dafuge's FM11 challenge

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

FC_United.png

FC United of Manchester - Blue Square North - 2011/12 Season

After a dodgy start to the season, some tactical tweaking saw us pick up form and go on several fairly lengthly unbeaten runs, leading us to the playoff spots. Something which was slightly worrying was out total lack of discipline.

League Table

League Positions

We managed a very respectable 2nd, but it was bittersweet, as we actually lead Tamworth going into the last 2 games of the season. A home loss against Eastlwood effectively ended our chance of the title. This meant we faced the lottery of the playoffs, where I've got a fairly dismal success record on FM, around 2 in 8. I was not overly confident, despite us having been easily the best team in the league for the second half of the season.

Playoff Semi 1st Leg

Playoff Semi 2nd Leg

A nervy encounter, which we barely came out of. I was prepared for penalties, but big Sammy Hewson kept his cool with a late, late spot kick. We were through to face Altrincham in the final.

Playoff Final

Probably the least enjoyable 10 minutes of my life. Relying on my keeper to score a decisive penalty is not good for nerves, but he slammed it straight down the middle, and we will be playing BSP football next season. Oh the joy.

We were out of the Cups early, losing to teams around us in dismal performances.

Squad

I was happy with my squad in the end; we had depth in every position and goals coming from midfield and up top. We were shakey at the back for a while, but Oliver Nicholas, my Eritrean international, came in and made things more steady, before his injury anyway.

The Key players were O'Halloran up front, the divisions top scorer with 22 goals, whose partnership with Ameobi was lethal at this level. Behind them, Sammy Hewson was superb, reaching double figures with mostly 30 yard screamers.

Finances

We're pretty solid, not sure how we have so much in the bank though. I was well over my wage budget the whole year but we barely lost money. Maybe because of the high attendance, I'm not sure. Still, gives a nice base to build from.

Transfers

As per most people, I brought in a whole new squad, shipping out anyone who was already at the club.

So, promotion at the first time of asking. Task is to simply stay up next year, but if I make the right signings to compliment this squad, anything is possible.

sig.php?u=10095

I posted a quick progress update last night when about 8 games in, well, resumed play today and my run of form has been phenomenal. 18 games in the league now unbeaten (ok I'm out of the FA Cup and FAT..but who cares).

Table

Sorry Jaffa was just reading through the thread and chuckled when I saw that.

Has any one been lucky enough to get Cray come up in their saves? Would love to manage them but extremely doubtful I know with their low rep.

Hassebasse Carshalton Athletic 2011-2012 (season 1)

Took 11 matches to record my first win, and spent the first half of the season fiddling with different tactics. That didn't go so well, so settled for a basic direct 442, and got some decent results towards the end of the season.

League Table

Positions graph

I let my assman do all the recommendations regarding player signings, as I couldn't hire a coach or scout, nor physio to save my life

Transfers

Squad

No players stood out, although my central defenders didn't make complete fools of themselves. My top scorer ended with an amazing 8 goals in all competitions!

No reason to mention the cups.....

Goals for the new season: Play offs and hiring some staff!!

Just had my best striker, Mannion, ruled out for 7-8 weeks. Admittedly we have plenty of cover for strikers, too much perhaps, but he has been in fine form recently, helping guide us to seven wins in our last eight matches.

@hassebasse; I think I can safely say my first season wasnt all that good either and basic tactics at this level plays a huge roll in securing victories. I finished 19th last year, a new basic set of tactics with individual settings and just a couple new players, I'm sitting comfortably in the play-offs 3/4 of the way through. Good luck next season

Congratulations Wonka! :D

Nice to see someone else signing Greg McDermott! How did he do for you, other than the 11 assists?

Ta.

He was great for me, when he wasn't injured. Shipped out early this season though, assman didn't seem to think he could cut it. Tranmere (L1) snapped him up though, so maybe I'm missing something?

Ta.

He was great for me, when he wasn't injured. Shipped out early this season though, assman didn't seem to think he could cut it. Tranmere (L1) snapped him up though, so maybe I'm missing something?

I don't think you're missing anything, your assman however... I think he's missing a few braincells? He's doing fine for me in the BSP, one of the few players who are.

Thanks. Simple seems to be the key for me. Anyone else had trouble signing staff? They seems to be willing to sign for 300 a week, which i cant offer

I've got an assistant manager, two coaches and two physios, all under the £300p/w mark. Michael Bartley (Assistant), Darren Lyons & Ade Akinbiyi (Coaches), Ray Soule & Mark Fairhurst (Physios)

congrats on that win, Jordan.

Drawing 1v1 for ages, then as I change to 'overload' in the last 15minutes, we begin to dominate. First up, an offside that wasnt offside. A goal disalowed. Finally, a penalty, last minute. Knob 'ed spoons it over. Absolutely gutted. Three draws in a row now, but keeps our unbeaten run of 8 up.

Edit: I'm really starting to get peeved off about all the managers and their jobs being on the line, or they could leave. I dont care.

Thanks. Simple seems to be the key for me. Anyone else had trouble signing staff? They seems to be willing to sign for 300 a week, which i cant offer

I did. It seems the only reasonable staff you can get early on are also players. I've got a player/ass man and player/coach who are both pretty decent.

Finally, with tons of players with just 3 months left on their contract, they are will to take pay cuts to remain at the club. Some of up to £100. Very handy indeed. Plus it means I can let the others run out, and not have to pay skyhigh compensation to release them

Annihilator666 - FC United - Season 11/12 - Blue Square North

Table - League Table | Position Graph

Squad - FC United Squad

Transfers - Transfers Summary

Finances - Finance Summary

Other Info - Club Information | Manager Information

Top Scorer - Jack Adams

Records - Overall Records | Season Records

Best Eleven - Overall | Season

Soild first season in the Blue Square North. Things could have been a lot better as I was sitting in the playoff places in January, but an awful run of form saw me drop down the table. Didn't do anything noteworthy in the cups.

Aims for next season are FA Cup run and a top 5 finish in the league.

Season     League                      League Finish    Achievements
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2011/12    Blue Square North           7th              None

OK so apparently everyone went nuts last night and I'm way behind everyone's games now so if I missed your post I apoligize.

Welsh Wizard: Great update! Congrats on promotion. Going unbeaten all year is absolutely incredible and I have no idea how you pulled that off. Fantastic FA cup run as well, a 3-3 draw at home against Everton o.O. McCabe, McKee, and Gallagher were all on my squad last year and its great to see them doing well for others again this year! What sort of formation are you running that you've found to be so dominant? I also envy your finances and youth academy! Between your balance and mine, we might break even by the end of the year :p

Pickemgenius: Great start!

Cerneo: L1? when did this happen and how did I miss it? Slow down! :p

Terk: Congrats on qualifying for the playoffs. I didn't see an update after that one so hopefully I haven't missed you getting promoted.

Willy Wonka: Congrats on promotion. Playoffs are evil and I'm glad you made it through them. I hate your finances as well of course :p

Hassebasse80: 10th of the first season is still a great result! Don't let everyone getting promoted first time for several years get you down. They're many others of us who will struggle all the way though. The first seasons are always particularly tough. Keep us updated on your progress. The challenge isn't about rushing through and being the first to finish, its about the stories that go with it along the way :)

I've skipped over most of the questions I saw as I'm sure they've already been answered :) I'm unfortunately out of days off until Friday so my progress will be much slower as well. I went on a little bit of a run last night, but then faded out again. I'm currently sitting 10th, only about 7 points of the final playoff spot with 11 games to go. I guess its still possible to mount a run this year, but its going to be tough. Salisbury is off in a league of its own at the top of the table with 2nd and 3rd, but 4th through 14th is all separated by less than 10 points. Every single game from here on out is going to be key.

Likewise Quavis, I'm out of days pretty much for the rest of the week after tonight - too much work to do its piling up. Good luck on securing a playoff spot.

Currently facing two play-off rivals one after the other - hopefully we can beat them both to gain an advantage as the last game draws near.

Mid November and I had moved upto 2nd in the league after about 7 games winning in a row. Been knocked out of both cups now, FA Cup 1st round defeat to Sheff Wed.

Down to 4th now though after our first defeat in a while, 1-0 at home to nuneaton

was going to start as Kendal or north ferriby,, but have noticed that Lowestoft are there, which is the closest to my hometown of Ipsiwch.

Hmmm decisions.

Anyone playing as lowestoft yet? Or kendal?

I would prefer to be a team nobody else is.

PS: Noticed there are people playing as North ferriby so i may leave them for now

682.png

Marine FC

2011-12

Blue Square North

League

For the vast majority of the season we were in the play-off places, so it would have been a disappointment had we not finished there. That looked likely when we had a dip in form in the New Year that saw us take just 13 points from 36 available and drop out of the top five, but our recovery was astonishing. Out of the last 42 points available, we took an incredible 35, and had the season been any longer I'd have backed us to chase down Champions Telford. The keys to the resurgence were the rejuvinated form of Callum Bagshaw, the fact that midfielder Matty Crowell began to stamp his authority on matches and the return to fitness of winger Liam Shepherd, who missed three months of action with a hamstring tear.

The play-offs didn't begin well as we went 2-0 down to Nuneaton at Liberty Way, but fought back to claim a 2-2 draw. The return leg got off to a good start with

from Guylain Ndumbu-Nsungu and sealed in extra time thanks to a thunderous drive from right back George Bowyer. We went behind in the final against Histon, but we equalised quickly and from then on were always in control, and never looked like doing anything but bagging our promotion to the BSP.

Financially the season was a disaster. We lost over £100,000 at a pretty steady rate throughout the season and I can't really think where to stem the flow. During this challenge on FM10 with Canvey, I went all out after successful cup runs to mask the problems and keep us solvent and I am going to use the same MO with Marine. A few nice away trips to Football League clubs would do nicely next season.

League Positions Graph

Cups

Suck arse.

Transfers

The standard lots in, lots out that generally greets the start of any attempt at this challenge. Some worked, others didn't, most won't last long at a higher level. I expect the turnover to stay high during the next few years, mainly because I can't help myself.

Terkleton's Top 5 Players

5. Matty Crowell - Took a while to settle into the side but his form in the final quarter of the season was simply immense. Started to pass the ball with authority and never let opponents have time on in themselves. Takes a good corner, which was a source of six or seven goals for us this season. Definitely has the ability to step up to the BSP with us next season.

4. Andy Parry - Recommended by my scouts, has a good leap, is useful in the air, very strong and not particularly slow. That is a pretty good recipe for a defender at this level of the game, and though he got caught out of position on a good few occasions, which led to our leaky defence, he did enough to suggest that he can at least be a squad member next season. Also bagged that rarest of things, a centre back hat-trick, rounded off with a successful penalty.

3. Stephen Johnson - Leg it and cross it is pretty much all there is to Stephen's approach to the game. Educated it may not be, but effective it is. Has the pace to be able to knock it past most of the BSN's static full backs and buy himself the time to cross well. Also drifted in when the ball was on the left flank and managed to bag himself a few goals.

2. Guylain Ndumbu-Nsungu - Played as the deep lying forward of the side, Guylain's creativity was fun to watch, though at times he tried something audacious, only to end up making himself look ridiculous. However, on a number of occasions, it got him out of a tight spot and let him play in his striking partner, Callum Bagshaw. Will definitely be coming with me to the BSP.

1. Callum Bagshaw - Despite a massive dip in form (which coincided with the massive dip in form of the whole side) Callum ended up with twenty goals, the third top scorer in the BSN and a generally excellent season. He seemed to be put off for a while by the manager of every single side we faced saying that he had to be stopped, but I had patience with him and he came good, firing on every available cylinder as we raced towards the end of the season.

Marine FC Goal of the Season

I love this goal for the simplicity of the play. A one-two, a low cross, the awareness of Ndumbu-Nsungu to not go for the ball as he was standing offside and the neat, simple finish by Doherty.

OK, so the defence don't exactly close him down quickly, but this is a twenty-five yard belter from a centre back. Kudos to him simply for having the balls to take it on.

Do I really need to say anything about this? Imagine that it's Messi or Villa catching a volley like that and what your reaction would be. Stunning strike, stunning goal, I suspect it will take me a long time to top it.

Next Season

Simple. Avoid relegation.

Career Overview

Season League Final Pos. Achievements
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2011/12 Blue Square North 2nd Promoted via play-offs

Marine FC 100 Club*

Name (Position) League Games (Overall Games); League Goals (Overall Goals); Average Rating
(Dates at club)

No entrants yet

Managerial Record

Season Games Won Lost Drawn For Against Win %
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2011/12 51 29 9 13 112 67 56.86

Total 51 29 9 13 112 67 56.86

*This is a feature tracking those who have played 100 or more games for me at Marine. With goalkeepers, the league goals (overall goals) figures are replaced by clean sheets.

was going to start as Kendal or north ferriby,, but have noticed that Lowestoft are there, which is the closest to my hometown of Ipsiwch.

Hmmm decisions.

Anyone playing as lowestoft yet? Or kendal?

I would prefer to be a team nobody else is.

PS: Noticed there are people playing as North ferriby so i may leave them for now

Urgh, Ipswich :p

Good luck with whoever you start with.

PS: Grats Terkles

After a tense end to the season, playing Cambridge, Nuneaton, Gainsborough and FC Halifax in my final four matches (All contenders for the final play-off spots), I made it. A win over Halifax, defeat to Nuneaton and a draw to Cambridge, the final game of the year against Gainsborough was to be the final decider. Lucky for me a draw was enough to secure 4th place, albeit it on goal difference. Gainsborough go out on goal difference, though.

Wish me luck :\ Eek - playing Nuneaton who I just lost to in the first playoff match

Welsh Wizard: Great update! Congrats on promotion. Going unbeaten all year is absolutely incredible and I have no idea how you pulled that off. Fantastic FA cup run as well, a 3-3 draw at home against Everton o.O. McCabe, McKee, and Gallagher were all on my squad last year and its great to see them doing well for others again this year! What sort of formation are you running that you've found to be so dominant? I also envy your finances and youth academy! Between your balance and mine, we might break even by the end of the year :p

I find the simpler the better at this level. So play 442 rigid and control when at home to try and get early goals then defend when 2 or so up. Maintaining leads are key as when I didn't defend teams would come back very quick and the whole game would be flipped on it's head. Away I play more direct but more defensive with my two forwards with similar roles they get behind the defence and have each other as support most times.

I think Everton were shocked we attacked them. We were 2-0 the 3-1 up at points but they were far superior and managed to get even in the 89th min thanks to Gabri(Barca and Ajax). Away they just showed who they really are.

McKee pick up injuries and Benall did well so kept his spot for most of the season but his passing is quite decent so could play a part this season where as I'm looking to get rid of Benall. McCabe and Gallagher were signnings with this season in mind looked decent at the end of the last.

Usually BSP is almost the same quallty as BSN/BSS and not much of a leap. Anyone seeing the same?

Archived