The Rise of the Cerud

cerud

Doing great so far. Def is keeping tight and the goals are coming. Playoffs look certain.

Cheers, Welsh Wizard! Nice to see a new poster.

Good start to the league, bar the Sao Paulo game.

Keep it going! :thup:

Very strong in the league. I think the Sao Paolo result shows the difference between the top teams and you but your still managing to stay up there.

Yeah, Sao Paulo is still one of the best in the nation. They'll be hard to take down.

Going along very nicely so far.

Good job getting the Costa Rica job as well.

Thanks, SRL88 :) Completely out the blue. But 2 friendlies so far and both went great.

Excellent, though Sao Paulo are still too tough.

They are indeed.

• Replies 865
  • Created
  • Last Reply

March 2013 Update

510004580.png

EC Santo André - Campeonato Brasileiro

& Campeonato Paulista Série A1

Campeonato Paulista Série A1

One odd month. Here's a few things I learned this month.

• Your goalkeeper can make a save from a ball shot from over half the pitch, then drop it and stand there while a player from the opposing runs half the pitch to take it and score. The goalkeeper will not do anything.
  • It is possible to win a match and never have a shot.
  • A single player can score 6 goals in a match by himself and have them all counted offside.
  • Santos is mean.

Yeah...interesting month. The Santos match was especially painful as they weren't good; we just sucked. And not in a bad way...more in a way that make you want to curl up in a corner and cry over the collective sadness of your squad. I ended up fining my captain a weeks wages over that match for a mistake leading to a goal and then giving away a penalty shot. His end rating... 3.4.

Other than that, the month went fairly good. We're getting results, albiet winning in odd ways (how to you win a match without even a single shot?!?!). But hey, I'll take it.

fixsu.png

Copa Kia do Brasil

We were up against our old foe, Fortaleza in the 2nd Round. It was a closer affair than I would have hoped. The first match was saved by a corner in the 93rd minute. We took it back home for the second match and were able to hang on for the win.

copav.png

The Standings

standjv.png

Still in 3rd place, but we have qualified for the playoffs as well. There are only 2 matches left in the regular season, so most places are already decided. Still not happy with the amount of goals that we're giving away, but rather than them being spread out, we onyl give them away in blow outs. I guess that means, most days, we're alright. I can life with that...for now.

I havent got a clue how this Brazilian league works. I see qualified and if I see champions at the end of it I say well done :D.

Please explain.

I havent got a clue how this Brazilian league works. I see qualified and if I see champions at the end of it I say well done :D.

Please explain.

I don't have a clue how it works either, but it seems like Cerud is doing well :D
Great work to finish ahead of the likes of Santos and Corinthians.

Alright, I'll try and explain the Brazilian league and pyramid system :)

Any club, year to year, is in two leagues, a national league and a state league.

First, the state leagues. Brazil has 27 states, each with their own league. Clubs within that state compete for the state Championship, in our case, the Paulistão. You can be relegated from this league (although FM doesn't have lower state leagues). This occurs in the first half of the year, beginning in January and going to about May-June.

Now, each state league sets themselves up differently. Some has opening/closing stages, some use a playoff system, some don't. It all depends on which state you're in. In addition, in each state will be clubs from all national levels meaning that you will be playing in a state league with clubs in the lower leagues and clubs in the .

Second, the national leagues. These are the league that everyone knows about, with the Brasileirão at the top followed by Série B, Série C, Série D, and the lower leagues. When comparing Brazilian leagues to other worldwide, this league system is what is used.

Hope that helps. :)

Well done on achieving promotion to the Brasileirão. Great start to the State Championship too, so it's looking good for another successful season :thup:
Very good Paulistao so far.

Thanks, AK22 and TheGreatTraveler :)

Well done in what's probably the toughest state.

Cheers, deltableu. Yeah, only Sao Paulo, Santos, Portuguesa, Palmeiras.... ;)

April 2013 Update

510004580.png

Campeonato Paulista Série A1

The Quarter Finals saw us drawn against Santos. They had hit us hard during the regular season, so to get a dominant win as we did was very satisfying. Unfortunately, our next match was against Palmeiras. We had just played them in our final match of the season and lost. So to face them against was always going to be difficult. We made a game of it and didn't let up, but they were simply too strong.

fixw.png

Copa Kia do Brasil

This was a disappointing win. It should have been by a much higher score.

copaz.png

The Standings

standb.png

We finished the regular season in 3rd place, but it's still the higher clubs, the Brasileirão that we have troube against. I'm not sure what to really expect in this new upcoming national league. I expect it will be a fight for survival.

In other news, we just had our junior coaching upgraded to "Good". Hopefully, our youth prospects continue to be as good as they have been!

May 2013 Update

510004580.png

Campeonato Brasileiro

The beginning of a new league. It's been a lot more difficult; we're giving away leads, which is always annoying. The one thing I need is a new goalkeeper. Mine has dropped to on 2.5 stars and doesn't look like he's about to improve. It's odd...his abilities seem as though he should be alright, but then he goes out and does the most stupid things I can think of. Brilliant at times, yes, but that one bad move always ends up costing up.

fixp.png

Copa Kia do Brasil

Our disappointing win last month against Rio Branco was made up for in a dominant showing at home. It brought us to Brasileirão side, Atlético Mineiro. THis was a hard fought two matches, which we were able to finally hang onto a win. I hope this helps us in change our league play now.

copad.png

The Standings

standlv.png

Sitting currently in the middle of the pack. It's odd not to see Santos here as they were relegated last year. And now, Corinthians has had a horrible start to the new campaign. If we cn maintain out current level, I'm hoping our budgets will increase from new year and we can make a decent push. Right now, we are making money, but it's not much.

Great finish in the Paulista. Palmeiras just too strong. Great result vs Santos even with them being relegated. Do they still have there best players(Ganso, Neymar) or have they gone to euro?

Decent start in Campeonato Brasileiro and a good draw vs Flamengo. Well done on getting to the semis of Copa Kia do Brasil. Looking good for a mid table finish early on.

Money in Brazil is not that good unless you have got you own TV deal like Santos.

A good showing in the Paulistao, and a decent start in the big league. The 2-1 losses would appear to be competitive at least, so no bad results yet. To me that suggests that if form holds up and injuries stay away, you should be able to gather enough points to survive - surely the first aim is survival - and if you get a run on at some stage maybe push up the table a bit.

Making the semi-finals of the Copa Kia do Brasil is no small matter either. All good stuff.

And thanks for your explanation of the Brasil system earlier on, I was among the confused who now thinks they understand enough to get by.

Good campaign in the state league, unlucky against Palmeiras but I guess they were just too strong. Decent start to the league as well, hopefully you can maintain a mid table position!
Great finish in the Paulista. Palmeiras just too strong. Great result vs Santos even with them being relegated. Do they still have there best players(Ganso, Neymar) or have they gone to euro?

Decent start in Campeonato Brasileiro and a good draw vs Flamengo. Well done on getting to the semis of Copa Kia do Brasil. Looking good for a mid table finish early on.

Money in Brazil is not that good unless you have got you own TV deal like Santos.

Thanks, Scarman and Welsh Wizard. Palmeiras is just a strong team; you can see if in their play. As for Santos, both Ganso and Neymar as still on the squad, but Neymar is unhappy.

Did well in the Paulista,Palmeiras were just too good on the day.Made a good start to the league and Corinthians start is very shocking indeed!

Perhaps another big name club heading down to join Santos?

A good showing in the Paulistao, and a decent start in the big league. The 2-1 losses would appear to be competitive at least, so no bad results yet. To me that suggests that if form holds up and injuries stay away, you should be able to gather enough points to survive - surely the first aim is survival - and if you get a run on at some stage maybe push up the table a bit.

Making the semi-finals of the Copa Kia do Brasil is no small matter either. All good stuff.

And thanks for your explanation of the Brasil system earlier on, I was among the confused who now thinks they understand enough to get by.

Cheers, Bad Manager :) Glad it helped.

Very solid stuff mate. Going from strength to strength. :thup:
4 points is not a bad start, but you must be consistent.

Thanks, DazRTaylor and TheGreatTraveler. It's been a grind and a difficult one at that.

I cant believe neymar and ganso are still at santos !!
They are very loyal in rl and in game now after Jan window update. But bet they could be picked up quite cheap now anyway. Suprised no one gone for a unhappy Neymar :eek:

I would try and grab oneof them if I had a transfer budget!! :)

24 June 2013

topbanner_(yandex).gif

Cerud Heading to Russia?

It seems as though Cerud's gamble has paid off. The Canadian manager has been in talks with Anji Makhachkala over taking over the managerial position now that Gadji Gadjiev has retired. Cerud has been linked with the job throughout the year and applied a week ago after the position became vacant. Santo André have been understand of their manager throughout the negotiation period, but while betting has expired on the position, nothing has been signed.

anji.png

anji2.png

In 9 matches with Santo André this year, we have only 1 win, 4 losses, and 4 ties. I knew that it was going to be a fight, but we simply can't compete with the big money clubs. I could probably eke out a survival run, but Anji is an established Russian club and they are gearing up for Europa league football this season.

Thoughts?

That's a really tempting offer, you have the chance there to win a few league title. Plus, the money is a lot better than in Brazil. I'd say take it :)

I agree :)

24 June 2013

topbanner_(yandex).gif

Cerud Takes Top Job with Anji

In a move which has been speculated for a week now, Cerud has joined Anji as their new manager. This marks the Canadian manager's first movement in club football, leaving Santo André where his career began. While there has been debate as to whether the young manager is ready to handle a higher level club, Cerud seemed calm while talking to reporters. Outside of the Moscow training grounds, Cerud stated,

"Santo André is like your first girlfriend. They never quite leave you. I will remember my time in Brazil and with the club as the place that gave an inexperienced foreign manager a chance. Or rather, we both took chances on each other. While I like to think that it paid off for everyone involved, it's also time for new challenges. [Chairman] Kerimov has been generous in his praise over the past six months, not only of me, but of Santo André in general. Now that [former manager] Gadjiev has retired, i know that we will have the time to build Anji into one of the most dominant clubs in Russia and in Europe."

Cerud leaves Santo André having brought them back to the Brasileirão from Série C.

510004580.png

I have been mentioned in news reports for the past six month with this job, so when it came open, I felt that I had to apply. This is a much bigger club and will give me the ability to grow my reputation better than I could have in Santo André. This is a good career move and the kind that I am wanting to do.

anji.png

Managerial Club Record

santo.png

Plans

Will be updating on joining Anji Makhachkala shortly.

24 June 2013

AqCY5PVvagRKAcZy35uLRxUhKd.jpg

Anji Hire Replacement for Gadjiev

In a formal announcement in front of their practice grounds in Moscow today, Anji officially unveiled their new manager, Canadian-born Cerud. Cerud joins from Santo André in Brazil, where he achieved back-to-back promotions. Over the past week, Russian media has debated as to whether the manager has what it takes to manage in Europe; however, the Chairman has given his full approval as the players as schedules to return from their break in a couple weeks time.

smallnews_817.jpg

FC Anji Makhachkala - SOGAZ Prem'er Liga

The club has offered me a huge pay raise from what I was making in Santo André. I have signed a $900 000/year until the end of 2016, a 3 year contract. They offered 4 years at a little lower, but I felt that I could show them what I'm capable of and then demand a higher salary in a few years time.

About the Club

The club is relatively new, having only been formed in 1991. They are based out of Makhachkala on the west coast of the Caspian Sea. However, due to hostilities in the region, the club actually lives and trains in Kratovo, a village just outside of Moscow. They only fly in for their home matches.

In their inaugural season, the club played in the republic league for Dagestan, going undefeated. With the dis****ion of the Soviet Union later that year, they began in the 2nd Division of Russian football, winning that in their third year of existance. However, due to restructuring, they were not promoted to the 1st Division until 1996. In 2000, they won promotion to the Premier League only to be relegated a year later. In 2009, they rejoined the Premier League and have rapidly gained a fan base due to the signing of Samuel Eto'o in 2011.

The Stats

Year Founded: 1991

Nickname: Dikaya Divisiya (the Wild Division)

Fierce Rivals: Terek, Spartak Moscow

Other Rivals: None

The Stadium - Anji Arena

Year Built: 2003

Capacity: 31 000 all-seater

Owner/Rent: Anji

Facilities

Corporate: Top

Training: Top

Youth: Minimal

Junior Coaching: Adequate

Youth Recruitment: Fairly Basic

So, we have a great set up, except for youth. Oddly enough, the club is also set to move into the 50 000 capacity Makhachkala in 2017. Guess someone has some money :) Here is the Anji Arena.

Stadium-Mack.png

2013-2014 Pre-Season

smallnews_817.jpg

The Stats

SOGAZ Prem'er Liga: Qualify for Europa League

Rambler Kubok Rossii: Reach the Semi Final

UEFA Europa League: Reach the Group Stage

Media Prediction: 7th of 16

Wage Budget: $60 150 439

Currently Spending: $54 873 479 ($5 276 960 cap space available)

Transfer Budget: $16 380 007

Main Kit Sponsorship: $2 640 001 (expires 2104)

General Sponsorship: $39 000 000 (expired 2015)

Average Ticket Price: $5.20

Average Season Ticket Price: $70.90

Season Ticket Holders: 3 558

Estimated Value: $60M

Current Loan: $43.5K

National Club Ranking in Russia: 7th

Goals

• Hire backroom staff.
  • Achieve a top 4 finish.
  • Make 1st Knockout Round of Europa League.
  • Make a profit.

A lot more money available with Anji, but the Board expectations are also higher. However, they are achievable. The squad is decent, but I hope i can make a few key additions. I have noticed one odd thing...out of all my backroom staf, one coach is making more than the rest combined. No idea why a coach is pulling in over $7M a year...

Great move to Anji :cool:.
Good luck at Anji,hope you can find success.
Good luck in Russia - should be an interesting challenge

It should be :) The squad needs to few positions, but they're not too bad.

You'll be swimming in cash.

Well I spent a lot in releasing staff. They had one coach making over $7M for another 4 years!! I was able to releasing him for $11M though, so I see it as saving $17M over 4 years :)

Did the coach even have good stats , fm really over pays coaches with better reputations than others :/

Eh...he was alright. However, he was an icon with the club, likely a former player.

9 July 2013

AqCY5PVvagRKAcZy35uLRxUhKd.jpg

Anji Looks to the Future

Both Chairman Kerimov and Manager Cerud were on hand to unveil plans to upgrade youth facilities and coaching. Cerud, who was involved in youth development at his previous club, wants to be able to grow homegrown prospects in order gain a competitive edge against other clubs in the league.

"Today, we have a good first step. The Board has understood our vision for the future and given the go ahead to move forward. We want to continue going forward, bringing the youth in the Makhachkala area into sport. This is not only for the club, it is for the community as a whole."

youth.png

coachn.png

Our junior coaching has moved up from Adequate to Average. Currently, our youth facilities are Minimal, so by October 2014, they should rise a notch.

CONCACAF Gold Cup 2013

The Gold Cup has now started and my Costa Rican squad looks ready to go. Unfortunately, we have been hit be three injuries before we've even played our first match and there's no time to call up replacements. So, we go on without.

8 July 2013

1883543137.png428187847.png

Group Stage

Costa Rica 2 - 1 El Salvador

El Salvador actually played very well against us. However, our two goals were too much for them to equalize. Their only goal came in stoppage time.

12 July 2013

1307244350.png1883543137.png

Group Stage

Trinidad & Tobago 0 - 4 Costa Rica

A hugely dominant match from us. Trinidad & Tobago never had a chance. The pundits expected a closer match, possibly a 1-0 affair, so they weren't giving us our due.

This win has also guaranteed our progression into the Quarter Final.

CONCACAF Gold Cup 2013

15 July 2013

510656729.png1883543137.png

Group Stage

Barbados 0 - 3 Costa Rica

Another dominant match for us. Saborio seems to be taking the scoring lead be storm, hitting a hattrick in this match and well ahead of any others.

The Quarter Finals

So, the quarter finals are done and the match ups have been drawn up.

matchp.png

Could have been better; could have been worse. It will definitely be a test for us. However, Jamaica was able to pull of a good win against the United States so hopefully we can too.

CONCACAF Gold Cup 2013

20 July 2013

1883543137.png67823259.png

Quarter Final

Costa Rica 4 - 2 United States of America

We took down the hosts! The United States were hosting the Gold Cup this year and were probably looking to hoist it on their turf. It was an edgy game for most of it. However, going into the half, even though the United States were controlling possession, we ended up 2 goals up from brilliant counter attacking movement along the sides. They pulled one back to make it a game, but we immediately hit back, not once but twice to put away the match and make it look more one sided than it really was.

The Semi Finals

Here are the semi final match ups.

semiu.png

Would have liked to have gone up against Panama, but at least it's not Mexico.

Doing great so far. Tough draw to get USA but they are beatable.

Thanks, Welsh Wizard! Indeed they are ;)

Good luck with Anji cerud! :thup:

At least there's an outside chance of winning against the US. Better than facing Mexico for example...

Cheers rancer! We took care the the USA, but every match is probably difficult at this stage.

Hopefully Panama pulls something out of the hat and shocks Mexico. :D

And you can get a result against Honduras of course.

Having managed Canada in so many FMs, I always found Honduras and Mexico more challenging than the US...

2013-2014 End of Pre-Season

smallnews_817.jpg

The Matches

Russia - Pervyj Division - Yenisey Krasnovarsk - won 4-0

Russia - Prem'er Liga - Terek Grozny - won 2-1

Argentina - Primera Nacional B - Guillermo Brown de Puerto Madryn - won 6-0

The Players

Squad | Transfers - Not much movement. I'm having a difficult, or rather, impossible time signing anyone who is Russian. They don't want to play for me which is a problem because I'm only allowed 6 foreign players in my starting 11. In addition, players don't even gain Russian citizenship. Not sure if that's a glitch or that just Russian law.

I ony brought in one player during my reign so far, a young goalkeeper who I hope I can train and mentor up into at least a decent back up.

Sergey Revyakin - GK - Only rated as a potential 2 star goalkeeper, I'm hoping that we can change that. I have some good goalkeeping mentors in the 1st squad which should be able to help.

Pre-Season Thoughts

A short and sweet pre-season, mainly to get tactically sound. I've also changed my tactical usage somewhat. It's still a 442 flat, but it's a little more defensive minded. I hated bleeding all those goals in Brazil and hope I can stop that here.

One note, Samuel Eto'o's contract is up at the end of this season and he doesn't want to stay. It looks like I'll either have to figure a way to convince him to stay or trade him before January. Man, I need Russians to sign wth me!

Hopefully Panama pulls something out of the hat and shocks Mexico. :D

And you can get a result against Honduras of course.

Having managed Canada in so many FMs, I always found Honduras and Mexico more challenging than the US...

I'm hoping Panama has a surprize or two as well! :)

Should be Costa Rica vs Mexico final but this is FM and has the great feature of unpredictability.

I hope, but Honduras is a strong CONCACAF squad. It won't be easy.

Archived