2012 Season in Review

510004580.png

EC Santo André - Campeonato Brasileiro Série B

& Campeonato Paulista Série A1

League Title Runner Up - Campeonato Paulista Série A1

4th Place - Promoted to Campeonato Brasileiro

The Leagues

Campeonato Paulista Série A1

Standings | Past Positions | Fixtures - Our run in the Paulistão was amazing this year and a complete turn around from my first year here. We had a great record, only losing 3 matches in the regular season, putting us in serious contention for the playoffs.

Campeonato Brasileiro Série B

Standings | Past Positions | Fixtures - Well, that final match was not to be. They won 1-0. Now, normally you would think that if I scored 2 goals, I would win. Well, I scored 4 goals, all not allowed. Moral of the story, if you go down by 1 goal, make sure that you go out and score 5.

This was a season of highs and lows. Our fans must have been hyperventilating given the congestion of the table throughout the entire season. However, we were able to hold onto that final promotion spot and earn a position in the Brasileirão for next season. We are in the top flight of Brazilian football!

The Playoffs

Paulistão Quarter Final

EC Santo André 2 - 1 Guarani FC

Our first match was a lenient one against another Série B side. We had problems against Guarani during the season, but we pulled through and won. Guarani were only able to grab a consolation goal in the 90th minute.

I figured the match against Corinthians would be the end of a good run for us. However, we held our own throughout the first half, matching them on the pitch and controlling a good portion of the play. A goal in the 72nd minute saw us into the final against our parent club, São Paulo.

Paulistão Final Leg 1

EC Santo André 1 - 0 São Paulo FC

Now, I figured we were done, but nope! Again, we matched up against a higher level opposition and came out ahead. It helped that this was against a home crowd who spurred us on.

Paulistão Final Leg 2

São Paulo FC 4 - 2 EC Santo André

São Paulo win on aggregate 4-3

Alas, it wasn't meant to be. São Paulo must have been angry after the first match and came out absolutely dominating. It was a 4-0 lead until we mounted a push back in the last half, clawing back 2 goals. However, there was no room for a third, which would have seen us win. Still runners up in the Paulistão was an amazing finish for our club and should have helped push us into Série B.

The Cups

Copa Kia do Brasil - We made the 2nd Round, which is what our Board wanted; however, playing against Série A club, Bahia, was just too much.

The Stats

Goals Scored - 45 (+ 21 from last season; 1st in league)

Goals Conceded - 24 (- 3 from last season; 14th in league)

Average Attendance - 4 598 (+ 2 576 from last season; 14th in league)

Goals Scored - 72 (1st in league)

Goals Conceded - 49 (17th in league)

Average Attendance - 4 220 (+ 959 from last season; 14th in league)

The Players

Squad | Transfers - Quite a bit of movement, both in and out of the club. However, there is a real priority in defense and possibly, a new goalkeeper. Our goals against in Série B was unacceptable.

Marcos Pimentel - D/WB R - Pimentel was brought in to help the defense in the summer. He was a solid presence and helped a defensive line in need.

Iliasu Shilia - D C - Our top defensive player and a strong presence in corners. He also embodies what I like in a player, a determined personality.

Carlos André - ST - André was a back up striker who won a starting position by continually coming up big when it was needed. His skills continue to improve under the mentorship or others as well. He ends up our top goalscorer of the year in all competitions.

The Backroom

Finances - Still losing money. I hope top flight Brazilian football will help.

Facilities - Still the same. The pitch is listed as Ok, so I'm hoping it can last another season.

The Awards

The Goals Revisited

• Achieve a mid-table finish - Achieved! And a promotion too!
  • Improve finances - Failed.

Plans for Next Season

Looks like life in the Brasileirão for me :) I haven't been really attached to any other jobs yet. There was minor speculation connecting me to Vancouver when Martin Rennie was fired, but I wasn't the favourite. Interesting that Vancouver was the first job I was attached to. In this career, my favourite club is actually mentioned as Tottenham!

Anyway, I'm looking forward to the fight of Série A. It should be one of survival, I expect. However, so long as I can fix us my defensive problems, I think survival is possible.

Well done on promotion! Still is crazily tight for top spot, hopefully you can win the title!

I tried. They succeeded. :(

Well done on promotion. That table is crazier than my battle for top spot in my save. :D

It is a crazy one! Cheers, rancer :)

Congrats on the promotion, next season will be very tough!

Thanks, JackJCFC. I expect next year to be a fight on the bottom part of the table, not the top.

3 December 2012

Estad%C3%A3o.gif

Cerud Wanted in Greece

Newly promoted Santo André was expecting to field interest for their manager, just not this soon. Only one day after winning promotion to the top of Brazilian football, Canadian manager Cerud has been heavily linked with the opening with AEK Athens. While no offer has been made yet, the consecutive promotions is likely to begin the investigation by a few clubs into the likelihood of grabbing the talented manager.

Cerud has made no comment as of yet. He is likely hung over do to festivities lasting last into the night. Search parties have been organized.

aekv.png

That would be a cracking job to get :thup:.
Big congrats on getting promoted,not you can breathe more easily :D The Greek job would be a good one to get if they offer it you.
AEK is quite a big club, would be good if they offered you the job
That would be good.

Thanks, all. I ended last night when I saw the news report as I wanted to think about whether or not to pursue it. I agree that the move would be good, plus it's a huge career move. Just not sure if I want to jeopardize my relationship in Snato Andre if I don't get it.

We'll see.

Congrats on promotion! I agree with SLR88, that would be cracking job to get at this stage - tough decision ahead

Thanks, Akkarin. It was never offered so didn't need to worry about it :)

Congrats on promotion!

Thanks, cswalk08!

2012 Global Review

bs201206062041533_0.jpg

Domestic Clubs

Brazilian Campeonato Brasileiro

2012 - 1st Palmeiras, 2nd São Paulo, 3rd Atlético Paranaense, Relegated Portuguesa, Santos, Ponte Preta, Goiás

2011 - 1st São Paulo, 2nd Flamengo, 3rd Santos, Relegated Vasco, Aval, Ceará, América (MG)

Barclays Premier League

2011-2012 - 1st Man City, 2nd Man Utd, 3rd Arsenal, Relegated Aston Villa, Everton, Wigan

Serie A TIM

2011-2012 - 1st Inter, 2nd Napoli, 3rd AC Milan, Relegated Parma, Catania, Cesena

Liga BBVA

2011-2012 - 1st Real Madrid, 2nd Barcelona, 3rd Athletic, Relegated Rayo, Mallorca, Betis

1. Bundesliga

2011-2012 - 1st Wolfsburg, 2nd Stuttgart, 3rd Bayern Leverkusen, Relegated Augsburg, Hoffenheim

Ligue 1 Orange

2011-2012 - 1st Lyon, 2nd Lille, 3rd Marseille, Relegated Sochaux, Brest, Montpellier

American/Canadian Major League Soccer

2012 - Winners FC Dallas, Runners Up Toronto FC

2011 - Winners Seattle, Runners Up New York

Domestic Cups

Carling Cup

2011-2012 - Winners Tottenham, Runner Up Liverpool

The FA Cup with Budweiser

2011-2012 - Winners Fulham, Runner Up Arsenal

TIM Cup

2011-2012 - Winners AC Milan, Runner Up Roma

Copa del Ray

2011-2012 - Winners Real Sociedad, Runner Up Osasuna

DFB-Pokal

2011-2012 - Winners Stuttgart, Runner Up Cottbus

Coupe de la Ligue

2011-2012 - Winners Toulouse, Runner Up Nice

Nutrlite Canadian Championship

2012 - Winners Toronto FC, Runners Up Montreal Impact

2011 - Winners FC Edmonton, Runners Up Montreal Impact

Lamar Hunt US Open Cup

2012 - Winners Los Angeles, Runners Up Chivas USA

2011 - Winners FC Dallas, Runners Up Atlanta Silverbacks

Continental Cups

Domestic UEFA Champions League

2011-2012 - Winners Real Madrid, Runners Up FC Bayern

UEFA Europa League

2011-2012 - Winners Sporting CP, Runners Up Dortmund

Copa Santander Libertadores

2012 - Winners Boca, Runners Up São Paulo

Copa Bridgestone Sudamericana

2012 - Winners Godoy Cruz, Runners Up Corinthians

2011 - Winners Vélez, Runners Up Flamengo

CONCACAF Champions League

2011-2012 - Winners Monterrey, Runners Up Los Angeles

Domestic International Cups

FIFA Club World Cup

2012 - Winners Real Madrid, Runners Up Monterrey

2011 - Winners Barcelona, Runners Up Santos

National Competitions

African Cup of Nations

2012 - Winners Morocco, Runners Up Tunisia

UEFA European Championship

2012 - Winners Italy, Runners Up France

OFC Nations Cup

2012 - Winners Samoa, Runners Up New Zealand

Very interesting to see Santos relegated. Guess I won't have to deal with them next season in the Brasileirão :)

Two fantastic seasons so far :thup: shocked to see Santos relegated!

Only a matter of time before you're linked with even bigger jobs than AEK if you continue like this, best of luck! :)

Two fantastic seasons so far :thup: shocked to see Santos relegated!

Only a matter of time before you're linked with even bigger jobs than AEK if you continue like this, best of luck! :)

Thanks, DBurns. Yeah, I was surprized to see that too! Looks like I'll be with Santo Andre for at least a little while yet. But never know what the future brings.

2013 Pre-Season

510004580.png

EC Santo André - Campeonato Brasileiro

The Stats

Campeonato Brasileiro: Stay clear of relegation

Campeonato Paulista Série A1: Reach the Quarter Final of the Playoffs

Media Prediction: 19th of 20

Betfair Promotion Odds - Campeonato Brasileiro: 2000-1

Betfair Title Odds - Campeonato Paulista Série A1: 3-1

Wage Budget: $5 432 794 (+ $1 834 560 from last season)

Currently Spending: $4 300 608 ($1 132 186 cap space available)

Transfer Budget: $181 090 (+ $171 437 from last season)

Main Kit Sponsorship: $669 000 (expires 2104)

General Sponsorship: $3 269 000 (expired 2014) (+ $1 758 050 from last deal)

General Sponsorship: $2 179 987 (expires 2015) (+ $1 179 987 from last deal)

Brasileirão TV Rights: $10.66M

Paulistão TV Rights: $1.06M

Club Membership Fees: $401K

Average Ticket Price: $13.10

Estimated Value: $8.5M

Current Loan: $100K

National Club Ranking in Brazil: 21st

Goals

• Make the semi finals of the Paulistão.
  • Survive our first season in the Brasileirão.
  • Make a profit.

I'm now listed as a club icon. That was fast! The increased money from the TV deals and sponsorship has helped us, but we still need to bring in players to help with the defense. Most of the squad from last year is back, so at least we should be decent enough cover. A few quality players in key areas are our priority.

Great work getting promoted and good luck next season in the top flight. Hopefully this can help you get better jobs in the future. :)
Good luck in a tough season.
Congrats on promotion and another fine performance in the state championship :thup:

Thanks guys. Still working on the squad for the upcoming state season. Tough to find players that don't want tons of cash now that I'm a Serie A club ;)

Let the race for survival begin. I imagine you have the smallest budget in the league?

It won't let me check until that league begins in the summer, but I would expect that I easily have the smallest budget :)

It's always really nice when the club acknowledge you on the favoured personnel info! Big season ahead for you, you got any plans to move on any time soon?

Cheers, PaulHartman! I was surprized to make icon so quickly. I've made favoured personnel easy enough, but not icon...and that's even in careers with many trophies and success. I guess Santo Andre is more lenient ;)

I've had Icon a few times but only Legend for the first time at Milan, some clubs you can win loads and get nothing, so it's inconsistent (or at least was) so it's great seeing each rank you get.

2013 End of Pre-Season

510004580.png

The Matches

Brazil - Brasileirão - São Paulo FC - won 5-0

Brazil - Brasileirão Série B - Boa EC - Won 6-0

The Players

Squad | Transfers - Not too much movement this year as I don't really have the budget. I made sure to sign my main players to longer contracts, which ate up some of the budget. In all, 3 loan signings and 1 free transfers.

Jardel - D C - Jardel joins us from Portugal's Benfica. He's a Brazilian centreback, so no worries on foreign players. This is the position is was most in need of. I hope that he is able to help add some defensive stability. I also like that he's 26 years old and not a young loan signing. Should help as he has the age not to get overwhelmed.

Souza - M/AM RC - Our lone signing in the free market, Souza is a Brasileirão mainstay. He comes to us on a one year contract to help the midfield.

Pre-Season Thoughts

I'm hoping the keeping the bulk of the squad together helps with cohesion. Also, I don't have the budget to really go playing in the market for new players. The Paulistão is up first and my Board wants a good playoff showing. I believe that should be easily possible, especially given that we were in the finals last year.

I'm very surprized at how well we handled São Paulo in the pre-season! A premonition of things to come, or just a one-off?

I've had Icon a few times but only Legend for the first time at Milan, some clubs you can win loads and get nothing, so it's inconsistent (or at least was) so it's great seeing each rank you get.

True, I don't mind that I've never had icon or legend before. They should be hard to get and I usually bounce around, not staying at clubs too long :)

20 January 2013

fourfourtwologo.gif

Costa Rica National Team Want Cerud

After a 3rd place showing in the Copa Centroamericana, Jorge Luis Pinto has been fired as manager of the Costa Rican national team. However, it would seem as though they have a replacement in mind already. Current Santo André manager Cerud has been offered the national job. With no competitions in sight for the next while, Cerud would have ample time to prepare the squad for the next competition.

This would mark Cerud's first foray into managing a country's football squad. A decision as, as of yet, not been announced.

costax.png

Thoughts? I could manage both Santo André and Costa Rica. Not sure yet; this one came completely out of the blue.

Nice win against Sao Paulo!!

Cheers, cswalk08 :)

National jobs are always nice for building reputation - and could be fun to try take Costa Rica to the 2014 world cup.... Imagine the number of matches in Brazil takes quite a lot of focus though

I'm thinking the same thing too. :)

20 January 2013

lancenet.jpg

Cerud Steps in to Right Costa Rican National Team

With the disappointment of missing out on the final qualification round of the FIFA World Cup as well as failing to win the Copa Centroamericana, Costa Rica has fired Jorge Luis Pinto from his managerial position. Canadian manager Cerud has accepted the position in an effort to construct a squad that will be able to maneuvre through the next round of competitions.

"Costa Rica has a proud footballing tradition. [Former manager] Pinto has left behind a well managed squad, yet one that is hungry for success on the international stage. I know that most of you are aware that this is my first position managing a national side and there have been questions as to whether or not a manager can do a domestic and national job simultaneously. All I have to say is...watch me."

At that, Cerud walked away from the podium.

rical.png

Federacion_Costarricense_de_Futbol-logo-B80B63A42A-seeklogo.com.gif

Costa Rica National Football Team - Costa Rican Football Federation

I wasn't expecting to get a national job offer, but here we are. There's not much on the horizon in terms of competitions, so it looks like we'll have a few friendlies to play so that I can learn the squad and see what they have to offer.

The Stats

FIFA World Cup CONCACAF Qualifiers: Already eliminated

Copa Centroamericana: Already eliminated

Capital City:San José

National Population: 4.61M

Rival Nations: Mexico, Honduras, Panama, Nicaragua

Agreements: None

FIFA World Ranking: 81st

National Stadium: Estadio Nacional de Costa Rica

Stadium Capacity: 35 100

Here's the Estadio Nacional de Costa Rica.

o_real_madrid_fondos-2540494.jpg

Top Players

Bryan Ruíz - M L, AM RL - Plays for Fulham in the English Premiership.

Joel Campbell - ST - Plays for AC Milan in Italy's Serie A TIM.

Carlos Hernández - M/AM C - A domestic player in Costa Rica's Liga Tica. Plays for Liga Deportiva Alajuelense.

Winston Parks - ST - Plays for sc Heerenveen in the Netherlands' Eredivsie.

Ariel Soto - SW, D LC - Plays in Saudi Arabia's Professional League for Al-Hilal (KSA).

Álvaro Saborío - ST - Plays for Real Salt Lake in the MLS.

23 January 2013

logo_gold_cup2011.jpg

CONCACAF Gold Cup 2013

The draw for the CONCACAF Gold Cup coming up this summer has arrived. We stand a good chance of going through past the group stages.

Group A: Canada, Honduras, Mexico, Panama

Group B: Barbados, Costa Rica, El Salvador, Trinidad & Tobago

Group C: Cuba, Guatemala, Jamaica, United States

Board Expectations

The Federation has stated their expectations.

CONCACAF Gold Cup: Reach the Semi Final of the Cup.

What a fantastic-looking stadium!
I agree. Looks really great. Running track only downside.

Good luck with Costa Rica. :thup:

Thanks, Mike7077 and Welsh Wizard. The stadium is good. Not too worried about the running track ;)

Good luck with Costa Rica, should be a good challenge :thup:

Cheers, Scarman. I'm looking forward to it.

January 2013 Update

510004580.png

Couldn't have started any better. We were playing against lower level clubs though and I would have hoped for a better showing. Our strikers are not playing well and our goals are having to come for alternate sources. Will need to fix that.

fixld.png

The Standings

standm.png

Tied with our partent club, but we also face them next. São Paulo was surprizingly easy in the friendly match we just recently played against them, but I think they will be back to form now. Still, getting a win against such opposition easy will certainly help the squad and hopefully get our own strikers working again. This league is only 19 matches, so every one counts.

Great start hopefully the STs pick it up and show Sao Paulo how good they are.

Always nice to show the parent who is in charge ;)

No Celso Borges in the best Costa Rica players? seem to remember he comes good... Excellent start to the Paulista! Only one goal conceded in three matches....

Cheers, Akkarin. I'll have to look him up!

Great start to the season, and Gold cup group looks comfortable.

Thanks, deltablue. I think I got lucky in the Gold CUp group stages too.

Good luck with Costa Rica, should be interesting. Great start to the league too, looks like you'll be fine in that division.
Good start to the Paulista,best of luck with Costa Rica.

Thanks, JackJCFC and BWG.

February 2013 Update

510004580.png

Well, we weren't able to handle São Paulo, but the rest of our matches were great. It is very apparent to me that São Paulo is still heads above all of the competition. I'm not sure how this may foretell the Brasileirão, when we have to face clubs all of the level of São Paulo, but one league at a time.

fixf.png

Copa Kia do Brasil

The domestic cup saw us up against lower level club Londrina. Easily handled.

cupm.png

The Standings

standd.png

Looks like three clubs are beginning to pull away from the pack slightly. Just so happens, we're one of them. I'm happy with our record and goal against. Remember, 4 of our 7 goals were against São Paulo, so only 3 were in the other 7 matches. I can handle that. The main goal is just to qualify for the Playoffs. We're at the halfway point right now in the league, so I'm liking our odds.

Archived