A Message On Football Manager 2012 Activation

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
if they are "loyal" and "die Hard", then surely they just buy the game anyway?

I have been a fan of the game for many years and a member of these forums for 8 years, I won't be buying the game due to SI opting for using steam only, I think it is a terrible decision to choose this option, it leaves a lot of people annoyed because SI use to listen and take on board comments made by people, both positive and negative now they can't be bothered interacting with this very hot topic.

Turning to the question of this method will cut down piracy, utter bo**ocks, if anything it will drive people to piracy, furthermore, if this goes t*ts up they will lose even more customers next year. A big gamble in my eyes.

What I know is this. http://www.sega.co.uk/retailers/?g=7344

EDIT: No mention of needing internet and steam to activate FM12.

Seems Sega can't be bothered mentioning the steam activation on their shop, now that is out of order and a disgrace, mentioned earlier that there is no mention of Steam activation/internet required on the pre-order pages on Amazon or Play, it would seem Sega/SI are doing there best to hide this fact probably to ensure good sales.

Seems Sega can't be bothered mentioning the steam activation on their shop, now that is out of order and a disgrace, mentioned earlier that there is no mention of Steam activation/internet required on the pre-order pages on Amazon or Play, it would seem Sega/SI are doing there best to hide this fact probably to ensure good sales.

Ignoring the fact that people already have internet access if they are viewing any of those websites of course.

I would say Sega/SI have an obligation to state clearly on their own websites (Sega Shop) and other sites such as Amazon & Play that you are required to activate through the steam platform as it stands they are misleading customers.

Sega/SI are in for a lot of grief if they continue to market the product on these large retail websites without properly stating these facts.

Ignoring the fact that people already have internet access if they are viewing any of those websites of course.

But not necessarily at home or on the computer which will be used for playing FM.

I can access Amazon and Play on my Android phone, but the last time I checked it wasn't able to play FM.

And? I have the ability to authenticate the game, but I won't because I do not agree with Steam taking data off my computer. I had a battle with Tesco when Empire Total War came out as I didn't realise that was steam required until I had opened the game. They would not give me a refund until I got trading standards involved.

But not necessarily at home or on the computer which will be used for playing FM.

I can access Amazon and Play on my Android phone, but the last time I checked it wasn't able to play FM.

I wonder how many people have an up to date phone like an Android but no internet connection or any access at all to the internet on a computer.

And? I have the ability to authenticate the game, but I won't because I do not agree with Steam taking data off my computer. I had a battle with Tesco when Empire Total War came out as I didn't realise that was steam required until I had opened the game. They would not give me a refund until I got trading standards involved.

Go and put your tin foil hat back on.

...and ignoring the fact that there are public places that provide free internet access for those that don't have home internet access, you mean?

...and ignoring the fact that there are public places that provide free internet access for those that don't have home internet access, you mean?

Yes ignoring that considering you need about 30 seconds worth of internet to be able to play the game for the rest of time.

Get the details from steam did they? Somebody managed to impersonate you because they knew the specs of your computer?

First line of Valve privacy statement:

By using Valve's online sites and products, users agree that Valve may collect aggregate information, individual information, and personally identifiable information....

Yes ignoring that considering you need about 30 seconds worth of internet to be able to play the game for the rest of time.

So I can go to an internet café, activate the game with steam. Go home to my own PC and play the game?

If this is so, I see no problem. Leave the trash at the café ;-)

Since when has it ever done anything good to talk down to people... Who made you god in here?

No body made him god, but he is a mod. The statment he made was in line with the thread that nothing new is being said and it just getting repetitive. There is nearl 3000 posts, everything for and against in this debate has been said nothing else will chage the fact this is happening. And personal insults are starting to increase, this will just end in a slagging match between one or two highly opinionated people.

Originally Posted by David - SEGA

Each year we give you an update on the status of copy protection and activation of Football Manager and the decisions taken as we know it’s a hot topic for many of you, although for many others it’s not really an issue at all.

As you may remember, last year we decided against any activation as we couldn't find a solution that we thought struck a balance on combatting piracy and not penalising the genuine consumer. We did make our position on anti-piracy pretty clear though, we see it as a big problem for our game and we said we'd continue to look for a solution that stopped, or made it very difficult to pirate the game and play it for free.

This year we have found what we believe is an acceptable solution. Any version of Football Manager 2012 bought on disc will have to be activated through the Steam network, so therefore purchasers will have to have an internet connection for initial activation. This is a one-time only activation which requires you to sign up for a Steam account (which is free) and to install the Steam client and once it has been done the game can be played offline by turning on Steam's Offline mode. With those two simple steps done there are no more hoops to jump through or steps to take.

We appreciate that the vast majority of people reading this post on the forums are genuine consumers of the game, and that having to activate is not as simple as putting the game in the drive and playing. However we hope that, as a fan of the game, you feel that having to do a one-time activation is worth it to try to prevent others playing the game for free and stealing what you purchase with no punishment, and with no contribution toward the future of Football Manager and it's development. Make no mistake, if a quarter of the people that usually pirate the game switch to purchasing Football Manager 2012, the sales of the game worldwide would more than double. This would lead to increased development budgets and more benefits for all of you who do buy the game.

We've taken this decision because we believe that the steps the consumer has to take are not excessive, and that as a one-time only measure with no tracking or reporting it is not too intrusive. Having worked with Steam for a few years now we also believe that their system is ever improving and gives Football Manager players a good service of free auto-updating, achievements and other great benefits without cost or hassle.

We hope you understand and support the decision. It's by no means taken lightly, although I hope for the vast majority of you it's nowhere near as big an issue as we treat it as being.

In summary:

• You need to connect to the internet to activate Football Manager 2012 on PC and Mac before you start playing it

• To activate you will need to sign up to, and install the Steam client

• Once you have activated Football Manager 2012 you can then play it in Steam's "offline mode" - meaning you do not have to be connected to the internet to play

• Saved games are stored locally on your machine, but you can play Football Manager on any machine by signing into Steam and selecting it from your purchased games

• Staying connected to Steam will mean Football Manager 2012 is automatically updated with any patches or data updates released

The whole piracy aspect is not feasible in the long run. Most of those places that use pirated versions of games are usually in places where people simply can't afford to pay the full price of games, so what is the logic behind this statement from SEGA? Do they seriously think that these people are going to purchase it now with this whole Steam issue...?

:rolleyes:

By using Valve's online sites and products, users agree that Valve may collect aggregate information, individual information, and personally identifiable information....

To be fair, if you read the whole statement they also say that they don't pass it on to anyone.

Still, I've read enough about Steam to make a balanced decision not to use the software and therefore not to play FM 2012 (which is a shame). I will though wait for the initial reports after release day. Hopefully for SI's sake it won't be a total balls up, but I have my doubts.

Somebody posted some links earlier to various discussions and interviews on piracy, it's worth looking at in depth to realise what are the critical factors for the game distributors/developers and why there are certain actions they can take which will drastically reduce the impact on their bottom line, without ever pretending they can prevent piracy.

The whole piracy aspect is not feasible in the long run. Most of those places that use pirated versions of games are usually in places where people simply can't afford to pay the full price of games, so what is the logic behind this statement from SEGA? Do they seriously think that these people are going to purchase it now with this whole Steam issue...?

:rolleyes:

The reasoning behind it is... to target the ones that love the game, but have been getting pirated copies, but would pay for the game if they couldn't get a pirated copy. If this makes it harder for some to pirate the game (makes it longer to become available) then those people may decided to buy the game. That is what it mainly boils down to.

So I can go to an internet café, activate the game with steam. Go home to my own PC and play the game?

If this is so, I see no problem. Leave the trash at the café ;-)

I don't know, I don't use internet cafe's since I have an internet connection but you can sign up to steam in the cafe, then you could possibly download it onto a usb drive? Not really sure if that's possible, or maybe steam will be included on the disc? Again no idea if that's possible, as I said I have an internet connection so I haven't had to do anything like this before.

Or you could just buy a wireless dongle and if you live in the UK you're almost guaranteed to have the possibility to connect to the internet. http://btopenzone.hotspot-directory.com/ (I've already had a discussion about 'but not everybody lives in the UK,' yes I know but I do and I know the situation here, look for a similar service in other countries if you're that bothered)

EDIT: Damn my reply took ages to write, now he's banned

To be fair, if you read the whole statement they also say that they don't pass it on to anyone.

Still, I've read enough about Steam to make a balanced decision not to use the software and therefore not to play FM 2012 (which is a shame). I will though wait for the initial reports after release day. Hopefully for SI's sake it won't be a total balls up, but I have my doubts.

So did PSN and look what happened there.

Or you could just buy a wireless dongle and if you live in the UK you're almost guaranteed to have the possibility to connect to the internet. http://btopenzone.hotspot-directory.com/ (I've already had a discussion about 'but not everybody lives in the UK, yes I know but I do and I know the situation here, look for a similar service in other countries if you're that bothered)

Really? I suggest you go on to that map and go look at some rural areas of the UK. I know of at least 5 people off the top of my head who's only option if they want broadband is satellite as they are too far away from the exchange.

Windows takes personally identifiable information the majority of things concerned with computers takes information, if your that worried about it just use a console, and not a pc. Everytime you turn on your tv information is taken how else would they know what your watching. Your bank takes details of your spending habbits i.e. if your missing bills regularly they will send you letters about saving accounts. All this stuff is fine even thought you never realised you signed upto it, when you got your tv licence, when you opened your bank account. Personal identifiable information is taken, in case you forget your password or username so they can identify who you are.

Really? I suggest you go on to that map and go look at some rural areas of the UK. I know of at least 5 people off the top of my head who's only option if they want broadband is satellite as they are too far away from the exchange.

Hence why I said 'almost guaranteed'. The massive majority of people live in areas which have coverage. Jeez learn to read posts before you reply.

Windows takes personally identifiable information the majority of this conserned with computers takes information, if your that worried about it just use a console, and not a pc. Everytime you turn on your tv information is taken how else would they know what your watching. Your bank takes details of your spending habbits i.e. if your missing bills regularly they will send you letters about saving accounts. All this stuff is fine even thought you never realised you signed upto it, when you got your tv licence, when you opened your bank account. Personal identifiable information is taken, in case you forget your password or username so they can identify who you are.
And the data taken for your TV licence, Bank account etc, is stored in this country where we have pretty robust data protection laws unlike the US where Valve store theirs.

And the data taken for your TV licence, Bank account etc, is stored in this country where we have pretty robust data protection laws unlike the US where Valve store theirs.

Can i ask one quick thing, i said i would leave this but, if you are bothered why dont you sign up for a free hotmail account, put in false info, and buy the game on disk, where is the danger then? Steam will know nothing about you or have access to any of your privy info.

I don't know, I don't use internet cafe's since I have an internet connection but you can sign up to steam in the cafe, then you could possibly download it onto a usb drive? Not really sure if that's possible, or maybe steam will be included on the disc? Again no idea if that's possible, as I said I have an internet connection so I haven't had to do anything like this before.

Or you could just buy a wireless dongle and if you live in the UK you're almost guaranteed to have the possibility to connect to the internet. http://btopenzone.hotspot-directory.com/ (I've already had a discussion about 'but not everybody lives in the UK,' yes I know but I do and I know the situation here, look for a similar service in other countries if you're that bothered)

EDIT: Damn my reply took ages to write, now he's banned

I don't think it would be a problem download to a usb stick, unless steam is linked to an ip address.

nah you will have to have the computer playing FM connected to the net at some point, i would hope FM will come with the steam client on the disk, and from there you have to install and then activate the game online, this can only be done by using the computer FM is on, from there technically speaking you should not need the net again until you want to update, just make sure and follow the instructions on the steam FAQ.

That's not the impression I get: http://www.valvesoftware.com/privacy.html

Then don't look at the situations in other countries because you might get glaucoma... :D

Look I've already explained about other countries, I have no idea about the whole situation anywhere else, I live in the UK and don't have the need to connect to Estonian broadband or whatever. I highly doubt I will go blind no matter what the situation is anywhere else.

That's not the impression I get: http://www.valvesoftware.com/privacy.html

I downloaded steam and created an account, they have my email address which is registered to a different name, and they know I live in south glamorgan in wales in the uk, haven't given them my name or house number so what information can they use from that.

They can only use the information that you supply them with.

But still, you're whole arguement is that since it doesn't effect you then you don't see the problem... :rolleyes:

Actually I'm trying to come up with solutions for people who have access to things I'm relatively familiar with, i.e. internet cafe's, BT Openzone. I don't see you doing much except crying about people's lives being over because they can't play a computer game. The long and short of it is that this is happening, get used to it. Also I'd like to point out I'm not a whole argument.

I downloaded steam and created an account, they have my email address which is registered to a different name, and they know I live in south glamorgan in wales in the uk, haven't given them my name or house number so what information can they use from that.

They can only use the information that you supply them with.

According to Milnerpoint, steam collects info whilst running in offline mode, then sends it when set to online mode, which you will have to do in order to patch your game. How will you know what info they have collected from this method?

Archived