LAUREN's Arsenal Thread 2011/2012 - 125 Years of Greatness *sponsored by being BRILLIANT*

goon

• Replies 13.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So he's not gay?
Apparently, this is how the Moroccan army test a soldier's sexuality. He looks far too comfortable being kissed by beautiful women to be a hetero.

Speaking of Chamakh, he along with Almunia, Squallaci, Fabianski, Ashavin, Vela, Denilson, Bendtner and Park are looking very likely to leave this summer, and The Ox is getting double his current wage.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/arsenal/9170051/Arsenal-youngster-Alex-Oxlade-Chamberlain-to-benefit-as-Arsene-Wenger-plans-to-trim-Emirates-squad.html

I think the clear out is needed, but won't be easy at all. These players are all on high wages, and it'll be difficult for interested clubs to match the wages. It's amazing how many deadwood, average players, and chronic injury-prone players we carry on our team. There's so much room for improvement when you consider the people we need to replace. I'm hoping we won't be replacing the average with the inexperienced though. Podolski, if true, is the kind of signing we need to make if we're going to be competitive as a title-challenger and a top European team again. We just need it for other areas as well, such as strikers (to replace Park and/or Chamakh) and midfield to replace Benayoun. Our defenders is pretty good already, even though the jury is still out on Santos.

Our defense still has a lot to improve on, in terms of discipline, organization, and being well-drilled in the arts of defending, or perhaps I've just been spoiled by the old Graham's defense. It's not just the back 4 either, the whole team has improved, but collectively, as a unit, the whole team can still improve much more in terms of defense.

Not a fan of giving Ox the raise just yet though. We just signed him, on a long-term contract, and he hasn't done anything to deserve a raise yet has he?

lets say all of those go, that would leave our squad as follows

GK - Woj

RB- Sagna, Jenkinson, (Coquelin)

LB - Gibbs, Santos, (Miguel) (Vermaelen)

CB - Kos, Vermaelen, Mertesaker, Djourou, Miguel, Bartley, (Song)

DM - Song, Frimpong, Coquelin

CM - Wilshere, Arteta, Ramsey, Rosicky, Diaby, Lansbury, (Ox)

W - Theo, Gervinho, Ox, Ryo (Rosicky) (Lansbury)

CF - RVP, Campbell

() - not favoured position but can play there.

Add Podolski to that if it gets confirmed soon

Well, the out list has been around for at least 2 years now. Will believe it when I see it happen.

Yeah that's the part where these players were paid wages that during their best years, no way they'd go unless they ran out their contract out

Yeah that's the part where these players were paid wages that during their best years, no way they'd go unless they ran out their contract out

Actually, I meant those players who should have left 2 years ago i.e Almunia, Denilson etc etc. I do not believe the validity of the wage list btw.

No quotes from Wenger today about team news. Hope Diaby is back in the squad this weekend, give him the chance to prove himself in the last few games of the season. I feel if he doesn't then we might as well get rid, as much as Wenger likes him we can't keep players who don't contribute.

Diaby adds a different dimension to the squad and adds depth also. He is a decent back up and can play numerous roles along the centre of midfield. Injury worries aside (wish it was that easy) then he is a decent player.

Never forgiven for that moment against Newcastle last year however he deserves a chance.

I think the likes of Song, Denilson, Diaby, Bendtner, and Vela all came through together. It was pretty obvious that of that lot, Diaby was the most naturally talented. His natural physique, combined with his wonderful technique made him such a great talent. It is such a shame that injury, and perhaps his lack of mental strength at times, prevented him from reaching his potential. I can understand Wenger not wanting to give up on him, but there must come a time. We can only afford 25 over-21 players in our squad, and we can't be carrying players like him.

Yeah, CL. Didn't roundhouse kick the 4th official in the face or anything, just complained about the ref (again). So he'll miss half the group games if we finish 3rd :D

Group games though *shrugs* ... who needs a Manager? ;)

I like the confidence in not including the qualifier there and sure you'll finish 3rd :p

I did say "if" Razz ;) just one group game if we're 4th...

Wenger suspended two years in a row now for not doing much else than we see after every weekend of fixtures in the PL. I'm surprised Fergie hasn't been suspended by UEFA more often, surely he's said the word referee in a slightly negative context after a CL game?

As for Diaby, a few months ago same things were written all the time about Rosicky. And Diaby's much younger than him.

But then again Rosicky was fit most of the time, just often not in his best form. It is hard to judge when you don't know the alternatives (fe how much is being spent on his wages and treatment and who we could get as a replacement) but I wouldn't write him off just yet.

EDIT, from today's press conference:

on Abou Diaby…

There was a little pain in training yesterday so we will not expose him. It is nothing serious, we are just being cautious.

:(

Yeah, CL. Didn't roundhouse kick the 4th official in the face or anything, just complained about the ref (again). So he'll miss half the group games if we finish 3rd :D

BTW, didn't he add something about San Siro's pitch at the same time (that UEFA should look into it)? I read that Barcelona filled some sort of official complaint yesterday.

It crossed my mind that we (he) might have complained about the pitch after Barça did. But I can't remember any specific refereeing ****up during the home leg against Milan for which he confronted the ref, that's what he's been banned and fined for.

It crossed my mind that we (he) might have complained about the pitch after Barça did. But I can't remember any specific refereeing ****up during the home leg against Milan for which he confronted the ref, that's what he's been banned and fined for.

Well I remember his post match comments were very let's say honest. He openly said he thought Milan players were diving all the time because ref's poor decisions encouraged them to do it. But I don't know if this is what he has been charged for or was it something that happened during the game.

team for today

Szczesny, Sagna, Koscielny, Vermaelen, Gibbs, Song, Arteta, Rosicky, Ramsey, Walcott, Van Persie.

Substitutes: Fabianski, Djourou, Santos, Benayoun, Gervinho, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Chamakh.

Archived