The All New FMCU Quiz! (And Scandinavian Music Thread)

deltablue

• Replies 783
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Cheers for your answers guys. DB08 you've actually got the second-highest score so far. Not bad given a lot of those things happened before you were born, as you kept pointing out in earlier rounds ;)

Well, most of them were guesses but anyway, and I was never really awful in History and Geography.

1. Who was the last Ipswich player to play in the World Cup? (Meaning actually being an Ipswich player at the time)

Tommy Smith for New Zealand in 2010, probably a lot more recent than many people were expecting though some did know it.

2. What State was George W. Bush born in?

Connecticut

3. Who were the first team that Mexico beat in the World Cup finals?

Czechoslovakia in 1962

4. In 2006-07, all 4 East Anglian league teams (Ipswich, Norwich, Colchester and Southend) were in the same division. Which team finished highest?

Colchester, which many of you knew. I'm glad that near the end a couple of people fell into the trap of assuming it had to be Ipswich :D

5. What is the busiest airport in the world in terms of passenger numbers?

Atlanta's Hartsfield-Jackson airport, and it has been since 1998! Beijing is second, JFK is only the 5th busiest in the country, Heathrow was 3rd until last year and the busiest for international traffic but that's now Dubai on both counts. Mexico City is 45th. No one guessed that but just thought I'd mention it

6. Which dynasty ruled France from 1328-1589?

The Valois

7. Who was the last emperor of the Roman Empire?

Constantine XI Palaiologus, since the so-called 'Byzantine Empire' was a continuation of the Eastern Roman Empire but I allowed Romulus Augustus/Augustulus given he was the last Western Emperor and that's what most people consider to be the end of the Empire

8. Who played Captain Pike in the original Star Trek pilot.

Jeffrey Hunter

9. What is the world’s second-largest island.

Australia doesn't officially count as an island (though I wonder why since it's 'Oceania' that's the continent) so it's New Guinea as the second-largest after Greenland, which would have been too obvious to ask about

10. What is the capacity of the Azteca Stadium?

95,500 though I think used to be larger which threw quite a few of you off. I accepted 95,000-96,000

11. What nationality is former Ipswich player Velice Sumulikoski?

Macedonian

12. Which two countries border Mexico to the east?

Guatemala and Belize

13. Who won the last Five Nations tournament before it became the Six Nations?

Scotland

14. What is the name of the band in the Muppets?

Dr Teeth and the Electric Mayhem

15. Which two Commonwealth nations have no historical connection to the British Empire?

Mozambique and Rwanda

16. What is the first name of Agent Coulson from the Marvel Cinematic Universe?

Phil. Just so you guys know, the 'his first name is Agent' joke was already made in the first Avengers movie so no one was going to get any credit for that ;)

17. Who was Sophia von Anhalt-Zerbst?

Catherine the Great, which I thought more people would know, at least the fact that she was a German originally named Sophie/Sophia

18. Who won the 2009 Eurovision Song Contest (the artist, not just the country)?

Alexander Rybak for Norway

19. How many awards did dafuge win at last year’s FMCU awards?

2, Best Team and Best Career Thread. One person got it right but it wasn't him :D

20. Who was the first African American actress to win an Oscar?

Hattie McDaniel. Answers were split between those who knew and those who fell into the trap of saying Halle Berry, who was specifically the first to win 'Best Actress'

Funny Answers

Almost all the entertaining answers came from Jimbokav1971, who I suspect was drunk when he sent his in :D

The two main ones were...

only know of 2, Bonaparte and Bourbon. I'm feeling a bit pecking and would love a biccie with my tea so will go for Bourbon.

and...

I'm an ex rugby player and English and I know this only too well. Scott "Legend" Gibbs scored that ridiculous try under the posts in the dying moments as he seemed to step half the ENglish back-line. :-(

Scotland won it by default I think. Travesty! Travesty I tell you!

Other highlights included working through the potential answers for Q1 for ages before narrowing it down to 2 and selecting the wrong one (and I think he did the same with the Mexican States question in my previous round), a typo meaning he guessed the Azteca capacity as 99.999 people, trying the 'His first name if Agent' joke mentioned above, his confusion as to what counts as 'East' of Mexico, and even throwing in a 'yer mum!'

However I'm giving the point for Raware for this...

Does Maximus Decimus Meridius count?

I don't know where to start with the reasons why he doesn't :D

Scores - Round 20

Dafuge – 0

Pompeyboyz – 16

Smp20 – 8

Jimbokav – 2

Maaka -12

Cplpeters1900 – 7

DB08 – 13

Swooperproop – 11

Bitner – 6

Koetzer – 9

Deisler – 9

LeedsUnitedFan2 – 2

Raware - 3

Final scores

Maaka - 129

Pompeyboyz - 128

swooperproop - 117

Deisler26 - 112

cplpleters1900 - 93

DB08 - 91

dllu - 90

Raware - 65

deltablue - 61

Jimbokav1971 - 60

LeedsUnitedFan2 - 58

Koetzer - 58

Nobby_McDonald - 49

dafuge - 40

Maw74 - 31

Bitner - 25

EvilDave - 17

Wavelberry - 15

smp20 -12

Simbion - 9

Noikeee - 7

Rithas - 5

10. According to FM, it's supposed to be around 105,000 which is why I wrote that. :(

11. Took a bit of working out. Velice sounded like a Balkan name so I thought of the countries in that area. Serbia, Croatia and Bosnia normally have surnames ending in 'ic' so that was ruled out and it didn't sound Albanian. Macedonia was possibly the only one left so I went along with that.

19. I remember the FMCU awards and I knew dafuge had won more than 1 but then I wasn't completely sure so I guessed two.

Damn damn damn damn damn

I thought I had 10. right.......but I must've mistyped :(

Congrats Maaka

18. I went for Lodi from Finland so I was in the right ballpark for nation.

And if only I had played week 1 I would have stormed it :brock:

1. Who was the last Ipswich player to play in the World Cup? (Meaning actually being an Ipswich player at the time)

Tommy Smith for New Zealand in 2010, probably a lot more recent than many people were expecting though some did know it.

I can't believe that I went through the whole process, decided on Tommy Smith and then changed my mind at the last moment and opted for Daryl Murphy! [headbang]

No as you only said 'Romulus' I didn't give it to you, and for fairness I did the same to someone who only put 'Augustus', as well as an incomplete muppet band name. I was tempted to give you minus points for the comment about the French both because it happens to be one of my nationalities and because the QI fan in me was itching for a minus score but even for the last round I decided it would have been too harsh ;)

No as you only said 'Romulus' I didn't give it to you, and for fairness I did the same to someone who only put 'Augustus', as well as an incomplete muppet band name. I was tempted to give you minus points for the comment about the French both because it happens to be one of my nationalities and because the QI fan in me was itching for a minus score but even for the last round I decided it would have been too harsh ;)

pmsl

[goes to look and see what the "comment about the French" was, but I can guess the gist.]

Oh you soooo should have -1'd me for that! :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

In fact, I demand to be -1'd!

I thought I'd gained a point with Augustus there for a second :(

Would have been quite something for me to avoid the score of zero with a history question :D

Bit gutted to miss out on the Azteca Stadium question, I had no idea it had been recently redeveloped. Same with the island one, I fell for the trick.

...However I'm giving the point for Raware for this...

Does Maximus Decimus Meridius count?

I don't know where to start with the reasons why he doesn't :D

This wasn't right then? :D :D ;)

Final scores

Maaka - 129

Pompeyboyz - 128

Hangin' on by the skin of my teeth!

I was sure I had one more, I was so certain about Halle Berry, didn't even remember ol' Hattie. Won't forget that one easily...

Damn damn damn damn damn

Congrats Maaka

Thanks bro.

Btw, Lordi won the ESC in '06. Still the only thing close to a rock song to win the damn thing. And of course I had this one right, Rybak's norwegian after all, and the entire nation sang thae damn "Fairytale" for years afterwards (at least it felt like it).

Loved this, maybe we'll get back and do a new quiz when the fall comes around?

Eurovision, you say? Well, at this point(Armenia voting), I predict Australia will win at the EUROvision. Yeah, stupid, I know. But of course it would happen.

And I predict 19th for Croatia.

EDIT (at Latvia): Congrats Aussies! Nice win!

EDIT (at Croatia): f*ck it I'm out

dammit Nevena Rendeli

why are you helping them

EDIT (rambling): I know I said this in 2012

and in 2014

but I'm never watching this sh*t again

EDIT (4th): f*ck yeah televoting

suck my big fat juicy printer Australia

#Ukraine2017

• 6 months later...
6 minutes ago, Jimbokav1971 said:

Oh yes. I'm in. (Not that I'm any good mind). 

[Edit]

There are no hidden contents so don't bother clicking. No idea what is going on but can't remove it. 

Reveal hidden contents

Yet I still clicked anyway...

51 minutes ago, Jimbokav1971 said:

Oh yes. I'm in. (Not that I'm any good mind). 

[Edit]

There are no hidden contents so don't bother clicking. No idea what is going on but can't remove it. 

Reveal hidden contents

It is Schrodinger's Clickbait.  There are and there are not hidden contents at the same time and you will not know till you click to find out

Archived