Yuichi Nishimura (Japan)

Nawaf Abdulla Ghayyath (Bahrain)

Benjamin Williams (Australia)

Africa

Noumandiez Doue (Ivory Coast)

Bakary Papa Gassama (Gambia)

Djamel Haimoudi (Algeria)

North, Central America & the Caribbean

Joel Antonio Aguilar Chicas (El Salvador)

Mark Geiger (USA)

Marco Antonio Rodriguez Moreno (Mexico)

South America

Enrique Roberto Osses Zencovich (Chile)

Nestor Fabian Pitana (Argentina)

Wilmar Alexander Roldan Perez (Colombia)

Sandro Meira Ricci (Brazil)

Carlos Alfredo Vera Rodriguez (Ecuador)

Oceania

Peter O'Leary (New Zealand)

Europe

Felix Brych (Germany)

Cuneyt Cakir (Turkey)

Jonas Eriksson (Sweden)

Bjorn Kuipers (Netherlands)

Milorad Mazic (Serbia)

Pedro Proenca (Portugal)

Nicola Rizzoli (Italy)

Carlos Velasco Carballo (Spain)

Howard Webb (England)

I don't think they are using the additional assistants as its just a trio from each nation above, Webb is assisted by his usual duo Darren Cann & Michael Mullarkey

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He's decent outside of England. Not sure what happens to him when he referees a Premiership game :/

No he's not. Dreadful in CL as well, that's the only time I see him. Don't wanna know how bad he is in England if that's decent.

No he's not. Dreadful in CL as well, that's the only time I see him. Don't wanna know how bad he is in England if that's decent.

Atletico v Barcelona & Real Madrid v Bayern, I thought he did very well giving how big those games were and how notorious those sides are for play acting, he handled it very well and didn't make it all about it like some referees do in big games.

Brych did well yes. Hope Kuipers will do a good job in the CL-final, spot on for the WC final if he doesn't make a big mistake in his next three matches. I hope he doesn't, we'll have at least somebody in the final then :D

He's decent outside of England. Not sure what happens to him when he referees a Premiership game :/

What happens if everyone moans when their team doesn't get a decision, same as all the other refs. They're ALL terrible, you see

• Administrators

Webb always seems to do a half-decent job when I've seen him, especially compared to some PL refs (Mike Dean and Phil Dowd spring to mind). What exactly causes this much dislike for him? Is it something specific that's happened against your club/nation, his consistency as a referee or just the way in which he carries himself?

• SI Staff
Webb always seems to do a half-decent job when I've seen him, especially compared to some PL refs (Mike Dean and Phil Dowd spring to mind). What exactly causes this much dislike for him? Is it something specific that's happened against your club/nation, his consistency as a referee or just the way in which he carries himself?

He was obviously atrocious 4 years ago.

I've noticed afterwards, several times, actively... and sometimes passively that he was a dreadful referee in Premiership games.

I remember noticing a few times that the referee was making several obscure decisions - and soon after I'd find out it is Howard Webb.

Cuneyt Cakir (Turkey)

Has been awful domestically this season.

Not seeing stone cold PKs but calling up non-PK situations.

Not giving blatant fouls but calling fouls when there is no contact whatsoever.

He even had one of his decisions overturned on the pitch by a player who admitted the position was a corner kick rather than the goal kick he awarded.

He has been all out of sorts since red carding Nani and getting dropped in UEFAs pecking order of trusted referees. His bravery was what made him a good referee before that incident. It seems like now he's considering if a call will get him criticized or not before blowing the whistle, which has essentially turned him into a terrible referee.

He was obviously atrocious 4 years ago.

I thought he managed the final bloody well, considering all Holland wanted to do was kick several lumps out of Spain. Could have easily sent off 4/5 Holland players but tried his hardest not to. The only decision he got horribly wrong was not sending off De Jong (Think it was him that karate kicked Alonso).

• SI Staff
I thought he managed the final bloody well, considering all Holland wanted to do was kick several lumps out of Spain. Could have easily sent off 4/5 Holland players but tried his hardest not to. The only decision he got horribly wrong was not sending off De Jong (Think it was him that karate kicked Alonso).

He was horrible. Definitely on Spain's side. Should have sent a few Spaniards off as well - and the goal was not correct. Card decisions were shocking. Both for Holland and Spain.

I'll see if I can dig something up if I can still find it.

• SI Staff

Watching the game again

15th minute Van Persie - yellow carded : BAD CALL HOWARD WEBB

17th minute Puyol - yellow carded: Good call Howard Webb

22nd minute Yellow Card: Van Bommel: Correct decision Howard Webb.

23rd minute Yellow Card: Ramos: A bit harsh - so bad call Howard Webb

28th minute: Yellow Card - De Jong. I suppose there wasn't any intent but that shoiuld have been red. Bad call Webb.

39th minute: Generic foul by Van Bommel - not a yellow card - good call Howard Webb

42nd minute: "Collision" between Sneijder and Busquets - should have been a yellow for Sneijder - bad call Howard Webb.

45th+2 minute: Bad offside call. RvP was offside but not active in the game, Kuyt could have controlled the call for an opportunity. Bad Call Howard Webb. Not counting this one as it's a linesman mistake

2nd half:

49th minute: Van Bommel performs a proper shoulderblock in the penalty box - game on - good call Howard Webb.

54th minute: Yellow Card - van Bronckhorst - Wasn't a foul - bad call Howard Webb.

56th minute: Foul Heitinga on Torres - foul yes, yellow card.. harsh. Bad Call Howard Webb.

67th minute: Fould Capdevila on Van Persie - yellow card - correct decision Howard Webb

73rd minute: Heitinga called for a foul on Iniesta stepping on his foot. Iniesta actually stepped on Heitinga - bad call Howard Webb

78th minute: Iniesta foul on van Bommel - Unsporting conduct, where is the yellow card? Bad call howard Webb.

You may argue that there's a foul on Iniesta, who gets 'sandwiched' by two players. In that event - still.. bad call Howard Webb.

for the sake of debate: on the other hand, if it is a red card for Van Bommel - it's again.. a bad decision by Webb.

84th minute: Robben carded for comments. If Robben would have went down, it was a straight red for Puyol. Referee couldn't really judge it though, as he didn't go down - So he wasn't hindered enough. Even though the whinging is logical this card is a correct decision Webb.

Extra time:

2nd minute: Spain claim a penalty. Nothing happened - no foul - good call Howard Webb

noteworthy: no further mistakes or debatable decisions in the remainder of the first half

19th minute: Heitinga 2nd yellow on Iniesta. Harsh decision to book him. Foul yes. Card? Questionable, most referees do give it. However, considering his 1st yellow was absolutely no card - this does not fall well. In any event I don't consider this a 2nd bookable offense and therefore a bad call Howard Webb. If it were his first yellow, I could have lived with it.

21st minute: Blatant dive Iniesta. Never a yellow card for Vd Wiel. Bad decision Webb.

25th minute: Hassling about a freekick where the wall wasn't in the right place. Sneijder takes it - hits a defender. COrner. Not given. Bad call Webb.

26th minute: Iniesta scores. Offside initially... so ref should have called the offside call. Shocking decision. The move where Iniesta scores is not offside. But the 1st moment yes. So ****ed over by Howard Webb allright!

Considering Holland also should have had a corner, this is shocking.

27th minute: Mathijssen carded for complaining, yeah well.. can you imagine?? But still, excessive complaining is a card. Good decision Webb.

30+2: Robben gets fouled, no call from the referee - bad call again.

sidenote: 90th minute: RvP called for offside, he goes on for a couple seconds - Howard Webb doesn't do a thing.

23rd minute extra time: RObben called for offside, goes on... gets told off, no cards... would have been harsh to send someone off for that in the final. Technically a yellow card yes.

I missed whether Iniesta got a yellow card for taking off his shirt, I would assume so?

26th minute: Iniesta scores. Offside initially... so ref should have called the offside call. Shocking decision. The move where Iniesta scores is not offside. But the 1st moment yes. So ****ed over by Howard Webb allright!

Considering Holland also should have had a corner, this is shocking

How? He didn't get the ball, defender should have left it if he wanted Iniesta offside. It's a crap rule as Iniesta is interfering with play in my book, but going by the rules he isn't. Even from looking at that goal, I'd say Iniesta was even onside for that 1st ball, not like Webb can give it since he's looking at Torres and not Iniesta run. Can't help but feel some bitterness which is understandable considering you lost in ET in the biggest game going. (3 finals now).

• SI Staff
How? He didn't get the ball, defender should have left it if he wanted Iniesta offside. It's a crap rule as Iniesta is interfering with play in my book, but going by the rules he isn't. Even from looking at that goal, I'd say Iniesta was even onside for that 1st ball, not like Webb can give it since he's looking at Torres and not Iniesta run. Can't help but feel some bitterness which is understandable considering you lost in ET in the biggest game going. (3 finals now).

Fine, then it's still a corner for Holland. You agree on all the other bad (and also good) decisions then? :D

Fine, then it's still a corner for Holland. You agree on all the other bad (and also good) decisions then? :D

Will have to watch the game again :p All I remember from it was it being a kicking fest, and Webb could have easily sent off so many players throughout the game, but tried his hardest not too, as he would have been lambasted if he had sent off like 4+ people in the game which he could have done.

• SI Staff
Will have to watch the game again :p All I remember from it was it being a kicking fest, and Webb could have easily sent off so many players throughout the game, but tried his hardest not too, as he would have been lambasted if he had sent off like 4+ people in the game which he could have done.

It was a horrible game, that's for sure. I think if Webb had sent one or two players off, they'd have calmed down a bit. So much viciousness going around and just yellows..

A final is not meant to be pretty, but this was taking the mickey by all 3 parties.

You can argue until you're orange in the face Red, the myth has long taken hold. Spain were saintly and the evil Dutch should have had 3 men sent off before the 15th minute. Spains goal stands and is correct because the ref didn't chalk it off. (Unlike for example the England goal that was a meter behind the line. That was a correct goal despite the ref calling it off. People make up their own (in)justice if it suits.)

And that's the same saintly team minus Messi that everybody loves to hate because they kick, but dive and whinge all the time. Except on that day, it would seem...

• SI Staff

The whole world also loves Puyol, Busquets, Xavi, Iniesta (and Pepe, not spanish though) - because they're ALWAYS showing class and good sportsmanship. Never complain to the referee, never commit fouls etc. :D

• SI Staff
You and DJ really view peoples opinions differently don't you. :D

Wait, what? Eveybody on this planet loves those players, Pique is another one? And all the commentary about them being assholes are lies???

Webb might not be the worst referee in history (:D), but he lacks the decision making and natural authority a Collina (or Kuipers now, for that matter) had. He just doesn't make a good impression, every time I see him.

Doesn't that tell you something...

Yes, it tells me that people declare those trends (Barça players being dirty) out of frustration over Barça winning everything for ages, but expose themselves to be lying hipsters when all of a sudden these players are declared angels in another match. People make it up as they go along.

That's why I keep saying that final is more mythical as time goes by. In reality, the dirtiness wasn't nearly as one-sided as the band-wagoners keep repeating.

I think Webb is respected by the players.

I don't like Kuipers. He's a good referee, but he takes advise from DJ: every bodycheck is apparently a foul.

Every bodycheck IS a foul, it's in the rules.

• 2 weeks later...

First Appointments out:

GROUP A, Match 1

12 June 2014, 22:00 CET

Arena Corinthians, São Paulo

BRAZIL - CROATIA

Referee: Yuichi NISHIMURA (JPN)

Assistant Referee 1: Toru SAGARA (JPN)

Assistant Referee 2: Toshiyuki NAGI (JPN)

Fourth Official: Alireza FAGHANI (IRN)

Reserve Assistant: Hassan KAMRANIFAR (IRN)

FIFA Referee Assessor:

GROUP A, Match 2

13 June 2014, 18:00 CET

Estadio das Dunas, Natal

MEXICO - CAMEROON

Referee: Wilmar ROLDÁN (COL)

Assistant Referee 1: Humberto CLAVIJO (COL)

Assistant Referee 2: Eduardo DÍAZ (COL)

Fourth Official: Norbert HAUATA (TAH)

Reserve Assistant: Marwa RANGE (KEN)

FIFA Referee Assessor:

GROUP B, Match 3

13 June 2014, 21:00 CET

Arena Fonte Nova, Salvador

SPAIN - NETHERLANDS

Referee: Nicola RIZZOLI (ITA)

Assistant Referee 1: Renato FAVERANI (ITA)

Assistant Referee 2: Andrea STEFANI (ITA)

Fourth Official: Svein Oddvar MOEN (NOR)

Standby Assistant Referee: Kim Thomas HAGLUND (NOR)

FIFA Referee Assessor:

GROUP B, Match 4

13 June 2014, 00:00 CET

Arena Pantanal, Cuiaba

CHILE - AUSTRALIA

Referee: Noumandiez DOUE (CIV)

Assistant Referee 1: Songuifolo YEO (CIV)

Assistant Referee 2: Jean-Claude BIRUMUSHAHU (BDI)

Fourth Official: Roberto MORENO (PAN)

Standby Assistant Referee: Eric BORIA (USA)

FIFA Referee Assessor:

Brazil 3-1 Croatia

Nishimura: 6

Neymar should have seen red for his elbow on Perišić. He knew exactly what he wanted to do, looking around, swinging his elbow. But I can understand if Nishimura didn't see the intention and regarded it just as a block that was worthy of yellow.

Lovren definitely held Fred's left arm for a moment. You can't see that with the camera angle from the right, but you can from the left. It wasn't enough to bring a striker out of balance, but Fred did benefit from a slight contact. This is international football, just like Champions and Europa Leagues. As a defender, you need more experience because while your physical game may not be unpunished in your own country, it can be fatal on the international stage. (See, e.g., Chiellini with Cristiano Ronaldo in the last Champions League.) From Nishimura's angle, Lovren committed a foul. Penalty.

Olić arrived with his arm and elbow swinging first to Júlio César's neck. Definite foul. Disallowed goal.

I don't get any highlight for the build-up to Oscar's goal. But my first impression is that it was a clean tackle.

----------

Mexico 1-0 Cameroon

Roldán: 6

Dos Santos was very much in line with the Cameroon defenders on his first disallowed goal. But it frequently happens that in that kind of circumstances, the linesman flags.

No idea why Dos Santos was denied the second goal. He was in line, and as per the reason above, the linesman perhaps did the same. But Choupo-Moting headed the ball behind before Dos Santos poached it. I think the linesman flagged too early.

----------

Spain 1-5 Netherlands

Rizzoli: 6

I think Costa was moving toward the ball, and he fell due to De Vrij's leg. Or he looked for a contact to dive. It shouldn't have been a penalty. Rizzoli was close as well.

Van Persie went for the ball, and unlike Olić, he didn't swing his arm to block Casillas. The goal rightfully stood.

----------

Chile 3-1 Australia

Doué: 6.5

Doué had a fairly easy game. Cahill was offside when he scored his disallowed goal.

Doué could have done better in calling fouls, I think. There were occasions where fouls were unpunished.

----------

FIFA will stay away from controversies as far as possible while picking referees from big games. Rizzoli so far is in line to officiate the final.

Slightly less of a good day yesterday.

Drmić's goal wasn't offside because Guagua deflected it. But I can understand it was hard to see for the linesman when Xhaka stepped over. I don't have a reply from a better angle, but from behind above, I think Seferović was offside before he scored the last-second goal. The linesman might have doubt, but in doubt, you let the goal stand. I give Irmatov 6.5.

Ricci frankly stank. Giving fouls and yellows when they aren't, not giving anything for fouls and yellow, especially in the first minutes. Palacios stamped on Pogba and should have been off. Pogba then made intention to kick Palacios's thigh, but he might not have touch it; so, he swung his right leg to bring Palacios down. Violent conduct, red. But I can understand if Ricci didn't see the intention and gave a yellow. The barge in the box afterwards was a correct decision. I give him 6.

Aguilar was fortunate to officiate the worst game in the tournament so far. There might have been small details, but he made a solid performance. I give him 7.5.

Archived