(Major Update 15/11/17) Oathbreaker - a Plug & Play 433 for FM18

UPDATE 15/11/17

New Version OATHKEEPER.fmf

Old version was great for Lower leagues, but inconsistent in higher leagues.

Now sorted, smashing Top League with a Top Team (harder than it sounds).

Testing with weaker team but I expect this to work with all teams, all levels.

Proper write up and further test results to follow.

English_Premier_Division_Overview_Stages

Greetings all,

Not sure if anyone's on here anymore but here we go.

I didn't post tactics for FM17, largely because Strikerless was OP and I refuse to play Strikerless tactics as a matter of principle.

I'm pleased to say FM18 is an entirely different beast and I intend to me more active on here this year.

Whilst it is still the Beta I feel I have a tactic offering a good level of over-performance whilst providing entertaining football, I would be interested to see how it goes in a Higher Division as i'm committed to long term Academy Saves these days.

In all likelihood the ME will be updated on release and this tactic will have a short lifespan, however, it might not and anything learnt would still be of use and interest in later versions of the ME no doubt. 

Anyway, enough preamble, Media Prediction 18th > Result 1st

Vanarama_National_League_North_Overview_

TACTIC

Stockport_County_Overview-2.png

DOWNLOAD

I Plug & Played this the whole season Home & Away, never changing the tactic in anyway for even 1 second :thup:

FM18 Touch (or those who do not wish to download) - Additional Player Instructions

GK - Distribute to Full Backs

Full Backs - Shoot Less Often

Centre Back - None

Central Midfielder - Shoot Less Often, Tackle Harder

Mezzalla - Shoot Less Often, Tackle Harder, Close Down Much More

All Strikers - Shoot Less Often, Tackle Harder, Close Down More

If anyone is interested i'll write up a synopsis of what is actually going on!

Enjoy, feedback welcome :thup:

433 Oathbreaker FR.fmf

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome Mr Rosler, I'm glad you'll be back this year, the forums aren't as active as they once were and I for one missed your tactics and insight last year! I agree on the strikerless thing, really bugged me last year, glad to see it's not an issue this year. Yet.

Anyway, I was trying to develop something similar, in terms of formation/shape at least, with my Liverpool side. I'll let you know how it goes!

Not too far off your 40 conceded in the whole season after 22 games so far with Salford @Mr U Rosler

Feels very inconsistent so far, some games it absolutely blows teams away, other games you're lucky to get a shot on target. One of my big issues using it is I can't really see where the chance creation is supposed to be coming from, it mostly seems to be seizing on opposition mistakes rather than building much itself. 

Hi Santy,

Thanks for the feedback.

Chance creation is largely from turn overs with balls played into the Channels for your wide Strikers to run onto and cross/or finish. In essence Counter Attacking, creating a lot of 3 on 2, 3 on 3, 3 on 4 situations.

It's not really about sustained possession, that wouldn't suit my Stockport side although obviously some goals come that way.

I wondered about my results as we put together a 19 game unbeaten run with sky high morale where we could do no wrong, made me consider if that was a major contributing factor.

I'm halfway into my Season in the National League with same team (didn't buy anyone), although the standard is higher, not much seemingly, i'm 4th. I'm actually scoring more goals, 50 in 24 games although I am now conceding a few more its still not tracking at much more than a goal a game.

I have noticed some games we give away a lot of clear cut chances and have been getting away with it whilst creating better chances ourselves. I put this down to the step up in class and our low rep causing AI teams to throw men forward.

Predicted 20th, I can only assume teams are gunning for me with our low reputation which is playing into our counter attacking hands. I'm expecting the mid season reputation adjustment now which might see teams 'sit off' us, be interesting to see how the rest of the season plays out.

I'll post up my 2nd season when I've finished.

Salford, who came up with me via the Play-Offs are top of the League!

Been giving this a try and was shocked by the lack of chances created by both sides. 

My AssMan suggested adding 3 TI's Pump the ball to the box, Hit early crosses and float crosses.  As soon as I added them, there were more chances for me with still low chances for the opposition but results were still decent. 

I am.playing with Portsmouth

The guy from sortitoutsi put this up over there, someone posted that it saved his Arsenal job, went on to win the Premier League with his strikers bagging 90 goals between them.

He did say he made a couple of tweaks, i'll find out what they are.

I was trying a similar 433 and then saw this. Immediately swapped mine over to this version instead. It was a slow burner but now I've got decent familiarity with the tactic, and my first team have good links/dynamics it's working really well. I'm in the Irish Division One and I've beaten 3 Prem sides in the cups (I'm in a final and semi-final so far), and after 12 games I'm 3rd in the table with 22 points (6W, 4D, 2L)

I've noticed a few things:

- Having good links in the team really improves the tactic. The moment I have 2 or more players out and there are replacements with weaker or no links it starts to fall a part and the chance creation drops

- It works much better against bigger teams where you are the underdog. I'm assuming it's because they leave themselves open to more counter attacks where you can use the 3 strikers to outnumber them.

- Whilst I normally have at least 50% possesions most of the key passes or assists are coming from longish balls from fullbacks and defenders, usually on the break.

- Using the basic analysis it says I've played 25 games using the 433 (some were my slightly different version last season, and a few games at the end of last season when I made the swap to this version), and created 59 chances (one every 39 mins). I've no idea whether this is high or low, but it feels low

- It is clearly working with a pretty poor quality squad. It feels (from all the wayward passes and poor shots) that with players that are better technically, and at making decisions, the overall performance would be much much better.

I'm enjoying it. I think this FM is the first I've felt like I could have more than 2 up front since FM13.

Thanks for the feedback peljam.

There is a lot more turnover of possession in FM18. In previous versions winning the ball from even non league teams was difficult.

Now you can build a tactic based on winning the ball and using it quickly.

So far, looks like Tiki-Taka is dead for all but the best teams.

Finished second season.

Step up in class following promotion, same squad as i'm doing an Academy Challenge. Wasn't sure what to expect, but very happy with 3rd place although I lost in the Play-off final.

Conceded a few more due to higher quality opposition but just missed out on scoring 100 league goals myself.

Predicted 20th so can't complain.

Vanarama_National_League_Overview_Stages

55 minutes ago, Rekoil said:

Good to see you back Mr R. Ive just downloaded to take a look at it but it's coming up with "This file could not be imported". Current version is 18.0.3b1036176 (m.e v1806) Any ideas??

Not seen that before.

There are 2 links, have you tried both?

Otherwise all the team and players instructions are there to copy.

3 minutes ago, Mr U Rosler said:

Not seen that before.

There are 2 links, have you tried both?

Otherwise all the team and players instructions are there to copy.

Tried both. Oh well, nevermind! Will have to try and create it manually.

Untitled.png.4a5a360ad8ff757d0748ba7439416123.png

just finished 3rd with Leicester in the Prem.  71 points, 77scored, 52 conceded.  I lost a lot of home games, with games where I had loads of chances but never really looked like scoring.  what characteristics do you look for in your forwards.  Vardy scored 23 in the middle position.  Iheanacho spent most of the season injured, and Mahrez did surprisingly well in the right sided forward position.

happy to a point with this though.  I was in 8th with my tactic, 6 points off the top when I started with this, so a definite improvement

Hi Rich,

First and foremost you need proper, natural, Strikers and a roster of 5 or 6 to cover for loss of form & injury.

Beyond that i'd look for Off the Ball, Teamwork along with high Composure & Finishing. The wide strikers need to be quick.

I personally wouldn't play Vardy in the Central role, I think he'd be more effective in the Right striking position.

Its helpful to think of the Central Striker as a passer/creator, and the Wide Strikers as Runner/Finishers.  

Averaging 2 goals a game is pretty good, but that defensive record looks poor although I note Leicester have pretty slow and immobile Centre Backs and the high defensive line will no doubt be causing you problems.

Once the game is fully released and we have a stable ME i'll jump up to the Premier League and see what's going on. Might take Leicester.

I've some ideas on tightening things up without blunting the attack too much but its a bit pointless at the moment as we could have an entirely different ME on Friday :thup:   

3rd season completed, just plug and playing.

Final Table

Media Prediction

Can't get much more extreme than that.

103 goals, 103 points. With original Stockport squad, no signings.

3 seasons so far;

Conference North Champions

3rd in National League

National League Champions

Mixed feelings about Friday, can achieve a lot with this ME but its a bit too easy at the moment.

On ‎07‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 16:34, Mr U Rosler said:

Hi Rich,

First and foremost you need proper, natural, Strikers and a roster of 5 or 6 to cover for loss of form & injury.

Beyond that i'd look for Off the Ball, Teamwork along with high Composure & Finishing. The wide strikers need to be quick.

I personally wouldn't play Vardy in the Central role, I think he'd be more effective in the Right striking position.

Its helpful to think of the Central Striker as a passer/creator, and the Wide Strikers as Runner/Finishers.  

Averaging 2 goals a game is pretty good, but that defensive record looks poor although I note Leicester have pretty slow and immobile Centre Backs and the high defensive line will no doubt be causing you problems.

Once the game is fully released and we have a stable ME i'll jump up to the Premier League and see what's going on. Might take Leicester.

I've some ideas on tightening things up without blunting the attack too much but its a bit pointless at the moment as we could have an entirely different ME on Friday :thup:   

cheers for this, I will tailor my side around this.  ive bought a couple of quicker CB's now as well, so hopefully that will improve

Welcome back Uwe! Great to see a friendly and helping face around again :)

I was very much underwhelmed by FM17 and I'm considering to let FM18 slide, the game just doesn't tick enough boxes with me anymore, missing a lot of immersion , simpleness (don't see the trees through the forest etc) and quickness (how slow has this beast become)... But please, KUTGW 'cause you never know I'll have a weak moment somewhere in the next 4 months (likely :p )

Thanks DJ,

Whilst learning anything new is a ball ache, particularly at my age, FM18 is pretty good so far with the potential to be very good so worth the investment in time & money (if you have some spare time).

I can't play a 'straight up' save anymore and only do Academy saves, seeing a 15 year old you developed play 900 games for the Club, non league through to the Premier League or seeing an England Team full of your Academy players certainly builds that immersion.

Keep an eye out on the Challenges forum, I put a Dulwich Hamlet Academy challenge up last year and will likely do something similar again, might get the old juices flowing again :thup:   

DJ if the pacing and complexity is an issue, my personal recommendation would be to switch to FM Touch. Made the leap a few years ago back when it was called Classic, and it revitalised FM for me as it got back to that PURE feeling of the older FMs and it's so much quicker.

48 minutes ago, Cloista said:

DJ if the pacing and complexity is an issue, my personal recommendation would be to switch to FM Touch. Made the leap a few years ago back when it was called Classic, and it revitalised FM for me as it got back to that PURE feeling of the older FMs and it's so much quicker.

While Touch has some things going for it, it also has some things going against it. The complexity in number of attributes and different kind of roles etc remains (that is wat I meant with I can't no longer see the trees because of the forest, too many roles, and too many attributes per player). While CM01/02 was maybe a bit too limited attribute wise, I think it went the other way.

Also, Touch then lacks is some vital features for someone like me, who like Mr Rosler, likes to develop youngsters. No tutoring etc. limits what you can do development wise.

Really, the perfect FM for me would be FIFA-like graphics (we almost all play FM because of our hero's and those are not Pep, José or Arsène, but rather Ronaldo, Bale, Lukaku, Griessman, Messi, Neymar,...) , a lot less roles and attributes (or maybe only show attributes relevant for the position (so no tackling, marking for a striker f.e.), and generally faster and smoother gameplay between the games in. Probably more things I would like to have changed but deadtired after a long and heavy week, so brain's kinda boiled soft :)

Archived