The All New FMCU Quiz! (And Scandinavian Music Thread)

deltablue

1. I know them, but I'm not sure I spelled their names right...

2. Had to guess, I know one team it definately is not!

3. Basic history, come on :p

4. Thank you, Civilization (partially)

5. I think I'm right here

6. Again, Civilization!

7. Easy (unfortunately)

8. If it hasnt' changed since I was in elementary school (more than 20 years ago...), I got this. But I'm awfully afraid that they did just that.

9. Got it

10. Qualified guess, may be right, may be wrong..

thinking about 6, hoping for 7.. :rolleyes:

• Replies 783
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Getting mighty close now..:thup:

I'm actually really annoyed at myself that I didn't get on board until round 2, or I might have been right up there as well... ;)

Evil questions dude....but I actually feel quite good. Thinking a solid 6 here

And I am closing the gap on the leaders :)

Not as evil as I thought they were judging from the scores so far. You guys actually got lucky as a fan of QI I nearly had a few 'trap' questions but they were either removed or modified as I felt that might be potentially controversial. I still thought they were a challenging bunch but clearly not. The Mexico State question has especially surprised me given I had to look it up and I'm the 'Mexican' on here (I'm not good on places north of Mexico City, even if I have a vague familiarity of the rest of the country). ;)

Not as evil as I thought they were judging from the scores so far. You guys actually got lucky as a fan of QI I nearly had a few 'trap' questions but they were either removed or modified as I felt that might be potentially controversial. I still thought they were a challenging bunch but clearly not. The Mexico State question has especially surprised me given I had to look it up and I'm the 'Mexican' on here (I'm not good on places north of Mexico City, even if I have a vague familiarity of the rest of the country). ;)

Also a massive fan of QI here with a few of the books that might be used for questioning purposes soon ;)

Is now the right time to spill that i played pub quizzes for a highly successful team in the mid 90's :cool:

No. ;)

Sorry, but I think there is a difference between not offending the gods (as in Zeus, Poseidon and that lot) and worshipping the sun itself as a god. I fully admit this was not the most clear-cut of questions...

Oh ok. No prob.

If it's wrong it's wrong. :)

I've got a hockey game to referee in not too many hours, so I'll be gone until the evening (CET), I'll post the new set of Q's sometime tonight, guessing around 20:00-21:00 CET (assuming the current round's done and dusted by then, which I suppose it'll be).

1. Who were the three Roman politicians who made up the ‘First Triumvirate’?

Julius Caesar, Pompey the Great and Marcus Licinus Crassus. I expected Crassus to be the one people wouldn't know but we still had a decent number of right answers and someone knew him but not Pompey.

2. Which English team has the best record (in terms of win percentage) against Barcelona?

It is... Ipswich with 50% (2 wins from 4). No one technically got it right* which amazed me as I thought at least one of you would have a suspicion that it would be them given it's me ;) Lots of guesses for Liverpool but oddly Raware wasn't one of the few who went for Forest.

3. Who was the only British PM to be assassinated?

Spencer Percival. I was surprised a lot of people got it right, even non-Brits, since that's pretty much the only reason anyone would have heard of him.

4. What is the name of the largest State in Mexico (by land area)?

Chihuahua, which is hilarious :D Very impressed by a lot of people's knowledge of Mexican states.

5. Who was the first US President to be constitutionally bound by the 2-term limit?

Eisenhower. It was passed during Truman's time in office but he was given an exemption.

6. What was the name of the Aztec capital.

Tenochtitlan. Quite a few people credited the Civilization games with knowing this which made it easier than I realized. However loading the game to look is definitely cheating Nobby ;)

7. What nationality is Eurodance artist ‘E-Type’?

Swedish.

8. What is the first line of the German national anthem? (Either in German or English).

It is NOT "Deutschland Deutchland Über Alles!" Instead it is "Einigkeit und Recht und Freiheit/Unity and Justice and Freedom", which a few people did know.

9. Which Mexican club does French international forward Andre-Pierre Gignac play for?

Tigres

10. What were the names of the first two pokemon games in Japan? By this I mean the names of the versions not what they called the franchise.

Pokemon Red and Pokemon Green (not as Red ad Blue in the rest of the world). This surprised me in how very few people had any idea.

*I disallowed one answer for admitting to 'trawling through a book' which I think crosses the line between discovering it and actually looking for it.

Slim pickings for the bonus point (there were at least a bunch of vaguely good answers but nothing more) but it does to Nobby for naming the Romans as 'I, II and III'.

Special mention to Jimbokav for his rather elaborate answers, including narrowing the Mexican State question to three possibilities (including Chihuahua) but not picking the right answer, and reasoning that E-Type might be British because of the Jaguar E-Type. Same for Cplpeters1900 for confusing the Aztecs and the Inca.

Dllu: 7

Dafuge: 0

DB08: 7

Jimbokav1971: 3

Maaka: 7

Pompeyboyz: 5

Nobby McDonald: 3

Cplpeters1900: 5

Swooperproop: 5

Deisler26: 5

Koetzer: 4

LeedsUnitedFan2: 2

Raware: 1

dllu was actually very close to getting 9, reasoning that the answer to Q2 might have been a smaller club from a while ago before going to Liverpool, and going for Pumas (another Mexican club with a big cat themed name) on the Gignac question.

The leaderboard

Maaka - 72

swooperproop - 71

Pompeyboyz - 69

Deisler26 - 68

dllu - 62

cplpeters1900 - 45

deltablue - 42

Maw74 - 36

LeedsUnitedFan2 -32

Raware - 31

Jimbokav1971 - 31

Nobby_McDonald - 31

DB08 - 30

dafuge - 23

Koetzer - 20

EvilDave - 17

Wavelberry - 15

simbion - 9

Noikeee - 7

Rithas - 5

Maaka goes top! Though as it's his round he's probably going to drop down a few places again :D

hem hem

I got 6 thank you

1, 2, 4, 5, 7, 10

1. Who were the three Roman politicians who made up the ‘First Triumvirate’? Julius Caeser, Pompey the Grear and Marcus Crassus

2. Which English team has the best record (in terms of win percentage) against Barcelona? Was going to say Chelsea originally but after trawling through a book I found Ipswich Town icon_eek.gif on 50%

4. What is the name of the largest State in Mexico (by land area)? Chihuahua

5. Who was the first US President to be constitutionally bound by the 2-term limit? I know this is actually a fairly recent thing as I read about it not so long ago but not sure who...either Dwight Eisenhower or Harry Truman.....I shall go for Dwight

7. What nationality is Eurodance artist ‘E-Type’? Swedish

10. What were the names of the first two pokemon games in Japan? By this I mean the names of the versions not what they called the franchise. Pokemon Red and Green

Edit - OK just saw you disallowed my Ipswich answer

dllu was actually very close to getting 9, reasoning that the answer to Q2 might have been a smaller club from a while ago before going to Liverpool, and going for Pumas (another Mexican club with a big cat themed name) on the Gignac question.

Closer than I realized!! :lol:

All right, as delta pointed out, even though I finally went top, I'll likely lose that place in a week, after all I believe that either Swoop, Pompey or Deisler will get enough to pass me (if not all three, Swoop needs only to score a mere 2 pts now..).

(I could have made all the questions almost impossible to answer to retain that top spot, but then I'd have to rewrite all the Q's, and I'm really not up for that right now.. :D)

Anyway, here goes..

1. Which team has won the most Football League Cups (English) overall? (English League Cup, aka Coca Cola Cup, Milk Cup, Littlewoods Cup, Capital One Cup, etc.)

2. What is the all time best selling single in the UK? (The single, not the artist/band)

3. Which nation (who has appeared in a Championship) holds the record for fewest goals conceded in the European Championships history (meaning all championships overall, from 1960 through 2012, combined)?

4. The AFI (American Film Institute) named the 100 greatest heroes and villains (50 each) in 2003. Two actors or actresses are represented in both the HERO and the VILLAIN category. Which two actors? (again, we need the actors/actresses - and both of them!)

5. Since the NHL (National Hockey League) assumed control over the Stanley Cup, has it been won by American or Canadian teams the most times?

6. Which US state has the highest number of people with Norwegian heritage? (according to the latest US Census)

7. Which team has won the Italian Serie B the most times?

8. Who has won the most Academy Awards overall? (Person, not movie)

9. Who holds the goal scoring record for foreigners in the Italian Serie A?

10. The 1986 Bon Jovi hit "Livin' on a Prayer" is about the working class couple Tommy and Gina. Which other Jovi song refers to Tommy & Gina?

The polls close sometime next Sunday.. Good luck, fellas.

I'm on fire at the moment, with 5 & 7 in the last round. I think I can get 6 or more this time as well.

1. That's easy.

2. I narrowed it down to the possible options. I think I got it right.

3. There are 3 countries who share the record for a single European Championship. I've gone with the most recent one.

4. Had a wild guess.

5. Deisler made me get a bit more interested in ice hockey. Unfortunately, it isn't telecast here so every chance of that being wrong.

6. I think I got it right.

7. I know.

8. Easy.

9. Maybe I got it right.

10. Hopefully you would like my answer. :D

1. Too Easy

2. Pretty Confident unless Maaka throws a twist

3. This one was a bit vague and I went for a recent record I knew

4. I strangely knew this one.

5. I do like my Hockey :brock:

6. I hope the Simpsons helped me with this one

7. Weirdly was looking at FM last week about this one

8. Tossed a coin out of 2

9. This one I am very confident on as I was reading about it not so long ago

10. This is on my Spotify playlist that I listen to at work :D

7 or 8 for me this week I think with maybe 10 if I get lucky

Retrospectively, I see that I was a bit vague in Q3. To clarify, I mean IN TOTAL, OVERALL, OF ALL TIME (meaning if Cambodia entered the Euros in 1976, 1984, 1996, 2000 and 2012, and conceded 5, 3, 8, 4 and 6 goals respectively, then they've conceded 26 goals overall, the correct answer here is the team that has conceded the fewest number of goals overall at the Euros. Btw, Cambodia would be the wrong answer in any regard..)

I'll update the post with the questions.

Retrospectively, I see that I was a bit vague in Q3. To clarify, I mean IN TOTAL, OVERALL, OF ALL TIME (meaning if Cambodia entered the Euros in 1976, 1984, 1996, 2000 and 2012, and conceded 5, 3, 8, 4 and 6 goals respectively, then they've conceded 26 goals overall, the correct answer here is the team that has conceded the fewest number of goals overall at the Euros. Btw, Cambodia would be the wrong answer in any regard..)

Going to stick with my answer even though it'll be wrong now

2. Which English team has the best record (in terms of win percentage) against Barcelona?

It is... Ipswich with 50% (2 wins from 4). No one technically got it right* which amazed me as I thought at least one of you would have a suspicion that it would be them given it's me ;) Lots of guesses for Liverpool but oddly Raware wasn't one of the few who went for Forest.

With only a few seasons at the height of Europe and knowing that we didn't meet Barca along the way to our 1979 or 1980 European Cup wins, I was pretty sure it wouldn't be us. My sole reasoning for Liverpool was just because of how dominant they were in the 70's. I did think about it being Ipswich just because it was you setting the question, but I knew Ipswich weren't that good! :D:)

I have to say some people's general knowledge is top notch...even on Roman politicians :p

1. Think I know this.

2. I have 2 ideas that will be there or thereabouts, but I have a feeling that I have forgotten an obvious one.

3. I've whittled it down to 3, then to 2, then to one. Then I went and changed my mind later.

4. Not a scooby. So not a scooby I was not even able to guess. Properly went blank.

5. A guess, but a decent one.

6. I forgot to answer this question.

7. I know 2 that have won twice in the last 20 years so went with one of them, Not overly confident though.

8. Think I may have this.

9. I would have thought that I had a good chance of getting this correct, (because it's a good answer), but in hindsight I think I'm wrong.

10. Picked a Bon Jovi song but really not a clue.

You never know. Australia were in Euro Vision last year.

I got a couple right. Again.

Hello guys, sorry for the late answers, had to work today (don't normally work Sundays..), and when I got back, there were a coupla more answers to take first.

There were 14 entries this week.

Anyways, here's the correct answers:

1. Which team has won the most Football League Cups (English) overall? (English League Cup, aka Coca Cola Cup, Milk Cup, Littlewoods Cup, Capital One Cup, etc.)

LIVERPOOL have won 8 times, making them the most succesful team, followed by Aston Villa and Chelsea on 5 each.

Of the 14 answers, all but one had the right one (the last being Manchester United, who's tied for 4th with 4 wins) - 93% right.

2. What is the all time best selling single in the UK? (The single, not the artist/band)

Technically, there's two right answers here, since the single was a "double A-side" by Elton John, "Something About the Way You Look Tonight" and "Candle in the Wind 1997". Just "Candle in the Wind" was accepted..

8 right answers (57%), all seven said "Candle..", a little disappointed that none said "Something.." Anyway, two entries gave "Do they know it's Christmas" a try, else there were suggestions for the Beatles (Sgt. Pepper), Queen (Champions), Pharrell Williams (Happy) and Aqua's "Barbie Girls" (WTF??? - I'm not saying who, you know what you've done - no, you're not getting a bonus for THAT!)

3. Which nation (who has appeared in a Championship) holds the record for fewest goals conceded in the European Championships history (meaning all championships overall, from 1960 through 2012, combined)?

Had to clarify the question, but the right answer is (of course) NORWAY - appeared in one championship, conceded one goal. Btw, Norway's also tied for scoring the fewest goals - also one - with Austria and Latvia.

9 (64%) right, a bunch of qualified guesses in Greece, Slovakia, Austria but Albania have never appeared, so they're out of the question.

4. The AFI (American Film Institute) named the 100 greatest heroes and villains (50 each) in 2003. Two actors or actresses are represented in both the HERO and the VILLAIN category. Which two actors? (again, we need the actors/actresses - and both of them!)

This one was tricky. I could have given half a point for getting one of them, but I believe that decimal points are not encouraged by the "godfather" of this thread. Therefore, either you had both of them, or you didn't score any point. Too bad for the five of you who actually had one, but only Pompey got this one.

The answer was AL PACINO (hero: Frank Serpico in "Serpico" from 1973, villain: Michael Corleone in "The Godfather Part II" from 1974) and ARNOLD SCHWARZENEGGER (hero: The Terminator in "Terminator 2: Judgment Day" from 1991, villain: The Terminator in "The Terminator" from 1984).

As said, only one right answer (7%), but two more had Arnold combined with Angelina Jolie or Harrison Ford, and two had Pacino with Robert De Niro, another Pacino/Glenn Close.

5. Since the NHL (National Hockey League) assumed control over the Stanley Cup, has it been won by American or Canadian teams the most times?

The NHL assumed the Stanley Cup in 1926, it has been awarded 88 times since then, with canadian teams winning 41 and AMERICAN 47. Actually, american teams have won it 21 times in a row, the last canadian victory came by the Montreal Canadiens in 1993.

8 (57%) guessed right, if you didn't know any hockey, it's pretty much 50-50 here.

6. Which US state has the highest number of people with Norwegian heritage? (according to the latest US Census)

MINNESOTA has almost 870.000 Norwegian Americans, the next state is Wisconsin with just under 470.000.

A grand total of 5 right answers (36%) here, with some reasoning Alaska (because it's cold), Maine (same reason), or Wyoming, Vermont, Washington or California (not because it's cold, I guess, rather the other way around, because it's not cold)

7. Which team has won the Italian Serie B the most times?

GENOA have won it 6 times (last time in 1989), followed by Palermo and Atalanta on 5.

6 of you said Genoa (43%), Palermo and Atalanta got 2 mentions each, the rest were spread out on Torino (have won 3 times), Bari (4 times), Fiorentina (3 times) and Reggina (have never won, but ReggiAna have won it once).

8. Who has won the most Academy Awards overall? (Person, not movie)

Some of you probably got hung up in actors/actresses, but the right answer is WALT DISNEY with 22.

6 Disneys (43%), and while Tom Hanks, Meryl Streep, Steven Spielberg and Hepburn all have won an Oscar, Sergio Busquets probably never will..

9. Who holds the goal scoring record for foreigners in the Italian Serie A?

GUNNAR NORDAHL (Sweden, 225 goals) is the right answer, he's 3rd overall in the Serie A, after Silvio Piola (274 goals) and Francesco Totti (244 and counting)

5 (36%) right, but 7 people tried Gabriel Batistuta ("Batigol") - he's 11th overall, 3rd (4th) among foreigners, with 184 goals (Kurt Hamrin is 8th overall, but tied for 4th is José Altafini who were born in Brazil, but is capped both for Brazil and Italy). For those of you who hoped for Marcelo Salas and Andryi Shevchenko, I can inform you that Salas played for Lazio from 1998 to 2001, then Juventus 2001-2004 (but loaned out 2003-04), and scored a grand total of 36 goals in 95 appearances. Sheva is 43rd overall (8th among foreigners - or 10th if we're counting those with dual nationalities) with 127 goals.

10. The 1986 Bon Jovi hit "Livin' on a Prayer" is about the working class couple Tommy and Gina. Which other Jovi song refers to Tommy & Gina?

"This is for the ones who stood their ground. For Tommy and Gina who never backed down" opens the 2nd verse of "IT'S MY LIFE" (2000).

8/14 (57%). Mixing up Bon Jovi with AC/DC ("Highway to Hell") doesn't work, kudos to Jimbo ("Living in Sin") and dafuge ("Keep the Faith") for trying a Jovi song, albeit the wrong one..

Not many candidates for this week's bonus point, Sergio Busquets just didn't cut it for the Oscars, so Jimbo gets it for mentioning a vastly underrated Bon Jovi tune.

I'll have the scores up in a short time.

Archived