dafuge's FM18 challenge

3 minutes ago, Edwin_Poon said:

Anyone else suffering from spiralling debt?? Wage budget got cut from 10k p/w to 8k p/w then 7k p/w this season, with a 5.75k p/w budget for next season, I doubt I'll be able to put out a promotion winning squad! Do most board just wipe off the debt each season?

Welcome to lower league football! No really, most of us are hemorrhaging money each and every season. Hope for a cup run, otherwise you can't do much else than hope the board inject some cash into the club every now and then.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Handstar said:

Official Challenge Sign-Up

Royston.thumb.png.61cff69a5f6b588693e9f156be437481.png

Hopefully have a better time then I did with Hendon, now Linguin Cike has Royston as a new save!

Thanks to @Scab for download of team.

I just played them in the cup - was slightly amused to see a player called Vasey playing for them.

ALT_zpsmqwrqghe.jpg

League - Squad - Dynamics - Transfers - Finances 

A goal six minutes from time on the final day by Harry Limb clinched the National League as leaders Harrogate Town lost at Halifax. The Robins had endured a ding dong battle at the top with the Yorkshire side until The Town's challenge came unstuck losing their final two games where they just needed match Altrincham's results due to a far superior goal difference. With league status coming to the Manchester club , work is underway behind the scenes to attain professional status.  Moss Lane will also see a revamp . 

This season also brought the longest FA Cup run in the clubs recent history as following a convincing 6-1 win over Coalville the club were drawn against league one Cheltenham Town with Altrincham winning out on penalties following 2 1-1 draws. Burton Albion also of League one proved too strong in round 2 and were resounding winners at the Pirelli. 

Plans for next season is simply survival , from reading posts on here it appears my side is much weaker entering League Status .  Midfield will be the main area for upgrade as they wont cut it in League Two due to skill and age

cham7_zps0dv8fijl.png

@HighFlyingDwarf for update

48 minutes ago, XaW said:

Welcome to lower league football! No really, most of us are hemorrhaging money each and every season. Hope for a cup run, otherwise you can't do much else than hope the board inject some cash into the club every now and then.

ah, nooo. But surely there's a minimum wage budget?? Is it likely that I'll get some rich new owner or does that not happen at this level? :p

1 minute ago, Edwin_Poon said:

ah, nooo. But surely there's a minimum wage budget?? Is it likely that I'll get some rich new owner or does that not happen at this level? :p

If I remember correctly my weekly wage budget when I got promoted the first time was £3k, but I have no idea how low it can go. You could get a tycoon takeover, but I wouldn't count on it. I did get one last year I think. They gave me a transfer budget of I think around £10M or something while in the Vanarama. It was fun for a time, but felt like cheating after a while...

I'm starting to get swamped with job offers and interviews. The last one on the list is West Ham who are currently at 13th place in the Premier League.

t2ZSHWV.png

Though things are going great for us and we should be able to get a promotion this season.

eUWOWIc.png

2 minutes ago, Swindon69 said:

Nice going XaW

Thanks, I don't know why we are doing so much better this season, but I guess its because the players are improving. I haven't brought in many for the first team, most of the transfers is to fill out rotational spots. I'll take it though!

3 hours ago, Edwin_Poon said:

Anyone else suffering from spiralling debt?? Wage budget got cut from 10k p/w to 8k p/w then 7k p/w this season, with a 5.75k p/w budget for next season, I doubt I'll be able to put out a promotion winning squad! Do most board just wipe off the debt each season?

5a11bd2b75492_fianncesbad.thumb.JPG.a361d25642ea6eba78656daa06d656b4.JPG

Debt seems to be a big issues down here. Only thing that can save these clubs is a big FA cup tie. Surly it's not like that in real? 

AX3W05A.png

2019/20 Season

Vanarama National League North

League Table

Started off the season with a favourable fixture list which meant we got off to a good start with 4 wins and a draw in the first 5 games. After 2 draws and 2 losses in the next 4, we were fairly consistent for the rest of the season, never going more than 2 games without a win. Finishing the season in 3rd place and qualifying for the playoffs. AFC Fylde were first up in the semis and a late Adriano Moke goal gave us a 2-1 win. In the playoff final we were 2-1 down after 70 mins before Callum Wright and Malachi Linton scored after 72 and 82 mins to see us into the VNL.

Got through to the FA Cup first round, losing 2-1 to Fleetwood. The later rounds were all at home and an attendance of nearly 5000 in the Fleetwood game helped out finances considerably.

Malachi Linton - Loan signing from Crewe, got 21 goals and 12 assists in 30 apps in all competitions.

Joe Thompson - Another Crewe loanee and Linton's strike partner. 24 goals and 9 assists in 48 apps saw him do enough to win the clubs Player of the Year.

Youth Intake looks superb again. Tom Cousins probably the pick of the players but will struggle to get him game time in the VNL.

Finances are looking reasonable, thanks in part to the FA Cup gate receipts. Fluctuating between above and below a £0 overall balance.

I'm a few games into the new season, had a tough start as for most of the summer/pre season we were in the process of a board takeover. We were eventually taken over by Stafford Rangers Supporters Trust about a week before the league started, which left us rushing to get players in to compete. Seem to have things in order now and it seems to be shaping up to be a fairly respectable season, a long way to go though...

On ‎11‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 12:17, Dons said:

That's a nice feature. Will look forward to see how that goes - Also taking into consideration, what would happen, should your chairman choose to sell the club in the meantime.

Hopefully he has better luck with his stadium that I did with my stadium (with Chippenham) in FM17.  Board decided in my L2-->L1 season that a new stadium was needed.  1 year later they actually started the planning and construction.  Something like 6 construction overruns later (3 years) the stadium was built.  But by then I was in the EPL.  The new stadium was about 1k seat short of EPL standards.  So, they kept the ENTIRE stadium closed for a year while they installed a couple thousand extra seats.

I made it to the...28/29?  29/30 season?  never playing football in my own stadium.  All but that final year I played in the rental for Forest Green.  In my Championship season(s), I sold out their stadium.  In my first EPL season, still in the FG stadium, my attendance dropped from 5500 to 2000....as there is only 2K seats in the FG stadium...and EPL requires seats for their fans.

Mid way thru the consruction of the additional seats.....I had another construction overrun.

I quit  :p 

I have started with Hereford - will post screens later.

I am finding tactics really hard. I read about people successfully using 433, so I tried that, but it failed and created no chances. I have switched to a 442 and it got me my only victory so far. It is going to be a long season for Hereford.

About to start my first season in VNL (promising preseason, beat two League 2 teams 2-0, Gillingham and Grimsby, and beat Rangers away 2-1) and I just wanted to show off my new striker.  Liverpool actually released this guy!

OWiszZhh.jpg

Dulwich Hamlet - Season 3

If anyone was wondering if a 35 year old Wayne Rooney could cut it at League Two level, the answer is a resounding no.  He was bloody awful and shipped off as soon as possible for a few grand (50% of which went to him).  Season got off to a poor start as we lost Taylor-Crossdale thanks to a low release clause, I decided we might as well cash in on a few others as well to help pay off the stadium debt. Majority of our squad was supplemented with loans where we pay no wages, worked out really well for us as without the goals of Nmecha and Gomes we'd be so much worse off.  We're back in the black for now but still have the loan repayments which will eat into that and put us in the red again.   Good thing is we were getting crowds of over 4000 and now our new stadium is getting expanded a little bit further.  The bad news financially was getting dumped out of the FA Cup at the first time of asking by Hemel Hempstead Town :D  However our league form more than made up for it:

Table

5E99D6BD96460B2F1F0317BE6AF522D5B04CF61E

Transfers

Worth noting that 5 came in on deadline day after I panicked and realised we didn't have much of a squad left.

A141F440999DA83EAFF9DE460EF325EE5CFDD43F

Key Players

FCD0DAF7990DF59B7FCB9C9120785FE6928F8DEE

12B99825294D66580D90250F2512A067E00CDD1D

C5B8E16439D87A214C4FB81B432E977269855210

MCGP2Yv.jpg

Little 18/19 half season update. Started with only around 15 players at the entire club, so at first it was just a case of getting anyone in who could kick a ball without falling over. I did inherit a pretty good experienced GK though. 4 points clear is slightly better than I was expecting at this stage, but recent for has been poor, so I'm not relaxed yet.

I also had a fun little moment where one of my influential players threw a hissy fit for getting subbed, and brought half the squad with him. One game later I leave him on despite playing badly and he decides he's fine. I really hope this doesn't become a thing.

EEcnpLv.jpg

Season 2025/26 - The Rise of Kettering

League TableSquad | Transfers | Finances

Ladies and gentlemen, Kettering Town FC have finally achieved their 1st goal - reaching the fabled Premier League (in our 3rd season in the Championship). 

Started off my 3rd season the same way I had the 2 previous ones, looking for loans and players (maybe a bit older than I was willing to go last time) - I didn't want to spend another season in the league, and was going to gladly take in anyone who improved the team. After a pre-season friendly campaign that saw me win every game I was quite happy with what I had put together, and so far into the game some decent Championship level regens were starting to come through for me to take advantage of. And then the 'bug' struck - or atleast I think it's a bug. I had 3 games in 3 days...versus some really hard opponents. And ofcourse FM being FM, my form leading up to these fixtures was a complete mess. 

WmmaaIP.jpg

Naturally at this point I'm basically cursing SI and Miles (lol) and every other FM god out there. I had been having a good season up till this point, and this run of 4 defeats in 7 games not only pushed me down the table, but it also royally ****ed up my team morale. The thing with FM18 is, you NEED to keep your players happy, because they jump at every opportunity to run to newspapers to show a lack of faith in the manager (even if he led them to 3 back-to-back promotions pfft). And boy did that bad run last a while (as can be seen from my above screenshot) - but thankfully I pulled off some wins, got a string of performances together and players who wanted to leave/were unhappy came around. 

FF8NeOa.jpg 54qH5bS.jpg

I'm going to go ahead and mention 2 massive players for me above (I had a few more that I had to sell along the way to stay in the green, so won't talk about them). These 2 have been with me since Vanarama Leagues - and have been AMAZING. Though their attributes aren't the best, they've consistently put together good performances for me and I definitely owe a lot of success to them. But now that I'm in the Premier League it does look like I'll have to sell/drop them - will be hoping to get in better players. So sort of a bittersweet moment. 

I'm actually looking forward to the Premier League - oh I know I'm going to get slammed, but I'm finally in the big league and my rep has shot up, my transfer budget got a £25mil+ bump (!) and my wage budget went up 3x. Fun times. 

Season 2021/22 Review - Mickleover Sports in the Vanarama National League

League Table | Playoff | FA Trophy run | Season Review

Decided to completely change tactics, taking inspiration from a 4-1-4-1 that I used to play in @rancer890's asian challenge years ago with one winger pushed up to IF. It was hard to break down, scored on the counter, and strong on set pieces; all characteristics that seem to suit the current match engine. As sad as I feel about breaking up the Powell-Grayson partnership, the results speak for themselves: more points, fewer conceded, and just about the same goals scored. It's a little disappointing that player ratings seem to have suffered but we're definitely better organized, as evident from much smaller variances in results compared to the insanity that was last year's scorelines.

We are—to my great annoyance—still worst in the league at conceding corners (12) and not far off for IFKs (9). I'm beginning to think I won't be able to fix this any other way than signing taller players; the central defenders are the only ones with any notable aerial presence and I've noticed they're usually not the ones going in for challenges when we concede. By comparison, Carlisle conceded no corners and one IFK. If I could match that we'd actually be close to their goals conceded.

I'm frankly really frustrated with the Playoff match. We beat Leyton Orient both games last season and both games this season. They've never even scored on us before! We squandered five clear-cut chances and even more half-chances, then got punished on Extra Time. I don't even feel bad about losing to Carlisle in the FA Trophy final—they're an amazing team—but this one stung.

Squad | Transfers

Powell is still lighting the league on fire, if a few goals short of being Top Goalscorer this time around, and Marsh/Phillips do okay taking turns on the IF position. Aspinall had a good season too, keeping 16 clean sheets. It's hard to single out too many of them as overall player performance has gone down; it's very much a team effort that gets us results now, for better or worse.

For transfers, Edwards excites me a great deal as the new tactic is getting more assists out of the wing backs. He should be a good threat down the left for us next season. Perhaps as a Defensive Winger, actually; I'm not so sure he'll cope well with crosses to his far post as FB. In fact, I've already seen this problem in action with otherwise-impressive Reed. I still wish I could extend his loan, but Barnet seem to have bigger plans for him. Last but not least: Adam Flint. Picked him up from Histon when the scout claimed he had Championship level potential, then added now-retiring Bradbrook purely for tutoring purposes. He's mostly been getting games off the bench but his development has been impressive enough that I might just make room in the starting line-up.

Finances

So... Remember how I said I didn't think the cash injections would stop? Well, they stopped. Completely. That spike at the end is FA Trophy final gate receipts and sponsorships coming through so I suppose we're fine, but I'm a little puzzled as to why the board suddenly stopped keeping us in the black. Maybe those pockets aren't so deep after all.

On the upside, being some £100K in debt when it was time for contract negotiations prompted some players to accept pretty deep wage cuts, slicing our spending by ~£2,000 p/w. My only concern is that I may have set myself up for future unrest as some are now underpaid and not at all the "backup" I have them categorized as, which I suspect might cause some grumbling about improved deals in the future. Ah well, a problem for future me~.

Aim for next season: Title challenge. If only I could get these stinkin' set pieces sorted once and for all...

Season    League              Finish   Notes
2021/22   Vanarama National   2nd      Knocked out in Playoff 1st Rnd
2020/21   Vanarama National   5th      Knocked out in Playoff 1st Rnd
2019/20   Vanarama North      2nd      Promoted via Playoffs
2018/19   Vanarama North      16th     -

Grantham Town FC

Original Manager Profile 

2018/19 - Vanarama National North - 1st Place - | Squad | Season Summary | League Table | League Home Results | League Away Results | FA Cup Results | FA Trophy Results | Squad Dynamics | Injuries | Finances | Transfers | Board Confidence | Profile

2019/20 - Vanarama National League - 1st Place - | Squad | Season Summary | League Table | League Home Results | League Away Results | FA Cup Results | FA Trophy Results | Squad Dynamics | Injuries | Finances | Transfers | Board Confidence | Profile

2020/21 - Sky Bet League Two - 2nd Place - | Squad | Season Summary | League Table | League Home Results | League Away Results | FA/League Cup Results | Checkatrade Trophy Results | Squad Dynamics | Injuries | Finances | Transfers | Board Confidence | Profile

My aim in this challenge was to win every competition possible, unfortunately that one is done for another iteration of the game. Is it wrong that I'm disappointed in coming second?! It was a fair position, we only spent 5 weeks at 1st place, AFC Wimbledon were top for the rest of the time. We actually pulled in front of them towards the end of the season, however with injuries to two of my strikers, we were left with a full back and a youth player (who did pretty well!) upfront. Our form slipped and we ended up second.

Fantastic little cup run, knocking out Manchester City in the 3rd round, before being stuffed by Championship side Brighton. The board has just signed off on a 1k seat expansion at our new stadium, we'll be able to house ~5.1k supporters before the new season starts.

The Gingerbread Men march on.

@High Flying Dwarf tagged :)

XaW - Marine - 2024/25

Marine_F.C.logo.png

Table | Squad | Transfers | Finances

After out great 9th place last season I had hopes that a promotion could be possible this season, but I did not expect this! We just went out swinging and ran away with the whole thing early on. This was one of those seasons where everything went in our favor. An undeserved 5-1 win at Sheffield Utd is the most obvious game. We should have lost, looking at the stats, but 5-1 in ended. There's not much more to say. Though, we did have an unfortunate happening. Matt Lowton, our veteran with Premiership experience broke his leg and retired as a consequence. So, that was the downside of the season, everything else was just perfect.

In the FA Cup we beat Portsmouth and Rochdale before losing away to Arsenal in the 3rd round. In the Carabao Cup we lost to Macclesfield Town in the 1st round. In the Checkatrade Trophy we got past a group of Burton Albion, Man Utd U23s and Tranmere. Then we beat Sheffield Utd, Blackburn, Bury and Leicester U23s to get to the final. Here we beat Tottenham U23s to claim our first cup trophy!

My best players this season have been loanee striker Jim Barlow, striker Manesseh Koenraat and our midfield maestro Edvard Tagseth.

IiTFFBe.png

@High Flying Dwarf: Tagging you for update.

Marine_F.C.logo.png

Marine - End of Season 1 Review (18/19)

Season Report:

A tremendous season for the little club from Crosby as we managed to secure a promotion to the Vanarama National League through the Playoffs. Southport managed to clinch 1st position and automatic promotion with one game to go as we failed to get a result against Tamworth that ended our title hopes. We managed to finish in 2nd place even though the club was predicted to finish 19th. Some key signings and our counter attacking tactic helped us achieve the unexpected promotion. The 433 tactic was incredible for us. Just pump the ball to the 3 strikers to run onto and hope for the best was my thinking. This worked wonders and our 3 key strikers managed to score an incredible 99 goals between them over the course of the season.

We played Harrogate Town in the play off semi final. We had home advantage in front of a bumper crowd of 1,620 at Rossett Park. We dominated the game but could only manage a 1-1 draw so the game went to extra time. Ivor Lawton scored to give us a 2-1 advantage and we held on to give us the win and set up a playoff final match vs Kidderminster Harriers.

The play off final was held at our home stadium as we gained home advantage as the higher seeded team and 1,833 fans turned up to see the final . Matty Hamilton gave us the lead in the first half after a long ball over the top and George Hassall doubled the lead on 36 minutes with a header. Second half Kidderminster pulled a goal back after 74 mins and then a own goal by Elliot Legg in the 76th minute made the game 2-2 and the game went into extra time. Kidderminster took the lead in the 92nd minute of extra time but an own goal by Kidderminsters Goalkeeper in the 112 minute sent the game to a penalty shootout.

Fm1.thumb.png.ad6261b9a3699a35870aa81d7dbf6856.png   

We won the penalty shootout as our goalkeeper Harry Turner saved the final penalty that sent it to sudden death. Hamilton scored the 6th penalty and once again Turner saved the penalty to give us the win and clinch promotion to the Vanarama National League. A fantastic game to end the season that could of gone either way. Amazing end to the season from the lads and I have no nails left.

PO1.thumb.png.356c88202df3cb83a741afdd7ab2e782.png  PO2.thumb.png.bb5e3b1bcd3df5d0468f4df2e1555a48.png  Table.thumb.png.637d09e1847b64605999f72164c1f9d8.png 

Transfers and Loans:

After the last update we managed to sign a few loan players to give the squad more depth and strength in numbers. Left back Ben Kitchen came in on loan from Nottingham Forrest and played 45 games with a rating of 7.17. Two center midfielders came in from Wrexham as we loaned Ivor Lawton (7.21 - 29 games) & Jack finch (7.36 - 33 games) for the season. we also managed to secure the loan of  young striker Owen Bridge  from Fleetwood Town as a back up striker. After the season started we picked a few more players on free transfers. Former Leicester City youth Morgan Brown, Goalkeeper Harry Turner joined after he left Fleetwood Town and former Newcastle United player Yannick Aziakonou joined the team.

Transfers.thumb.png.bc56490144c645207228475b467d5dcb.png  Squad.thumb.png.f38641764036153d4f8f842171cf3e41.png

Key Stats and Records:
Top goal scorers: Lee Hetherington (35) - George Hassall - (33) Matty Hamilton (31)
Most assists: George Hassall (23) - Lee Hetherington (20) - Matty Hamilton (14)
Average Rating: George Hassall (7.60) - Lee Hetherington (7.58) - Jack Finch (7.36)

Season 20/21 Targets:
- Survive relegation.
- A decent cup run in both cups.
- Improve numbers and quality of backroom team.
- Get a long term contract at the club

Career History:

Season   |   League           Position       FA Cup         FA Trophy       League Cup       Europe      Note
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2018/19  |   Vanarama North     2nd        3rd Qual Rd       2nd Rd            N/A            N/A        Playoff Winners
2019/20  |   Vanarama Premier 

Career Stats:

Played  |  W  |  D  |  L  |  For  |  Against  |  Win %  |  Time at club  |  Earnings  |  Trophies  | Total Transfers (£)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  49       31    10    8     131       74         63%        327 days         £19k          0               0

Club Information:

Season   |  Stadium  |  Av Attendance  |  Season Tickets  |  Training Facilities  | Youth Facilities  |  Youth Recruitment
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2018/19  |   3,185          647                124             Poor Facilities       Poor Facilities         Limited
2019/20  |   4,435                             191

1 hour ago, DizzyIzzyB13 said:

After instantly losing my Brightlingsea save to a stupid bug, I didn't have the same motivation to reload, so I took the first 1750 team I could. So now I'm the new manager of Lancaster City. I've checked and I've avoided that weird contract bug, so this time, I actually get to play the game!

Good luck mate :) What was the contract bug?

9 hours ago, Swindon69 said:

@XaW Plenty of entertainment for your fans there - congrats.

Thanks! We somehow played better than every. I'm a bit weary for how we will cope in the Championship, but a couple of my players are already rated as good or decent players for that level, so I at least hope we'll survive.

@PS-GamerNeil: You have started better with Marine than I, so hopefully you'll keep rushing up the tiers. I didn't get out of the Vanarama North until my 3rd season, so you're way ahead. I also got that upgrade to the stadium, it's league regulations, so I guess there's no way out of it.

Good luck with Lancaster @DizzyIzzyB13! And good luck to everyone else who have posted as well!

Billericay_Town_F.C._Logo.png.32bd70e6111cc19005a97e661d1ec766.png

Billericay Town F.C. 

Season Update 2018-2019

Table | Squad | Transfers | Finances | Youth Intake | Injury Summary | Manager Profile

Fixtures 1 | Fixtures 2 | Fixtures 3

Board Expectations & Achieved

Vanarama National South: Win League | Won Title

English FA Cup: Reach First Round | Reached Third Round got knocked out by Wigan Athletic

English FA Trophy: Reach Second Round | Reached Third Round got knocked out by Dagenham & Redbridge

So overall overachieved on the board's expectations!

In the league, we literally ran through all the opponents and were rampant until the turn of the year. Showing great form through the first half of the season losing only 1 game. Craig Mackall-Smith made the lone striker position his own with some good goalscoring streaks pushing Louie Theophanous down the order until October. Come October and Louie blossomed into a beast pushing Craig out and keeping him out for the rest of the season. With Craig going through a bad patch scoring only 1 goal in the second half of the season. Asa Hall and Jamie O'Hara bossed the midfield, with the wingers equally effective in providing the assist.

Asa Hall's influence was sorely missed in the final third of the season when he got injured for 4 weeks early March. His injury resulted in our team going through a rough patch of form. After having held the lead at the top of the table for most of the season with ease it felt like a challenge to hold on and Welling United started breathing down our neck in the final run in. With the last few matches being played with both the of us Billericay Town F.C. and Welling United on equal points and we being ahead on a higher goal difference.

Chirag_Vadgama_Inbox_10.png

We definitely bottled up our last few games winning just 4 in 10 games and dropping down the form table further with 1 win in last 6 games. It was pure luck that we did not end up conceding the title to Welling United as they were on same points going into final day. Having drawn our last match, we need Braintree to do us a favour and they did that barely by winning the match 3-2 in the final minutes. Giving us the title win with 1 point! This has to be my one of the closest title wins all my decades playing this game!

Chirag_Vadgama_Inbox_17.png

Our finances through the year were in Red, however, few timely injections by the Chairman kept us from going into administration. 2 cash injections of 400k and 1 of 1.8mil euros helped us end the season in the positive.

Despite a very weak financial situation, the board thought it was necessary to build a new stadium.

Chirag_Vadgama_Inbox_15.png

We are also getting a Youth Facilities upgrade, happy about that.

Chirag_Vadgama_Inbox_19.png

Top Goalscorers: Louie Theophanous (37) | Craig Mackall-Smith (17)

Most Assists: Ricky Modeste (14) | Jamie O'Hara (12)

Retirements at the club: Jermaine Pennant | Danny Pugh | Adebayo Akinfenwa | Paul Konchesky

Other News

Manchester United, Real Madrid, Bayern, Juventus, PSG, Celtic, PSV win the respective titles.

Manager favorite Reading FC won the title beating out bigger names like Everton, Newcastle and the likes under the leadership of Phil Parkinson. Expected to finish 17th this was a massive overachievement.

England won the world cup!

Next Season

Expecting to finish at least in the top half or higher with some right additions in the Vanarama National League and hoping for a good cup run.

Season    League              Position     FA Cup           FA Trophy                  Achievements/Notes               
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2018/19   Vanarama South       1st        3rd Round         3rd Round                        Winner                         

@HighFlyingDwarf

2 hours ago, XaW said:

Thanks! We somehow played better than every. I'm a bit weary for how we will cope in the Championship, but a couple of my players are already rated as good or decent players for that level, so I at least hope we'll survive.

@PS-GamerNeil: You have started better with Marine than I, so hopefully you'll keep rushing up the tiers. I didn't get out of the Vanarama North until my 3rd season, so you're way ahead. I also got that upgrade to the stadium, it's league regulations, so I guess there's no way out of it.

Good luck with Lancaster @DizzyIzzyB13! And good luck to everyone else who have posted as well!

Was surprised how well my first season went. Tactic is so important at this level and it may not work as we progress up leagues and might have to tweak as we go.  Doing well in second season too and could be in line for back to back promotions. My club rep and money worry me though. If I go up too quick and my rep takes time to catch up then I may struggle to bring in the right players. 

Loans have been so key for me in first two seasons. Two or three quality players on loan can make your season.  Got some amazing loans in so far this season that should help me finish in at least playoffs if they stay fit. Will post pics when I load up game. 

@XaW just a few quick questions regarding your save with marine.

1. Being in heavy debt the board wont give me any extra spaces for staff, improve any facilities and wont even send me on coaching courses and this could stutter my progress. Did you manage to get any of these while in debt?

2. We only started with an Under 18 squad of greyed out players. Have you been successful in getting your under 18s into the youth league system? what do I need to improve to get mine in?

3. Any idea if we will ever get a under 23 squad tab yet? or is it hard coded into the game that we will only ever have a under 18's tab?

4. Have you used the same/similar tactic since the start or have you found that further up the league you needed to change your setup to suit the increased level of players?

Much appreciated :)

35 minutes ago, PS-GamerNeil said:

1. Being in heavy debt the board wont give me any extra spaces for staff, improve any facilities and wont even send me on coaching courses and this could stutter my progress. Did you manage to get any of these while in debt?

I got far in the FA Cup once and got an away draw to Tottenham. Really, that was the main thing. I'm way back into debt now, and I really need some cash.

36 minutes ago, PS-GamerNeil said:

2. We only started with an Under 18 squad of greyed out players. Have you been successful in getting your under 18s into the youth league system? what do I need to improve to get mine in?

I have had good youth intakes, but I have also managed to improve my youth recruitment and youth coaching quite a lot, and I did so when I had money. I also got the youth level improved then. I mostly have gotten 1 or maybe 2 players who have any talent and might succeed, but I've kept most with some hint of talent and or good personality or determination. I did this to help with the squad personality so the talented ones don't lose determination because of the low squad average (I've played the youth challenges a lot, so I've somewhat incorporated it into this save).

38 minutes ago, PS-GamerNeil said:

3. Any idea if we will ever get a under 23 squad tab yet? or is it hard coded into the game that we will only ever have a under 18's tab?

I've read somewhere it's possible to get it, but I haven't had the option yet. I might need a higher youth level, or maybe just higher rep. I don't know, but I'm keeping a lookout for it.

39 minutes ago, PS-GamerNeil said:

4. Have you used the same/similar tactic since the start or have you found that further up the league you needed to change your setup to suit the increased level of players?

I've kept the base 4-3-3 since I found it working in Vanarama North. I have made a lot of changes to it and to the players roles to fit how I want to play, but I still play a hoofball-ish type. I'm really not good at tactics, so as soon as I find something working, I tend to stick with it until I feel I need to tweak it. I also do a lot of in-game changes and try to note what works in specific situations so I can do the same next time, or something similar.

Thanks for reply @XaW

Would be nice to get some upgraded youth facilities and recruitment but I suppose this save is all about the first team and bringing in players for now to get up the leagues. Youth progress is not going to happen anytime soon unless I get some money into the club. Just drawn League One side Doncaster at home in FA Cup 2nd round so I don't think that is going to get me out of debt haha. Would love an away game at "big" club like spurs to boost the clubs money but cant see it happening this season.

Defensively with my current tactic we are not great. Not sure if its the current players in the team or my tactical setup but as long as I can score more goals then the other team then I will keep winning. I may be vulnerable in higher leagues but will just have to tinker until I can sort it out at the back.

2 minutes ago, PS-GamerNeil said:

Thanks for reply @XaW

Would be nice to get some upgraded youth facilities and recruitment but I suppose this save is all about the first team and bringing in players for now to get up the leagues. Youth progress is not going to happen anytime soon unless I get some money into the club. Just drawn League One side Doncaster at home in FA Cup 2nd round so I don't think that is going to get me out of debt haha. Would love an away game at "big" club like spurs to boost the clubs money but cant see it happening this season.

Defensively with my current tactic we are not great. Not sure if its the current players in the team or my tactical setup but as long as I can score more goals then the other team then I will keep winning. I may be vulnerable in higher leagues but will just have to tinker until I can sort it out at the back.

Yeah, the focus is here and now for me as well, I just really enjoy youth development, and once I'm either finished or give up here I'm starting a youth challenge. The finances is always an issue, but I have had luck in sales as well this year. Lots of sales around £100k for ok-ish players, it helps a bit at least.

I've never been good at tactics and at the start I tried to defend and counter my way to points, but I conceded a lot anyway, so I figured I'd try to outscore the opponent instead. I have a lot of 5-4 and similar wins. Italians would not like my way of managing! ;)

Archived