The All New FMCU Quiz! (And Scandinavian Music Thread)

deltablue

(4). dafuge. Potassium, Umami, Hummingbird, The squares of the other 2 sides.

(2). Bitner. Potassium, Umami.

(7). Maaka. Steven Kinnock, Potassium, Sarajevo, Cambodia, Umami, Hummingbird, the square of the 2 catheths.

(7). Pompeyboyz. 131, Japan, Potassium, Sarajevo, Cambodia, Hummingbird, the square of the other 2 sides.

(5). cplpeters1900. Potassium, Sarajevo, Cambodia, Umami, the squares of the other 2 sides.

(3). Nobby. Potassium, Sarajevo, Cambodia.

(4). deltablue. Stephen Kinnock, Potassium, Sarajevo, Hummingbird, the square of the pther 2 sides.

(7). DB08. 131, Japanese, Potassium, Sarajevo, Cambodia, Hummingbird, the squares of the other 2 sides.

(7). dllu. Stephen Kinnock, Potassium, Sarajevo, Cambodia, Umami, Hummingbird, the squares of the other 2 sides.

(6). swooperpoops. Potassium, Sarajevo, Cambodia, Umami, Hummingbird, the sum of the squares of the other 2 sides.

(7). Diesler26. Japanese, Stephen Kinnock, Potassium, Sarajevo, Cambodia, Umami, Hummingbird.

(5). Koetzer. Potassium, Sarajevo, Cambodia, Hummingbird, square of cathets.

(6). Raware. Potassium, Sarajevo, Cambodia, Umami, Hummingbird, the sum of the squares of the other 2 sides.

(5). LeedsUtdFan2. Potassium, Cambodia, Umami, Hummingbird, the squares of the other 2 sides.

• Replies 783
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Also I put Landy not because I knew he was the second because I didn't. I had heard of him in one of those sporting mishap books about what happened to him at the Olympics to ruin a much-hyped battle between himself and Bannister which mentioned that he was the new record holder and he was the only name I had on that basis.

Bonus point zone.

There are a few worthy of a mention.....

Koetzer mentioned Paavo Nurmi and while he wasn't being funny in the slightest, I simply wanted to reward the knowledge of a lesser-known great. A proper great.

Diesler26 gave me these 2 video answers.

[video=youtube;DCCuOLqwZv8]

[video=youtube;fO1Vhc88QkM]

While neither is correct, they both made me laugh.

The winner, (currently), of the bonus point is however deltablue, with the answer simply of Milla Jovovich, to question 7.

Nobby suggested that Eric Pickles might have been married to the Danish Mrs Kinnock, but he loses out on the basis that Milla Jovovich is fit and Eric Pickles isn't.

Extra Info Zone.

I'm really surprised that nobody knew the Chris Chataway answer. Not because he came 2nd to Bannister, (the other main pace-setter was Chris Brasher), but because he led a varied and quite remarkable life with many different facets.

1. He won a Gold medal at the Commonwealth Games in 1954 over 3 miles.

2. He was a World Record holder at the 5000m distance, (in 1954).

3. Although Bannister broke the 4 min mile record in 1954, Brasher somehow won the 1954 Sports Personality of the Year award, (the 1st time it had been awarded).

4. He worked in an exec role for Guinness and it was he that suggested Norris and Ross McWhirter, (old University mates), as editors for the famous series of Guinness factual books.

5. He and Robin Day were the first Newscasters on ITN in 1955.

6. He then spent 3 years working on BBC flagship programme Panorama.

7. In 1958 he was elected as Tory MP for Lewsisham North, (proof that nobody is perfect).

8. He co-sponsored the bill that legalised homosexuality in the UK.

He really was quite a remarkable man.

Maaka - 87 + 7 = 94.

Swooperpoop - 87 + 6 = 93.

Deisler26 - 85 + 7 = 92.

dllu - 83 + 7 = 90.

Pompeyboyz - 83 + 7 = 90.

cplpleters1900 - 63+ 5 = 68.

deltablue - 57 + 4 = 61 + 1 bonus = 62.

DB08 - 51 + 7 = 58.

Jimbokav1971 - 50 + 0 = 50.

Raware - 44 + 6 = 50.

LeedsUnitedFan2 - 42 + 5 = 47.

Nobby_McDonald - 41 + 3 = 44.

Dafuge - 33 + 4 = 37.

Koetzer - 32 + 5 = 37.

Maw74 - 31 + 0 = 31

EvilDave - 17 + 0 = 17.

Wavelberry - 15 = 0 = 15.

Bitner - 9 + 2 = 11.

Simbion - 9 + 0 = 9.

Noikeee - 7 + 0 = 7.

Rithas - 5 + 0 = 5.

It's a shame that I didn't give Deisler 26 the bonus point. It was close and I'm glad I didn't know who was where in the table when I decided. I would have tried to somehow deduct a point from Maaka and give Deisler26 an extra point so that we had a 3 way tie at the top.

For those of you that used "catheths" (or similar), in your answer, you were given the point if you also mentioned that it was the square of the catheths.

I'd never heard of cathetus (or catheti) before.

Nice to learn something about my own subject :D

I'm shocked that Homer didn't get me the point :(

Major props for that reference to Shooting Stars. The word "umami" always makes me think of Vic Reeves and "UVAVU". I thought I was the only person in the world! :lol:

P.S.: My questions will be up presently...

Questions for round 17

1. Due to contractual obligations, the role of John McClane in Die Hard first had to be offered to another actor, who (thankfully) turned it down. Which actor?

2. In 2003, the BBC conducted The Big Read: a poll to find the 200 most popular British novels of all time. Which author had the most titles on the list?

3. In the history of the football World Cup, only one nation has ever fielded all the players in the squad during a tournament. Which nation?

4. Before Michael Phelps, who was the most successful Olympic athlete of all time in terms of medals?

5. When he wasn’t busy writing detective stories or being a doctor, Arthur Conan Doyle played (amateur) football for a club in which English city?

6. In 1935-36, the championship trophies of three major American sports leagues were all held by teams from which city?

7. Where is the point on Earth that is farthest from the planet’s centre?

8. What was the score in the final set of the longest tennis match in history?

9. C. S. Lewis, Aldous Huxley, and Anthony Burgess were three important British authors, but they have one more thing in common: their deaths didn’t quite get the attention they deserved. Why not?

10. In 2005, the late great David Bowie made a guest appearance on the album of which Danish band?

Oh God this is hard this week.

1. Not a clue but had a rubbbish guess.

2. I read this and even counted how many I had read, (a lot), but I can only remember really being unhapy at the amount of rubbish on the list. I can name I think 5 authors who are on the list multiple times, but no idea which is the most. Good question.

3. I've had a little think and a little guess, but that's all it is.

4. I think I might actually know this one.

5. I have a sneaking suspicion I know where he died, and I have gone for a City near there.

6. I know this.

7. If just the Country gets you the point then I might have it. If an explanation as to whu it is the case gets it then I think I have it. If more is required, apologies, that's all I've got.

8. I know who played, nut not what the score was, I've had a bit of a guess.

9. I've only even ever heard of CS Lewis.

10. I can't even name a single Danish bank.

1. Took a wild Guess

2. Changed my mind on this one after a late recollection of the event

3. Another wild Guess but have a theory behind it

4. I am not sure of this one as I know 2 nations for definite that have never won any olympic medal...maybe a third nation

5. This is local knowledge to me

6. Knew this one

7. I know the answer, just hope dllu accepts my spelling of it

8. remember this one really well

9. remember this from school

10. strangely knew this one

I have had to ask for clarification on question 4 as after I submitted my answers, I went hunting and found multiple answers for it

You are absolutely right.

As with all my questions, this one was based on a piece of trivia I thought I knew. I am usually quite throrough in checking my questions to make sure my own answers are correct and not (too) debatable. However, having researched further, it seems the question as I posed it actually doesn't make sense. My bad entirely.

So to be fair to all participants, I will replace question 4 and of course allow the four people who already answered to send in a new answer for this question - which should be fairly straightforward:

New Question 4

4. Before Michael Phelps, who was the most successful Olympic athlete of all time in terms of medals?

I would just like to state for the record that I am prepared to physically fight anyone who claims that my answer to the new #4 question is not correct! :lol:

if it is related to Bob Carolgees Dog then........ *fisticuffs at dawn*

I would just like to state for the record that I am prepared to physically fight anyone who claims that my answer to the new #4 question is not correct! :lol:

I'm afraid to say the correct answer (according to the supreme authority = me) is the one whose name you couldn't remember. I do like the reasoning in your answer, though... ;)

I'm afraid to say the correct answer (according to the supreme authority = me) is the one whose name you couldn't remember. I do like the reasoning in your answer, though... ;)

How very dare you! :mad::herman::lol:

It's not so much that I can't remember the name and more that I don't think I have ever known it, (although I'm aware that he/she exists).

I'm sorry to say this, but I do believe another question also might have multiple answers.. I mentioned it in my answers.

I know which one you mean (#3), but I have been unable to find any sources for the other possible answers you mention. So if you have any, please PM me.

Again, I apologize for the inconvenience. I guess the facts I thought I knew aren't as set in stone as I thought they were... :rolleyes:

Just an update: I have had 9 sets of answers so far. The scores range from 0(!) to 8...

I thought that I had got #6 correct even if you try to tell me that my answer for #4 is wrong and we I have to challenge you to pistols at dawn to return my honour.

Now I'm not so sure. :thdn:

I know which one you mean (#3), but I have been unable to find any sources for the other possible answers you mention. So if you have any, please PM me.

Again, I apologize for the inconvenience. I guess the facts I thought I knew aren't as set in stone as I thought they were... :rolleyes:

Sent you a PM. Sorry for doing it so late.... Unfortunately I haven't got any "easy" sources, but I provided links to the squads at fifa.com, and links to each game of the respective teams, proving they used all their players.

Archived