tell me this isnt true. ( defenders scoring like crazy)

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Hawshiels:

If it really is such a major issue, what amazes me is that someone hasn't placed a bug report about it - and sent in a saved game for SI to look at.

It may well be a problem, but if it is spoiling people's games (as is being claimed) .... why no bug reports?

icon_confused.gif

p.s. I get really confused on the forums these days. I never know who actually has a real problem and who is just re-writing what they've read other people complain about without experiencing it themselves. This is how 'panic' can set it over something quite trivial. Mountains out of molehills springs to mind. But if it is a bug, will someone please report it properly. icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

what I can see thesedays is that SI don't need anyone to defend their selfs. and they're doing it quite well. also I'm realy confused how some people search for any kind of evidence to prove someone alse's wrong, even if they're not. even when SI confirm "There clearly is an issue for certain combinations of corner takers and defenders, but its not being exploited by AI teams."

while you figure out what's going on with these forums I got one question for you; what's wrong with you?

can someone answer me this question, please.

is this corner set up- chalange Gk and 6 yard box used by AI'teams also? do their players score unrealistic number of goals?

if they don't, it's not a big problem IMO. but if they do, then the game is seriosly flawed.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mitja:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Hawshiels:

If it really is such a major issue, what amazes me is that someone hasn't placed a bug report about it - and sent in a saved game for SI to look at.

It may well be a problem, but if it is spoiling people's games (as is being claimed) .... why no bug reports?

icon_confused.gif

p.s. I get really confused on the forums these days. I never know who actually has a real problem and who is just re-writing what they've read other people complain about without experiencing it themselves. This is how 'panic' can set it over something quite trivial. Mountains out of molehills springs to mind. But if it is a bug, will someone please report it properly. icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

what I can see thesedays is that SI don't need anyone to defend their selfs. and they're doing it quite well. also I'm realy confused how some people search for any kind of evidence to prove someone alse's wrong, even if they're not. even when SI confirm "There clearly is an issue for certain combinations of corner takers and defenders, but its not being exploited by AI teams."

while you figure out what's going on with these forums I got one question for you; what's wrong with you? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mitja: I wasn't defending SI at all. Did you read what I said? I asked why no-one has sent in a saved game or made a bug report about it - that's all.

As for what is wrong with me ..... you only need to take an objective look at these forums to see what is wrong with me. I can't believe how some people behave (or not) on the forums. It's really disappointing for me to see it like this - and then to be challenged personally by you when I ask a simple question.

Sometimes I think I'm the only sane and reasonable person around these forums icon_wink.gif

for me its like this if there are all these problems bugs etc in the latest patch and if most people are getting them then i agree there should be a reissued patch to get rid of problems that can be fixed,on a personal view im 2 month in to a new season with leeds so played a few games no not loads but enough to comment on the patch i feel and i have't seen none of problems people are posting loads of goals in a game defenders scoring all time,this dose't mean they are't happning cos they obviously are or people would't be complaining.so for me no complaints yet yes maybe board confidence is't great but it will do for me and i know its early days in my game on new patch but im pleased,but i understand wot other people are saying who are't happy with new patch so it maybe a decent thing si to release another patch so things are completly sorted.

Wally that was so hard to follow. Need to have gaps between the text..wall of text not punctuated very hard to read.

And apart from the couple of "bugs" that have been raised all other stuff seem fine in 8.02.

There are work arounds for a number of the issues and the only one I can see that is outstanding is the Board Confidence.

As for as the corners/defenders/goals issue well in my game they do not score unfortunately..icon_frown.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by sebsy:

Paul, no offence, but that is just daft.

You are telling us not to use a tactic that is there to be used and is used throughout the game in real life.

How is it not practical to reissue a patch for something that is clearly quite a mess? A further patch should be issued with this problem sorted along with other issues that many people are experiencing. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Further patches reduce time dedicated to FM09.

Further patches not only need to be produced, but then tested extensively.

If i was given the option of spending less than 30 seconds switching off "challenge GK" or making SI re-issue a patch, re test it etc etc just to fix a few minor errors, well i'd rather spend 30 seconds of my time, and let SI make FM09 better.

NB: i have had drogba set to "challenge GK" for an entire season and he hasn't been scoring stupid amounts, infact no one has been scoring phenomanally from corners.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ched:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by sebsy:

Paul, no offence, but that is just daft.

You are telling us not to use a tactic that is there to be used and is used throughout the game in real life.

How is it not practical to reissue a patch for something that is clearly quite a mess? A further patch should be issued with this problem sorted along with other issues that many people are experiencing. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Further patches reduce time dedicated to FM09.

Further patches not only need to be produced, but then tested extensively.

If i was given the option of spending less than 30 seconds switching off "challenge GK" or making SI re-issue a patch, re test it etc etc just to fix a few minor errors, well i'd rather spend 30 seconds of my time, and let SI make FM09 better.

NB: i have had drogba set to "challenge GK" for an entire season and he hasn't been scoring stupid amounts, infact no one has been scoring phenomanally from corners. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I doubt that patching FM08 slows down the development of FM09. It's not like they are writing a new game from scratch. They will have fix this for FM09 anyway.

People who say this is because some defenders are too good at heading and jumping are wrong, it's not. set any player who is half decent and heading and aggression to challenge the keeper and you'll score. midfielders strikers full backs the lot.

the AI doesn't use it as far as I can tell

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mitja:

is this corner set up- chalange Gk and 6 yard box used by AI'teams also? do their players score unrealistic number of goals?

if they don't, it's not a big problem IMO. but if they do, then the game is seriosly flawed. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

As PaulC said above, the AI does not use this corner tactic.

Well Mr. paul it is a flaw of the match engine and it is more important than financial or data bugs.It is crucial it must be corrected.As all of the community is very happy with the previous patches and the match engine.At least there must be a tiny tiny little patch about defenders scoring too much from corners.

best regards

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Wazzerphuk:

if they don't, it's not a big problem IMO. but if they do, then the game is seriosly flawed. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

As PaulC said above, the AI does not use this corner tactic. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

thank you, I have difficulties to understand english sometimes- "but its not being exploited by AI teams" icon14.gif

I think that there are a couple big problems here:

1: great headers score lots of goals, too many. irl nobody scores 1 goal from corner every match.

2: some players attributes are not really accurate imho. Lots of defenders win lots of headers (jumping, strength, bravery...) but not all of them have great skill directing the ball. most of them score goals irl just because their aerial power, and when they also are great heading the ball score near 10 goals some seasons.

Can anyone please explain this to me.

Miles said that for this "scoring defenders" thing to happen "You have to follow various tactical setting changes that would not be that natural, nor would they be in any of the default tactics, unless I'm missing something?"

But later in the thread it was said that just ticking the "challenge gk" box is enough to trigger this?

Could someone confirm if just not using "challenge gk" is enough to avoid the "exploit"?

Thanks!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by PaulC:

There clearly is an issue for certain combinations of corner takers and defenders, but its not being exploited by AI teams. Therefore the simple workaround is not to use it, in the same way as you wouldnt reload the game after a defeat. Simply dont use the challenge keeper instuction and you wont see it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Next time we'll read that we should not set cross ball to often for wingers.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by baris28:

Well Mr. paul it is a flaw of the match engine and it is more important than financial or data bugs.It is crucial it must be corrected. As all of the community is very happy with the previous patches and the match engine.At least there must be a tiny tiny little patch about defenders scoring too much from corners.

best regards </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Absolute nonsense. Financial or data bugs are often impossible to correct by the user, especially financial ones.

This one can be avoided simply by not using it. Why are people struggling with this so much?

And as for a "tiny tiny little patch", there's no such thing I'm afraid. Any time there's any changes to the match engine (or indeed to anything) there's knockon effects. Change one thing, and everything else in the match engine could be affected.

For example, if the AI correctly nullifies the "challenge GK" instruction, then it's possible that someone else is afforded free space in the box and can score bucketloads. So the patch will need further testing, both internally and externally. SI staff will need to check through all the code to ensure that there's no knockon effects as well and that will take away from 09 work.

Tiny tiny little patches involving the match engine simply don't exist.

This could completely ruin our online game, it easy enough to avoid in a single player game but some players will do anything to gain an advantage.

I bet if this happened in FM Live, SI would rush out a patch but for the loyal fans who have been playing CM/FM online for years I guess it tough luck icon13.gif.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by cliff7197:

This one can be avoided simply by not using it. Why are people struggling with this so much? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

All bugs can be avoided simply by not playing the game - does this mean there's no need for fixing them?

erm how am I supposed to know if I am using some tactic which exploits corners ?

I have used the same tactic for about 15 seasons and have only tweaked it slightly every so often. I have used the same tactics on each patch version.

My DC has scored about 12 goals in 22 games since the patch, so what ? i've made some tactic to exploit corners?! what is it ? how do I change the tactic that i've used for 15 seasons so they DON'T score??

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">07 it was not a huge problem as it was alot more random and most defenders only scored 3-6 goals a season usually from this tactic. In 08 they "fixed" it by making it a foul. Then they removed the foul. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

3-6 goals a season in 07???

Try 27.

I had 3 different defenders score over 100 goals for me in 97.

One of them didn't even sign for e until he was 29 years old and he still managed to score 104.

You lot moan about EVERYTHING.

My DNC has just scored a hat trick in a 3-1 win. It's his first goals of the season and has just happened after uploading the new patch.

Reading here, I see there is a problem and I now wonder if I would have won without this. The strange thing is, I didn't see any problem with 8.01 and this is the first problem I've seen. Bit of a shame after all the hard work.

I guess I'll just have to take away the challenge keeper / 6 yard corner routine icon_frown.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Miles Jacobson:

ataman5 - that's not true. You have to follow various tactical setting changes that would not be that natural, nor would they be in any of the default tactics, unless I'm missing something? Even then, it doesn't work every time, just increases your chances of scoring from a corner. I've still to get it to do that, and my team is pretty strong (CL football in 2012). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Miles, I don't think the corner routine I have with Shrewsbury Town in League One isn't natural. The set up I have is very natural and after loading the new patch my DMC, who hadn't scored all season, pops up with a hat trick from corners. I'm using the same routine that I was using in 8.01 with his setting on challenge keeper and 6 yard area.

The odd thing is, I didn't see any problem with corners from the original patch. I know the near post headers generally weren't effective, I think I scored one goal from the flick on, but I was still scoring goals ok from corners.

I seem to score a lot from corners, if I have a corner taker with high corners attribute (19-20) and a strong aerial player challenging the GK. If I have to use a corner taker with for example 16 I score notably less with the same routine.

i'd like to see miles explain how setting a player to challenge the keeper is a tactic that isn't "natural". furthermore, why is the ai so limited that it's unable to ever use options such as challenging the keeper at corners?

this is a massive problem for anyone playing an online game, because you have no guarentee that at any time an opposing player might switch to what si team a "cheat" tactic, giving themselves a massive advantage

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by steves_smith:

The odd thing is, I didn't see any problem with corners from the original patch. I know the near post headers generally weren't effective, I think I scored one goal from the flick on, but I was still scoring goals ok from corners. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Agree- teams are so well drilled in defending corners that at higher levels goals direct from corners are to some extent quite rare.

Ive avoided the player on keeper instruction, but find that scoring near post is just as effective, as its hit and miss whether a player will cover that area or not.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Kill Rock Stars:

i'd like to see miles explain how setting a player to challenge the keeper is a tactic that isn't "natural". furthermore, why is the ai so limited that it's unable to ever use options such as challenging the keeper at corners?

this is a massive problem for anyone playing an online game, because you have no guarentee that at any time an opposing player might switch to what si team a "cheat" tactic, giving themselves a massive advantage </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Maybe its because irl teams will sometimes put a short player just to block the keeper, as teams tend to have their best headers running from deep (I know Spurs do it, and Ive seen Terry doing it for Chelsea).

I personally have never done that in FM, purely because runs from deep are so ineffective and do not mirror the way they work irl, as in FM a run from deep is more of a stroll from deep- hardly attacking the ball. Therefore I tend to put one of my best headers on the keeper.

But whatever way you look at it, putting a good header on the keeper is a logical tactic- but irl it would probably see more than a few fouls go in the keepers favour seeing how they are protected.

So maybe the fix would be to reflect this in FM.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by PaulC:

I realise its a frustration, but its simply not practical for us to re-issue a patch for an exploit that is easy to avoid if you dont want to see it in your game. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_frown.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

In the meantime anyone with a save game that shows multiple examples of it please help us by uploading it so we can get it fixed for the next version. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Uploaded corners_exploit.pkm. Two goals from corners and one from IDFK that uses the corner routine.

Ok, I have read both threads on this now and this is my take:

There clearly is an issue for certain combinations of corner takers and defenders, but its not being exploited by AI teams. Therefore the simple workaround is not to use it, in the same way as you wouldnt reload the game after a defeat. Simply dont use the challenge keeper instuction and you wont see it.

I realise its a frustration, but its simply not practical for us to re-issue a patch for an exploit that is easy to avoid if you dont want to see it in your game.

In the meantime anyone with a save game that shows multiple examples of it please help us by uploading it so we can get it fixed for the next version.

Paul

ps Other thread: Here </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thats basically sticks 2 fingers up to us inline clan players.

"Ok lads do you all promise not to score from corners, SI said that thats the way we should play from now on"

In your view, how many goals from corners are acceptable? I'll try and keep it within your recommended total. icon13.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Ok, I have read both threads on this now and this is my take:

There clearly is an issue for certain combinations of corner takers and defenders, but its not being exploited by AI teams. Therefore the simple workaround is not to use it, in the same way as you wouldnt reload the game after a defeat. Simply dont use the challenge keeper instuction and you wont see it.

I realise its a frustration, but its simply not practical for us to re-issue a patch for an exploit that is easy to avoid if you dont want to see it in your game.

In the meantime anyone with a save game that shows multiple examples of it please help us by uploading it so we can get it fixed for the next version.

Paul

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Paul,

Here's my take/experience of the problem.

I've started a Lazio game in 8.0.2. For my first season I played with various tactics and I think I maybe scored a couple of headers from corners or set pieces, but I don't remember exactly who by.

In my second season, after more tactical tweaks, I've managed to get Stefan Radu to score 7 in 7 games (and because he's a decent defender and scoring goals, he's MoM).

The worrying thing is, stat-wise, I don't think he's got anything over 15, which suggests whatever my setup is (challenge GK I think) I'm exploiting a loophole here.

I don't particularly mind, but what I have found is if I don't set my tactics this way, I score an unrealistically low number of times from corners and am struggling to find a balance.

I've had to tweak or adjust all my tactics for 8.0.2 anyway, as there are definitely notable differences to how the match engine is working, but in quite a few seasons in this game (probably 30) I've never managed to exploit a goal-scoring loophole such as this one.

I'm not demanding you re-release a patch, just take this into consideration for the next game.

It may also be worth downloading a few tactics from the Tactics forum, as it appears there are a few there that are exploiting this "bug".

In the meantime, congratulations on making a great game. I've been buying since CM3, and will continue to do so as this is still by far the best football management sim on the market. It can only be a good thing that you've got such an active forum here who are quick to spot any issues!

I think I have found the "bug" .

When you aim at 6 yard box and have a player set to challenge the GK, then the keeper wont move out into the penalty area and try to catch it(its like he scared or something) - even those with 20 bravery 18+ jumping 17+ arieal ability just stay on the line watching the ball fly into the area..

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Joor:

When you aim at 6 yard box and have a player set to challenge the GK, then the keeper wont move out into the penalty area and try to catch it(its like he scared or something) - even those with 20 bravery 18+ jumping 17+ arieal ability just stay on the line watching the ball fly into the area.. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Amazing observation......! icon_wink.gif

I believe its referred to within he industry as "the corridor of uncertainty" a line running along the 6 yard line between centre backs and GK. Very hard to defend against generally.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Law_Man:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Joor:

When you aim at 6 yard box and have a player set to challenge the GK, then the keeper wont move out into the penalty area and try to catch it(its like he scared or something) - even those with 20 bravery 18+ jumping 17+ arieal ability just stay on the line watching the ball fly into the area.. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Amazing observation......! icon_wink.gif

I believe its referred to within he industry as "the corridor of uncertainty" a line running along the 6 yard line between centre backs and GK. Very hard to defend against generally. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hard to defend against true, but also hard to put those kind of balls in everytime.

Part of the issue may well be the frequency in that any player can deliver deadly corners into this area.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Matej:

FM 07 was great. and my salute to SI with that game.

but what they done this year is very arcade style game, unrealistic match engine. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

FM 2008 is miles better than 2007 ...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jonny2201:

wil lsome one pm me if you can or jsut tell me how to set it so you score loads from your corners </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Read the thread, but it is:

Cross to 6 yard area

Best Headers on Challenge GK, Attack Near Post and Attack Far Post

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dunga99:

This could completely ruin our online game, it easy enough to avoid in a single player game but some players will do anything to gain an advantage. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Umm.. has anybody tried to come up with an adequate defense for it yet?

If not, I don't think we can conclude this yet.

It may simply be that the AI defensive corner routine doesn't handle it well, but you may be able to come up with something that works.

Gerard Pique is my top scorer this season at the moment, with 12 goals and 2 assists. I'm into November at the moment. All are headers from corners. He bagged a hat-trick of headers, too. Bizarrely, he has only one Man of the Match award (that hat-trick). So I do think it may be a bug (a fun one nevertheless).

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Amaroq:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dunga99:

This could completely ruin our online game, it easy enough to avoid in a single player game but some players will do anything to gain an advantage. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It may simply be that the AI defensive corner routine doesn't handle it well, but you may be able to come up with something that works. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The might be a set up for a human player do defend against the corner bug if another human player is using it in a match.

As the AI can't defend against it, the ones who choose to cheat will gain an unfair advantage when they play against the AI.

So the point still stands that this is going to spoil online games.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Amaroq:

It may simply be that the AI defensive corner routine doesn't handle it well, but you may be able to come up with something that works. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

There might be a setup for a human player do defend against the corner bug if another human player is using it in a match.

As the AI can't defend against it, the ones who choose to cheat will gain an unfair advantage when they play against the AI.

So the point still stands that this is going to spoil online games. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Archived