Manchester United Thread 2015/16

Harryseaess

Is there a better way to win the cup? You can win comfortably but that never brings the joy that comes with doing it the hard way. To go behind, to go down to 10 men (Silly from Smalling) and to come back and win it in extra time with an amazing goal from a home grown youngster that bleeds Man Utd.

Its been 3 years since we won anything (Not counting community Shield) and 12 years since we got our hands on the FA Cup. Very happy.

Also delighted with the Mourinho news. Would have been nice for LvG to be able to enjoy last night but hey ho. Whether people consider it classless or not it was Mendes who leaked it and not the club. I think we need Mourinho right now, i dont think there was better available this summer and LvG had to go. What would have been the point of his final year, he wasnt building anything. Thank you to him for blooding certain youth players, like Rashford.

It has been a poor season but ends with a little joy and excitement and allows us to look forward to next season.

• Replies 11.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Fosu Mensah is in the midfield mix too.

My hope is that Fosu-Mensah can make the breakthrough as our starting right back next season. Valencia's actually been pretty decent since his return to the side, and I do like Darmian, but neither have the same mix of strength, speed and actual technical ability that Fosu-Mensah does. Shame that LVG lost complete trust in him after the penalty in the Everton game, as I think he probably would have already cemented his position in the first team if it weren't for that.

Carrick and Schweinsteiger, as good as they are, don't look like they can last for a good run of games. That only leaves Fellaini, Herrera, Schneiderlin and possibly Rooney in the centre of midfield. Not really good enough if you ask me.

Hopefully Blind moves back to midfield and ideally Mata gets played at 10. Fellaini gone. Carrick too.

So for 2 CM spots we would have Schneiderlin and Herrera as our starting pair with Rooney, Blind and Schweinsteiger as back up as well as any youth players too. Thats plenty.

My hope is that Fosu-Mensah can make the breakthrough as our starting right back next season. Valencia's actually been pretty decent since his return to the side, and I do like Darmian, but neither have the same mix of strength, speed and actual technical ability that Fosu-Mensah does. Shame that LVG lost complete trust in him after the penalty in the Everton game, as I think he probably would have already cemented his position in the first team if it weren't for that.

Isn't he a centre mid?

Isn't he a centre mid?

Yeah, but he can play anywhere along the back too. The most important thing is getting him regular game time and the best opportunity for that is probably at full back.

Yeah, but he can play anywhere along the back too. The most important thing is getting him regular game time and the best opportunity for that is probably at full back.

Got to disagree. He needs to play in his best position.

No problem with him getting minutes if the team need him there due to injuries etc, but to bring him in as the starting rb for the season will hinder his development as a midfielder

Got to disagree. He needs to play in his best position.

No problem with him getting minutes if the team need him there due to injuries etc, but to bring him in as the starting rb for the season will hinder his development as a midfielder

Maybe, but I really don't see Mourinho playing a talented 19 year old over established players in central midfield, even if those senior players are under performing (see: Loftus-Cheek). Fosu-Mensah is fortunate enough that he has the ability play a number of positions to a high standard, and if he ultimately ends up as a full back then that's fine. David Alaba was an extremely talented central midfield player in the Bayern youth team, but was never going to break through there. Instead he played a hell of a lot at left back and now he's one of the world's most complete defenders.

Just watched the final. Great to win, the game was a bit drab in the first half and only really got going 10-15 minutes in to the second half. Was still entertaining enough, just not a great game though finals rarely are.

Amazing strike by Lingard but can't believe he got MOTM on BBC considering he came on in the 90th minute :D Says a lot about the rest of our players because, whilst I couldn't really agree that Lingard was MOTM, I also couldn't really name anyone else on our team that I would have picked over him, except Rashford. Would just about have had Rashford over Lingard.

Rooney had moments of brilliance and moments of utter ineptitude; more of the latter, unfortunately. He's better further up in midfield than as far back as he was though. He was absolutely fantastic against Bournemouth in a more advanced midfield role.

Smalling was silly to get sent off, but was one of those where if he wasn't on a yellow you're screaming at him to do it because we could have been in immense trouble otherwise. Still, when you're on a yellow already, and it's that far down the pitch, you have restrain yourself.

de Gea didn't have a great deal to do but, as usual, did what he had to brilliantly.

Anyway, great to win the FA Cup after quite a while without doing so, and nice to get some silverware so we don't go 3 whole seasons without. Need to improve a hell of a lot next season though, just see that there is a lot of noise about Mourinho coming in which I think I'd begrudgingly take over LVG but won't be dancing over.

Well, obviously I didn't. Think it is harsh to blame him there. Near post yes, but it's fiercely struck. Should probably have been nearer to his front post but given he saved what would have been a late winner from Gayle and made at least one other great save from Bolasie he still had a good game.

I know fullback is a relatively easy position to blood youngsters, but if I were Fosu Mensah, I'd rather break through in my favoured position getting rotated as one of three central midfielders (with a couple of the players ahead of me having severe fitness/injury issues) rather than persuade the next manager I should be selected as right back ahead of an Italy international, a surprisingly effective Valencia (probably United's most solid performer in the FA cup final), and even Varela who has looked very useful when not expected to actually defend that much

I know fullback is a relatively easy position to blood youngsters, but if I were Fosu Mensah, I'd rather break through in my favoured position getting rotated as one of three central midfielders (with a couple of the players ahead of me having severe fitness/injury issues) rather than persuade the next manager I should be selected as right back ahead of an Italy international, a surprisingly effective Valencia (probably United's most solid performer in the FA cup final), and even Varela who has looked very useful when not expected to actually defend that much

Not a bad shout, perhaps. If Carrick isn't happy to stay on for one more year in a reduced role I'd let him leave and would also say that we should move Schweinsteiger on. Schneiderlin, Herrera and TMF with Fellaini being used in the right situation or when 2 of the other 3 are out should be enough cover if you opted to go down that route. Would obviously prefer Carrick to stay as he can be very useful still, but he's noticably on the decline, sadly. If injuries get really bad you can even play Rooney in a more defensive midfield role but that would be last resort. Alternatively, buy Pogba (not happening).

Well, obviously I didn't. Think it is harsh to blame him there. Near post yes, but it's fiercely struck. Should probably have been nearer to his front post but given he saved what would have been a late winner from Gayle and made at least one other great save from Bolasie he still had a good game.

He did most of what he had do do well. His positioning for the goal was bad, he shouldn't have been beaten from there. So to say he did what he had to brilliantly just isn't completely true

Not a bad shout, perhaps. If Carrick isn't happy to stay on for one more year in a reduced role I'd let him leave and would also say that we should move Schweinsteiger on. Schneiderlin, Herrera and TMF with Fellaini being used in the right situation or when 2 of the other 3 are out should be enough cover if you opted to go down that route. Would obviously prefer Carrick to stay as he can be very useful still, but he's noticably on the decline, sadly. If injuries get really bad you can even play Rooney in a more defensive midfield role but that would be last resort. Alternatively, buy Pogba (not happening).

jose will bring a dm/cm in who I don't know, ideally Kroos but cant see that unless pogba goes to madrid(Grzegorz Krychowiak is being heavily linked to us now)

TFM is going to be a great player in that position too was hoping LVG would have played him there he is almost ready for the first team needs the obvious input a young player needs especially from a seasoned old pro who has done it all Schweinsteiger hopefully takes him under his wing and develops that side of his game.

Saw warren joyce a couple of years back on MUTV stating in terms of skills the kids he works with do not get any better after 17-18 they are almost developed its the selection process/experience etc that has to be worked on and the team ethic...think he was referring to Ravel Morrison(last I heard of him Lazio had him listed for loan with no takers) when he said some of the best technical players don't make it at Utd due to failing in the later

According to reports, he wants Giggsy's seat on the bench :D

he can have it

if he stays he will be a third time assman:D

the NYSE opens around about 2pm Monday afternoon GMT so should see the official announcement then if not sooner

a good read lots to come out over the next few days

''With that type of regimented structure, it should be no surprise Ángel Di María did not flourish at Old Trafford but has excelled for Paris Saint-Germain. Memphis Depay has struggled, too, and his cocksure attitude hardly goes hand in hand with what the £25m signing has shown in his first season at the club. When Depay made a mistake that led to Chelsea’s goal in a 1-1 draw at Stamford Bridge in February he was ordered to play in the reserves the following day.''

Difference between a mass briefing and a player spreading a story to his journalist pals?

Besides, it's blatantly Giggs or someone who wants Giggs to take over. All of the leaks mention how great he is and how much the players want him.

Was going to reply to you saying that I wouldn't be surprised if the "player" was Giggs & then when u hit the reply with quote button, I see you've already edited it to do the same yourself :D

It's ridiculous how conceited that man is. Have absolutely zero respect for him as a man any more, I'd go as far as saying it's probably less than zero now.

Was going to reply to you saying that I wouldn't be surprised if the "player" was Giggs & then when u hit the reply with quote button, I see you've already edited it to do the same yourself :D

It's ridiculous how conceited that man is. Have absolutely zero respect for him as a man any more, I'd go as far as saying it's probably less than zero now.

What's been galling is the the number of Ex-Reds he's publicly had in his corner, cheerleading him throughout.

its pretty sad because as a player a true legend(a term thrown about too much now)

however I would like to see him leave with LVG its time he/club cut ties

I think/hope Jose will bring in some recent ex players to get them on board, I wouldn't be surprised to see scholes and nev coming in.

Jesse \o/.

Feels great to win the FA Cup again, its been far too long.

I was front row of the third tier and the players not in the squad were sat below. Memphis didn't seem interested at all, make of that what you will.

From the celebrations on the pitch I feel DDG is off, he was the last one off the pitch and kept coming back with the cup and clapping the fans for ages etc. Either that or he's just loved winning the FA Cup but I feel it's more likely to be the former.

In regards to LvG/Mourinho - I would love it. LvG gets to sign off with the FA Cup, still more successful than most managers that have managed in England and we get a top top manager. Reckon the club will make an announcement in a few hours when the NYSE opens.

Also, I wish Giggs would **** off. He came out of the dugout at the start of extra time and acted like a cheerleader, throwing his hands in the air towards the crowd to get them to cheer. This is a man that has sat on his arse for 2 years and done **** all. He has the cheek to ask the fans to cheer when he's been part of that shower of **** for two years? He's at the club on merit and he needs to leave sharpish.

Harry I hope you are wrong about DDG but if he wants to go back home to Spain we have to let him go and use it in our favour to get a varane or kroos forget the cash get some quality in instead

rather he stays but if he wants to go lets not drag it out get it done with us gaining something

hope you enjoyed the final I've done 2 first norman whiteside's final think 85

and 2005 the loss to the arse on pens

the former was brilliant the later not so ;) and it wasn't at Wembley so felt strange

Harry I hope you are wrong about DDG but if he wants to go back home to Spain we have to let him go and use it in our favour to get a varane or kroos forget the cash get some quality in instead

rather he stays but if he wants to go lets not drag it out get it done with us gaining something

hope you enjoyed the final I've done 2 first norman whiteside's final think 85

and 2005 the loss to the arse on pens

the former was brilliant the later not so ;) and it wasn't at Wembley so felt strange

All indications suggest he wants to stay now LVG has gone tbh. Zidane and Madrid already saying the ever popular Navas will be their number 1 next season

I think Mourinho's appointment at United is great news, not only for the club but for me personally.

You see, the wife loves Jose, so hopefully I will be able to watch more games of my beloved United next season. ;)

Archived