lol

Fifth season is done with a second place in Premier League with 82 points. Lost the Europe League for the second year in a row, this time against Arsenal.

My standout players were Ilaix Moriba, Antony, Jayden Bogle and Jude Belling (finally!!!). Haaland did not have his best season, but scored 18 goals in Premier League.

Preferred lineup:
GK: Emil Audero
RB: Jayden Bogle
CB: Kalidou Koulibaly
CB: Presnel Kimpembe
CM: Jude Bellingham
CM: Ilaix Moriba
RW: Antony
LW: Alex (regen, loaned from Arsenal)
SS: Haaland

Also lot of playing time for Marin Pongracic, Elias Machuca, who has been transformed to RB and Kalvin Phillips.

Now I’m qualified for Champions League, and I want to challenge for the Premier League title. Got Reinier from Flamengo, and he looks absolutely stunning. Think that means Bellingham will play at left wing, which he is capable at.

Ideally I will get a new left back and buy someone, who can take compete with Haaland.

Not posted in a while, get caught up in the game and forget to post.

Story so far -

19/20 Season - Won the Championship at a canter with 105 points. Won 32, Draw 9, Lost 5 and scored 93 goals along the way. Nketiah was top scorer with 27 goals.

Transfers In

Reece Oxford - Loan (Cover for CB)
Francisco Trincao - Loan (Share the Left wing role with Harrison)

Transfers Out -

Bouy - £160k
Miazek - £75k
Various u23 players sent out on season long loans for experience

20/21 Season - Finshed 7th in my 1st season back in the big time on 55 points, bit of a wobble at the start but got going in the right direction by the end. Brewster top scorer with 26, followed by Arp on 25

Transfers In -

Trincao - £5m
Lucas Robertone - £5m
Lukas Mai - £130k
Birger Meling - £5.5m
Reece Oxford - £7.75m
Ben White - £17m
Fiete Arp - £10.5m
Rhian Brewster - Loan
Erik Botheim - £700k

Transfers Out -

Cooper - £11m
Bamford - £12m
Forshaw - £8.5m
Berardi - £4.5m
Various u23 players sent out on season long loans for experience

21/22 Season - Finished 5th on 65 points and qualifed for the Euro Cup and made it through the F.A Cup Final against Man U (not played this match yet)

Almada is an absolute steal at £5.75m, he's currently worth £35m, is only 21 years old, has some outstanding stats on the game and has chipped in with 28 goals from 45 games and 10 assists. Him and Arp lead the way with 26 goals each with 2 game remaining.

On another note Nohan Kenneh is classed as a Wonderkid at 19 years old....he's been getting mainly sub apperances this season after going out on loan previously but think next season could be his season to shine in the 1st team, plus got another 2-3 u23's who could be on the verge of stepping up too

Transfers In -

Scott Banks - £1.5m
Domenico Berardi - £15m
Thiago Almada - £5.75m
Sofiane Alakouch - £6.25m
Claud Adjapong - £5.5m
Joanthan Panzo -£6.75m
Nedim Bajrami -£1.7m
Predrag Rajkovic - £2m

Transfer Out -

Erik Botheim - £775k

Will update once I've played the Cup Final and gone through the transfer window, but think I need to strengthen the team to try and push for a Champions League spot and a good Euro Cup run, whilst fingers crossed trying to keep the likes of Arp and Almada from having there heads turned by Barcelona and Co.

Lewis Cook, Costa, Haaland, Pinamonti, Upmecano, Kang-In are all on the shortlist but we'll see what happens as I've not a pot of endless gold...lol #MOT

6 hours ago, MBJ96 said:

Take a look at Nohan Kenneh. He has been a regular since second season. In the first season he also played quite a few games. 

Udklip.png

Holy crap. I wish I played him as much as you did. Im at the same stage as you but did not play him as much. He is more BPD based but jezo that vision lol. My one only has 4 star potential now. currently at 3.5 ability. I wanted to fit him in but Kalvin Phillips is my main man at the heart of the midfield, and he never gets injured.

I have shack as a RB and now hes a england regular.Man is an animal.

I actually ended up selling McCalmot to arsenal for 60M.

Edmundson, youth striker, sold him to arsenal for 60m too.

Jury is still out on Bogusz. What you think of him? Im thinking about moving him on. I reckon I could get 60+ for him as hes home grown.

Just now, Irn Rvd said:

Holy crap. I wish I played him as much as you did. Im at the same stage as you but did not play him as much. He is more BPD based but jezo that vision lol. My one only has 4 star potential now. currently at 3.5 ability. I wanted to fit him in but Kalvin Phillips is my main man at the heart of the midfield, and he never gets injured.

I have shack as a RB and now hes a england regular.Man is an animal.

I actually ended up selling McCalmot to arsenal for 60M.

Edmundson, youth striker, sold him to arsenal for 60m too.

Jury is still out on Bogusz. What you think of him? Im thinking about moving him on. I reckon I could get 60+ for him as hes home grown.

oh and I sold Haaland to Madrid for 140 million. Not sure why but I could only get 6th four seasons in a row, so decided to change it up. Half way through the first season without him and we are second. So may work in the end.
I have Almada too. Morgan Gibbs-white is a great player btw once he matures if you need some home grown. Mcneil of Burnley is good if you can get him on the cheap. He is a late bloomer so he is still developing for me at 24-26 (also england regular). You can also turn Brooks into a false 9 monster if you get him early enough. I have all the best mental stats at 16+.

I bought grealish early too. I fell into the trap of thinking his real life talent was the same in FM. He is absolute crap on fm.

As you can see ive been hoarding English talent for a few years. The best thing is you can sell them on for a heavy price. I bought lookman for 6 million and sold him for 49m without really giving him much game time. Only used in europa league group stages against the easy teams.

Kenneh was the only of my talents who had become any good. Still got Shackleton, though he is a backup. 

I’m considering selling Haaland. So many crazy regens attackers has come out. But there are none central defenders...

Haaland wants to join Man City on my save despite about to win the PL- 8 points clear with 9 games to go 😬

I promised him we’d go far in the Champions League when I rejected their bid but I’m 2-1 down to Bayern Munich after the away leg of the first knockout round!

Liverpool fan here, rumor has it that Milner may rejoin Leeds after we win the PL (yes I'm saying we will win it now, held off until last week haha), can't blame him. Just as long as we get him back as a 1st team or academy coach when he retires ;) 

So there's a good transfer for you.

Would love to see Leeds and Forest come up, hope you two don't have to face each other in playoffs.

• 2 weeks later...
  • SI Staff
On 07/02/2020 at 07:43, tarzanofmars said:

Liverpool fan here, rumor has it that Milner may rejoin Leeds after we win the PL (yes I'm saying we will win it now, held off until last week haha), can't blame him. Just as long as we get him back as a 1st team or academy coach when he retires ;) 

So there's a good transfer for you.

Would love to see Leeds and Forest come up, hope you two don't have to face each other in playoffs.

Hasn't he just signed a new contract?

Finished my first season with Leeds since the data update. 3rd place with 93 points and lost in the playoffs to Blackburn, who were down to 10 men and losing. Really brought that Leeds mentality to the team!

Didnt make a single signing. Alioski didn’t play much and asked to leave then rejected all offers so I didn’t get any budget, similarly with Forshaw and Dallas. 

Augustin was decent but for 66k a week I wanted more than the 13 goals he managed. Costa was unbelievably good and got 14 even tho he missed 3 months with a broken ankle and Cooper got 10 from centre back. Bamford was another disappointment, only managing 6.

The youngsters are really impressive. Gotts played almost every game, and McCalmont and Boguzsz broke into the team a lot. Shack was my first sub most games but was largely average. 

Going into the second season I’ve kept Harrison for another year, replaced Augustin with Nketiah, and White with Eric Garcia. Also got Barjami from Benfica who looks a reallt good prospect at centre back. The squad feels stronger now so hopefully I’ll be able to get over the line 

GK: Casilla/Woodman

DR: Gotts/Ayling/Shackleton

DC: Garcia/Cooper/Barjami/Kenneh

DL: Douglas/Davis

DM: Phillips/Kenneh

CM: Klich/McCalmont/Boguzsz/Shackleton

AMR: Costa/Diangana

AML: Harrison/Roberts

ST: Nketiah/Bamford

Edited by Lambo95

• 2 weeks later...

I've completed my 1st season with Leeds. 1st time using the latest database update.

How are people managing the finances in the 2nd season?

I've been promoted as winners of the championship but we're £4-5 million in the red. I sold Kalvin Phillips to Liverpool in January 2020 for a payment in January 2021 of £45 million (with a 50% sell of fee clause) so this will be coming in 6-7 months time.

My board has given me a £40 million transfer kitty but I'm reluctant to spend any of it really in case we get into more finance trouble. 

Just finished up my second season with Leeds.

19/20: Season got off to a rough start, winless in 5 games, Pablo unhappy and playing god awful. Tweaked tactics slightly, Pablo no longer unhappy and won 10 in a row without conceding. Finished second to Fulham with 99 points, 30 wins, 9 draws and 7 losses. Scored 86 conceded 32. 

Signed a young CB from Levenkusen, Kevin Bukusu for 400k and sold Forshaw for 2.3m and Jordan Stevens for 156k.

Big Kev finished top scorer with 25 goals.

image.thumb.png.0a4a1e9d12392bbc6731b3e6536587f1.png 

20/21: Great first season, massively overachieved. We finished 8th after a hard fought battle with Spurs and Everton for 6th place but we came up short after an injury to Kiko Casilla and my lack of a real backup (the only game we won during this period was when we didn't allow West Ham a single shot.) We finished the season on 56 points, 16 wins, 8 draws and 14 losses with most of the losses coming against the top 6 sides. Highlights of the season was beating Man City 3-2 away from home after being 2-0 down and beating Everton 3-1 after they were coming off an 11-0 thrashing of Watford. 3rd round exit in Carling Cup to Arsenal and a 5th round exit to Norwich in the FA Cup.  Lowlights included Fulham doing the double over us, yet again. Back to Back losses to Everton and Spurs in GW 33+34 to eliminate us any chance of European football.

Transfers:

image.thumb.png.e443b9e3a6cb27668e5ba0397543abc0.png

Other notable transfers:

Danilo Cataldi on a free from Lazio.

Ayoze Perez on loan from Leicester.

Pablo left on a free to Al-Jazira.

Bamford left on loan to PSV, broke his ankle, then loaned to Standard Liege (Scoring 0 goals)

image.thumb.png.dfbe8cb70282d68c6ccb5e36fba960f7.png

Just started a leeds save yesterday to see how ıt goes with the team most of their own players.playing gegenpress 4141 but wıngers really inconsistent specially right wing pablo or alioski as inverted winger support because ayling fullback attack.ı reject lots of offers davis kenneh edmundson.I hope getting a good youth ıntake :) ım at the top of the table ıf ı get promoted wonder how ı change the squad.ıts goıng well 

Started a new save with the new update

Promoted to Premier League in first place after a very fierce competition with West Bromwich and Fulham.................... and I WON THE FA CUP

The most exciting moment was the FA cup final against Arsenal when I was 2-1 down at 83rd minute when Pellegri scored and followed by Luperto scoring in 90+2 to seal our spot in Europa league next season

I signed a lot of good prospects on compensation including Armini, Tramoni, and Mpie

Transfers included Pellegri, Luperto, Marin, Meling, Rafael, and Almada

Hi all, 

I've posted this in the tactics section also but just wanted some advise from players that have carried out a leeds save. 

As you can see I'm in my first season with Leeds and the results aren't exactly going to plan. 

My defense has been fairly solid however we've only picked up two wins from our league games. 

Just wanted to know if someone could provide me with some advice before the Board get fed up and sack me. 

Transfer window is now shut so not an awful lot I can do but this Leeds side should be good enough for promotion anyway without transfers. 

I did sell Dallas and brought in Josh Harrop as I needed more AM's. 

Cheers 

Leeds Save Results.PNG

Leeds Save.PNG

Edited by FM1993