Players for the False 9 Role

Meph

Hi guys,

I had a look over the forum rules so I think I'm able to post this in here..

Who is the best player to play in the F9 role in a top team? I have looked high and wide and tried various players but nobody seems to fit the bill. Are there any top strikers out there where this role is their favored position?

I am Man Utd and I would have thought Rooney would have been ok there but he performs terribly, as do any of the other forwards.

Another question - which relates to the same thing, but can a scout be instructed to specifically find someone who's favored position is, for example, the F9?

Thanks

I'm not surprised Rooney's terrible playing that role, he was terrible for me in any role I gave him so I shipped him out.

Is there a specific reason as to why you wish to play a False 9 up front? I can only think of one player on the game whose stats are suited to that role, and that's Messi. What is your formation and what roles are given to the other players, specifically your striker's supporting players?

Also, I don't think it's possible to scout a player's 'preferred' role as such, but you can scout for players based on role suitability.

I'm not surprised Rooney's terrible playing that role, he was terrible for me in any role I gave him so I shipped him out.

Is there a specific reason as to why you wish to play a False 9 up front? I can only think of one player on the game whose stats are suited to that role, and that's Messi. What is your formation and what roles are given to the other players, specifically your striker's supporting players?

Also, I don't think it's possible to scout a player's 'preferred' role as such, but you can scout for players based on role suitability.

Well I'm using the tactic Mr Langvatn 5-3-2 Spin the Wheel FM16 V2 tactic from the download section and in my first season it brought me the European Cup and FA cup, but I only finished 3rd in the league miles behind Arsenal and Chelsea and only 3 points ahead of 4th and 5 ahead of 5th, so it was pretty close towards the end.

Anyway the point is that this formation has a F9, but whoever I play in the role is useless. I have tried different variations, for example playing a AM behind the main striker as a way of accommodating Mata but that didn't work either. The formation works really well in that I had the best defence in the league by a long shot and created a shed load of chances every game, conversion is the issue.

You're right about Rooney, he's useless, 10 prem league goals, 4 assists, 1 POM and a 6.91 average rating, I tried playing him in a few positions and he just doesn't do it.

Well, your neighbours Man City have one out to loan at inter: Stevan Jovetic he does a great job as False 9

Good shout, but he's on loan at Inter for a second season and the chances of them selling to me at a half reasonable price would be slim

Mario Götze was often used in the past by both Jogi Löw and Pep Guardiola as False 9.

I don't have FM16 here at the moment, so I don't know if his attributes in the game suit him.

I am in general suspicious about using downloaded tactics without tweaking them to my needs. If something does not work for your team, how about turning a wheel here or there to make it fit for your team? Managers who tried to force their idea onto their team without taking into account the players have rarely been successful. But that would be a question for the tactics forum, and I guess the question about "good False 9" players is totally valid and might interest others as well.

Max Kruse (Wolfsburg)

Thanks guys - Max Kruse certainly looks like my man but he's just signed for Dortmund ! :(

Sometimes you might have to train a player to adapt to a role. For example in real life you know he is a False Nine, but FM shows he is suited as Trequartista. So you might need to train the player to play the False Nine role.

How do I retrain for a specific role? The option in training is greyed out for me...

These probably aren't Utd-quality from the off but i've had great success with the role using Bolton's Zach Clough, Nacional's Rodrigo Amaral and Grasshoppers' Shani Tarashaj. All have developed exceptionally well in my saves and Clough has the advantage of being home-grown too. Jonathan Calleri of Boca could also be a decent rotation option whilst Donis Avdijaj of Schalke has great potential and shouldn't be too hard to prise away once his loan spell is over. Forum favourite Gabriel Barbosa fits the role well too.

Still, Messi aside and as mentioned above, Dybala is surely the gold-standard for the role.

I agree with Mancunian, also in my opinion players who can suit perfectly the false 9 role are very rare.

Messi is one but I don't find other.

Also in real life I think that there are many players and managers that try to use a false 9 but in reality they want something else. They want a forward that come deep to get the ball opening some spaces and get the midfielder involved. This, in FM terms, is a Treq or a DLF with particular PI. Not a false 9.

Probably, seeing the stats, only Dybala could be a good false 9, ecept Messi of course.

The real false 9 is a player, often acting as lone central striker, with the main target to come deep to get the ball, turn and play. This is the most difficult aspect. He need the agility and dribbling to turn and play, often 1vs1 now. In this case I think that only Messi can fulfil that role in a good way.

Paulo Dybala is the closest thing I can think of really, he's just signed for Juventus at the beginning of the game, and Juventus are loaded with cash so expect to pay a pretty penny for him. Quality though, or you can bring Pogba back instead and retrain him as a striker, Pogba's counts towards United's homegrown quota too:D

How do I retrain for a specific role? The option in training is greyed out for me...

This might be something to do with Staff Responsibilities. If you have a member of staff in charge of individual training the option will be greyed out until you no longer delegate that job & put yourself as responsible for it.

does this tactic youve downloaded have explanations on what to get for each role as thats a good start.

also we could name every good striker in the world and they all may be **** for you without knowing your tactical setup etc.

like for my setup Berrardi has been amazing as a false 9 but then my tactic is setup around him to be the star guy.

Archived