Euro Memories

bestbrother

• Administrators

One memorable goal from each of the tournaments I recall properly.

[video=dailymotion;xv9xqf]http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xv9xqf_bulgaria-romania-euro-1996-stoichkov_sport

[video=youtube;jTZeycgafC0]

[video=youtube;0eylReIkJXA]

(Larsson obvs)

[video=youtube;f_3t6wv-KOE]

(What a bloody game that was)

And since I can't embed a fifth, Balo :cool:

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I probably remember Euro 92 more than any of the 2000s tournaments because I had a VHS of the tournament that I used to watch constantly when I was younger :D

Scotland played well against Holland in the first game, but we lost to a Dennis Bergkamp goal. Against Germany, I remember two quite spawny goals (2nd was a deflection off a defender and looped over the keeper) and then we hammered the CIS 3-0. Away from Scotland, there was quite a lot to remember from that tournament - Boli nutting Pearce, Pearce rattling the bar from something like 25-30 yards in that France game, England having players like Keith Curle getting caps V Denmark and of course Tomas Brolin looking a great player, moving to England and then not looking like a good player

the Semi Finals were great games as well, Denmark V Netherlands went to pens with Schmeichel saving from Van Basten and Sweden/Germany was a 3-2 game where a lot of Germany's games were mostly wondering how Thomas Hassler managed to score the FKs he did. Of course you also had Denmark coming off the beach to fill in for Yugoslavia and the fairytale ending with them winning it, I wonder if Henrik Larsen did anything much in his career apart from that tournament?

BT Sport are re-running Euro 96 across their various channels starting tomorrow.

Immense.

From 7pm tonight on BT Sport Europe:

England v Switzerland

Spain v Bulgaria

Germany v Czech Republic

Denmark v Portugal

Hour long programme on each.

'92 sticks in my memory much more than '96, for some reason. Probably because I played for an Under-11s team then and we all named ourselves after our Danish counterpart and began calling each other by these names on the pitch, meaning for a while I was Torben Piechnik.

"Brolin, Dahlin, Brolin, Dahlin, Brolin!". Bah. Turnip Out.

Just how did Taylor stay on after 92 anyway?

If you look through the F. A.'s manager history, they don't sack managers unless they fail to qualify (and sometimes they still keep them) or if it's political/personal. Their minimum requirement seems to just be qualification.

Robson stayed and he failed to qualify and I think in Euro 88 lost all 3 group games including Republic of Ireland. Even Sven was kept on for 2006 after he'd very openly courted any sheikh, club or woman with an offer. To a lesser extent, you've got Capello and Roy staying on despite some awful performances.

Another reason was that Euro 92 was his first tournament, he managed to qualify, so he was given another chance.

Yeah but taking World Cup semi-finalists and getting two 0-0 draws and losing to Sweden? They weren't great in qualifying either.

IIRC were we not unbeaten for a good length of time before the tournament? I seem to remember it being a weird time to watch England, because even I as a child could see the side were not a patch on the Italia 90 outfit, and Taylor was 'experimenting' a great deal, but we seemed to still get ugly results. We were unbeaten in qualifying too, despite being in poor shape - I think we only played Ireland, Poland and Turkey in our group, and the latter two were nowhere near as good as they are now, but we managed to scrape a 1-0 with Dennis Wise punching the ball into the net.

Watching it right now. Can't wait to find out how it ends. :p

I enjoyed watching some of those classic matches the BBC showed again before the World Cup in 2014, and this is just as exciting.

I would have loved to have experienced Euro 96 when it was actually taking place. I was six years old at the time and didn't even know what football was (the 1998 World Cup was my first experience of being disappointed by England).

Love watching the studio analysis from these old games. The actual match footage you've seen a million times, but reliving this stuff here at half time is sensational. "England can't pass it", "Gascoigne doesn't look fit enough" etc. Shame Jimmy Hill hasn't got his England bow tie on.

Watching the TV coverage from 20 years ago really is fascinating. When was the last time the England manager was interviewed at half-time?

Also, I'm glad Venables brought Jamie Redknapp on. He's a top, top player. :p

Love watching the studio analysis from these old games. The actual match footage you've seen a million times, but reliving this stuff here at half time is sensational. "England can't pass it", "Gascoigne doesn't look fit enough" etc. Shame Jimmy Hill hasn't got his England bow tie on.

Did Hill give it the whole "play Gascoigne up the field" ********? Assume he stopped that after the Dutch game.

Even though England flopped, I think 88 was my favourite tournament because the Dutch had so many true World Class players. I thought the team they had was something special. Also it was the first Euro I remember watching. For some reason I can't remember anything of France 84. I remember reading in the papers about it at the time. But have no recollection of any of the matches.

The main thing about 96 for me wasn't so much Gazza's goal, but from what I remember they won a penalty shoot out vs Spain. Also I was walking my dog one day near a hotel, and the Romanian national team pulled up right next to it in a coach. Hagi and everyone got off it, just as I was walking by, so saw them too!

There are a lot of Euro 96 documentaries to catch up on. One on Radio 5 last night... although I was a bit suspicious when one of the supposed commentaries self referenced the station calling it "5 Live". It wasn't called 5 Live was it then? It was just plain Radio 5 wasn't it?

• 3 weeks later...

Just watching the "on this day" flashback thing on the Euros website. Rui Costa's goal VS us in 2004...what on earth was Phil Neville trying to do before he hit that. A woeful attempt at stopping him. He was such a horror show of a player.

Archived