Quickfire Questions and Answers Thread (Tactic and Training Questions Only)

I imagine having, for example, an attacking winger with dwells on ball can be useful if your team defends very deep and need time to get upfield when they have won the ball...

Yups that's another scenario where it can be useful.

• Replies 17.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I kinda forgot the answer to this so thought I'd ask here to make sure 100%. What does your base formation shape represent in FM? Attacking with the ball or defending without it?

I've always believed that it represents the defensive positioning of your team without the ball. I don't have a link to confirm that though.

What are the benefits of runs through center on a IF?

When he cuts inside he will generally attack the centre backs as opposed to going back out wide, it's a PPM that I personally like on IFs

Sorry if this has already been questioned. I was trying to search it but didn't find it.

Can a player tutor more than one player at a time? If so what is the maximum number?

Thanks in advance!

No, one player at a time.

Hey gang! Quick 'stupid' question. When advising my MC duo to Man Mark specific opposition players, it automatically chooses the same position they are in. IE If I want my MCr and MCl to mark my opponents MCr and MCl, the MCl takes the MCl and vice versa. Shouldn't the MCl take the MCr? Should we manually do that or leave it at the default suggestion? Cheers.

Never have noticed this before but:

What is the logics behind that on FM 2012 the team passing instruction doesn't actually affect the passing sliders one bit, but rather with and tempo instead? On FM 2013 it sure does, naturally.

I guys havn't got time to read through all the posts, due to m being on a 30 min break, on fm12 you had a setting th stopped the game every day, week, month depending on what you chose for eithr just the transfer window or full season. I may just be having a selective sight issue but I can't seem to find it on FM13, any idea if it is still on here or has it been removed?

Edit: Sorry guys just realised I'm in Tactics and Training. Hopefully someon will still answer

I kinda forgot the answer to this so thought I'd ask here to make sure 100%. What does your base formation shape represent in FM? Attacking with the ball or defending without it?

Anyone confirm?

It more accurate to think of it as your defending shape, as you would in real-life. The players will deviate more from it with the ball than without.

I guys havn't got time to read through all the posts, due to m being on a 30 min break, on fm12 you had a setting th stopped the game every day, week, month depending on what you chose for eithr just the transfer window or full season. I may just be having a selective sight issue but I can't seem to find it on FM13, any idea if it is still on here or has it been removed?

Edit: Sorry guys just realised I'm in Tactics and Training. Hopefully someon will still answer

Are you talking about going on holidays?

It more accurate to think of it as your defending shape, as you would in real-life. The players will deviate more from it with the ball than without.

Yep, it's really easy to make a 4-4-2 look like a 4-2-3-1 in attack, but very difficult to make a 4-2-3-1 look like a 4-4-2 in defence (two banks of four).

Not going on holidays, it was an option to stop the processing of events to daily either just during the transfer window or for the full competition, think it came under screen flow, something like that

Isn't it just setting the processing to 'more responsive'?

Sorry Clean, didn't realise until after I posted it. If I remember correctly you used the section in your Youth Development thread on FM12, the options section.

Np Scottish Lad :)

In relation to training youth players (say 17 and under), can they play in too many youth games? I ask as the youth leagues have a 38 game fixture list, and a youth cup (throw in an U19's cup and a couple of friendlies) that seems a lot of matches for younger players

In relation to training youth players (say 17 and under), can they play in too many youth games? I ask as the youth leagues have a 38 game fixture list, and a youth cup (throw in an U19's cup and a couple of friendlies) that seems a lot of matches for younger players

Keep an eye on them and if they become jaded or in need of a rest be sure to give them the rest. Playing tired players will stop development of the player so be sure to give holidays when they become tired so they can come back fresh. Plus you risk serious injuries playing tired players.

Keep an eye on them and if they become jaded or in need of a rest be sure to give them the rest. Playing tired players will stop development of the player so be sure to give holidays when they become tired so they can come back fresh. Plus you risk serious injuries playing tired players.

Thanks for the reply :thup:

I'll make sure players don't get jaded for sure, noticed the youth team lacked a couple of depth players (thus it seemed some were overplayed), so brought in a couple of young players in the hopes the manager will rotate as well.

Does playing in reserve/U18 match help increase a youngster stats? Sorry if this has been asked before.

Yes (as in, it's better than not playing at all). It should be part of development (if a player needs it, some players—e.g. Rooney—are good enough from an early age and don't need that step).

Cleon mentions that ideally we need to sign "like-minded backroom staff". Does that include their preferred formation, passing, marking etc. or just the personality?

Preferred formation of your head of youth development can also influence the positions your regens will have.

Yes (as in, it's better than not playing at all). It should be part of development (if a player needs it, some players—e.g. Rooney—are good enough from an early age and don't need that step).

OK, thanks. I made mistake and bought too many young Striker (around 8-9) so right now I'm worried about developing them.

Another question, does determination and other status can be lowered by tutoring? I have a player tutored by Giggs and now he is model professional. I want others player to tutor him so he'll learn some PPM but worried but the tutor have fairly professional and lower determination. It is better for me to have the player learn PPM manually?

Cleon mentions that ideally we need to sign "like-minded backroom staff". Does that include their preferred formation, passing, marking etc. or just the personality?
Preferred formation of your head of youth development can also influence the positions your regens will have.

This is correct :)

OK, thanks. I made mistake and bought too many young Striker (around 8-9) so right now I'm worried about developing them.

Another question, does determination and other status can be lowered by tutoring? I have a player tutored by Giggs and now he is model professional. I want others player to tutor him so he'll learn some PPM but worried but the tutor have fairly professional and lower determination. It is better for me to have the player learn PPM manually?

They'll be fine in the U18's but they need to be playing and that'll be too many for one squad. Get some out on loan so they are playing and just keep 3-4 in your U18s (less is better so they are playing as many games as possible), you may end up keeping more if you are tutoring them though.

Determination and other attribs can indeed go down through tutoring, you have to decide whether you can take a point or so hit if the outcome is worth it. You can tutor them back up later on. Tutoring and developing players is hard and requires long-term strategy to get the best out of it. Managing who is tutored by whom and when is difficult, but the rewards can be great.

The good news is that they'll only shift their attribs towards the tutor, not copy. So, if you had a youngster with 19 determination tutored by a tutor with 10 determination, the youngster would probably end up with 17-18 determination which I'd say is fine (you may disagree) if he's getting other benefits from the tutoring session.

Anyone know? Is there a table somewhere that says which training category each attribute falls in or something?

Yes, you can view it in the game.

1. Go to a player's profile

2. Go to his training tab

3. in the upper right corner of his attributes panel (on the right of the screen) you will see a drop-down menu with "area" marked on it.

4. Click it, select which category you want to see.

This will show you the attributes trained by each team category, and also each specific role that the player can train in.

What would you recommend against quick, dribling, technical good wingers when it comes to 'opposition instructions'...?

In my St. Pauli save, I got murdered by Leverkusen winger Schürle in my recent game. I tried mark always, press always, weak foot.

Is it better to use mark 'never' and press 'never' to make your fullback stay between goal and the oppposition..??

Yes, you can view it in the game.

1. Go to a player's profile

2. Go to his training tab

3. in the upper right corner of his attributes panel (on the right of the screen) you will see a drop-down menu with "area" marked on it.

4. Click it, select which category you want to see.

This will show you the attributes trained by each team category, and also each specific role that the player can train in.

Thanks a lot Max!

Next question,

What exactly do Youth Facilities, Recruitment and Coaching affect?

Found this online, not sure if it's true:

Youth Facilities – The better they are, the better the rate of youth CA distribution.

Junior Coaching – Affects the CA level of your Youth Intake players. The better this is, the more likely to get players with high CA.

Youth Recruitment – The better this is, increases the pool of players that can be recruited, increasing chance of high PA players.

What would you recommend against quick, dribling, technical good wingers when it comes to 'opposition instructions'...?

In my St. Pauli save, I got murdered by Leverkusen winger Schürle in my recent game. I tried mark always, press always, weak foot.

Is it better to use mark 'never' and press 'never' to make your fullback stay between goal and the oppposition..??

He is pain isn't he? I'll go with Tight marking - never (he is too fast), Closing down - default (he has good long shots and I don't want to give him too much space), Show onto foot - left (to force him wide because he is not a good crosser).

Hazza treat it like real life, then it's pretty obvious that:

The better youth facilities your club has the more chance your youth players will improve and reach there potential, as they are working in high quality facilities that will have appropriate sports science, pitches, organisation, etc..., I'm not saying it limits injuries (in relation to the Sports Science).

The better the Junior coaches are the more likely your players are to improve, because they will be telling them the correct techniques, be teaching them with the correct exercises, understand their strengths and weakness more fully.

And youth recruitment, well if your club is searching fully across the globe for the best talent then inevitably they have a chance of finding an unpolished gem in a far flung corner of the globe. It doesn't happen with every foreign player, but like Arsenal you may end up with an Alex Song coming through your youth system.

The better youth facilities your club has the more chance your youth players will improve and reach there potential, as they are working in high quality facilities that will have appropriate sports science, pitches, organisation, etc..., I'm not saying it limits injuries (in relation to the Sports Science).

The better the Junior coaches are the more likely your players are to improve, because they will be telling them the correct techniques, be teaching them with the correct exercise, understand their strengths and weakness more fully.

And youth recruitment, well if your club is searching fully across the globe for the best talent then inevitably they have a chance of finding an unpolished gem in a far flung corner of the globe. It doesn't happen with every foreign player, but like Arsenal you may end up with an Alex Song coming through your youth system.

Thank you.

It's a tricky one, depends on personnel. The 3 CM can either be a wide Central Midfield 3, with outside ones being shuttlers. Or it can be a narrow system that uses wingbacks, those roles are so fluid and varied, either are appropriate. Rest of the roles are spot on.

He is I'm sure you know, heavily influenced by Bielsa, and a ZM article on Bielsa's Chile is here

With the information in that you could argue the case either way, though they are more like CM's that are auxiliary wingbacks

The better the Junior coaches are the more likely your players are to improve, because they will be telling them the correct techniques, be teaching them with the correct exercises, understand their strengths and weakness more fully.

I thought Junior Coaching meant the amount of available attributes can be trained individually, the higher the level the more options available for individual training. I could be wrong but I'm sure that it was this on FM12 could have changed it for FM13

I thought Junior Coaching meant the amount of available attributes can be trained individually, the higher the level the more options available for individual training. I could be wrong but I'm sure that it was this on FM12 could have changed it for FM13

That is down to training facilities.