World Cup Referee Appointments Thread

Michael F

Thoughts so far...

Game 1: Brazil vs. Croatia - Nishimura (Japan)

Curate's egg from Nishimura - good first half in which he gave the game every chance but it all went pear shaped in the 2nd.

Neymar's card for me was borderline; Big Phil (not Scolari, Big Phil Dowd from the Potteries) would have gone red (eventually) but can see an argument both ways

For me the 2 greatest scourges blighting soccer at present are cheating and the amount of pulling, holding, shoving etc which goes on in the penalty area. I throw into the pot (with no axe to grind either way) this thought - are we getting so used to such behaviour being overlooked that we begin to see it as a shock, even wrong, when a decision is given for such an offence? Howard Webb was criticised by a majority at Euro 2008 for giving a penalty for holding in the area, a decision was right in law, brave and refreshing to see. Let's be frank - the defender was holding Fred and technically therefore guilty of an offence which, being in the area, was a penalty. Yes, it was minimal contact compared to most incidents which we see and which are overlooked and, yes, Fred made the most of it (cheated?), but if it had taken place anywhere else on the pitch a foul would have been given and we wouldn't really be batting an eyelid.

They say that the ref for the opener sets out the stall for others to follow. If by any remote chance Nishimura's decision may make other defenders think and possibly cause an excess of penalties for similar holding incidents in the area, perhaps some good may come out of the whole episode.

Was I the only one to sense a look on Nishimura's face of "O hell what have I done" as soon as he gave the penalty? He was quick on the whistle, correct in law but has opened up a bigger can of worms I feel.

Game 2: Mexico vs. Cameroon - Roldan (Colombia)

Very inconsistent in terms of cards. While the yellow card he did give was correct, there have been several challenges by Cameroon players which have all been worthy of a yellow card, yet gone unpunished. I'll be very surprised if he stays beyond the group stage.

If there is an upside to yet another rank poor piece of officiating, it may be that the good folk of England will actually realise that our guys week in week out are very good.

Surely the Referee and AR have used the headsets to check with each other who flicked the ball on at the near post and if the referee made that call or failed to spot the erroneous call by the AR, he has only himself to blame for getting an early flight home?

Game 3: Spain vs. Netherlands - Rizzoli (Italy)

Excellent I thought. Clear penalty correctly awarded, I can't really believe there was any debate about that.

The only possible problem was the Costa incident, but I don't think he saw it. One of those where he knew something had happened but didn't know what, so read the riot act to both players involved (along the lines of I know what happened but can't prove it, and I'm watching you both like a hawk now) .

Excellent referee performance, and an excellent game (unless you are Spanish)

The best part?, he was consistent .. it was perfectly easy to know how he would call most things after about 20 mins.

Game 4: Chile vs. Australia - Doue (Ivory Coast)

Efficiently went about his business and a very good performance from Doue. Could perhaps be easy to say that he had no major calls to make - but neither really did Roldan & his team, and look what happened there! More than deserves a second game.

Game 5: Colombia vs. Greece - Geiger (USA)

Very impressed.

I like the way he allowed some physical contact without blowing up every time someone touched someone else and thought he stamped a quiet authority on the game from the outset.

There have been criticisms of players going down easily in the previous games and he tuned in to this and didn't 'buy' cheap fouls.

What also struck me was that he seemed to have a good rapport with the players and they in turn showed a good level of respect towards him.

Could well be a dark horse for possible Final appointment if he nails his second fixture - Spain vs. Chile.

Game 6: Uruguay vs. Costa Rica - Brych (Germany)

Usual "more bad stuff than good stuff" performance from Brych tbh.

Penalty was correctly given for a Twickenham type tackle - although failed to give an obvious red card just before that, when the Costa Rica player clearly left the ground and jumped in with both feet.

Goalkeeper was off his line by at least a metre for the penalty - would have been interesting to see if he would have ordered a retake if the kick had been missed.

He missed at least two challenges that deserved red cards and was exceptionally lenient in the first half with regards to yellow card offences. Foul detection was inconsistent - and any foul he did give was with a very very exaggerated whistle which isn't required at all. He'll need to do a lot lot better than that performance to progress very far

Game 7: England vs. Italy - Kuipers (Netherlands)

Best performance of the whole tournament so far. Excellent performance by the Champions League Final referee. Good empathy for the game and excellent decision making. You could see the players really respected him as there was no hint of dissent whatsoever. Looked in full control throughout and thought he was spot on with the Gerrard penalty appeal.

His main talent is that he actually makes refereeing look so simple.

Should Holland fail to progress, although doubtful, Kuipers will play a major part in the final stages of the competition.

Game 8: Ivory Coast vs. Japan - Osses (Chile)

Thought he did very well. He was in full control throughout, correctly turned down 2 penalty appeals from Cote D'Ivoire, and all 4 yellow cards were spot on IMO.

My only criticism would be that in the first half, he got in the way a couple of times, and was hit by the ball once. However, that's only a minor thing in what was a fine performance from Osses and his team.

Could go quite far in the later stages.

Game 9: Switzerland vs. Ecuador - Irmatov (Uzbekistan)

Unfortunately the good run of refereeing performances ground to a massive halt here - Irmatov was abject.

Allowing Ecuador to take free kicks from the wrong place on more than one occasion (spray now highlights this nicely) - one of which lead directly to an Ecuador goal.

Incorrectly disallowed Swiss goal for offside. He's positioned around 10 yards or less away looking straight at the area where the step over from the Swiss player occurs - he's in full possession as to if the Swiss player makes contact. No excuses for getting it wrong.

Swiss winner also looks to be offside as well - so the sum total is that it's two goals incorrectly allowed and one incorrectly disallowed...

Shouldn't be given another game this tournament tbh.

Game 10: France vs. Honduras - Ricci (Brazil)

Thought he handled the Pogba incident well. Kept his head, remained calm, and gave himself plenty of time before making his decision. Think a yellow a piece was about right too.

Penalty and sending off were spot on - as were all of the other cautions handed out.

I thought Ricci was really rather impressive. It's certainly a different sort of style to the "man management" approach but I think it was an astute appointment putting him on this match because it's nature demanded more of a 'by the book' approach and a certain method of engaged detachment. This was a game which could easily have got out of hand and Ricci did very well to keep the lid on it even if he was a tad lenient in the last few minutes.

Considering, at international level, one of the lesser experienced referees at this tournament, he has been excellent all round so far. Very impressed.

Game 11: Argentina vs. Bosnia - Aguilar (El Salvador)

I must admit he is a very unpredictable referee but did well today. A very solid, and impressive 'low profile' performance in what proved to be a comfortable and entertaining match. Aguilar, at his second World Cup Finals competition, is one to keep an eye on for progression within the forthcoming rounds of this WC.

Game 12: Germany vs. Portugal - Mazic (Serbia)

To summarise:

- 100% penalty, but missing red card for DOGSO (crucial mistake)

- lack of red card for elbow as a weapon (Moutinho, 41', crucial mistake)

- lack of penalty for Portugal (crucial mistake)

- Mazic hit by the ball twice, including at the start of the move where it should've been a penalty for Portugal (point for improvement)

- lack of yellow card for Ronaldo's protests

It's 7.2/7.3 in the UEFA Marking scale and normally he should be at home. A pity, because I like this ref a lot.

His positioning was all over the place. Twice he got in the way of German moves and got hit with the ball, with the second one leading directly to an attack for Portugal that should have resulted in a penalty. Whether it was turned down due to Mazic's involvement only he will know, but no referee wants an assist to his name. The another time he gave a free kick to Germany where he was stood no more than 2 yards from the challenge, and that is just too close to play - only needed the ball to pop out in his direction and would have no way of moving out of the way.

Finally, and probably the worst of the lot, he did nothing about the Portugal reaction after the penalty decision. One player even had hold of him, and others were trying to lay hands on him, and he really didn't manage it well. Likewise when Portugal were denied the penalty Ronaldo chased him for some distance waving his arms around and screaming in his face. This really just should not be going unchecked.

Game 13: Iran vs. Nigeria - Vera (Ecuador)

I should think Vera was in imminent danger of expiring through boredom. Fancy having having worked your way up the refereeing ladder to being selected for the greatest football event on earth and then being presented with having to referee that old rubbish. Feel a bit sorry for him to be honest; he deserves another game from FIFA as an apology for having to referee that rubbish!!!

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Game 5: Colombia vs. Greece - Geiger (USA)

Very impressed.

I like the way he allowed some physical contact without blowing up every time someone touched someone else and thought he stamped a quiet authority on the game from the outset.

There have been criticisms of players going down easily in the previous games and he tuned in to this and didn't 'buy' cheap fouls.

What also struck me was that he seemed to have a good rapport with the players and they in turn showed a good level of respect towards him.

Could well be a dark horse for possible Final appointment if he nails his second fixture - Spain vs. Chile.

thought he was pretty great again, despite all of the playacting he had to deal with from both teams. love that he added 6 minutes in the second half because of chile's blatant timewasting. not many other referee would have done that.

GROUP C, Match 21

18 June 2014, 18:00 CET

Estádio Nacional, Brasilia

COLOMBIA - CÔTE D'IVOIRE

Referee: Howard WEBB (ENG)

Assistant Referee 1: Michael MULLARKEY (ENG)

Assistant Referee 2: Darren CANN (ENG)

Fourth Official: Victor CARRILLO (PER)

Standby Assistant Referee:

GROUP D, Match 23

18 June 2014, 21:00 CET

Arena Corinthians, São Paulo

URUGUAY - ENGLAND

Referee: Carlos VELASCO CARBALLO (ESP)

Assistant Referee 1: Roberto ALONSO FERNÁNDEZ (ESP)

Assistant Referee 2: Juan Carlos YUSTE JIMÉNEZ (ESP)

Fourth Official: Alireza FAGHANI (IRN)

GROUP C, Match 22

19 June 2014, 00:00 CET

Estádio das Dunas, Natal

JAPAN - GREECE

Referee: Joel AGUILAR (SLV)

Assistant Referee 1: William TORRES (SLV)

Assistant Referee 2: Juan ZUMBA (SLV)

Fourth Official: Norbert HAUATA (TAH)

Group D -

Italy v Costa Rica, 17:00 -Arena Pernambuco, Recife -

Referee:Enrique OSSES (CHI)

Assistant Referee 1: Carlos Astroza(CHI)

Assistant Referee 2: Sergio Roman(CHI)

Fourth Official: Neant Alioum (CMR)

Reserve Assistant: Djibril Camara (SEN)

Group E -

Switzerland v France, 20:00 -Arena Fonte Nova, Salvador

Referee: Bjorn KUIPERS (NED)

Assistant Referee 1: Sander Van Roekel (NED)

Assistant Referee 2: Erwin Zeinstra (NED)

Fourth Official: Svein Oddvar Moen (NOR)

Reserve Assistant: Kim Thomas Haglund (NOR)

Group E -

Honduras v Ecuador, 23:00 - Arena da Baixada, Curitiba

Referee:Benjamin WILLIAMS (AUS)

Assistant Referee 1: Matthew Cream (AUS)

Assistant Referee 2: Hakan Anaz (AUS)

Fourth Official: Yuichi Nishimura (JPN)

GROUP F, Match 27

21 June 2014, 18:00 CET

Estadio Mineirao, Belo Horizonte

ARGENTINA - IRAN

Referee: Milorad MAŽIĆ (SRB)

Assistant Referee 1: Milovan RISTIĆ (SRB)

Assistant Referee 2: Dalibor ĐURĐEVIĆ (SRB)

Standby Assistant Referee: Aden Marwa RANGE (KEN)

GROUP G, Match 29

21 June 2014, 21:00 CET

Estadio Castelao, Fortaleza

GERMANY - GHANA

Referee: Sandro RICCI (BRA)

Assistant Referee 1: Emerson DE CARVALHO (BRA)

Assistant Referee 2: Marcelo VAN GASSE (BRA)

Fourth Official: Víctor CARRILLO (PER)

Standby Assistant Referee: Rodney AQUINO (PAR)

GROUP F, Match 28

21 June 2014, 00:00 CET

Arena Pantanal, Cuiaba

NIGERIA - BOSNIA & HERZEGOVINA

Referee: Peter O'LEARY (NZL)

Assistant Referee 1: Jan Hendrik HINTZ (NZL)

Assistant Referee 2: Mark RULE (NZL)

Fourth Official: Roberto MORENO (PAN)

Standby Assistant Referee: Eric BORIA (USA)

GROUP H, Match 31

22 June 2014, 18:00 CET

Maracanã - Estádio Jornalista Mário Filho, Rio De Janeiro

BELGIUM - RUSSIA

Referee: Dr. Felix BRYCH (GER)

Assistant Referee 1: Mark BORSCH (GER)

Assistant Referee 2: Stefan LUPP (GER)

Fourth Official: Carlos VERA (ECU)

Standby Assistant Referee: Byron ROMERO (ECU)

GROUP H, Match 32

22 June 2014, 21:00 CET

Estadio Beira-Rio, Porto Alegre

KOREA REPUBLIC - ALGERIA

Referee: Wilmar ROLDÁN (COL)

Assistant Referee 1: Eduardo DÍAZ (COL)

Assistant Referee 2: Christian LESCANO (ECU)

Standby Assistant Referee: Hassan KAMRANIFAR (IRN)

GROUP G, Match 30

23 June 2014, 00:00 CET

Arena Amazônia, Manaus

USA - PORTUGAL

Referee: Néstor PITANA (ARG)

Assistant Referee 1: Hernán MAIDANA (ARG)

Assistant Referee 2: Juan Pablo BELATTI (ARG)

Fourth Official: Walter LÓPEZ (GUA)

Standby Assistant Referee: Leonel LEAL (CRC)

Australia - Spain

Referee: Nawaf SHUKRALLA (BHR)

Assistant Referee 1: Yaser TULEFAT (BHR)

Assistant Referee 2: Ebrahim SALEH (BHR)

Netherlands - Chile

Referee: Bakary GASSAMA (GAM)

Assistant Referee 1: Evarist MENKOUANDE (CMR)

Assistant Referee 2: Felicien KABANDA (RWA)

Fourth Official: Joel AGUILAR (SLV)

Cameroon - Brazil

Referee: Jonas ERIKSSON (SWE)

Assistant Referee 1: Mathias KLASENIUS (SWE)

Assistant Referee 2: Daniel WÄRNMARK (SWE)

Fourth Official: Svein Oddvar MOEN (NOR)

Croatia - Mexico

Referee: Ravshan IRMATOV (UZB)

Assistant Referee 1: Abduxamidullo RASULOV (UZB)

Assistant Referee 2:Bakhadyr KOCHKAROV (KGZ)

Fourth official: Néant ALIOUM (CMR)

Things to note:

With these appointments all referee crews have now gotten a match.

The principle of confederation neutrality was abandoned pretty early compare to previous WCs.

another terrible performance by the serbian referee. why was he even given a second game after how terrible he was in his first game?

Not sure he was "terrible" but yea, he wasn't good that's for sure. Could very well have been a PK for Iran (well not at this WC it seems but regular season in the average league it would :D).

I would guess that the reason he got another chance is that he is the up and coming referee in Europe. He has been unexpectedly poor though so I'd be surprised if he gets another one especially as there will be a few more of the referees from the big countries available for late stage matches than usual.

definitely terrible. it was a stonewall penalty that he would have been able to correctly call if he weren't out of position, plus he interfered with play multiple times again. just a dreadful performance in a game where he really didn't have a lot to do.

By the way, assistant referee Humberto Clavijo from Colombia has been replaced by FIFA following those two disallowed goals in Mexico vs Cameroon. Christian Lescano from Ecuador will assist referee Wilmar Roldán instead.

Did this happen before? I always thought that the referee and his assistants were in one team. One makes mistakes, all three are out.

By the way, assistant referee Humberto Clavijo from Colombia has been replaced by FIFA following those two disallowed goals in Mexico vs Cameroon. Christian Lescano from Ecuador will assist referee Wilmar Roldán instead.

Did this happen before? I always thought that the referee and his assistants were in one team. One makes mistakes, all three are out.

Pretty sure this is a first, previously the whole team has suffered and been sent home (or not been selected to begin with as some European referees ahead of this WC).

I imagine the chap who disallowed Dzeko's goal last night won't be seen again this tournament.

No O'Leary will likely be heading home though I doubt the missed offside call will play any big part in that decision, he was poor throughout and that will be his doom.

Tuesday 24th June

Italy v Uruguay

Referee: Marco RODRIGUEZ (MEX)

Assistant Referee 1: Marvin TORRENTERA (MEX)

Assistant Referee 2: Marcos QUINTERO (MEX)

Fourth Official: Mark GEIGER (USA)

Costa Rica v England

Referee: Djamel HAIMOUDI (ALG)

Assistant Referee 1: Redouane ACHIK (MAR)

Assistant Referee 2: Abdelhak ETCHIALI (ALG)

Japan v Colombia

Referee: Pedro PROENCA (POR)

Assistant Referee 1: Bertino MIRANDA (POR)

Assistant Referee 2: Tiago TRIGO (POR)

Fourth Official: Roberto MORENO (PAN)

Greece v Ivory Coast

Referee: Carlos VERA (ECU)

Assistant Referee 1: Christian LESCANO (ECU)

Assistant Referee 2: Byron ROMERO (ECU)

Fourth Official: Sandro RICCI (BRA)

Referees with 1 game so far

Nishimuira (Japan)

O'Leary (New Zealand)

Webb (England)

Gassama (Gambia)

Current 2nd Round Fixtures

Saturday 28th June

Brazil v Chile

Colombia v Uruguay

Sunday 29th June

Netherlands v Mexico

Costa Rica v Greece

Monday 30th June

Group E Winner (France tbc) v Group F Second Place (Nigeria)

Group G Winner v Group H Second Place

Tuesday 1st July

Group F Winner (Argentina) v Group E Second Place (Switzerland or Ecuador tbc)

Group H Winner v Group G Second Place

Will be interesting to see who goes home after these set of games. In the 2010 WC there were 29 trio's of referees and 10 were sent home leaving 19 trio's

At this World Cup there are only 25 trios of officials so I'm not sure how many they will keep/send home.

Based on this site's marks these will be safe

Asia

Irmatov (Uzbekistan)

Shukralla (Bahrain)

Africa

Gassama (Gambia)

North, Central & Caribbean

Geiger (USA)

Aguilar (El Salvador)

South America

Ricci (Brazil)

Pitana (Argentina)

Vera (Ecuador)

Europe

Eriksson (Sweden)

Webb (England)

Proenca (Portugal)

Kuipers (Nederlands)

Cakir (Turkey)

the only questionable call was the matuidi yellow/red, and I can definitely argue that either would have been warranted. he never left his feet and wasn't overly reckless, but simply mistimed the challenge. the injury only made it appear worse.

I thought he got the Matuidi call right, but if he had given a red I would have understood then also (although in real time I wouldn't have ever given red).

Either way, if that was his "worst game" then he's having an overall great tournament because his performance in the France game was as close to a perfect refereeing performance as I've ever seen tbh.

Saturday 5th July

Argentina - Belgium

Referee: Nicola RIZZOLI (ITA)

Assistant Referee 1: Renato FAVERANI (ITA)

Assistant Referee 2: Andrea STEFANI (ITA)

Fourth official: Benjamin WILLIAMS (AUS)

Netherlands - Costa Rica

Referee: Ravshan IRMATOV (UZB)

Assistant Referee 1: Abduxamidullo RASULOV (UZB)

Assistant Referee 2: Bakhadyr KOCHKAROV (KGZ)

Fourth official: Noumandiez DOUE (CIV)

Has a referee ever had two World Cup Finals before? I don't think they have, so Webb was out of the running before the tournament even started I think...

Geiger hasn't had a QF game so presumably will get a SF meaning no F... he'd be my pick as he's the only ref that's not made any major mistakes so far really.

What in the holiest of hells? Today I read that FIFA have praised the ref from yesterday's Brazilian game, and that he is in the running for the final. What actual F***? He was bloody terrible! :lol:

He let the Brazilians do whatever they wanted. No wonder FIFA are satisfied.

Has a referee ever had two World Cup Finals before? I don't think they have, so Webb was out of the running before the tournament even started I think...

Geiger hasn't had a QF game so presumably will get a SF meaning no F... he'd be my pick as he's the only ref that's not made any major mistakes so far really.

Shame for Geiger really, cos there has been a lack of even half decent refs this WC, some of the reffing has been appalling, last night was just a icing on the cake, i thought he forgot his card in the dressing room!

A referee has not had 2 World Cup finals but nations have had referees officiate the final in back to back finals so I don't think Webb will not get the final just because he had the last one.

Nations are different from players though. It's seen as an honour to referee a WC final (understandably so) and they like to spread that honour, rather than give it to the same man repeatedly. I suppose there's arguments that the best should do it, no matter if they've done it before or not, which is the correct way to look at it I think...

but then the best referee isn't Howard Webb anyway so...

Archived