FM09 Pre-order / delivery - keep it all in here please

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its very unlikely any shop would sell it for the maximum that they're allowed to. If you look around I'm sure you'll be able to find a good price. I managed to get FIFA 09 the weekend it was released for £28 at Asda which I was quite chuffed with.

$75????? are they insane? i just got a ps3 game SOCOM for $59.99 with a bluetooth headset. Is the game coming with a soccer ball? lol

For once it'll be the Americans which suffer from the strength of the pound. Not the other way around. :)

£39.99 is the average price for a game in todays market? So I don't know why people are complaining so much?
The average recommended retail price is :)

?? Not sure what you mean mate.

£39.99 for a PC game is NOT average. That would suggest someone is selling games for even more, if that is average !!

It's so later they can discount it to £29.99 or £27.99 and claim 25% off especially for YOU during the credit crunch. It makes out like they care.

Products have to be on sale for a certain amount of time - 28 days, I think - before you can pretend to offer a discount to your customers.

£39.99 for a PC game is NOT average. That would suggest someone is selling games for even more, if that is average !!

The games companies give out a reccomended retail price. This would be what they recommended the game is sold for. If you look on such sites as play, it will say "saving x amount" this is taken from the recommended retail.

It tends to range between £34.99 and £39.99 although most companies have it on about £5 - £10 cheaper.

He's saying it is the average reccomended retail price. The likelyhood of any Pc game being that price is very low.

He's saying it is the average reccomended retail price. The likelyhood of any Pc game being that price is very low.

If £39.99 was average, then someone somewhere must be selling it for more than that. And somewhere else less than that !! That is what AVERAGE mean(s) Excuse the pun !!

The RRP !!!

Which is far higher that any previous RRP of the FM series. That is the point !!

RRP stands for "Recommended Retail Price" not the actual price it would be :).

FM last year was a RRP of £34.99 If I recall. This year its £39.99 which is of no suprise.

I don't get this thread and why it's still going. Plenty of people have pointed out that it's available for far less than £39.99, so what's the problem?

£39.99 = RRP - £29.99 = actual price.

I just think that to try and con people into thinking "Wow, what a discount!" these places have ramped up the "so-called" RRP to a level that is plainly ridiculous for a PC game. In order to make them pay what is usually around the full price.!!

If you don't get a thread, then try reading it first ;)

I just think that to try and con people into thinking "Wow, what a discount!" these places have ramped up the "so-called" RRP to a level that is plainly ridiculous for a PC game. In order to make them pay what is usually around the full price.!!

If someone is thick enough to think they are getting some wonderful 25% discount on release day, then more fool them. I would say I don't think anyone could be that thick, but i've read most of the threads created today ;)

Be honest, you were trying to make a sensationalist thread , and failed .

If £39.99 was average, then someone somewhere must be selling it for more than that. And somewhere else less than that !! That is what AVERAGE mean(s) Excuse the pun !!

ORLY?

Never heard of mode, median and mean?

Average can be any of them, in this case mode (most frequent value) would fit it quite well.

"Average" is actually a meaningless term

The Department of Business Enterprise & Regulatory Reform (DEBRR) has issued the Pricing Practices Guide (www.berr.gov.uk). In it, it states that it is acceptable for marketers to quote Recommended Retail Prices (RRPs) if they are genuine and not significantly different from the price at which the product might be sold. The CAP Code mirrors that requirement and Clause 15.5 states “A recommended retail price (RRP), or similar, used as a basis of comparison should be genuine; it should not differ significantly from the price at which the product is generally sold.”

In 2006, the General Media Panel was asked to define the test of what constituted “generally sold”. Although it did not specifically define the test, the Panel considered that the product and sector could play a vital part in reaching a conclusion. It was feasible that large, seldom-bought items such as furniture might be considered “generally sold” if available through a relatively small number of nationwide stores, for example IKEA. In 2006, the ASA accepted that sales in two outlets for a pair of binoculars and ten outlets for hearing aids was adequate to justify that the products were “generally sold” (Express Newspapers plc and BVG-Airflo Group plc, 8 November 2006, and Ultravox Holdings Ltd, 23 August 2006). Marketers should bear in mind that the same number of sales outlets would almost certainly not be enough for other, more frequently-bought products.

The ASA might regard products that are available online as satisfying the “generally sold” principle but the mere inclusion of a product on a seller’s website is not necessarily enough. The ASA has upheld complaints about marketers who have claimed to have offered for sale products that no one has bought (Woods Supplements, 21 June 2007).

In 2008, the ASA ruled that an advertiser that was advertising DVDs before they were on general release should not use RRPs because it could not show the product was generally sold at that price. The use of RRPs for products not yet launched or available only for order is therefore likely to be considered notional and incapable of substantiation until a retail market is established (Play Ltd, 9 April 2008).

Even if they can provide documentary evidence that the quoted RRP was recommended by the manufacturer, marketers should be aware that the ASA has nevertheless upheld complaints because it has not been convinced that the RRP was the price at which the product was sold (Jessop Group Ltd, 14 June 2006). Marketers should avoid stating an “RRP” if the product is sold only by them.

The definition of what constitutes a significantly different price does not seem to have been tested but an adjudication in 2006 considered whether a selling price of £40 satisfied the use of an RRP of £49.95. The ASA concluded that the claim was misleading (Straight plc t/a Blackwall, 1 November 2006).

In 2001, the ASA upheld a complaint about a bedroom furniture retailer that claimed to offer goods at a significant discount. A footnote explained that the offer was based on the list price. Because the advertiser was unable to show that the ''list price'' was anything other than a notional price at which furniture was rarely, if ever, sold, the ASA upheld the complaint (Sharps Bedrooms, 28 March 2001). A similar decision in 2007 suggests that the ASA would continue to apply that logic (Scotford Ltd, t/a Protex Systems, 4 July 2007).

Marketers should remember that prices, whether recommended retail prices or not, should be genuine and not misleading (Advanced Direct Information Services Ltd, 5 May 2004). Marketers should refer to the DTI’s Guidance for Traders on Price Indications.

Looks fine to me so far. Ordered from them an hour or so ago (you pay via cheque or paypal - the latter being far more useful obviously) and soon after I received a message from paypal saying money sent then shortly after one from clangames. All looked good, speedy, efficient.

Fully expect it to arrive in time next week - sometimes you just have to take a plunge with these things :)

Looks fine to me so far. Ordered from them an hour or so ago (you pay via cheque or paypal - the latter being far more useful obviously) and soon after I received a message from paypal saying money sent then shortly after one from clangames. All looked good, speedy, efficient.

Fully expect it to arrive in time next week - sometimes you just have to take a plunge with these things :)

Thanks mate, im just about to order it now myself.

Archived