The 8th Annual FMCU Awards - Awards Night

deltablue

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, ManUtd1 said:

Make it a one vote win for @BoxToBox... He got my vote, and deserves it!

Yeah, you'd like that wouldn't you - "one vote win", shaking my head!

To be serious, to have the two of you at the top of that award is very warranted. Brilliant year.

Right, looks like most awards were deserved, or at least I think so given that at least some 5 categories went exactly for who I had voted for. Congrats!

Now... as for the real question. Where's the after-party?

I think it's been a terrific season!

I joined this part of the forum just a year and a month ago, and it's been a fantastic time! 

Lots of great people, and I really enjoyed playing and writing for my tread until I lost time and momentum to continue it.

Congratulations to the winners, and @deltablue, great job continuing with the awards show. It's great to acknowledge each other like this!

So a recap of the winners...
Fountain of Youth: Football, Fire and Ice (Jimbo)
Best Journeyman: If you're not first, you're last (ManUtd1)
Best Thread Name: There's Norway I'd go Oslo as that (Keano)
Best Team: Fiorentina (ManUtd1)
Best Newcomer: Trman73
Best Poster: ManUtd1
Best Retro Career: Second Star to the Right (deltablue)
Best Career Thread: If you're not first, you're last (ManUtd1)
Best Manager: Box2Box

And here are the top 10 by total votes.

ManUtd1: 47 (5)

Makoto Nakamura: 20 (6)

Box2Box: 20 (4)

Jupjamie: 12 (3)

Trman73: 12

PH71: 12 (2)

Jimbokav: 11 (4)

Deltablue: 10

Benjoe: 9 (4)

Keano: 8 (2)

For comparision, last year the most anyone got was a 3-way tie with 19, I don't know for sure what the record is, but whatever it was @ManUtd1 has surely smashed it to pieces. 4 awards is probably a new record as well (we've had 3 a few times, but I can't remember more than that), even without adding Manager of the Year to that.

Over the past week I've found it amusing that @Makoto Nakamura looked set for a clear second place overall without winning a single award (though he tied with Box2Box in the end). That's partly why I decided to give him his own 'Best Thread Name' section, to make up for it. Stick to one thread next time and you'll surely romp home to a couple of awards next year ;)

And that's a wrap! Great awards show again @deltablue, and congratulations to all the winners and nominees, especially @ManUtd1 and @BoxToBox for their extraordinary achievements over the past 365 days. You guys are the shining stars of this community, no doubt.

I can tell you that Hans is very pleased with his single vote. It's a sign that the baldness is slowly but surely taking hold. Thanks so much to whoever voted for me, this will only inspire me to keep making content and get more and more involved in the community. Cheers everyone!

Well this year has been tremendous fun as ever. If it was just me trying to be funny it wouldn't be that entertaining, but some of the stuff you guys came up with to post tonight was just brilliant and I think the thread flowed incredibly well. Thanks to all of you for taking part with your votes and amazing threads, and big congratulations to all the winners, and other contenders who still put up a great fight.

I think a lot of credit has to go to the people showing interest and commenting on other people's threads as well. 

I mean, there are only so few post/view ratio warriors out there and, a lot of the momentum is provided through interest in the thread and the way people interact with the thread author. Personally I have threads for my own interest, but the interest makes me happy and have an even better time. I couldn't have had this much fun without the people who commented in my thread, or started other threads that I liked and commented in. 

Brilliant season and year. Let's have another one next time!

Just now, Makoto Nakamura said:

Amazing year and amazing threads all round, here's to another great year with fm18! 

FM18 may change the dynamics of the entire community.

3 minutes ago, Benjoe said:

I think a lot of credit has to go to the people showing interest and commenting on other people's threads as well. 

I mean, there are only so few post/view ratio warriors out there and, a lot of the momentum is provided through interest in the thread and the way people interact with the thread author. Personally I have threads for my own interest, but the interest makes me happy and have an even better time. I couldn't have had this much fun without the people who commented in my thread, or started other threads that I liked and commented in. 

Brilliant season and year. Let's have another one next time!

My sentiments exactly, and what I was trying to get at earlier in the thread. Well said :applause:

Just now, ManUtd1 said:

My sentiments exactly, and what I was trying to get at earlier in the thread. Well said :applause:

I agreed wholly with you - this forum is what we make it. 

Having a thread running is great, and we need to support each other in it, and spend some time in seeing other people's thread and ideas. This year was a great (almost) debut for me, and I can't wait for next one. 

Let's keep FMCU great again next year.

#VoteNelsonForPresident.

Just wanted to say thank you to all you guys on fmcu for all the great threads on here. I appreciate the time and effort you've put in. Oh, and I'm appalled by the way you've all been treating dear Miss Piggy. You should all be ashamed of yourself. 

Well done to everyone, and sorry I missed the awards ceremony itself. Didn't get in from work until 10pm, and then had dinner watching Match of the Day. Looks like I missed a cracking night :) Looking forward to FM18 already, and another shot at at least getting a nomination. Great hosting as always Deltablue :)

I would just like to say a huge congratulations to not just the winners last night, but also those who were nominated but didn't win. Compared to other parts of this forum, it's honestly a joy to be a part of, (and I'm a grumpy old man!) :kriss:

As well as being ridiculously easy to moderate, (that's not an easy thing to achieve on any internet forum), it's also really easy to dip in and out of, (like a lot of people do as interest in different styles of the game boom and then fall back). The standard of the updates has really blossomed in the last few years to such an extent that I can think of some good threads that didn't even receive a single nomination. The likes of @ManUtd1 @Jupjamie @BoxToBox and @Makoto Nakamura , (and many others actually), are really positive influences on the forum and really put a lot of effort into other people's threads. There is nothing wrong with just coming i and reading without posting, or just posting in your own thread, but there are quite a few people who really go the extra mile and it's they who really make this forum what it is. 

Lastly I think we should thank @deltablue and @dafuge for moderating the forum. I know it doesn't tame much moderating, but without them willing to do so the forum wouldn't exist, so thank you both. 

The standard in here has really exploded in the last few years to such an extent that where as @dafugewould usually collect as many trophies as he wanted, this year I think he wasn't actually that close to winning anything, (which is quite remarkable considering how good his Journeyman thread is).

Occasionally I go through stages of not playing the game as much as I usually do, (or occasionally not playing at all), but even when I am not playing, I still log in here and have a little look at who is doing what. I wish I had more time to read more threads, (how the hell am I going to catch up with the 97 page @ManUtd1thread for example?), but I really want to. If you don't ream many threads, or only read threads by certain posters or with certain tags, then I urge you to try and broaden your horizons and occasionally try something new. Sometimes a thread with a game style or posting style that isn't quite what you are looking for, can give you fresh new ideas both in the game and on the forum. 

Anyway, well done again to all and let's hope we enjoy FM18 as much as we seem to have enjoyed FM17.:applause:

11 hours ago, deltablue said:

So a recap of the winners...

Fountain of Youth: Football, Fire and Ice (Jimbo)

Best Journeyman: If you're not first, you're last (ManUtd1). (To anyone who hasn't read this in full, if you have the time then I urge you to do so. I haven't read it all but I am adamant that I will have done so by the time that I press play on FM18 for the 1st time). 

Best Thread Name: There's Norway I'd go Oslo as that (Keano)

Best Team: Fiorentina (ManUtd1)

Best Newcomer: Trman73

Best Poster: ManUtd1 By the way. Please don't think that @ManUtd1won this award for the excellence of his updates in his own amazing thread, I mean he did, but he didn't win it JUST for that, If you look at how he posts in other threads and you look at how helpful and supportive and interested he is, THAT is why I would have voted for him in this category even if his own thread had been pants, (which it clearly isn't).

Best Retro Career: Second Star to the Right (deltablue)

Best Career Thread: If you're not first, you're last (ManUtd1)

Best Manager: Box2Box

Just in case some of you wanted to read some of the award winning threads, I have edited the post by @deltablueto include links to the relevant threads. Where the winner isn't a specific thread, (Best Poster or Best Manager for example), I will link to their most popular threads if I can find them. 

Dafuge hasn't been a mod for a few years now, and he was a CSE mod anyway ;)

I've added 'stars' to a few threads on the main page. Theoretically they're for pinpointing useful/important threads as a way of cutting down on stickies. I experimented by marking my own, which helped make it easier to find. The trouble is I'm so used to it now that I'm getting very confused at the moment seeing other threads with a star and having to remember it's not mine :D

2 hours ago, Jimbokav1971 said:

The standard in here has really exploded in the last few years to such an extent that where as @dafugewould usually collect as many trophies as he wanted, this year I think he wasn't actually that close to winning anything, (which is quite remarkable considering how good his Journeyman thread is).

Absolutely, the quality and variety of threads has improved massively since this place first started.

This year wasn't a great one for me, both my South American threads ended due to the same game breaking bug. It was nice to see my Pompey thread nominated a couple of times, originally I wasn't even going to have a thread for that as it was just a save to keep me occupied until FM18.

Archived