I'm New To Football Manager😁 What Should I Know?

I've been playing the mobile version since FMM17, but i just recently bought a new PC, so I'm buying Football Manager.

The only thing i know about the PC version is from watching Lollujo videos on YouTube and various reviews videos i see.

I know it's a very comprehensive game and very very in-depth and realistic it could seem overwhelming.

So I'm asking here on this Forum

What do I need to know and do, concerning EVERY aspect of Football Manager to get the best out of it and have as much fun as i can?

Personally, I would recommend you start playing FM Touch on desktop, it has the essential stuff but is less likely to overwhelm you.

Obviously, you can post any questions here and people will happily help you.

42 minutes ago, Colorado said:

Personally, I would recommend you start playing FM Touch on desktop, it has the essential stuff but is less likely to overwhelm you.

Obviously, you can post any questions here and people will happily help you.

Thanks also. 

If you are married or have a girlfriend, take a photo of them now and write 'wife' or 'girlfriend' on the back, even better, their name, it will come in handy after you have forgotten what they look like.

I'd suggest the same as a few others, play FM Touch first, it'll get you nice and hooked to start with and when you move  over to the full version it'll be like the icing on the cake.  Start as your favourite team too, it's easier if you have familiarity with the players.

Don't be too disheartened if you're unsuccessful at first, it'll make the better times you have all the more sweet

It's super addictive though so you have been warned!  Every year I spend ages shopping around for the best price for the game so I can save a pound or two, which is hilarious considering the thousands i've spent on laptops/tablets/building computers almost exclusively for this game

57 minutes ago, bruntonpasty said:

If you are married or have a girlfriend, take a photo of them now and write 'wife' or 'girlfriend' on the back, even better, their name, it will come in handy after you have forgotten what they look like.

And give them a photo of you, so they remember what you looked like before FM took over, you haven't slept for 5 days and trying to stop a 6 game losing streak has broken your spirit! 

1 hour ago, Brother Ben said:

Every year I spend ages shopping around for the best price for the game so I can save a pound or two, which is hilarious considering the thousands i've spent on laptops/tablets/building computers almost exclusively for this game

You just won the forum :D.

My hints are:

Make use of the in-game tutorials, they're helpful for anybody but especially for newcomers.

Don't be afraid to ask people here for guidance.  This game is hard for most people (although there are some players who can just breeze through it, it seems!).

Be prepared to lose and get sacked.  It happens to (almost) everybody.

Most of all, have fun.

In terms of tactics, start super simple and only make minor, incremental changes over time once you have seen how the defaults play out. 

I think that the biggest mistakes new players make is changing too many things at once as this makes it really difficult to determine what affects what if things don't go as planned. 

15 hours ago, dap1987 said:

And give them a photo of you, so they remember what you looked like before FM took over, you haven't slept for 5 days and trying to stop a 6 game losing streak has broken your spirit! 

Make sure you draw on a big bushy beard if you don't already have one, as you're unlikely to be clean-shaven when they come looking for you. 

My main input; Be realistic in your expectations. While some can win the Premiership in the first season with Huddersfield, most can't. Even just avoiding the drop would be an achievement!

In all of your decision making as a manager: Forget pretty much everything you think you've "learned" from TV commentators. The game doesn't suscribe to much of what they tend to say (or it wouldn't be much like actual football). :D 

Archived