Importance of F.A Cup?

in fm of course why would I put this here if it wasn't in game?

Well such a response is a bit unwarranted. Was a genuine question as you didn't make it clear.

For the record, it depends. If I am a club in need of money then I'd rather get into the top four and rake in the money.

I would say capital cup is pointless, fa cup is great for small teams, cause it can boost their bank balance (thing i noticed only thanks to playing fm)... But if some asian guy approached me pre-season saying that i can choose whether i will win fa cup or qualify to CL, i would take CL...

In game, top 4. The chance to be in the Champions League, go up against the best in Europe, and maybe sign a couple of top players who would otherwise not have joined us.

IRL, probably the FA Cup. The Champions League is of course amazing to be in, but in the 17 years I've been into football, Tottenham have only won 2 league cups. I'd rather have an actual trophy and the memories that go with it than the chance to be beaten emphatically by Real Madrid again.

In game, top 4. The chance to be in the Champions League, go up against the best in Europe, and maybe sign a couple of top players who would otherwise not have joined us.

IRL, probably the FA Cup. The Champions League is of course amazing to be in, but in the 17 years I've been into football, Tottenham have only won 2 league cups. I'd rather have an actual trophy and the memories that go with it than the chance to be beaten emphatically by Real Madrid again.

Don't know how lucky you are!

Cups are all well and good, but when smaller clubs have won the FA Cup lately IRL they haven't fared very well...

Like Portsmouth or Wigan for example.

Two examples don't exactly offer much to back-up what you say.

The fact is that they are the only two examples doesn't come into it, that merely shows that big clubs, (how often have Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool and Manchester United won it in the last twenty years for example), do take it very seriously.

Just to carry on from the OP and what Paul Lambert said. A few years ago there was a bit of a to do about teams playing weakened starting 11's in certain games (relegation threatened teams playing top 4 teams when playing a fellow relegation candidate a few days after). After Paul Lambert's comments about not being bothered about the FA cup and it being more of a hindrance, then losing at home to a team towards the bottom of league one, does anybody think the FA will have a word or think he's threw the game on purpose?

I didnt see the game or anything so I dont know how good or bad Villa played but after his comments it was a knocking bet that they would lose today, and won a few quid myself backing Sheffield United.

No, not in the slightest.

When Holloway came out and said he purposely rested players when Blackpool played Man Utd (and only lost at the death from being 2-0 up I think), the FA had a go saying you must play your best available team at all times and try to win. He argued that he is the manager and will do what is best for his team (and rightly so). Lambert has done exactly the same, and I agree with him, but after his comments, then losing at home to a team near the bottom of league one, I cant see the FA being too happy.

When Holloway came out and said he purposely rested players when Blackpool played Man Utd (and only lost at the death from being 2-0 up I think), the FA had a go saying you must play your best available team at all times and try to win. He argued that he is the manager and will do what is best for his team (and rightly so). Lambert has done exactly the same, and I agree with him, but after his comments, then losing at home to a team near the bottom of league one, I cant see the FA being too happy.

It has nothing to do with the FA who he picks. What are they meant to say to him exactly? "How dare you have a squad to choose from and pick them as you see fit!".

It has nothing to do with the FA who he picks. What are they meant to say to him exactly? "How dare you have a squad to choose from and pick them as you see fit!".

Thats exactly what the FA was trying to say they. And what you said was Holloway's argument. He said "why do they make me name a squad of 25 players if I cant select them as and when he see's fit". Still didn't stop the FA from having a go though. Im sure he was charged aswell.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/blackpool/8127225/Premier-League-to-investigate-Ian-Holloways-weak-Blackpool-team-claim.html

But in the above example, given the FA lambasted Holloway, they better sanction Lambert....

Err yeah, it wasn't the FA, it was the Premier League as it was in a Premier LEeague game, and he was fined. And they have since said that they were wrong to do it and that others who do that, (rest players), won't be subject to fines/slap of wrists.

Also, Villa had a very strong side out today.

If I can win it, I'll definitely go for the kill and sweep up every trophy I can, prize money is miniscule compared to the CL and all but every little helps. If I'm playing as a lower league club I'll try to get through as many rounds as possible as well, the prize money from a good cup run could easily fund the club for a few seasons. If I'm a team who is abit stuck in the middle, ie: not good enough to win it, not bad enough to go out first time of asking then I'll just take it as it comes, I lose I don't care, if I win then great.

To put it simply, it all about financial gains for me. I'll use whoever the hell I want, surely that is the point of a squad?

As a lower league manager the FA Cup is gold. I generally win my league comfortably so I can afford to put a weakened team out for three or four league games to ensure I progress in the FA Cup until I come up against a big gun.

In my first season I got to the 3rd round and drew Liverpool at home. They put out their U18s (plus Suarez) and beat us 4-0. Unfortunately we were at home in our small ground and not on TV but we got a good payday. The (2nd) season we got to the 4th round and drew Chelsea away, this time on TV. Got beat of course but bagged just short of a million quid. Very sweet for a Skrill Premier side and we're set up to challenge in League Two next season, all thanks to the cup.

If there's some Wigan fans here I just want to ask if you're happy with winning the cup, or would you prefer the team to have focused more on PL so maybe they wouldn't have to play in the championship this year..?

FA cup should imo give a spot in CL, but I realize PL would not benefit from only having 3 direct places, but would nice to see winning the FA cup was more rewarding...

When growing my club, an FA cup run is a nice thing to have, I want to get glamour ties against Liverpool, City, Chelsea etc.

Once I start winning the PL and getting into the CL I start playing the youth team because my objective is to win the league and CL. If my youth team is good enough to win the FA cup, bonus.

If there's some Wigan fans here I just want to ask if you're happy with winning the cup, or would you prefer the team to have focused more on PL so maybe they wouldn't have to play in the championship this year..?

FA cup should imo give a spot in CL, but I realize PL would not benefit from only having 3 direct places, but would nice to see winning the FA cup was more rewarding...

FA cup should never give a spot to the CL. Ever.

Imagine someone getting into the CL by beating championship or lower clubs all the way through to the trophy because all the big teams got drawn against each other. How is that any way remotely the right way to do things?

FA cup should never give a spot to the CL. Ever.

Imagine someone getting into the CL by beating championship or lower clubs all the way through to the trophy because all the big teams got drawn against each other. How is that any way remotely the right way to do things?

Well.. To have all the big clubs drawn against each other is a very small percentage, but it would be nice to see big clubs play FA cup with more than youngsters against each other.

It could be a great way for clubs to generate money, by winning and going to CL, and not always have to rely on oil-money... Same for smaller clubs, to be able to compete with bigger clubs.. Just a thought...

Edit: And winning a cup is more deserving than ending up 4th in the PL...!?

Well.. To have all the big clubs drawn against each other is a very small percentage, but it would be nice to see big clubs play FA cup with more than youngsters against each other.

It could be a great way for clubs to generate money, by winning and going to CL, and not always have to rely on oil-money... Same for smaller clubs, to be able to compete with bigger clubs.. Just a thought...

Edit: And winning a cup is more deserving than ending up 4th in the PL...!?

Not if you can get it by playing 6 matches against lower league opposition, no.

In Game:

Vital in the lower leagues.

At Premier League level? It's the one trophy I'll "drop" if I'm doing well in the CL. Otherwise the only trophy I tend to ignore is the League Cup.

IRL:

I always like the FA Cup, I see what Lambert is saying but really, it's a good solid cup. It's nothing like the League Cup. If they had to get rid of a cup, that's the one I'd pick.

The Champions League lost my interest when it started including teams who weren't, y'know, Champions. I'd argue the FA Cup winners have more of a shout for being in the competition than a team that finishes second in the league- at least they won something to qualify.

The Holloway comments (by the PL, not the FA) were ludicrous at the time and are still ludicrous now.

But if the FA do say anything to Lambert about fielding a weakened side, then Big Sam would be next in line.

The Champions League lost my interest when it started including teams who weren't, y'know, Champions. I'd argue the FA Cup winners have more of a shout for being in the competition than a team that finishes second in the league- at least they won something to qualify.

The Holloway comments (by the PL, not the FA) were ludicrous at the time and are still ludicrous now.

But if the FA do say anything to Lambert about fielding a weakened side, then Big Sam would be next in line.

You win 6 games in a row (if a PL team) probably against mostly lower league opposition.

If that counts as enough to be in the CL so be it.

I don't like the idea of 2nd 3rd and 4th being in the CL either, but It's better than getting in if you win the FA cup.

of course, but my FA cup is Bizzare starting at 3rd round

Middlesborough (A) won on replay (went a bit TOO weak)

Southampton (A) won on replay

MK Dons (H) 5-0 win

Wolves

why these teams still in the FA cup so far in.

oh and City lost to Wigan again :D

perhaps the FA can pull up Moyes for his farce as well.

I do favour the FA cup on a lower league save as they make good funds (got Bury to 5th round replay on FM13, which stopped them going into debt) or a way into Europe although league cup is easier, you can Lose the FA cup final and get in.

but i play to win torphies, so I love winning the FA cup (and the league cup especially when i get rivals)

I have a large squad so I always try to have a good cup run to give more game time for my wonderkids.

If I get a hard draw I will put a number of senior players in as I always pick a team I think can win the game, whatever the competition.

At the end of his career a manager is judged on how many trophies he won, not how many times he qualified for Europe.

Chelsea won 4 of the last 7 FA Cups. Clearly it's important to them.

In game though I'd try to maintain a strong enough 'second team' for cup games, capable of winning against most teams at least. They will serve as backup for my regular first team that plays in the league.

And winning a cup is more deserving than ending up 4th in the PL...!?

Um, no. It is much tougher to get enough points over 38 games to place 4th in the PL than to win six games against random opponents. Sure the quality usually goes up every round, and to win it you've probably beaten two or three PL clubs, but most teams in the PL could go on a run once a season where they win three in a row, even against "big" clubs. Also, to place 4th or higher in the PL shows that you have a quality squad that's deep enough to compete at the highest level in a long season. One club could theoretically throw all of their effort at a cup run to try and get lucky and do poorly in the league - e.g. Wigan. If they got a spot in the CL for that, there is no guarantee that they would have a squad good/big enough for the CL - how do you think Wigan would have fared in the CL this season? The current system is just fine the way that it is.

Archived