Would it be normal to get horrible youth candidates with extensive youth setup?

New kids arrived and the best of them has 1.5 stars potential, 15 others have 0.5 stars. Just wonder if anyone had such poor intake in fm13? I understand you can't get Zidanes every year but even with good youth setup I used to get a couple of 2-3 potential star players.

The potential stars only show what your staff think of the players.

If you have staff with a low Judging player ability and high judging player potential then you will see an offset in the potential stars.

And this is only a comparison to your current squad.

If you have a low JPP and a high JPA then you'd see a higher rating in the ability and lower offset in the potential.

hmf i just had a youngster come through my academy who looks pretty decent, 16yo striker with 18 finishing and 18 for penalties. Other stats need improving, but given his age i hope they soon will. Played him in 2 cup matches and he scored twice, so really i can't complain about my youth facilities i suppose. For the record; i'm not managing barcelona or anything, but Genk in the belgian pro league.. so i imagine bigger clubs would also be able to produce decent youngsters. Takes a bit of luck i suppose

as stated above though, the star ratings are only estimates of your staff.. they could well be off. Take a look at your youngsters stats & decide for yourself i'd say

My game crashed upon getting my youth players and I lost a 4.5 star rated player. It was then I realised that if you save just before you can reload until you're happy with your intake. Some would class this as cheating, but it would be interesting to see if you did this how much they vary.

Since my game crashed I didn't see it as cheating to get my 4.5 star player back, the range went from 3 stars to 4.5 stars so it's pretty random. You might get better next year...

The potential stars only show what your staff think of the players.

If you have staff with a low Judging player ability and high judging player potential then you will see an offset in the potential stars.

And this is only a comparison to your current squad.

If you have a low JPP and a high JPA then you'd see a higher rating in the ability and lower offset in the potential.

as stated above though, the star ratings are only estimates of your staff.. they could well be off. Take a look at your youngsters stats & decide for yourself i'd say

I know how this stuff works in FM and neither my staff nor my other players are relevant here. I wonder why I suddenly got 16 extremely poor players with the best possible youth facilities and intake and could it be a bug.

I know how this stuff works in FM and neither my staff nor my other players are relevant here. I wonder why I suddenly got 16 extremely poor players with the best possible youth facilities and intake and could it be a bug.

not every year you'll produce top-notch players, even with a great youth facility.

is it your first season? Or have you been picking up garbage youngsters for some time?

if it's just once i'd suggest hoping for better ones next season :)

I think if you look at some of the top clubs such as United, Liverpool (ahem), Chelsea, Arsenal.... how often do they get a truly great player through their youth system that they haven't poached from the continent or a lesser English side? United for example had great success with home grown players in the early 90's, Neville brothers, Giggs, Beckham, Butt, Scholes..... but since then? I'd struggle to think of many in the last 10/15 years that have made the grade.

I have a West Ham save. In season one I got a 16 year old LB with 4 1/2 potential and in season two I got a 16 year old keeper with 5 star potential.

Thats the first time I've ever had great regens in a West Ham save so early. I think it's all random luck.

It is a bit annoying though, when you get one good regen and the rest are absolute rubbish. It would be nice if we got 3 or 4 players with 3 star-ish potential each year. At least then we could have a bash at developing them a little, even if it's just to sell them on.

If you play enough seasons it'll even out, some years you'll get crap and other years you'll get multiple potential first team players. You can't get stars every year, it'd flood the game with them.

It is a bit annoying though, when you get one good regen and the rest are absolute rubbish. It would be nice if we got 3 or 4 players with 3 star-ish potential each year. At least then we could have a bash at developing them a little, even if it's just to sell them on.

The problem with that theory is that all the other teams would be getting a steady supply of 3 star regens too so you'd have nobody to sell them to.

Not always you'll recive great prospects. When that happens I sometimes go and check national teams and look for a free agent prospect, but of course, you'll not find lots of 3 1/2, 4, 5 star prospect, unless you are in a mid/small team where the chances are higher

New kids arrived and the best of them has 1.5 stars potential, 15 others have 0.5 stars. Just wonder if anyone had such poor intake in fm13? I understand you can't get Zidanes every year but even with good youth setup I used to get a couple of 2-3 potential star players.

I'm in 2019 and I have just won the Premiership for the third year in a row and three of my first teamers are Regens and I have two on the bench.

This one -

10cqczn.png

Arrived in my first years intake at Southampton. Now whilst he isn't quite Messi stadard, I reckon he's got to have had around 180 ish PA.

In the following years I have centre back, a GK and a striker all listed as 4 and half star potential, not bad from 7 youth intakes. This current year the best I got was a couple of 3 star potential players but like you said you can't produce a world class player every year as that would be silly but you certainly get decent players if your facilities are good.

What is the date for when they come in?

I remember the old days when it was 25th of June (the massive process day!) That is when I use to send all my scouts on missions looking for European players u18. Hoping to find a gem!

What is the date for when they come in?

I remember the old days when it was 25th of June (the massive process day!) That is when I use to send all my scouts on missions looking for European players u18. Hoping to find a gem!

Moved to March now http://www.aidtheboss.com/football-manager-2013-regen-dates/

As mentioned before its completely random. Your youth network just increases the chances of better PA newgens, while your facilities decides on their starting CA.

If you were to save before the 7th/8th March and continually reload you should see the results even out over 20-30 tries. You may get 3 terrible batches in a row, then 4 amazing ones. It's basically like rolling a dice, just hope for the best.

I think if you look at some of the top clubs such as United, Liverpool (ahem), Chelsea, Arsenal.... how often do they get a truly great player through their youth system that they haven't poached from the continent or a lesser English side? United for example had great success with home grown players in the early 90's, Neville brothers, Giggs, Beckham, Butt, Scholes..... but since then? I'd struggle to think of many in the last 10/15 years that have made the grade.

This isn't the point. A 4.5 star rated youth player isn't a superstar. It's a player with the potential to be. I think those clubs get lot's of players with 4.5 star rated talent, but through lack of opportunity or lack of character from the individual they don't go to the next level.

Liverpool with their problems are bringing talented players through because of necessity and you see the talent there. In most situations these players wouldn't get the opportunity, and someone like Sterling who should become a very good player, might have been a nobody who didn't get a chance. It's not because Sterling is so much more talented than any of the best youngsters at City or United or Chelsea, simply he's the one that's been given the chance.

If anything there should be more high star players in the game, but just make many fail to ever reach their PA through lack of opportunity at the highest level, or just through other factors, injury, or lack of determination.

Archived