The All New FMCU Quiz! (And Scandinavian Music Thread)

deltablue

Hmmm.. He's apparently from Thisted, a small town in northern Denmark (Jylland - Jutland), their local football team, Thisted FC seems to compete in the danish 2nd division, and lost a close fought battle against former big team AB (from a Copenhagen suburb, so no local derby).

Otherwise, today was the capital derby between FCK and Brøndby, so if he's into one of those teams, then it's a big day today.. If he's an FCK'er, he's probably very happy, they won 2-0 (and apparently dominated), but if he's a Brøndbyer, then he's probably down and out...

• Replies 783
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Answers

1. Due to contractual obligations, the role of John McClane in Die Hard first had to be offered to another actor, who thankfully turned it down. Which actor?

Frank Sinatra (73 years old at the time!). DH was based on the book Nothing Lasts Forever – ad FS starred in the movie version of the sequel The Detective (1968).

2. In 2003, the BBC conducted The Big Read: a poll to find the 200 most popular British novels of all time. Which author had the most titles on the list?

The late great Sir Terry Pratchett (15).

3. In the history of the football World Cup, only one nation has ever fielded all the players in the squad during a tournament. Which nation?

The Netherlands / Holland (2014).

(Maaka has made a good case that there may be other correct answers – which clearly took quite a bit of research. But since he himself mentioned NED as a possibility – and since no one else guessed at any of the other seemingly correct answers – I will let the question stand.)

4. Before Michael Phelps, who was the most successful Olympic athlete of all time in terms of medals?

Soviet gymnast Larisa Latynina won a total of 18 medals (9 gold – 5 silver – 4 bronze).

5. When he wasn’t busy writing detective stories or being a doctor, Arthur Conan Doyle played (amateur) football for a club in which English city?

Portsmouth AFC (not the existing professional club) while living in Southsea in the 1880s.

6. In 1935-36, the championship trophies of three major American sports leagues were all held by teams from which city?

Detroit (Tigers won the 1935 World Series, Lions won the 1935 NFL season, Red Wings won the 35/36 Stanley Cup).

7. Where is the point on Earth that is farthest from the planet’s centre?

The volcano Chimborazo in Ecuador – as many of you knew, the Earth is “fatter” around the Equator than at the poles. Mount Everest is the highest above sea level.

(I have magnanimously accepted both “Ecuador” and “the Andes”.)

8. What was the score in the final set of the longest tennis match in history?

John Isner beat Nicolas Mahut 70-68 at Wimbledon 2010 – and predictably lost his next match in three short sets.

9. C. S. Lewis, Aldous Huxley, and Anthony Burgess were three important British authors, but they have one more thing in common: their deaths didn’t quite get the attention they deserved. Why not?

They all died on 22 November 1963 – the same day as the JFK assassination.

(More of you than I expected got this one. I have, however, dismissed answers along the lines of “someone more famous died the same day” as too vague.)

10. In 2005, the late great David Bowie made a guest appearance on the album of which Danish band?

Kashmir on the album No Balance Palace – which also featured another guest appearance from Lou Reed.

Scores

Maaka - 9

Deisler26 - 8

Pompeyboyz - 7

cplpleters1900 - 6

DB08 - 6

Swooperp®oop - 6

Bitner - 4

Koetzer - 4

dafuge - 2

Jimbokav1971 - 2

LeedsUnitedFan2 - 2

Nobby_McDonald - 1+1

deltablue - 1

Raware - 1

Nobby gets the bonus point for his answer to #9: “Sky News had started broadcasting”. :D

Overall standings

Maaka - 103

Deisler26 - 100

Swooperp®oop - 99

Pompeyboyz - 97

dllu - 90

cplpleters1900 - 74

DB08 - 64

deltablue - 63

Jimbokav1971 - 52

Raware - 51

LeedsUnitedFan2 - 49

Nobby_McDonald - 46

Koetzer - 41

dafuge - 39

Maw74 - 31

EvilDave - 17

Bitner - 15

Wavelberry - 15

Simbion - 9

Noikeee - 7

Rithas - 5

Hmmm.. He's apparently from Thisted, a small town in northern Denmark (Jylland - Jutland), their local football team, Thisted FC seems to compete in the danish 2nd division, and lost a close fought battle against former big team AB (from a Copenhagen suburb, so no local derby).

Otherwise, today was the capital derby between FCK and Brøndby, so if he's into one of those teams, then it's a big day today.. If he's an FCK'er, he's probably very happy, they won 2-0 (and apparently dominated), but if he's a Brøndbyer, then he's probably down and out...

As my profile page also shows, I am a SønderjyskE fan, so I am very happy today... :lol:

As my profile page also shows, I am a SønderjyskE fan, so I am very happy today... :lol:

I thought of checking your profile, but by then I'd written most of the post, and didn't care to write it all again, so I just took a stab at the possibility that København was involved :)

9. C. S. Lewis, Aldous Huxley, and Anthony Burgess were three important British authors, but they have one more thing in common: their deaths didn’t quite get the attention they deserved. Why not?

They all died on 22 November 1963 – the same day as the JFK assassination.

(More of you than I expected got this one. I have, however, dismissed answers along the lines of “someone more famous died the same day” as too vague.)

Are you sure Anthony Burgess died in 1963? The Encyclopædia Britannica seems to disagree with you.. Nov. 22, yes, but 30 years later.. :p

Answers

4. Before Michael Phelps, who was the most successful Olympic athlete of all time in terms of medals?

Soviet gymnast Larisa Latynina won a total of 18 medals (9 gold – 5 silver – 4 bronze).

No no no no no no no. No!. :herman:

It's pistols at dawn I'm afraid. I'm just not having that! :lol:

Your question refers to "most successful" and I'm nor sure how to gauge that.

Most Golds in fewest Olympics.

Most Golds in fewest attempts.

Most total medals?

The Flying Finn Paavo Nurmi won 9 gold medals, (and at least 1 silver medal). Were it not for the IAAF banning him without reason, he would haver absolutely 100% added 2 more gold medals to his haul at the 1932 Olympics and it's one of the great miscarriages of sporting justice that he was ever banned at all.

Mark Spitz won 9 gold medals, (and a silver medal).

Carl Lewis won 8 gold medals, (and a silver medal).

There was also a female Russian gymnast who won 9 golds, (and other medals) after WW2, but I have no idea what her name was.

Both Spitz and Nurmi won their 9 golds while attending only 2 Olympics. That makes them the most successful Olympians pre Phelps to me. :cool:

Can you feel my Paavo love? lol

Please, please, please, let us others know when and where. And are we allowed to bring popcorn?

I know I only got 2, but I actually did quite well.

1. I didn't have a clue about this and guessed at Clint Eastwood.

2. I actually mentioned Pratchett in my answer, as well as Horowitz, Hardy, Austen and Rowling. All had multiple books on the list I think. I just picked the wrong one.

3. Didn't know this so guessed it might be a communist Nation so think I guessed either China or Korea.

4. Pistols at dawn!

5. I thought it was South coast but went Brighton instead of Portsmouth.

6. I got this one right.

7. I got this one right.

8. I knew that the 1st score ended in a multiple of 10, but I went 60-58 rather than 70-68.

9. Nah. Didn't even think about that and had only heard of CS Lewis.

10. Didn't have a clue.

By your logic, anyone who participated in one event at one Olympics and won the gold should be tied for first place because they must have a 100% success rate. There are two standard ways to rank individuals or nations by medal count: 1) Total number of medals or 2) Gold - silver - bronze. By both methods, Latynina is the correct answer.

So no.

Are you sure Anthony Burgess died in 1963? The Encyclopædia Britannica seems to disagree with you.. Nov. 22, yes, but 30 years later.. :p

You know what, I am just going to stay away from this thread from now on. Some people very obviously google their answers anyway, so the competition has lost any meaning or value a long time ago...

By your logic, anyone who participated in one event at one Olympics and won the gold should be tied for first place because they must have a 100% success rate. There are two standard ways to rank individuals or nations by medal count: 1) Total number of medals or 2) Gold - silver - bronze. By both methods, Latynina is the correct answer.

So no.

Dawn I said. DAWN! :mad:

[Edit]

Just saw the above post so want to qualify my post with the confirmation that I am of course only joking. I knew she had the most medals. I just didn't know her name.

Now with that, me and my 2 points will be off thank you very much. :lol:

My Answers

1. Sly Stalone - Thought it would be a big action star with limited acting talent

2. Terry Pratchett - Knew this although initially was thinking JK Rowling

3. South Korea - Logic behind this was in 2002 for the third placed play off they put out as many players as had not appeared as it was their home World Cup

4. Mark Spitz - Only answer I could think of

5. Portsmouth - Being from there, it was local knowledge to me :)

6. Detroit - I know my US Sports well.

7. Chimbuno (it is spelt wrong I think but it is the highest point in Ecuador) - remembered it from an episode of QI

8. 70-68 - I remember the match very well.

9. Due to JFK being assasinated - it was covered by my English teacher in school

10. Kashmir - I found this song by accident when hunting Bowie records on spotify

You know what, I am just going to stay away from this thread from now on. Some people very obviously google their answers anyway, so the competition has lost any meaning or value a long time ago...

So because I point out that Burgess died 30 years after Kennedy was shot, you say I'm googling the answers? Just to clarify, do you mean before or after submitting my answers? I can promise you, if I'd googled the answers before submitting them, I'd score a lot more than a 6.7 point average per week.

I got that question because I knew Lewis and Huxley died in late 1963, and the most famous "happening" or death around then was JFK. Didn't think much about Burgess, but it kinda sounded strange, so when you provided the answers, I checked him on Britannica (not google first, if I know what I'm looking for, I don't take a detour by google, that's for sure), and then asked if you were sure about him.

I'm an avid quizzer, participate in pub quizzes at least once a week here, and while I'm not in the national championships in Quiz, I sure do a lot more quizzes than the average Norwegian, thus over the years a lot of "strange" bits of facts and figures tend to stick. And btw, cheating at a pub quiz isn't only frowned upon, it's a tad worse than that, so that's not really an option.

What?? That's a bit harsh isn't it? I tend to like trivia a lot. Plus I've been researching things because of this. Knowledge is always fun

I agree this is a bit harsh.

As I previously mentioned, I play pub quizzes and also was part of a very highly successful team that played in regional championships after winning local ones. I prefer to spend time reading factual books to fiction as I believe in the knowledge is power.

I would try not to worry too much about what other people are doing dllu.They may or may not be looking up the answers, but to be honest... who cares? I know there is a score table, but it's really not a competition, (at least I don't see it that way). It's just a bit of a laugh and something a bit different in here. I scored 2 in the last round and I'm pretty sure I have also scored 1 in previous rounds, (although so far I have avoided the big 0).

Just take it less seriously and don't worry about other people's scores and all is good.

Gotta say dafuge, I liked the idea of the picture round but I know I am due 9 as it was too easy :(

Only the player attributes stumped me

discovered the dangers of auto-correct on the phone when sending my answer :rolleyes:

Easy?

1. I know this I think.

2. I know who this is.

3. I know the surname but not the forename of the politician.

4. Pretty sure I don't know the forename of the cricketer, (even if I have picked the correct cricketer).

5. Really don't know who the painter is, (and it's rubbish!)

6. I know what the cartoon is, but not who it is.

7. I have never EVER seen that flag before.

8. I think I know the Country, but for the life of me can't think which City it's in.

9. I have a vague memory and I think I have the brand name correct, but I don't think that I have the full name correct and I think dafuge is being strict on this round.

10. I almost didn't get this, and it kept gnawing away at me, but then one attribute worked it's magic for me.

1. Thank you, years of playing Sporcle.

2. DJ? That's not rock.. No clue, wild guess.

3. Gives me the creeps, but I know who it is, yes.

4. I barely know what cricket is, but threw out a name I learned from a cricket fanatic on Twitter.

5. Maybe?

6. Yay!

7. Finally someone asks for that flag! Ka-ching!

8. Know the track, not so sure about the city.

9. Maybe?

10. I listed a bunch of players, then picked one. Have to hope for some luck here..

That means 4 certains, 2-3 maybe's, 1 long shot and 2 blind guesses. Hoping for 6-7 points here.

Nice twist with the pics! :thup::thup:

1. I know this.

2. I guess my poor knowledge of music has shone through on a number of occasions on a number of occasions in this quiz.

3. I know this.

4. That's very easy for me although I don't really follow cricket as much as I used to. There were a few girls in my previous school who used to drool over him.

5. Whoever painted it was probably unhappy about something.

6. Maybe...

7. I know this.

8. I watch a lot of F1 so this was easy.

9. Maybe.

10. Maybe.

Answers

1. In which city would you find this landmark?

The Gateway Arch lies on the banks of the Mississippi River in St. Louis, Missouri. I thought this might be an easy one to start off with, 7/11 got this correct.

2. Who is this DJ?

This is British DJ Pete Tong MBE. I was a bit suprised at the low scores on this one, only 3/11 got it.

3. Who is this politician?

This is Ted Cruz, candidate for the Republican nomination for President of the United States in the 2016 election. Average scoring, 5/11.

4. Who is this cricketer?

This is Virat Kohli, the number one ranked T20 batsman in the World and captain of India and Royal Challengers Bangalore. I thought this might be easier given that the T20 World Cup has just finished, but just 3/11 got it.

5. Who painted this? (will accept just a surname)

This is 'A Bar at the Folies-Bergère', the last major work by French painter Édouard Manet. There were either a few lucky guesses or people know their artists, 5/11.

6. Who is this cartoon character?

This is George Jetson, the father of the Jetson family. A high scoring question, 8/11.

7. This is the flag of which country?

This is the flag of the Republic of Seychelles. The easiest question of the round, 10/11 people knew it.

8. In which city would you find this Formula 1 circuit?

This is the Suzuka Circuit, located in Ino, Suzuka City, Mie Prefecture, Japan. Another high scoring one, despite quite a few people being unsure that the city and the circuit had the same name, 9/11.

9. What is the name of this games console?

This is the Sega Master System, first released in this form in 1986. Quite a few poeple knew it was a Sega, but only 5/11 got the name.

10. Who's attributes are these?

These attributes belong to French midfielder Paul Pogba. Yaya Toure was another popular guess, but 5/11 got this.

The bonus point deservedly goes to Jimbokav1971 for one of a number of near misses such as Varender Kohli and Mr Jepson Snr. The answer that won the point however was the excellently named Sega Master Blaster.

Leaderboard

Maaka - 109

Pompeyboyz - 106

swooperproop - 106

Deisler26 - 100

dllu - 90

cplpleters1900 - 79

DB08 - 71

deltablue - 67

Raware - 59

Jimbokav1971 - 56

LeedsUnitedFan2 - 53

Nobby_McDonald - 46

Koetzer - 44

dafuge - 39

Maw74 - 31

Bitner - 19

EvilDave - 17

Wavelberry - 15

Simbion - 9

Noikeee - 7

Rithas - 5

1. I got it right.

2. I got it right.

3. I knew it was Cruz, but didn't know his forename was Ted.

4. I knew it was Kohli, but didn't know his forename and guessed at Varendar, (which I think is Sehwag's forename).

5. I've never heard of Manet. Not surprising really as he wasn't very good by the look of this one.

6. I thought the cartoon was called the Jepson's rather than the Jetsun's, (but of course it makes sense now), and I didn't know the Dad's name was George anyway.

7. Nope. I've never seen that flag before, (but will remember it now).

8. I knew it was Japan but I couldn't remember which City so guessed Tokyo even though I knew it was wrong.

9. I was almost there. I went for Sega Master Blaster, (which is a cross between a Megadrive and a huge sound system).

10. I almost didn't get Paul Pogba. I would have had the right hump if I had missed it.

I know I only scored 3+1, but I was actually really close to some others so that will do me. There is some knowledge in the dim and dark recesses of my mind. It's just well hidden and only a little bit comes out at a time.

:lol:

Round 19

1. Which Formula 1 driver holds the record for the shortest distance covered in his entire career?

2. Who won the 100th Tour De France, held in 2013? (looking for winner by general classification only, not points, mountains or anything else)

3. At what age did the last survivor from the 1930 FIFA World Cup, Francisco Varallo, die?

4. What is the name of Peppa Pig's younger brother?

5. How many Formula 1 constructors have been in every season so far?

6. Phil Taylor's (darts player) nickname is "The Power". What was his previous nickname?

7. Which Formula 1 driver won the only podium for himself and his nation in one of the most infamous F1 races ever?

8. Who is the only person to win both the Indy 500 and Le Mans in the same year?

9. Name the still active player with most goals scored in Italian Serie A.

10. Name the football/soccer player who broke his neck and was left paralyzed from the chest down during a national first division match in 2005.

I hope these are not too hard, as I spent way too long making questions up and of about 30 I had I chose the best balance of hard and easy. (and chose only 3 of about 10 F1-related questions I had)

1. I knew this one

2. I knew this one

3. Wild Guess

4. I knew this one

5. Pretty sure on this one

6. I knew this one

7. Educated guess on this one

8. Wild Guess

9. Pretty confident on this one

10. Clueless so gave a joke answer

So 4 for sure with. Tough week

Round 19

1. Which Formula 1 driver holds the record for the shortest distance covered in his entire career?

2. Who won the 100th Tour De France, held in 2013? (looking for winner by general classification only, not points, mountains or anything else)

3. At what age did the last survivor from the 1930 FIFA World Cup, Francisco Varallo, die?

4. What is the name of Peppa Pig's younger brother?

5. How many Formula 1 constructors have been in every season so far?

6. Phil Taylor's (darts player) nickname is "The Power". What was his previous nickname?

7. Which Formula 1 driver won the only podium for himself and his nation in one of the most infamous F1 races ever?

8. Who is the only person to win both the Indy 500 and Le Mans in the same year?

9. Name the still active player with most goals scored in Italian Serie A.

10. Name the football/soccer player who broke his neck and was left paralyzed from the chest down during a national first division match in 2005.

I hope these are not too hard, as I spent way too long making questions up and of about 30 I had I chose the best balance of hard and easy. (and chose only 3 of about 10 F1-related questions I had)

40% motor racing questions? :(

Archived