Quickfire Questions and Answers Thread (Tactic and Training Questions Only)

I've just come across a very unusal formation from the AI that literally tore my team apart.

It was a narrow 4-2-3-1 with 2 CM and 3 AMCs. My defence and midfield just couldn't handle it. I deliberatly moved from my 4-4-2 to a 4-5-1 with AMR/L that I've had set up for a while, so the team is Accomplished/fluid at it. I tried to push up and play narrow to try to compress the play, but the AMCs drifted out wide to give them width. I struggled to focus down the flanks and tried to pass into spce in the hopes of bypassing the congested midfield.

Any suggestions about what to do if the Ai throws the damned thing at me again?

• Replies 17.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've just come across a very unusal formation from the AI that literally tore my team apart.

It was a narrow 4-2-3-1 with 2 CM and 3 AMCs. My defence and midfield just couldn't handle it. I deliberatly moved from my 4-4-2 to a 4-5-1 with AMR/L that I've had set up for a while, so the team is Accomplished/fluid at it. I tried to push up and play narrow to try to compress the play, but the AMCs drifted out wide to give them width. I struggled to focus down the flanks and tried to pass into spce in the hopes of bypassing the congested midfield.

Any suggestions about what to do if the Ai throws the damned thing at me again?

Try the shout exploit the middle since they have no dm.

I'm currently set up playing a very defensive anti football esque West Ham save. I'm trying to re-create the Bolton shape/style under Allardyce with the current Ham crop:

My question is, with playing Andy Caroll as TM (s) will I hinder my defenders decision to hoof it to him, by playing Mark Noble as my playmaker. Mark is my best passer, and so I'm in the mind that things would be best channeled through him, but I also dont want my defenders thinking, oo Im in a tight defesnive situation Ill try and pass to Noble rather than hoof it to Caroll

Needing some help trying to create a 4-2-2-2 box formation that is used a lot in Brazil, with Celtic in the SPL.

So far, I am dominating games in terms of possession and shots, but a lot of my shots are long shots.

I contain the opposition very well as they rarely get any shots on goal and little possession.

However, I just struggle to really create anything.

I play with 2 DM's a CM Attack and a AP Attack with a TREQ and Poacher up front.

Just want to be able to create more clear cut chances, whilst regaining control of the match as I am so far.

Needing some help trying to create a 4-2-2-2 box formation that is used a lot in Brazil, with Celtic in the SPL.

So far, I am dominating games in terms of possession and shots, but a lot of my shots are long shots.

I contain the opposition very well as they rarely get any shots on goal and little possession.

However, I just struggle to really create anything.

I play with 2 DM's a CM Attack and a AP Attack with a TREQ and Poacher up front.

Just want to be able to create more clear cut chances, whilst regaining control of the match as I am so far.

For me the best thread ever to grace these forums was on this subject. Infact the same person did 2 threads, I think they're well worth a read and you might find it very useful for the info to translate into your own save. Here are the links;

Uncle Sam's Brazilian 4-4-2 (4-2-2-2) *not a plug-and-play* tactics set

and

[FM 2012] 4-4-2 Box Midfield Project

Also Furious did another one of my favourite thread's as well which can be found here;

The 4222 Box - Blurring the Strata

They should give you all the info you ever need.

For me the best thread ever to grace these forums was on this subject. Infact the same person did 2 threads, I think they're well worth a read and you might find it very useful for the info to translate into your own save. Here are the links;

Uncle Sam's Brazilian 4-4-2 (4-2-2-2) *not a plug-and-play* tactics set

and

[FM 2012] 4-4-2 Box Midfield Project

Also Furious did another one of my favourite thread's as well which can be found here;

The 4222 Box - Blurring the Strata

They should give you all the info you ever need.

Just what I was looking for, thank you.

Yay, box 4222 my favourite subject :D

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/334313-Going-against-the-Grain-a-journey-from-rage-quit-to-complete-satisfaction

Hopefully will help. The key to playing free flowing football is getting the space right otherwise the DMs and MC all end up on top of each other and its a mess.

From Lam:

"

Balance the team then tweak.......

If you don't mind a question, why is your BPD behind your DLP? Wouldn't he be better served in the CDR position?

Also.... in the spirit of 'always improving', have you thought about moving your MCL (AP) to the MCR position? The right side of your midfield column is generally more advanced than the left and by having the AP(A) on the left he is likely to be moving into the same space as the TM who is dropping deep, neither of those roles have roaming so they could be trying to play in the same space.... unless of course, your plan is for your AP(A) to move into the TM's position, though if that is the case, then you might be better served with an CM(A).

A Similar argument could be said for your DMR(S) moving into space already occupied. Again if you were to swap the AP over then he would be moving forwards and leaving a gap for the DMR to move into. I think you could create some nice passing triangles this way"

While im here.. CLEON, what pitch size would you say for this formation? Ive always gone standard but thinking it might be better to go longer and narrow? Cheers

Is there any way to stop that dreaded back passing from the centre of the field back to goalkeeper.

Just now I was on overload 90+ in the game and my LB backpasses the ball to goalkeeper, he misses it and I concede from corner.

I mean where's the logic of backpassing from centre on overload tactic in stoppage time.

(this happens quite often)

IS there a way to increase tempo without using hassle and direct passing shouts? What i want is my team to up tempo but not hassle, man mark or go direct passing. Thanks

You can adjust the tempo slider under tactics>team instructions. There isn't a shout that just does tempo only.

This should be pretty straightforward to most, but apparently not to me.

If I know how the AI is attacking (either coming down either flank or through the middle), what can I do to counter that?

For opponents attacking down my flank, should I man mark with my FB? Close down more often (in hope of winning the ball ASAP) or less often (standing their ground, nice zonal shape)? Or should I make my FB bombard forward since the opposite wingers won't perform much defending duty?

For those coming through the middle, I am playing 4-1-2-2-1 so what can I do to my DM and 2 MCs?

This should be pretty straightforward to most, but apparently not to me.

If I know how the AI is attacking (either coming down either flank or through the middle), what can I do to counter that?

For opponents attacking down my flank, should I man mark with my FB? Close down more often (in hope of winning the ball ASAP) or less often (standing their ground, nice zonal shape)? Or should I make my FB bombard forward since the opposite wingers won't perform much defending duty?

For those coming through the middle, I am playing 4-1-2-2-1 so what can I do to my DM and 2 MCs?

Through the middle -> If you're playing a 41221 I wouldn't worry about it. Do what you like. You have 5 players centrally covering the most dangerous area of the pitch, unless they outnumber you and have incredible movement they'll be attacking your strongest point.

Wide -> Attacking wide is only ever a secondary threat (I don't know what the stats are but there aren't many goals scored from wider than 5 yards or so outside either post). What is their primary threat once they've attacked wide? If it's cutting inside then you have that covered because they are moving into a highly congested area. If it's crosses then I'd probably keep my FB's defensive to try and limit crosses from the byline, probably play wider (this could lead to dangerous central gaps though so be careful), and keep my AMR/AML high ready for a counter attack (which should be very effective). I'd play deep to accentuate my counter threat and get some passers in the middle.

Personnel -> You didn't mention if you know how they are attacking through watching the game or you're making an educated guess beforehand? If it the latter then have a think about your players. For attacking through the middle I'd make sure my MC's are capable of doing some defending (Fellaini/Gerrard rather than Cazorla/Mata) to make sure your core is tight. If it's attacking wide then get some creative players centrally ready to exploit the space your AMR/AML get (unless you want them tracking back more but that's a different setup again).

Probably a really stupid question but I really need to know. Why is it that when I set the team strategy to counter, the tc sets the tempo to low and the opposite for control?

Shouldn't the counter attacking strategy require a high tempo game and a control strategy the other?

I play deep 4-2-3-1 with two DM's, one AM and two wingers playing as inside forwards.

My tactic is based on counter attacks, and the deault mentality for my wingers is one notch below normal. Would setting it to the first notch of attacking be a good idea?

My passing is focused down both flanks.

I play deep 4-2-3-1 with two DM's, one AM and two wingers playing as inside forwards.

My tactic is based on counter attacks, and the deault mentality for my wingers is one notch below normal. Would setting it to the first notch of attacking be a good idea?

My passing is focused down both flanks.

If you're counter attacking then I reckon its generally best for your AMR/AML to stay high up the pitch (certainly at least having one high is a good idea).

The idea is that as the opposition attack usually an FB will go forward (eg DR) so you want your AML to hold in that gap. This serves two purposes - firstly, he'll be in space when you win the ball back and, secondly, it gives the FB a decision to make (if he stays this might hamper their attack, also good). So, when you win the ball back FC is hopefully interesting their DCR which further creates space for your AML, who should receive the ball and probably make a beeline for that DCR as your FC makes some movement to create space both for himself, for the AML and, hopefully, for either AMR or AMC as they look to join the counter (using their pace, decisions and anticipation).

After watching a series of uninspired draws last night I come to you with a probably stupid question:

Is it possible to increase the mentality of your two wide players without manually tweaking sliders or affecting the general mentality of the whole team?

To give the question some context, I'm playing a 41221 and my 'front 3' are set up thus:

Str : DLF (A)

AML : Winger (S)

AMR : IF (A)

The intent is to have the DLF coming deep to create space and through balls (mainly for the IF) however the IF always seems too far behind play or is not making any penetrative runs into the box. As such I'm creating few chances. Obviously there is the Exploit the Flanks shout, but if I understand correctly, this also affects the mentality of your full backs too?

After watching a series of uninspired draws last night I come to you with a probably stupid question:

Is it possible to increase the mentality of your two wide players without manually tweaking sliders or affecting the general mentality of the whole team?

To give the question some context, I'm playing a 41221 and my 'front 3' are set up thus:

Str : DLF (A)

AML : Winger (S)

AMR : IF (A)

The intent is to have the DLF coming deep to create space and through balls (mainly for the IF) however the IF always seems too far behind play or is not making any penetrative runs into the box. As such I'm creating few chances. Obviously there is the Exploit the Flanks shout, but if I understand correctly, this also affects the mentality of your full backs too?

You said your DLF coming deep but you have your DLF on attack duty? To have him coming deep, you should have him on support duty.

You said your DLF coming deep but you have your DLF on attack duty? To have him coming deep, you should have him on support duty.

Heh, thanks vasili. In my defence, it is the stupid questions thread. Although my initial question does still stand - Is it possible to increase wide player mentality without fiddling with sliders?

Heh, thanks vasili. In my defence, it is the stupid questions thread. Although my initial question does still stand - Is it possible to increase wide player mentality without fiddling with sliders?

In short, no.

You could keep everyone else on support/defence duties and just have the two wide men on attack. Using 'balanced' this would boost their mentality but it does, of course, have far reaching effects on your team.

If you're counter attacking then I reckon its generally best for your AMR/AML to stay high up the pitch (certainly at least having one high is a good idea).

The idea is that as the opposition attack usually an FB will go forward (eg DR) so you want your AML to hold in that gap. This serves two purposes - firstly, he'll be in space when you win the ball back and, secondly, it gives the FB a decision to make (if he stays this might hamper their attack, also good). So, when you win the ball back FC is hopefully interesting their DCR which further creates space for your AML, who should receive the ball and probably make a beeline for that DCR as your FC makes some movement to create space both for himself, for the AML and, hopefully, for either AMR or AMC as they look to join the counter (using their pace, decisions and anticipation).

Yes, I thought so too. The thing is that the default mentality is set to normal even for my poacher, which seems a bit weird to me.

Do you think a combination of a quick poacher and two quicks inside forwards is good for counter attacking?

I also have a technical AM who's not very slow (14). Would it be better to use him as part of the attacking force or maybe droping deeper would help lunching the counter attacks?

Probably a really stupid question but I really need to know. Why is it that when I set the team strategy to counter, the tc sets the tempo to low and the opposite for control?

Shouldn't the counter attacking strategy require a high tempo game and a control strategy the other?

The counter is high tempo when on the counter. Otherwise, it sits a bit deep, slows the game, and looks for the opportunity to break. Control is based on moving the ball about quickly, probing to open up space. At least that is how I interpret the strategies.

Not really seen much info about any changes to tutoring in FM13 so i will ask here, Is there a difference between the 2 tutoring options for determination increase?

Had Owen Hargreaves (great tutor IMO) tutor Adryan using the bottom option (under your wing and mentor him off the field) but his determination never increased?

Had same happen with Gerrard and Sterling......bottom option as i didnt want sterling to learn shoot often from range etc and his determination didnt increase, yet when i used the top tutor option (improve his game) when having Carra tutor Coates and Wilson they both had their determination increase.

Am i seeing the right thing happen or is it just random?

Hello all. This may sound stupid but if we want a designed playmaker in team instructions, do you guys think it can also work by make him target man with supply to feet instead of playmaker?Maybe the team will look to make more passes for him?

Do you understand my question?

Thank you

Not really seen much info about any changes to tutoring in FM13 so i will ask here, Is there a difference between the 2 tutoring options for determination increase?

Had Owen Hargreaves (great tutor IMO) tutor Adryan using the bottom option (under your wing and mentor him off the field) but his determination never increased?

Had same happen with Gerrard and Sterling......bottom option as i didnt want sterling to learn shoot often from range etc and his determination didnt increase, yet when i used the top tutor option (improve his game) when having Carra tutor Coates and Wilson they both had their determination increase.

Am i seeing the right thing happen or is it just random?

The mental stuff should be no different whichever option you pick. It is random what they gain or not in terms of moves and attributes, and whether they have a blow up or get along.

Looking for the squad personality screen but can't find it anywhere,i don't mean Squad harmony btw - i mean where i can see if my players will 'Die for each other'

Thanks in advance :-)

Should be under last match, team talks screen. Ass Man will tell you the understanding of your players there.

Apologies if this has been asked previously.

I have my formation and tactics sorted, with high familiarity levels. Once I 'Submit Team' and I am in the match part of the game itself, does altering the Strategy (say, from Counter to Attacking) at this point affect the familiarity/fluidity levels of the team, and reduce performance as a result? Surely in-game tinkering is 'allowed'?

Many thanks

Apologies if this has been asked previously.

I have my formation and tactics sorted, with high familiarity levels. Once I 'Submit Team' and I am in the match part of the game itself, does altering the Strategy (say, from Counter to Attacking) at this point affect the familiarity/fluidity levels of the team, and reduce performance as a result? Surely in-game tinkering is 'allowed'?

Many thanks

It does change them yes. However the actual difference it makes when in a game is very miminal so doesn't make a difference at all.

When I watch matches I have the Opp. Formation widget open to track what they are doing. Half the time it has, for example, 4-4-2 (Tactical Changes Pending), and it will stay like that. Anyone know what that means if it never disappears? Is the AI just changing constantly?

How come some players develop slower / or stops developing well short of their full potential?

I have 2 newgens, one 4.5* and one 5* with ambitious personalities. Both developed immensely as youths and reached 2* by the time they are 18 and before turning 19 they are challenging for first team spots.

Turning 20 they are pretty much regular first team players and the one with 5* potential is at 4* while the 4.5* one is at 2.5*. How come he stopped developing quickly? Is he too content that he made it to the first team?

How come some players develop slower / or stops developing well short of their full potential?

I have 2 newgens, one 4.5* and one 5* with ambitious personalities. Both developed immensely as youths and reached 2* by the time they are 18 and before turning 19 they are challenging for first team spots.

Turning 20 they are pretty much regular first team players and the one with 5* potential is at 4* while the 4.5* one is at 2.5*. How come he stopped developing quickly? Is he too content that he made it to the first team?

This isnt a simple question but I'll try and be quick.

Player development is difficult and there are lots of variables at play. Both have ambitious personalities but the actual makeup of those personalities are probably different which may mean that one chap is far more likely to reach his potential than the other dude.

Beyond individual differences there could be other factors - gametime, quality of gametime, performance in games, tutoring etc.

There is also an event driven nature to FM i.e. if a young player scores a hat-trick in a big final then you'll normally see his rep and development sky rocket, if he'd had a poor game then this could of had a domino affect and sent him the other way.

Also, your coach assessment may be wrong. Your team may have got better or got promotions which led to the ratings changing.

Also also, there is some magic at work with player development. I put a lot of effort into player development and understanding the processes that work in FM but I am still surprised by players very very regularly - some fly and some don't.

This isnt a simple question but I'll try and be quick.

Player development is difficult and there are lots of variables at play. Both have ambitious personalities but the actual makeup of those personalities are probably different which may mean that one chap is far more likely to reach his potential than the other dude.

Beyond individual differences there could be other factors - gametime, quality of gametime, performance in games, tutoring etc.

There is also an event driven nature to FM i.e. if a young player scores a hat-trick in a big final then you'll normally see his rep and development sky rocket, if he'd had a poor game then this could of had a domino affect and sent him the other way.

Also, your coach assessment may be wrong. Your team may have got better or got promotions which led to the ratings changing.

Also also, there is some magic at work with player development. I put a lot of effort into player development and understanding the processes that work in FM but I am still surprised by players very very regularly - some fly and some don't.

Thanks for the reply, I hope the coach assessment is wrong because my 2.5* striker have close, if not better attributes to my main striker Cavani. I'm just disappointed because if he is that good stats wise I can't wait to see how good he will become at 4.5*.

They both get plenty of game time, and they both have season averages of 7.2+. Last season (when I introduced the 2.5* lad to the first team) he scored 31 goals, two goals behind my lead scorer Cavani. And only because I benched him so Cavani can get a few more goals towards the last three games and not be shamed!

Creative freedom = allowing the player to do what they want and not what ive set the tactics too?

Have long shots set to rare but have noticed a huge amount of them recently, is this whats causing it?

I think long shot rarely means when there is a choice between long shot vs key pass, they go for the key pass. However the recent patch probably toned down the acceptable range and opening player needed to make long shot, so when they want to make a long shot decision, there are no key passes so they shoot.

Have you tested the game with the new patch?

Most of the problems I've seen people post about, at least in my opinion, were related to players dribbling with the ball to much. Most often they would run into a bunch of players and be left with no option but to shoot.

Hello there! I don't currently have the game but have been playing the demo lately and can't seem to set up a decent 4-3-1-2 tactic no matter what I try, Its a formation I want to make a success of as for some strange reason I am not interested in winger formations and prefer narrow ones now. I also can never seem to settle on the best player roles for this formation I am always chopping and changing. The thing I want to ask is the 4-3-1-2 formation hard to achieve success with in the new fm? As I have had a look around the tactic section and have came across no 4-3-1-2 tactics uploaded, Its not that I want to use someone elses tactic as I actually prefer making my own even though I am not the greatest but was just looking for someone elses to take tips and help me with my own one. I will be the first to admit I am not the smartest at taking things in and would probably have to read something about five times, I would appreciate if someone could even point me in the right direction if there has been a 4-3-1-2 formation in the past.

Thanks and Merry Christmas everyone, sure hope I have the new fm as a christmas present lol.

Hello there! I don't currently have the game but have been playing the demo lately and can't seem to set up a decent 4-3-1-2 tactic no matter what I try, Its a formation I want to make a success of as for some strange reason I am not interested in winger formations and prefer narrow ones now. I also can never seem to settle on the best player roles for this formation I am always chopping and changing
I d go with very attacking fullbacks and the central midfielder CMd or DLPd . For the rest 5 upfront players ,nothing fancy : maybe CMs , AMs , DLFs , AFa . Moderate run with ball , moderate creative freedom , 1-2 roaming , balanced-standard strategy
Can anyone tell me how to tell my players to mark a specific player/position?

For example, if I want my LB to always mark the opposing RW, how do I tell him to do that? I believe it's referred to as 'individual man-marking' but I can be wrong.

It's on the player individual instructions under the 'marking' option

Hello there! I don't currently have the game but have been playing the demo lately and can't seem to set up a decent 4-3-1-2 tactic no matter what I try, Its a formation I want to make a success of as for some strange reason I am not interested in winger formations and prefer narrow ones now. I also can never seem to settle on the best player roles for this formation I am always chopping and changing. The thing I want to ask is the 4-3-1-2 formation hard to achieve success with in the new fm? As I have had a look around the tactic section and have came across no 4-3-1-2 tactics uploaded, Its not that I want to use someone elses tactic as I actually prefer making my own even though I am not the greatest but was just looking for someone elses to take tips and help me with my own one. I will be the first to admit I am not the smartest at taking things in and would probably have to read something about five times, I would appreciate if someone could even point me in the right direction if there has been a 4-3-1-2 formation in the past.

Thanks and Merry Christmas everyone, sure hope I have the new fm as a christmas present lol.

the most important thing to get that formation to work is to use the right type of players, and also to understand that the tactic is a disruption formation, you clogg the center and strive to break up the opponents play as fast as they cross the half way line, this means that you should press but not so much that you lose shape and structure (this can be a bit tricky to get right and im not sure which TC setings that would work best on fm13 since I have not used this formation on fm13)

Goalkeepers:

I like to play a slightly extravagant sweeper, but this is all down to personal prefarence and depends on which players you have

Defense:

it is probably most common to play with what is in practice 3 center backs (one of them play as defensive fullback in ether LB or RB position) and one wing back, this offers the team more stability and consistancy at the back....I would advice to stay away from the dual wing back set up unless you have very good and very fast players to use in these roles (compared to the division you play in)

Midfield trio:

the role of these guys is to break up play and keep the ball moving, so they need to be good in defense, decent enough in terms of mental attributes, and they should posses a basic ability to pass the ball

this is purely personal taste but I also like to have one wide MC that is good at long shooting to provide slightly more attacking options (with his strongest foot being deployed in a similar manner to that of an inside forward, so a player on MCl with a strong right foot for example)

Attacking midfielder:

this guy have to be fast (this is the only role along with wing back where this is needed), and ether be physically imposing or have great technical ability or if possible both on the same time, teams today use ether a central winger in a similar mold to Menez or a player like Naingollan etc....this player will be drifting to both flanks and drop into space if gaps show up

Forwards:

most of the time teams play with one goal scorer and one creator (the nr10 playmaker that used to play as attacking midfielder in the past will nowdays play higher up the pitch as an out and out striker if you have one of these players that is), both strikers should play very high up the pitch on the edge of the defense line and look to exploit any gap that they possibly could find, the AMC will provide all link up with the midfield that is needed so there is no point in bringing the strikers deeper, and since you play a narrow formation you will most of the time also have less chances and have a harder time finding them, so your strikers need to be very strong mentaly and very clinical....if you have a goalscorer that could also act as a target player, make sure that he is deployed on the oposit flank compared to your wing back so that the later can float long balls to him